The Downunder Sugarloaf - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 12-23-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Enjoy your new room.... what a great time to do it when family are around. Mine is getting a solid work out on Christmas eve.... Polar Express....same time every year.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Follow my thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Polar Express rocks - watched it today - it's such a great xmas movie.
post #93 of 99 Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Spent some time over christmas and new years watching many movies, and getting the remotes to work reliably.

I'm trying to make it simple enough for my wife to use - walk up to the blurary player, stick the disk in and hit play. Everything should come on without even picking up a remote.

I managed to get it to work reliably when i turned on HDMI CEC for the Blu Ray player. I also used 12V trigger cables to turn the projector on/off. This seems to be bullet proof and to work very well. Then I ran some 12V trigger cables to the amplifiers.... that worked almost - turns out I can't daisy chain more than 4 amplifiers in a row on a 12v trigger, so I had to put them onto separate 12v trigger loops.

Now it works great with the Onkyo remote, or the Oppo remote..... only thing is neither of those remotes seem to allow me to program the system to automatically dim the lights and set a grafik eye scene.

I pulled out my old harmony remote, and programmed that - and presto.... now when I hit Watch TV or Watch Movie, the blu ray player or the Apple TV (for Plex Connect) turn on, everything gets powered up, and the lights dim to movie mode - very happy with how it works.

The only minor glitch is if I want to switch between the two activities - the lights temporarily come up and then dim again - this is because I've programmed the harmony remote to bring the lights back up as it exits a scene. The nice thing is when you are done watching a movie, I hit the off button, everything shuts off and the lights come up.
it seems to be quite reliably, so I'm putting up with the glitch for now.

I've started looking into alternatives such as iRule or Roomie, but I'm starting to think those are going to be much more complicated to setup, and I'm not clear if I'm really going to gain anything over what the Harmony already does. I have an HAI security system and an HAI HiFi2, but I'm not sure I need to control those from the theater room - I'm not clear on what the use case would be.

I'd certainly have to buy another/change the IR distributor to get either of those apps to control the apple TV, so I'll probably hold off on that until I better understand why I might want to use Roomie or iRule.
post #94 of 99 Old 01-09-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Glad you're enjoying the room, it came up a treat!

......I hate the remote issues.....that stuff drives me mad

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #95 of 99 Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Your room is gorgeous. The only thing I would have done differently - the horiontal center channel would be replaced with a matching L/R tower. This would give you the same 3 speakers across the front. Horizontal centers are a compromise for space issues. You do not have space issues with your center channel.

Awesome theater!

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #96 of 99 Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers I'm using were a gift from ~10 years ago.

I plan to replace all the front speakers with something more like the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 series, or Procella - just don't have the budget for it right now.

With an AT screen - the speakers should be fairly easy to change out.... Priority is going to go to fitting out the theater lobby next.

I've been working on finishing up the rack. Haven't put any custom plates in yet, however it's almost done.

I've lined the inside of the door with the same fabric so that it looks nicely finished even when the door is open.

I'm using a small magnet located on the door to hold it shut, and have put a little handle on the acoustic panel in the door to make it easier to open without smudging greasy fingers on the fabric.

Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #97 of 99 Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I've been doing some tweaking on the panasonic AE-8000 projector lately.

First up, the projector doesn't seem to have discrete codes as far as I can tell for on-off, so I've re-programmed the Harmony to not control the power to the unit, and instead am relying on the 12V trigger cable from the processor. This has ironed out some minor power control issues I was seeing - where if someone inserted a DVD, it would power up the whole electronics stack, and the harmony would later try to toggle power to the projector as it didn't know the component power state was already on. This wasn't an issue with the other components (Oppo/Onkyo, as they have discrete IR codes for on/off).

Second, I just had Aaron Rigg over from Avical to perform an ISF calibration.

Aaron says I'm seeing around 16 ft lamberts on the screen, so I'm quite happy with that, he also commented that most rooms that he sees like this cost over $100k, so I was quite happy that I'd spent less than half that on my DIY project

We used Rec709 as the baseline before modifying for my room

Calibrated Sources

Input HDMI 1
Oppo BDP-93 Bluray
Player Apple TV – Plex Media Player

Saved in Memory ISD 2D (Memory 1)

Picture Mode: Normal
Contrast +6
Brightness +1
Colour 0
Tint 0
Color Temperature 0
Sharpness Simple 0
Dynamic Iris On

Advanced Menu
Gamma Adjustment Simple
Gamma High +1
Gamma Mid 0
Gamma Low 0
Contrast R -7
Contrast G -9
Contrast B 0
Brightness R -1
Brightness G 0
Brightness B +1
NR 0
MPEG NR 0
Frame Creation Off

Color Management User 1
Adjust mode RGBCMY
Red, -3,0,+3
Green -3,0,+3
Blue 0,0,0
Cyan 0,-8,0
Magenta 0,+5,0
Yellow 0,+5,0
Detail Clarity +2
Super White Off
RGB/YPbPR Auto

Aaron then did a separate calibration in 3D mode, which I've loaded into the 3D picture balance menu. Same calibration, but this time with the sensor measuring through the glasses.

We had to make some tradeoffs for 3D brightness - personally I'd like to see it brighter, however in the default dynamic mode, the color was so far off and green that I didn't like watching it. The following gave us pretty good color accuracy, though at the trade off of losing some brightness. Not sure if others have had more success on the 3D picture adjustment.

Contrast +13
Brightness +3
Colour +1
Contrast R -2
Contrast G -10
Contrast B 0
Brightness R -1
Brightness G 0
Brightness B +1

Aaron also made a comment that for DVD-BluRay up conversion, the scaler and the CMS used in the Oppo BDP-93 was better than in the Onkyo PRSC5509, so he suggested fixing the Oppo BDP-93's output to 1080P instead of using Auto and the Onkyo PR-SC5509 doing the scaling.

Oppo Settings
Output Resolution 1080p
1080p24 Output On
HDMI color space YCbCr 4:4:4
Deep Color Off (Dithered), Aaron suggested this due to no deep colur source content being available on BluRay.
post #98 of 99 Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Progress continues - this time I was working on the restroom, and it took a while to find the right mirror to match the chandelier we had put in the room.

It's just a little room with a basin and toilet, but has a 3.5M (11.5ft) ceiling, so we wanted to do something special.

Since every great theater needs a great latrine.... here's what we've come up with, it's a little over the top - but will help tie together the theater lobby, restroom and theater room

Still need to get a hand towel rail in there to finish it up.
post #99 of 99 Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 62
looks fantastic, are going to put any crown molding to frame in the chandelier?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page