Rope light types and experiences - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some pictures and feedback on Clear vs Pearl white rope lighting as well as normal vs. superbright incandescent. LED is out since I need a line voltage dimmable product without a transformer.

I am using it to back light multiple accoustical panels around the room so I'm looking for a failry clean light without shadows and hot spotting. I'm thinking the frosted tube of the pearl white variety would be my best bet.

I am also trying to determine the real life difference between in brightness of the superbright models that seem to be twice the wattage of the standard model.

Here is the model I'm currently looking at http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2042/SIV-IU65W.html

Any comparisons or pictures would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I've got clear incandescent rope lights from Lowes.

As far as shadows go, i think thats mostly determined by what its reflecting of off and how far that is from the lights.

Generally speaking the less shiny, and further away = fewer shadows and more dispersion.

The incandescent lights are definitely more"yellow" than LEDs i've seen. But i dont mind it. Its got a "familiar" feel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #3 of 20 Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by npc2396 View Post

LED is out since I need a line voltage dimmable product without a transformer.

In general, LED rope lights are dimmable. All of mine are, and I believe many people here dim LED rope lights,

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Where can I get a 120 volt dimmable LED rope light? I have yet to find one unless it's a 12volt
post #5 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

1000bulbs has it, though it isn't cheap.

From my thread:

Dave

|
|
|
post #6 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

I spoke with 1000bulbs yesterday and they told me their LED rope light was not dimmable? I have found a few other places that have it but it's always nice to know more.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

It dimmed fine for me (using their 120v product). You need your runs long enough to hit the minimum wattage of your dimmer. For example, the 1000 bulb stuff is 0.8 watts per foot (if memory serves). A Grafik Eye dimmer needs at least a 25w load to dim, so you need about a 35 foot run for it to dim (25/.8). Other dimmers have different load requirements.

Dave

|
|
|
post #8 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I thought... I am using the Lutron Maestro SPS 600 Dimmers with a 60 watt minimum load. I would need at least 75'. I'll have a total of 11 panels with about 8' of rope lighting behind each so I may be good with LED. I'll have an issue dimming my riser which is 20' long and tied to a seperate lighting circuit. I'll be tight with a normal 3 watt per foot rope light with that one. I think I'll stick with good ole incandescents all around to be safe.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npc2396 View Post

That's what I thought... I am using the Lutron Maestro SPS 600 Dimmers with a 60 watt minimum load. I would need at least 75'. I'll have a total of 11 panels with about 8' of rope lighting behind each so I may be good with LED. I'll have an issue dimming my riser which is 20' long and tied to a seperate lighting circuit. I'll be tight with a normal 3 watt per foot rope light with that one. I think I'll stick with good ole incandescents all around to be safe.

If space and cash allows, you can always double up to make sure you can meet your wattage requirements.

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #10 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 AM

I bought my dimmable LED rope light from cbconcept. I ordered 40' all wired and ready to go and it was about $62 delivered. Upon unspooling it I found they sent 50'.

The rope light can be turned completely off or to very bright using a Lutron Maestro dimmer.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°...
post #11 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought my LED rope lights from Bird Dog Distributing. Looking at just a random LED Rope Light on their web site:

# 110/120 Volt
# Color: Warm White
# 1/2" Diameter with 2 Wire Steady Burn LED
# Extended life of 100,000 hrs
# Color Temperature: 2900-3200k
# Luminous Intensity: 18000-20000 mcd
# Beam Angle: 25 degrees
# Forward Current: 20 mA
# Energy efficient--only 0.8 watts per foot
# Indoor/Outdoor
# Vertical Bulb Placement
# 1" bulb spacing
# Cuttable in 39" lengths
# Max operating length is 600'
# Temperature Rating: -60°F - 220°F
# Dimmable
# SJT (Heavy Duty) Power cord with rectifier & 2-prong polarized plug

I don't know anything Lutron Maestro SPS 600 Dimmers. For the Grafik Eye, there is a synthetic load that you can install on the zone with the low wattage ropes. I put one on the zone with my riser/stair lights because that was only 12 feet - roughly 9 watts of load - and the GRX dims the 120V LED rope just fine.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
post #12 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I have standard 12V LED rope lighting with transformers and they dim just fine with my Grafik Eye dimmers.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I also have the incandescent white rope lighting from Lowes. They work very well with the Grafic Eye.

Gamertag:
post #14 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What are the pros and cons for incandescent vs LED rope light?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

post #15 of 20 Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Heat

PROJECTS:

post #16 of 20 Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
LED can present some challenges for dimmers / GrafikEye - though I think it depends on the specific LED rope brand / model. I used incandescent mainly for ease of integration with a GrafikEye, and not having to wonder if I could dim it properly.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #17 of 20 Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I have 2 LED rope lights in my soffit. They are about 60 feet long and .5 w per foot. The Grafik eye needs 40 watts to dim so my rope lights do not completely shut off. The amber rope is not visible when fully dimmed but I do have a very small amount of blue still showing when fully dim. I am going to try one of these on my blue rope.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...m=ABN3Q1DBQPIR

I tried a blue incandescent at first and it was dim and more of a greenish blue color. The blue LED looks much better.

post #18 of 20 Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I have 2 LED rope lights in my soffit. They are about 60 feet long and .5 w per foot. The Grafik eye needs 40 watts to dim so my rope lights do not completely shut off. The amber rope is not visible when fully dimmed but I do have a very small amount of blue still showing when fully dim. I am going to try one of these on my blue rope.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...m=ABN3Q1DBQPIR

I tried a blue incandescent at first and it was dim and more of a greenish blue color. The blue LED looks much better.

Where did you purchase your LED rope light from? I am in the same boat as you were apparently. I ordered the super bright 5/8" blue incandescent rope light from 1000bulbs and hooked it up to my grafik eye and was disappointed. It looked turquoise and was not all that bright.

post #19 of 20 Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbrad View Post

Where did you purchase your LED rope light from? I am in the same boat as you were apparently. I ordered the super bright 5/8" blue incandescent rope light from 1000bulbs and hooked it up to my grafik eye and was disappointed. It looked turquoise and was not all that bright.

I purchased my incandescent from 1000 bulbs also. I purchased the led on eBay. There is a seller on eBay that sells various lengths. I bought 66 feet.

post #20 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Is anyone using tracks to install? I installed mine in my cove and the light is all over the place as little dots. When I did a install before with regular rope lighting it was a nice uniform color.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page