Sony VW1000 4k, 13' Scope, and Ten 21 Inch Subs - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 438 Old 04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I have seen professional painters always mix portions of all the stock for a job into the bucket or sprayer. This must be how they get around the batch color shift problem.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 438 Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alex,

It has been quite the year for you with this build. I have just finished reading this entire thread that I some how missed. When it is completed you will be so happy, and it will bring you so much enjoyment. Like you I like my sports cars but I get a lot more use and enjoyment out of my HT.

Paint can kick your a-- some times... We installed a FO star ceiling and my wife went to touch up the caulked seams and caulked screw holes. She bought the paint from the same place, with some code. It did not match! We had to pull out 989 FO's from their holes in the ceiling and have the ceiling professionally spray painted. That did not work so well so they had to do it again. Then I had to reinsert all of the FO back into the holes.... Welcome to DYI... But in the end it was all worth it!

Looking forward to seeing the end results!

Best of luck,

Jim
post #273 of 438 Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I have seen professional painters always mix portions of all the stock for a job into the bucket or sprayer. This must be how they get around the batch color shift problem.

Yeah, I've done that quite a few times actually. I have all commercial grade painting equipment because I have a lot of rental properties that are always needing painted.

This paint was very different than anything I've ever experience before this episode which also ended up puzzling the Valspar rep. He came out and looked at the mess that the paint had caused me. I explained to him about how 5 coats was not covering the drywall mud and had places that I showed hime which were going to get covered by insulshield. He said that something had to have happened in the factory because not only was the original paint not covering correctly it was atleast 3-5 shades lighter than the other paint.

Lowes gave me about $250 worth of paint and materials and the Valspar rep gave me $300 in the correct paint. I rolled the entire room and ceiling then cut in around the corners and soffit. It now looks OK but could look better. I'm just not even going to worry with it anymore because I'm going to add fabric panels everywhere at some point. I'll just take my time with the panels and do sections at a time when I actually have the time.
post #274 of 438 Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

Alex,

It has been quite the year for you with this build. I have just finished reading this entire thread that I some how missed. When it is completed you will be so happy, and it will bring you so much enjoyment. Like you I like my sports cars but I get a lot more use and enjoyment out of my HT.

Paint can kick your a-- some times... We installed a FO star ceiling and my wife went to touch up the caulked seams and caulked screw holes. She bought the paint from the same place, with some code. It did not match! We had to pull out 989 FO's from their holes in the ceiling and have the ceiling professionally spray painted. That did not work so well so they had to do it again. Then I had to reinsert all of the FO back into the holes.... Welcome to DYI... But in the end it was all worth it!

Looking forward to seeing the end results!

Best of luck,

Jim

Ouch! Yes that sounds like a nightmare as well!
post #275 of 438 Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been very productive this weekend!

Got the risers started and completed with step lights and outlets. My brother in law helped me hang the dywall in the media closet. Framer also helped me hang all the doors and the bathroom vanity. I'm wore out is an understatement!

Now its time to figure out why the kegerator is producing a lot of foam for the first pour! I need to cool the tower I'm sure but think there is something else going on as well.

Next up is the IB wall which will be hard by myself but will start building sub boxes tomo or Tuesday. The linacoustic should be here in a couple of days and carpet hopefully will get laid by the end of the week.
post #276 of 438 Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Next up is the IB wall ...

All right, an IB wall! Looking forward to those pics (hint, hint).

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #277 of 438 Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. I bought 4 sheets of 3/4 MDF to start building one of the horns and I noticed my dimensions are not converted from Soho's plans to mine in revit correctly!

I have no idea where I messed up transfering the dimensions when redrawing the plans but they are wrong. If there are any savvy people with sketchup that wouldnt mind redrawing these plans of just one of the horns to 3/4" I would be forever in your debt!

I'm just going to start cutting the mdf that I have for the other 21's since I have the correct cutlist for them. I will try to redraw the horn again but if I spend another 3+ hours drawing them only to start all over I may just give up on the two horns. Just too much going wrong in the past week to get mad at this as well. May just do 8 21's and then save the horns for my garage or something at a later time if cant get them drawn correctly before the baffle wall needs to go up. They are drawn in sketchup with a wood thickness of 11/16.

