TeamK's build thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess its time to start this...

The first thing I'll say is this build is probably going to take a very long time. Currently the budget for this project is $0.23. This will be a pay as you go project and funds will not begin to be appropriated to the project until probably Fall or my Harley sells... which ever comes first =)

I got the wife to finally go through the giant pile of left over boxes from the move and sort them and pile what goes up stairs to be sorted and put away or donated to good will... which enabled me to get some pictures and take some mesurements.

The room is pretty much 30x12, the main area has a 8' 9 1/2" clerance to the bottom of the ceiling joist. The I beam clerance is 7' 11 1/2" and the HVAC duct is 7' 8 1/2".

I've been trying to learn to use Sketch up... but I'm not very good at drawing... but I'll keep trying to see if I can come up with something to post.

My AV closet under the steps

My initial thought right now is to have a counter top along the back wall for snacks. Then 2 rows of 3 recliners and a bar top right behind the 2nd row with 3 bar stools. for a total of 9 seats.

I'm open to any and all feedback and suggestions. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

As a point of referance from the back wall (the wall by the bottom of the steps) its 18 feet to the HVAC duct
post #4 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
With that nice room depth, you've got plenty of room for a false wall and an acoustically transparent screen. And maybe an IB sub chamber in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamK View Post

go through the giant pile of left over boxes from the move and sort them and pile what goes up stairs to be sorted and put away or donated to good will...

Lol, that brings back memories...
post #5 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so doing some rough figures...

I need to leave 6 feet by the slider for a mud room so that gives me 24 feet for the HT room.

How large should the area behind the false wall be? 3 feet?

That would leave me with 21 x 12... 11 feet to the front row of seats?... that would leave 10 feet... 7 feet for the second row of seats... that leaves 3 feet... There is no way I'm going to fit a counter top along the back wall let along a bar and bar stools....
post #6 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Where do you plan on entering the theater? If you could draw on paper the layout of your basement, could give us (at least me) a better idea. Just draw it, and take a pic and post.

I Cannot Wait!

The name of my build says it all.
post #7 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I need to leave 6 feet by the slider for a mud room so that gives me 24 feet for the HT room.
Ah, didn't know that some of the 30' was spoken for.

Quote:
How large should the area behind the false wall be? 3 feet?
2-3 feet
post #8 of 63 Old 03-30-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, added a picture of the basement layout. I was thinking the door would be at the bottom of the steps... but that would bring you into the back where I'm thinking the riser will need to be the full width of the room. Tedd had suggested maybe bringing the riser all the way out to the basement steps....

The other option would be be put a the door just in front of the screen which would be around where the HVAC duct is.
post #9 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mocked up using Palliser Rhumba 41918's

post #10 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I think in your other thread you mentioned something about wanting a wine cellar. It seems to me that you aren't getting full use out of the space at the bottom of your stairs. What if you turned the stairs, (so they were an U instead of an L), it seems you would then be able to put that space to work as a wine cellar and/or storage. Assumes you leave the door as you drew it above. Some people favor the rear door as it allows people to exit without distracting other viewers. Not a deal breaker in my opinion.

EDIT - Like this:
post #11 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I never thought of that... I'll have to run that by the office of budgets and appropriations tonight. =)

As for the door placement.... I would have a hard time fitting 3 seats in the back and leave room for a full asile with out putting the end seat right up against the wall. Not to mention figuring out where to put the steps for the riser... in the room out of the room?
post #12 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have no idea what it would cost, but can't be that much. Its just wood and stuff, right? Turning the stairs is something that would have made a difference in my last house that I didn't think of till later. Flow wise I think it makes it so you come down and then all the action is in one direction.

EDIT - and you still have the slider for moving stuff in/out.
post #13 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

As you mentioned, the slider will be our access route for brining anything large in or out of the basement so I'm not concerned about the U turn. However we did go through a house where the stairs to the second floor were like that... that was a big reason we didn't go with that floor plan.

As for changing the steps, I don't see how it could cost very much... the steps are modular (I watched them install them) so you just pull the bottom set off, expand the landing and install the same steps.

My general contractor is coming by tomorrow to install some plumbing in the powder room and wine workshop so I'll have him give me his thoughts and maybe get a quote if the wife buys into it.
post #14 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
You were going to build the second wall in front of that stairwell wall and frame in the support columns?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #15 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I will build a second wall and that support column will end up inside the wall. From stud to stud the room would then be exactly 12' wide. Figure on loosing 3 inches to drywall ect and that puts me down to 11' 9' wide.
post #16 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the best way to ensure isolation from the stairwell. Were you able to look at a double door entry? Two doors that when closed create an airlock.

