AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
off topic
I see you using Revit Architecture...Are you an architect? That's the real deal, AFAIK.
Yeah, I have an architectural engineering degree.

I'm more of a real estate investor at the moment though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lumber is here and framing will begin in the morning. Just ordered MA slim rack for framer to see and all the wall mounts for the media room tvs. Next order will be time consuming for all the wires and wall plates
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the sole plates are glued and anchored. 1/4 of the walls are erected. Not bad for one day and one framer. Found a huge mistake made by the block layers today, about a week too late to fix!!!! The garage is one block out but luckily it is on the theater side so it can be hidden. It sucks majorly just because of the fact that I know its not square but atleast its only the garage and it will be almost visually flawless. I'll have a large air gap in that wall lol but will look square.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We have walls!! Moving right along. 3 days and counting.

7:00 a.m.

about 10:30 a.m.

Garage

Media room facingaway from bar towards fish tank and 3D plasma wall

Theater facing stage

Theater facing seating

7:30 p.m. ISO setting around 2000. will need a better pic in the morning before they start
Old 05-20-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 269
It's always amazing just how fast framing goes! Enjoying the pictures, here. Keep em coming!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking good! What kind of camera are you shooting with? No P&S can do ISO 2000 that clean!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Love the progress. Nice stick built work,...too bad the brickie screwed up! It'll be fine, you'll be the only one that'll ever notice.

btw; p&s cams have come a long way wrt low high iso noise.

ISO,..I still want to say ASA, ...nothing like Kodak ASA 25 slides

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

btw; p&s cams have come a long way wrt low high iso noise.

No doubt. I still don't think there is one that can do 2000 that clean!

Just found the EXIF on this image. I was hitting exif on link before and it isn't linked correctly. Anyway, it says Nikon D300S, but it says ISO 1600 with a 1/6400 shutter speed. Why not cut the ISO and go to a slower shutter?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

No doubt. I still don't think there is one that can do 2000 that clean!

Just found the EXIF on this image. I was hitting exif on link before and it isn't linked correctly. Anyway, it says Nikon D300S, but it says ISO 1600 with a 1/6400 shutter speed. Why not cut the ISO and go to a slower shutter?

I just shot a bunch of pics with ISO from 1200-2400 I believe and had the wife pick one out to send to me.

If I was taking my time thats what I would have done, but I just selected travel point and shoot setup from the options I input as custom settings and shot a few with different ISO setting. I figured they would turn out pretty good considering it was almost dark. I guess I could have hit the protraitcustom settting that has a lot slower shutter speed . I'm still learning photography. This is my first decent camera. Wife and I bought it to take on our honeymoon.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

I just shot a bunch of pics with ISO from 1200-2400 I believe and had the wife pick one out to send to me.

If I was taking my time thats what I would have done, but I just selected travel point and shoot setup from the options I input as custom settings and shot a few with different ISO setting. I figured they would turn out pretty good considering it was almost dark. I guess I could have hit the protraitcustom settting that has a lot slower shutter speed . I'm still learning photography. This is my first decent camera. Wife and I bought it to take on our honeymoon.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I'm by no means a pro, but I decided a while back to start learning by shooting in manual. So I am always aware of all my settings. You chose a very good first "decent" camera from what I have read! I have a Canon 7D, which seems to be the most similar on the market to the D300S.

If you want to learn more about photography, grab the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a great place to start and I recommend it to everyone interested in photography.

Your shots all look good and don't need anything done differently. But shooting at a lower ISO will produce less noise. You can safely shoot down to 1/500th of a second without worrying about how steady you are holding the camera in most cases. With that in mind, you could have gotten down to ISO 200 for that shot. The exif may be wrong though, as that seems awful low considering how dark you say it was.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'll stop now. I hope this is helpful in your photography and I'm still really enjoying your theater build!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I'm by no means a pro, but I decided a while back to start learning by shooting in manual. So I am always aware of all my settings. You chose a very good first "decent" camera from what I have read! I have a Canon 7D, which seems to be the most similar on the market to the D300S.

If you want to learn more about photography, grab the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a great place to start and I recommend it to everyone interested in photography.