EDIT

I got it really close! Man I was ready to say the heck with them but now there is like 1/16 difference in my plans to his. Will clear my work space of sheetrock and make room to start the horns first thing tomo. I have like 15 sqft of drywall to cut and hang before throwing out my scraps.
post #278 of 438 Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I dont know what to do! I have the wood ready to cut but dont know if should use horns since I'm getting some feadback about using really small enclosures for the mach 5 subs and put 4400 watts to each driver. That would really defeat the purpose of building horns for the upper FR and letting large enclosures take over the ULF.

What to do what to do????

I'm cutting wood tonight so any input would be great as I'm leaning towards 10 sealed or 8 sealed and 2 horns for the pool area outdoors.
post #279 of 438 Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I'm cutting wood tonight so any input would be great as I'm leaning towards 10 sealed or 8 sealed and 2 horns for the pool area outdoors.

Why seal them at all if you live out where making noise isn't a problem? I left the backs of my 8 IB15's open and just sealed the theater itself... well... except for the HVAC in and out. Make the theater the speaker box. Sit inside the subwoofer. Probably too simplistic.
post #280 of 438 Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Why seal them at all if you live out where making noise isn't a problem? I left the backs of my 8 IB15's open and just sealed the theater itself... well... except for the HVAC in and out. Make the theater the speaker box. Sit inside the subwoofer. Probably too simplistic.

I dont have enough space behind the IB wall to go true IB if thats what you mean.
post #281 of 438 Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I dont have enough space behind the IB wall to go true IB if thats what you mean.

Yes, that is what I mean. I haven't been following your build closely.
post #282 of 438 Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

OK, I dont know what to do! I have the wood ready to cut but dont know if should use horns since I'm getting some feadback about using really small enclosures for the mach 5 subs and put 4400 watts to each driver. That would really defeat the purpose of building horns for the upper FR and letting large enclosures take over the ULF.

What to do what to do????

Obviously the output is not going to be an issue so you could probably avoid the horns all together and not notice.
post #283 of 438 Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've sped up the proccess quite a bit over the last week and am still rolling along. I got the first sub box about 75% complete tonight. I'm going to go with 10 sealed subs at 6cuft each with 2100 watts to each of them from FP10000s.

The boxes are 1.85'x7.85'x2.3' with double front baffle and double rear panel.
post #284 of 438 Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A couple decisions need to be made here in the next day or so.

The carpet installers came to measure today and I let them measure the entire space for laying the carpet. I havent decided if I should put the baffle wall on top of the carpet or if I should use some insulation board for everything to sit on enstead of trying to put a chalk line on carpet. I am planning to put the false screen wall on top of carpet since there wont be any stage so having black carpet between the baffle and false wall is a must.

Any suggestions on what to place all the sub boxes and baffle wall wood on?
post #285 of 438 Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, warp drive is still engaged as I'm finishing up with the linacoustic tonight. The electricians finished today except the step lights which will have to wait until after the carpet is installed, hopefully by the 8th.

The sony 4k, oppo BD, and some mounting hardware will be here Tuesday. Jeff from JTR says speakers will ship next week, same thing he said 3 weeks ago so lets hope they do this time. The 8 Mach 5 21s will ship beginning of the week, and the Denon AVR should ship mid week. And the stewart screen should be about ready to ship as well, no word from them though.

Wow! Its finally coming along. The 4 month layoff with my son being born 2 months early really threw everything off there for a while.
post #286 of 438 Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First layer of linacoustic is up. One more to go!

