Living Room Cabinet Design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I have attached my design for my living room cabinet that will sit under a mounted TV. It will be made out of oak plywood and be painted/stained blue/dark brown like the attached picture (minus the top section, top counter stained with all else blue). The two doors in the middle will have dark smoked glass. Drawers on either side. All the back is open except behind the doors.

Can you guys think of anything glaringly bad with my design or have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Douglas

Attachment 209797

Attachment 209798

Living Room Cabinet.pdf 11.1396484375k . file
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I know I'll have to change the dimensions a little to account for the thickness of the wood.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Since I got no input from the community, I just went for it. I routed slots for each of the joints. All the dimensions were calculated and then the wood cut. Then it felt just like assembling those boxed pre-cut furniture you can get from Office Depot. Each joint was glued with construction adhesive and excessively shot with the nail gun.
LL
LL
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have advice on where and how far apart to drill holes to make adjustable shelves?

Also, here's my progress so far:
LL
post #5 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Does anyone have advice on where and how far apart to drill holes to make adjustable shelves?

I have used various spacings over the years and have settled on putting the holes 1" apart. Any further apart than that and I always ended up wishing I had put them closer together. Make a template to be sure you get all four sets of holes in exactly the same position relative to one another.

Quote:

All the back is open except behind the doors.

Can you guys think of anything glaringly bad with my design or have any recommendations?

Putting a back on a plywood cabinet like this is the main structural element that keeps the box from racking. If you put pressure on the cabinet down and slightly sideways, does the box deflect into a parallelogram shape instead of remaining a rectangle? If the cabinet isn't braced enough, an uneven floor can produce this kind of racking, which can make drawers and doors bind (in addition to looking bad). So you may need to reconsider your decision not to have a complete back.

If your electronics are going to live behind the doors, you should give some thought to how you will evacuate the heat from that enclosed space.

Quote:

The two doors in the middle will have dark smoked glass.

I'm not sure how smoked glass panels will look in a painted-and-distressed cabinet. A distressed painted cabinet says, "Antique." Smoked glass says, "Modern." Wood panels in the doors would be a less controversial design choice. If you're worried about controlling the components behind the doors with an IR remote, use an IR repeater system. Here's an example:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Link-Remote-Co...3764048&sr=1-6

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction