Building a new house wondering what size screen and what colors to paint room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The dimensions of the room are 18' 11" x 14'. I was wondering what would be the biggest sized screen i could use with a projector in here, or should I just wall mount a 70-75in flat panel. I wont be moving in till September so I am also thinking about some of those new Samsung panels that are coming out in the 70in+ sizes.

I believe the ceilings are 8ft. From what I have been reading so far i should paint the walls and ceiling a dark color. I was just wondering what the consesice is for best color.

Also does the carpet I chose make a lot of difference in the sound quality. I will be keeping in use my mythos 1 as my 7 speakers and the deftech super cube 1 as my sub. Should I add a 2nd sub to this?

Lastly how many ca6 cables should I run around my house if i want to do home automation latter with control 4?

Thank you all for your time and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhawk911 View Post

The dimensions of the room are 18' 11" x 14'. I was wondering what would be the biggest sized screen i could use with a projector in here, or should I just wall mount a 70-75in flat panel. I wont be moving in till September so I am also thinking about some of those new Samsung panels that are coming out in the 70in+ sizes.

I believe the ceilings are 8ft. From what I have been reading so far i should paint the walls and ceiling a dark color. I was just wondering what the consesice is for best color.

Also does the carpet I chose make a lot of difference in the sound quality. I will be keeping in use my mythos 1 as my 7 speakers and the deftech super cube 1 as my sub. Should I add a 2nd sub to this?

Lastly how many ca6 cables should I run around my house if i want to do home automation latter with control 4?

Thank you all for your time and help.

The size of the screen you desire really depends on how far away you are going to be sitting from the screen. If the room is 18' long do you have any idea where your prime seating position will be?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The screen size is dependent on a number of factors including acoustics (where are you gonna place those speakers if you have the biggest screen size you can get?), the capability of the projector's light output and the distance at which you are sitting. As a rule of thumb, I don't determine screen size until other factors are determined...namely exactly where are my seats going to go and my speakers which is partially determined by the limitations of the room. Word of advice...DON't go with the BIGGEST screen size you can get. This is often the first mistake people make AND can often be the first bit of bad news we have to break to a client is that the BIGGEST screen they bought won't work well for their room.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #4 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I agree with both of the previous posts. You need to make some other decisions first...Like are you going to try to put two rows of seating in or just one? What aspect ratio are you more interested in? Are you going to go with an acoustically transparent screen and place your speakers behind or no?

Generally speaking theres no problem with using a projector in a room that size. If it were me, id much rather spend the money on a decent projector and screen that drop money for a TV that large.

One good sub would be adequate for that room...its all personal preference though, you may want more low end...but thats something that given some fore thought can be added later on....

I think your main concern at this point...is if you are building a house, you REALLY should think about sound proofing ahead of time...there will NEVER be a better time to treat your room than during the construction phase. Even if you aren't concerened about sound proofing now...think about years into the future, will it ever be a concern? Better to do it now than try to cobble something together retrospectively, or end up gutting your HT and starting over someday...unless you are just that sort of masochistic personality...there are a few like that around... ;-)

Its just something to seriously consider. A phone call or an email to the right person could save you a world of trouble someday.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Certainly I am NOT a pro and can only share personal experience and opinion.

First, what is your "visual experience goal"??

If Theater is one of your goals you will not achieve a genuine (IMO) with a 60 or 70 inch television - a 100in diagonal image is what gives our family that "at the movies" visual experience.

I only go by what looks good to my eyeballs which, in the final analysis, is the only thing that counts to each viewer. Our room is 17ft wide and I project across the width. I shelf mount (made easy as our projector has GREAT optical lens shift capability). Since the projector with room behind for cables requires about 1 1/2 feet I net a 15 1/2 lens-to-screen actual throw distance. Our current screen at that distance using our older model 720p Panasonic projector does a GREAT job yielding a 120in diagonal image with 16:9 aspect ratio video content. It looks so good I will probably expand image area to allow me to experiment with 130 to 140 inch diagonal images.

You are a lot less likely to be unhappy with a bigger screen than one that is too small. I am such a theater dummy that I have never been concerned with acoustics in my room. It is a converted triple detached garage and we find our 5:1 Onkyo surround does a great job delivering audio - when I am watching dvd concerts with old, stereo soundtracks then I power up my 2:1 VERY powerful system and mix it with the 5:1 and I can almost move the building off of the foundation if I care to crank it up!!

Okay - I don't know lumens from lamberts and all of the associated math of the "professionals" - all I know is what looks and sounds good to us which I have shared above.
Good Luck!!
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

Certainly I am NOT a pro and can only share personal experience and opinion.

First, what is your "visual experience goal"??

If Theater is one of your goals you will not achieve a genuine (IMO) with a 60 or 70 inch television - a 100in diagonal image is what gives our family that "at the movies" visual experience.

I only go by what looks good to my eyeballs which, in the final analysis, is the only thing that counts to each viewer. Our room is 17ft wide and I project across the width. I shelf mount (made easy as our projector has GREAT optical lens shift capability). Since the projector with room behind for cables requires about 1 1/2 feet I net a 15 1/2 lens-to-screen actual throw distance. Our current screen at that distance using our older model 720p Panasonic projector does a GREAT job yielding a 120in diagonal image with 16:9 aspect ratio video content. It looks so good I will probably expand image area to allow me to experiment with 130 to 140 inch diagonal images.

You are a lot less likely to be unhappy with a bigger screen than one that is too small. I am such a theater dummy that I have never been concerned with acoustics in my room. It is a converted triple detached garage and we find our 5:1 Onkyo surround does a great job delivering audio - when I am watching dvd concerts with old, stereo soundtracks then I power up my 2:1 VERY powerful system and mix it with the 5:1 and I can almost move the building off of the foundation if I care to crank it up!!

Okay - I don't know lumens from lamberts and all of the associated math of the "professionals" - all I know is what looks and sounds good to us which I have shared above.
Good Luck!!

^^^^ This is exactly why you are one of my favorite posters on the site, my thoughts exactly
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've yet to see anyone come in here and say, "Geesh, I wish I had a smaller screen." However, it's often reported that people wish they had a bigger screen. It is a matter of personal taste, and I like the idea that it all depends on where you sit at the movies. I'm a front row kind of guy, so an 85" screen was as small as I was willing to go for my small 11'x12' room. I now wish I would have gone a bit larger...

Budget Home Theater:
Denon AVR-1911 Receiver, Bic V-1220 Subwoofer, Micca MB42/C Speakers, Epson 8350 Projector, Home-made ~90" 16:9 Screen, Berkline 13175
post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I am thinking 2 or 3 rows of seating and starting them about 6-7 ft back or so I want to do seat risers to create the stadium seating look and feel. If go with a flat panel I'll probably just just do one row of seats.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhawk911 View Post
I am thinking 2 or 3 rows of seating and starting them about 6-7 ft back or so I want to do seat risers to create the stadium seating look and feel. If go with a flat panel I'll probably just just do one row of seats.
I dont think with only 19' 3 rows is realistic, especially if you ever want recliners. Even if your first row was only at 6 feet, which imo is VERY close, you'll need 6-7 feet per row. 2 rows would be very doable though.

If you really want more seating I'd go two rows and place them further back and leave room for "kid" seats on the floor up front, like bean bags etc.

If you want a PJ go for it...a room that size these no reason not to. If you are really worried about getting the right screen size, just buy the PJ first and project on the wall or a bed sheet...and buy the screen later, after you are sure of what you want.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page