Sony VW1000 4k, 13' Scope, and Ten 21 Inch Subs - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Why the LT series over the Z series? Z16 looks like it might be a good fit for your space.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Why the LT series over the Z series? Z16 looks like it might be a good fit for your space.
Because they did away with the 10" driver model and I need to reach reference all the way back to the third row(30+ feet) preferably and the LT20 replacement isn't as loud as the LT10 more less the LT20. Then throw in the price difference of about $2000-$3000/screen speaker it adds up really quick since have to use their dedicated amps. I would rather go with Alcons from the start than do that I think. I haven't researched the Z series hardly at all since the price and output differences are so great but from what I have read they are a tad bit more refined.

I could be totally wrong how I'm looking at it but just don't see the z8s working out from behind my screen for all the non-LCR speakers.

I really wish they had a z10 then I think they would be a lot closer fit for sure. But, I'm all ears if I'm not seeing something or missing something. It just seems like they would be going backwards in terms of high SPL.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

How often do you need to hit reference in your third row?

-

Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How often do you need to hit reference in your third row?
Lol not often but second row always and the z8s wouldn't work for that so would have to use the big boys for all screen speakers which would cost more than my entire speaker 32 ch setup. That's a lot of cash for just screen speakers.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Makes sense. Can't wait to see it come together.

-

Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Looking forward to your impressions.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pair of LT10s on way from across the pond. Think will also order a new third today for a true LCR demo. No exciting pictures but I'm getting there. Also picked up a Sammy UHD player and some movies this past weekend.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Lol not often but second row always and the z8s wouldn't work for that so would have to use the big boys for all screen speakers which would cost more than my entire speaker 32 ch setup. That's a lot of cash for just screen speakers.
Pitty the fool sitting in the 1st row if you want to hit reference at 3rd row!

I must wear pink panties.....................can only stomach -10 db's..........more than that I'm crying, "UNCLE!"
Old 08-02-2016, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Pitty the fool sitting in the 1st row if you want to hit reference at 3rd row!

I must wear pink panties.....................can only stomach -10 db's..........more than that I'm crying, "UNCLE!"

Lol. Pink panties
Old 08-02-2016, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ordering a new Z10 for center speaker. Peter is having one saved by Quested when they produce their first 8 units so whenever that happens will have the third on the way for LCR demo.

The Z10 uses the same drivers as the LT10 but they arranged in the cabinet a little different. Think just better coverage for a center channel was the goal but exact same drivers. So can't beat the timing of hearing about these being produced. Glad that this Z series speakers matches the output of the LT series and even adds a tad better design factor.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The Z series and LT series use different tweeters. The LTs use a modified Beyma TPL-150. The Zs use one of the Mundorfs. I'm not sure which one. Of the two, the Mundorfs are said to sound a little bit better. The Beyma's can take a little bit more power and play louder. Both should be great. And apparently sound identical. Pretty cool stuff.

-

Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Z series and LT series use different tweeters. The LTs use a modified Beyma TPL-150. The Zs use one of the Mundorfs. I'm not sure which one. Of the two, the Mundorfs are said to sound a little bit better. The Beyma's can take a little bit more power and play louder. Both should be great. And apparently sound identical. Pretty cool stuff.
The Z10 is different than the other Z series and uses the LT drivers according to the specs released yesterday by Peter. Just a cabinet design change I believe.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, you are correct. Interesting, wonder why they are calling that a z-series.

-

Old 08-02-2016, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, you are correct. Interesting, wonder why they are calling that a z-series.

They are replacing the LT10s once all production parts have been used up I assume since this is a better design with the amt perfectly centered over the woofer. No since in making the LT10 for vertical placement if these are an option is how I see it from a business standpoint. I'm sure someone could special order the LT10s once they are phased out since it would just require a different front panel. But that is just a guess.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Little teaser pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Will report back when have enough listening time to form some opinions.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't really know what to think about these LT10s. They are definitely very different from all my past speakers and the lower sensitivity is very obvious. The sound stage is huge even though something is far from correct with my setup. I can't really put it into words but can say that I'm lacking the loudness factor which is not something anyone mentions with these speakers. That's why I think something just isn't right.

Later tonight I'm going to totally recalibrate everything and try to get my gain structures a little more inline for the lower sensitivity of these. I my old Radio Shack meter has gone missing and the CPU I have Omnimic downloaded on is in need of a repair so maybe it's just my ears that are playing tricks on me hence the need for a new calibration way can gauge the spl from the master volume.

My plan is to use pink noise and my iPhone 6Plus mic to set everything at 75db since the apps seem to be rather accurate below 100db. One of my apps has settings for 110db and 120db but can't even get a peak reading over 109db running each LT10 off a bridged QSC PLX3602. That's 1100 watts to each speaker and only getting a reading of max 109db. I know the mic is compressing just from its specs but it doesn't sound loud either so wouldn't be surprised if they aren't playing much louder than that.

They have a continuous max spl spec of 129db so just figured would easily play well above 120dbs since the calculations work out. Their sensitivity of 90db should put them in the upper 120s with the wattage I'm putting to them. But I can tell that they are really close to their limits. I was even playing an old Marshall Mathers CD and got some nasty sounds out of them from what I assume was clipping or bad source material. Every since then I've been really hesitant to push them past what I feel is their limits.

Who knows. Maybe I'll get the gain structures set and they will shine. I hope so anyway.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about the somewhat disappointing initial impressions. Hopefully some Quested users/owners chime in. Maybe you could try posting in the Quested thread in the $20,000+ forum. If I am not mistaken, thebland is using some Quested speakers with QSC amplifiers.