Thought I could get both layers up tonight but I'm beat lol. Will finish tomorrow. I'm also going to be short by about 25sqft. I would just order from fabricmate but man they are slow shipping for the price! I paid like $150 and took over a week. My local HVAC guy that had no clue about any of the names of the different materials finally got back with me and said can get certainteed so will probably go with him from here on out as he takes care of all my rental properties and our house systems. Great guy but I swear the guys of the trade that work with these materials every day dont know them by their names. They must call the stuff something else because I literally called every company in the phone book about purcdhasing any of the different materials that are pretty much the same thing and they all acted the same way, TOTALLY CONFUSED! I could have gotten OC from Lowes but even they were confused and couldnt promise any ETA for it to arrive at the store.
post #287 of 438 Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
Well just caught upto this build & went through your thread. Going to be something s-a-w-eet. Subscribed.

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #288 of 438 Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finished putting up the second layer of linacoustic. I am short a 3x6' section!!! Man, I dont know what I'm gonna do. If fabric mate cant ship faster then I'm gonna have to track some down some how in another city.

post #289 of 438 Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM

I've got probably 60ft at least left over of the linacoustic. pm me if you don't find something local.

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #290 of 438 Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time to move one of the sub enclosures before it gets too heavy. On its way into the theater!

post #291 of 438 Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Monster arrived today along with the Oppo. I was impressed with the Oppo's packaging! The Sony was packaged very well too.

post #292 of 438 Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any advice on construction of the baffle wall before I get started tomorrow?

I'm thinking just 2x4s then build 3/4" platforms for the LCR and height speakers with 2x4s angled down holding up the platform. The wall will be covered in 3/4" MDF and 1" linacoustic. I'm thinking about leaving a small space between the sub enclosures and the wall construction then sealing with GG sealant and covering with linacoustic.

I also wont have access to behind it after screwing the mdf up. So that made me think about having a space between the sub enclosures cut and screwed way I can remove one section of linacoustic and mdf. The section right in the middle at the bottom

Other than that should the 2x4s be pleanty rigid once faced with mdf? I dont want to over do it.
post #293 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Your Ht is going to be GREAT!!!! Those subs are going to shake you & your neighbours house,I like it when other Ky people have A+ ht,Im jealous!!!
post #294 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hate you so much I would love that Sony.
post #295 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
That PJ is going to be sweet.
post #296 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM

I like it when other AVS members use Revit. I know Inventor and was never able to figure out AutoCAD or Revit, although I never made a solid effort.

Sweet theater. I've been watching for a long time. Keep it coming.
post #297 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright need some serious input. The sub enclosures weigh around 300lbs and once the subs are added they will be around 500lbs. How would you all install the drivers? I see two options.

1. Have the box on its side 28 inches high way can just sit the drivers into the cabinet to screw them in and then turn the box over onto its 24.5" side. But then we would need to move it into place (no more than a few foot at most) on concrete floor with insulation foam glued to bottom of box. How hard and how many people?

2. Put the boxes in their places now but struggle with mounting the drivers upright. I was thinking about notching out a curve into a 2x4 to use a a jig just to hold the weight of the drivers while two others pushed them into the enclosure as I screw them into place.

What would you all do? Any other options? Need advice as one enclosure is about finished and in place but who knows when the Mach 5 drivers will even ship. They were supposed to ship yesterday but I dont have a customs broker so Mark is trying to get that straight I guess. Who knows!
post #298 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Your Ht is going to be GREAT!!!! Those subs are going to shake you & your neighbours house,I like it when other Ky people have A+ ht,Im jealous!!!

Thanks! Fortunately we dont have any neighbors!
post #299 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

I hate you so much I would love that Sony.

When my wife was helping me get it out of the box she said, wow we have a pj better than our local theater.
post #300 of 438 Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR7 View Post

I like it when other AVS members use Revit. I know Inventor and was never able to figure out AutoCAD or Revit, although I never made a solid effort.

Sweet theater. I've been watching for a long time. Keep it coming.

Thanks. And yes Revit takes some getting used to especially when one has been using AutoCad for a while. Its completely different. I've never used or heard of Inventor. I had to learn CAD and Revit in school so just keep using Revit for everything now. I really like it for modeling actual structures in 3D since you draw them in 2D and it auto renders it in 3D according to parameters you set when drawing in 2D.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page