Ted

post #17 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

That is not very likely.... It will probably end up being 1 solid core door, maybe some drywall with GG on the inside....
post #18 of 63 Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Use MDF and GG on the inside

1 3/4" solid core door slab

Ted

post #19 of 63 Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so my AV company was out today installing our security system and a touch screen in the master bedroom.... They think everything so far with the theater plan is in line. We talked about lighting control which should turn out pretty cool. We also talked about video matrix switches some amp options.

I mocked up a riser stool to simulate a 16" riser with a 15" finished soffit... it comes out to be pretty tight... not sure what to do about that....

My AV company is going to give me some projector and screen size ideas based on my seating distances so we'll see where that gets me.
post #20 of 63 Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Some progress from the rest of the basement.

post #21 of 63 Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Went down in the basement tonight and snapped down some chaulk lines... the wife approves. I'm thinking about putting a 3' 6" IB chamber and 3' 6" false wall. That would leave me with 17 feet from the screen to the back of the room and 9' to the center of the first row and leave 8' for the second row.... Do you think I could fit a 9' screen with this configuration? Is those areas large enough for the IB and false wall areas?
post #22 of 63 Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Went down in the basement tonight and snapped down some chaulk lines... the wife approves. I'm thinking about putting a 3' 6" IB chamber and 3' 6" false wall. That would leave me with 17 feet from the screen to the back of the room and 9' to the center of the first row and leave 8' for the second row.... Do you think I could fit a 9' screen with this configuration? Is those areas large enough for the IB and false wall areas?

3'6" is a lot of space for a false wall if you are talking about screen wall?

I'm sure you already know but ideally the volume of the IB chamber should be 10 x total Vas for the drivers you are using. I believe folks frequently go down to as low as 6xVas with a well insulated (absorption) chamber. Mine is at about 7xVas.

Cheers.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #23 of 63 Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
My ib chamber baffle wall is 4' from the concrete foundation. After double drywall, osb, etc. my inside dimensions are a bit bigger than 3' wide. I am also around 7-8x vas for 4 18" drivers.
post #24 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Moggie, I appologize... but I don't already know. I have not yet done my research on IB subs as of yet. I've heard some really great things about them and I look forward to reading all about them probably tonight or at the latest this weekend. At the moment I'm just throwing some numbers out there looking for some feedback much like "3'6" seems like a lot of room for the screen wall"...

How much space between the sub chamber and the screen wall would be ideal?
post #25 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Moggie, I appologize... but I don't already know. I have not yet done my research on IB subs as of yet. I've heard some really great things about them and I look forward to reading all about them probably tonight or at the latest this weekend. At the moment I'm just throwing some numbers out there looking for some feedback much like "3'6" seems like a lot of room for the screen wall"...

How much space between the sub chamber and the screen wall would be ideal?

Not sure there is really an ideal amount of space - but given your room dimensions, you might be giving up too much. I have quite a bit of length to work with so I'm not worried about giving up a bit for the IB and screenwall. My plan calls for 4' of space for the IB chamber and 18" of space behind the screen, but I'm thinking of making it a bit bigger. I'll probably bring it out 2 feet. I just ordered a new large center speaker that is 14x16x36.
post #26 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

=( I love big booming bass when stuff blows up =( If i don't go with IB sub, am I going to have to pay an arm and a leg to get it?
post #27 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I was trying to think of a theme for my theater today and what I came up with was and I Robot theme... not sure what to do other then the blue V.I.K.I. bar around the room... I'll have to watch the movie again tonight to see if I can come up with any other good ideas....

What do you think?
post #28 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Blue light is a great idea. You might find an i-robot prop. Like a head or hand.

Ted

post #29 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds cool, I love the visuals of that movie. Maybe you could work some of the exposed mechanicals in the robot arms / legs into your projector mount or something.

I recall a lot of chrome and translucent white as well.
post #30 of 63 Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently the wife does not like I Robot... =( soooo... no I Robot theme. She suggested Lord of the Rings... I told her that someone else was doing a LoTR theme and she says "who? Someone we know" and I say... No, someone on the forums... her reply Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard" =)

Another funny quote... I just got off the phone with a drywall contractor, I explain to him what the project is and why I need twice as much drywall as a normal room would be. His reply... "Well I don't know what that, what was it Green something? stuff is but we do alot of theaters and no one I've ever heard of has done any of that stuff. We normally just put 1/2 drywall up over some sound insulation between the studs or some people use this stuff called Quiet rock, have you ever heard of it?"

So I spend the next 15mins explaining why this way is better... Oh and another funny comment "and you're planning on doing this on the ceiling also? That really doesn't make any sense, your sound is going to go out the walls mostly".... /smack
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page