Your shots all look good and don't need anything done differently. But shooting at a lower ISO will produce less noise. You can safely shoot down to 1/500th of a second without worrying about how steady you are holding the camera in most cases. With that in mind, you could have gotten down to ISO 200 for that shot. The exif may be wrong though, as that seems awful low considering how dark you say it was.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'll stop now. I hope this is helpful in your photography and I'm still really enjoying your theater build!

LOL I'm not taking your constructive criticism in a bad way. Hell it teaches me something is how I see it. I only raise the ISO when I dont have lighting. Is that the proper time to raise it? If it is light where I shoot I normally keep it at 200-250.

I got out my manual to try to take a pic tonight around the same time and couldnt really figure out how to adjust the shutter speed to what I wanted, like lower than 1/500th. It tells me that I need to set the aperture when i go to manual mode. I'm not really worried about shaking as it has the VR lens. I tried to read on a photography forum a couple times but just kept getting lost.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the MA slim rack put together way framer could make an opening in the closet for it and maybe another. Who knows I may just build a rack for the media room

Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Question about the rack/racks placement. How close to the closet wall can I place these? Like when I need to put a shelf in how much room between the side and the wall will I need? I have the one labeled MA framed out aprox 6 inches. The one for the media room I want to be as close to the exterior closet wall as possible. I have no idea how the shelves are installed is why I am asking.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also recieved my order from monoprice today. 4 ultra slim wall mounts for under $70 shipped. Now lets hope they all fit
Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Subscribed!

A few comments: My room is almost exactly the same dimensions. I, too, am out in the country with no chance of disturbing anyone or being disturbed. I chose not to do anything for isolation beyond simple insulated wall cavities. I have no regrets in this decision. Save one. I would have appreciated the walls having more mass simply so the room could handle the subs better. If you do the same, I would suggest increasing drywall screws to 50% more than typical. Your subs will find rattles.

Looking forward to your progress!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The Middle Atlantic rack shelves are installed from the front, just like the way you installed the "square braces" you have installed there. The rack could be framed in tight but depending on finish trimwork, you might need some clearance considerations on the front wall.

Here's a quick scan of the MA shelves.
LL
Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Monoprice order list. My god they have cheap prices but stuff adds up lol

Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Liked: 10
What a great project! I only THOUGHT I had a man cave!

Just thinking out loud here based on my experience with building my theater out. Hopefully you are going to wire with CAT6 for your network. Also, a relatively tiny expense that pays big dividends - a whole house surge suppressor.

Your good but pricey electrician buddy can slap one in the new box and everything you own has some protection.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray**W View Post

What a great project! I only THOUGHT I had a man cave!

Just thinking out loud here based on my experience with building my theater out. Hopefully you are going to wire with CAT6 for your network. Also, a relatively tiny expense that pays big dividends - a whole house surge suppressor.

Your good but pricey electrician buddy can slap one in the new box and everything you own has some protection.

Yeah I saw one in a thread not too long ago for around $100

Here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/New-INTERMATIC-I...d=234674035616
Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For all those that insist on soundproofing in situations like this (new construction).

Right now the theater has a staggered stud wall running from the front of the garage wall all the way to the opposite end of the room.

What would be the best way to do this? I havent really planned on doing anything other than insulating the HVAC and at very most doing OSB-GG-DW. How would I do the ceiling that would be coffered/trayed? If I do the GG I might as well try to do the ceiling the correct way. DW guy agreed to help me hang, glue, and finish for $8/board so it just may fit in the budget. I've looked at many threads that used the clips and channels on the walls and understand that completely. The problem is the ceiling and the weight of all the trays, PJ, drywall, OSB etc...

The span is 17' 10" and 8" ceiling joists are being used on 16" centers. I guess I could add another 2x8x18 on every other joist if weight will be an issue as the 2x8x18 is right in between limited and usable attic space at this span. Or it may be fine just how it is!?!

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

For all those that insist on soundproofing in situations like this (new construction).

Right now the theater has a staggered stud wall running from the front of the garage wall all the way to the opposite end of the room.

What would be the best way to do this? I havent really planned on doing anything other than insulating the HVAC and at very most doing OSB-GG-DW. How would I do the ceiling that would be coffered/trayed? If I do the GG I might as well try to do the ceiling the correct way. DW guy agreed to help me hang, glue, and finish for $8/board so it just may fit in the budget. I've looked at many threads that used the clips and channels on the walls and understand that completely. The problem is the ceiling and the weight of all the trays, PJ, drywall, OSB etc...

The span is 17' 10" and 8" ceiling joists are being used on 16" centers. I guess I could add another 2x8x18 on every other joist if weight will be an issue as the 2x8x18 is right in between limited and usable attic space at this span. Or it may be fine just how it is!?!

Any ideas?

I have been following this and would love the opportunity to build a new HT from the ground up like you are. Since you are doing this right, why not pay a pro like Dennis Erksine in the Acoustical Treatments thread to design this for you? Money well spent in my opinion to have someone with his experience give you the piece of mind with what you are installing to meet your expectations. Also, he will know of everything that you have not even thought of yet!

That is what I would do. Good luck. It has been fun following this thread.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I agree with btinindy.
Making mistakes is building is very expensive.
Hire Dennis Erskine you his service cost will pay off rather quickly. Time to hire him would be now so he help you plan for everything.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Got trusses? More PICS!

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

I have been following this and would love the opportunity to build a new HT from the ground up like you are. Since you are doing this right, why not pay a pro like Dennis Erksine in the Acoustical Treatments thread to design this for you?

Check out post #9.

I'm still waiting for the plans.

I'm just using the basic $600 AVS plans so should have risers, speakers,, screen, and some treaments shortly. Just emailed him a few minutes ago.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check out post #9.

I'm still waiting for the plans.

I'm just using the basic $600 AVS plans so should have risers, speakers,, screen, and some treaments shortly. Just emailed him a few minutes ago.

Ah! Very good. Hard to remember ever post on every thread. I guess I am confused about the questions you have then. Does Dennis not address the wall construction?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah! Very good. Hard to remember ever post on every thread. I guess I am confused about the questions you have then. Does Dennis not address the wall construction?

Yeah he seems like a great guy to deal with but you only get so much for $600. I'm sure he has posted the answer to my question numberous times. I just dont know exactly how I should go about decoupling the ceiling is all. I may not even worry about it since I'm not decupling the walls as of now anyway, but if I did decouple the walls I was asking for some input on ceiling construction.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

double post
Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Got trusses? More PICS!

Nope, no trusses. Everything will be cut and erected by itself. The framer works by himself most of the time. He had help the first two days but has been alone since then. He built a spec house for me 14 years ago completely by himself. He also built my mothers house by himself. Its actually pretty amazing watching him build. He's considered the best framer by most contractors in my home town. But, they dont use him because they would rather a crew of guys get out there and get it thrown up ASAP. Every cut and connection has to be perfect or it doesnt stay up. Today he put up 4 3/4"x16"x24' LVLs on top of the plates all by himself. My wife wishes he would do our tile just because of how paticular he is, but he's only doing our hardwood.

Man that was a lot of rambling about a longtime framer/friend. Just wish I could express how good he really is. He drives about an hour and a half just to get here. He'll finish up on ceiling joists tomorrow morning and then cut rafters all day. Hopefully he'll get a few up but its supposed to rain in the afternoon.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah he seems like a great guy to deal with but you only get so much for $600. I'm sure he has posted the answer to my question numberous times. I just dont know exactly how I should go about decoupling the ceiling is all. I may not even worry about it since I'm not decupling the walls as of now anyway, but if I did decouple the walls I was asking for some input on ceiling construction.

What about this detail? I copied it from another thread as I want to implement this in my HT, especially for the ceiling.
LL
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about this detail? I copied it from another thread as I want to implement this in my HT, especially for the ceiling.

Yeah thats exactly what I'm talking about but just didnt know how much weight the clips could hold on the ceiling. All the trays and hush box plus OSB and DW will be rather heavy.

If I did use clips thats exactly what I was looking for tho.

Thanks