On another note, if you are still disappointed, I wonder if you are up to order a pair of CRMSCompacts or CRMS mkIIs with one Sentinel3 or Sentinel10 amplifier just to compare.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4612 Post(s)
Liked: 2788
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I don't really know what to think about these LT10s. They are definitely very different from all my past speakers and the lower sensitivity is very obvious. The sound stage is huge even though something is far from correct with my setup. I can't really put it into words but can say that I'm lacking the loudness factor which is not something anyone mentions with these speakers. That's why I think something just isn't right.

Later tonight I'm going to totally recalibrate everything and try to get my gain structures a little more inline for the lower sensitivity of these. I my old Radio Shack meter has gone missing and the CPU I have Omnimic downloaded on is in need of a repair so maybe it's just my ears that are playing tricks on me hence the need for a new calibration way can gauge the spl from the master volume.

My plan is to use pink noise and my iPhone 6Plus mic to set everything at 75db since the apps seem to be rather accurate below 100db. One of my apps has settings for 110db and 120db but can't even get a peak reading over 109db running each LT10 off a bridged QSC PLX3602. That's 1100 watts to each speaker and only getting a reading of max 109db. I know the mic is compressing just from its specs but it doesn't sound loud either so wouldn't be surprised if they aren't playing much louder than that.

They have a continuous max spl spec of 129db so just figured would easily play well above 120dbs since the calculations work out. Their sensitivity of 90db should put them in the upper 120s with the wattage I'm putting to them. But I can tell that they are really close to their limits. I was even playing an old Marshall Mathers CD and got some nasty sounds out of them from what I assume was clipping or bad source material. Every since then I've been really hesitant to push them past what I feel is their limits.

Who knows. Maybe I'll get the gain structures set and they will shine. I hope so anyway.
Buy a new SPL meter or even better a calibrated mic and run REW. I think you will find that you are getting higher SPL than you think you are.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ordered a new Anthem PrePro 60. My problem has been found. My amps are only putting out like 100watts because they aren't receiving enough voltage (hopefully). I measured the amp output and the AVR output and both were way way too low. So if I hook up the Anthem that has gobs of output voltage and the amps still don't perform then I only have to assume the lightening strike hurt the amps too and not only the AVR.

Should make a huge difference on how the LT10s sound/perform. So excited yet again lol.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Buy a new SPL meter or even better a calibrated mic and run REW. I think you will find that you are getting higher SPL than you think you are.
I found my calibrated meter. I calibrated it with my Omnimic mic so readings are accurate. I don't have a Windows CPU to run any of my programs so am limited to doing everything manually which is fine until pick up a cheap CPU.

Look at my previous post. I think I found the issue.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Sorry to hear about the somewhat disappointing initial impressions. Hopefully some Quested users/owners chime in. Maybe you could try posting in the Quested thread in the $20,000+ forum. If I am not mistaken, thebland is using some Quested speakers with QSC amplifiers.

On another note, if you are still disappointed, I wonder if you are up to order a pair of CRMSCompacts or CRMS mkIIs with one Sentinel3 or Sentinel10 amplifier just to compare.
I have an issue with my AVR and amp. I'm only getting like 50 watts to the LT10s when playing them. I measured my amp at full tilt at 100 watts so the AVR isn't outputting enough voltage to drive the amp most likely. I measured the AVR at .9v at full tilt so pretty certain it's the AVR. Have a new Anthem 60 PrePro with plenty of output power on the way.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have an issue with my AVR and amp. I'm only getting like 50 watts to the LT10s when playing them. I measured my amp at full tilt at 100 watts so the AVR isn't outputting enough voltage to drive the amp most likely. I measured the AVR at .9v at full tilt so pretty certain it's the AVR. Have a new Anthem 60 PrePro with plenty of output power on the way.
Glad you found the issue. Looking forward to reading your impressions after you've had a chance with the LT10s going at full tilt.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Glad you found the issue. Looking forward to reading your impressions after you've had a chance with the LT10s going at full tilt.
Thanks!

Yea me too lol. I have another pair of LT10s ready for me to grab if they do end up being great. I do think they will require a mbm if one wants a bunch of 80hz-200hz punch though just like almost every other non horn loaded cab. Nothing can be the beast of all worlds.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's my speaker layout plans. Hoping Roger at Quested tests regarding the different max spl levels between the LT8, Z8 passive, Z8 active, and Z8 ribbon all using 60,70,80hz crossovers reveal enough info that choosing some of the farther speakers will be made easy.

Even though they all have an equal max continuous spl they aren't all going to be the same once use the 60-80hz crossover. I'm thinking I'll only be able to use ribbons on the very closest side surrounds which is good because the AMT driver needs a little space from the listener.

Roger is also making a 12" Atmos speaker which I hope is loud enough to use for all my tops

Just thought I would share what's in the works. Roger called me last week and said as soon as he gets back to the shop from a trip he will take the measurements for me way we can place the correct cabinets in each space and also have reference levels from each cabinet at the MLP (second row).

[IMG][/IMG]

Im a little torn about the Tops right now and don't really know where I should put them and where I should plan on putting the future Tops. So any and all thoughts are more than welcome.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 08-16-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old Today, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's here finally!!!!

Even Mr Frisco is interested!
[IMG][/IMG]
Tonight shall reveal what the Quested LT10s can do.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement