The Downunder Sugarloaf - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 99 Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18

My wife and I are planning to move back to Australia from Seattle, and along with building our first custom home & swimming pool, I'm finally getting my theater

This build thread is going to take a long time. You can see why from this photo which was taken in January. As you can see, all I have is some dirt to start with.

Attachment 210178

Here's the plans for the lower floor that will contain the theater room. (it's marked as a storage room on the plans).

Attachment 210177

If you have interest in the overall house build, I've put the plans on http://sugarloafdrivebuild.blogspot.com/

There's detailed architectural and engineering plans on my blog. This thread will just contain the theater related stuff.
LL
LL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

We used the AVS Forum / Dennis pro theater layout service

I couldn't be happier with the service that Dennis provided. By using his services while we were still at the planning stages, I avoided a couple of mistakes that I would likely have made.

Here's a list of a few of the things I wouldn't have got right.

Entry door - I wanted to create a grander entrance by putting double doors right at the back of the room. By the time the riser/bass trap was designed, it was clear this wouldn't work. Not only would it have required stairs outside the room to get in (which would eat into the adjacent room), but you would have walked right into the projector mount which wound up being further back in the room than I would have planned.

I also relocated my bathroom & rack location based in a large part on Dennis input. I'm glad I did it before the concrete was poured, because it would have been challenging to move the sewer line later.

Attachment 210185
Attachment 210184
Attachment 210186

SELEVATIONSRev1.pdf 223.2685546875k . file

SFloorRev1.pdf 48.2294921875k . file

SProsc.pdf 40.54296875k . file
post #3 of 99 Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Last month we had the foundations completed, and the area where the theater will go was framed up last week.

Attachment 210193 Attachment 210194 Attachment 210195 Attachment 210196

The theater room is the one in the top right

It's going to be a little while now before I post another update, as the builder has a lot of work to do to build the next 2 floors & make things water tight so that I can start work on the theater room itself.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 99 Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
Nice! I look forward to your progress! Greetings from Seattle
post #5 of 99 Old 04-29-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

I loved living in seattle, I consider it my first home even though I only lived there for ten years. I moved there in the late nineties to work for Microsoft, and have some incredible memories from the area. A couple of years ago we decided to move to Australia to be closer to family. Back when I moved to seattle I was a young single guy, now I am not quite as young but have a 3 year old daughter and her extended family is all in Australia.

Can't wait to start on the build. I have purchased my seating and amplifiers already. 7 outlaw monoblocks, and some salamander talia seats. Will have to decide on a balanced pro, and a projector when we get closer to finished. The technology on pros and amps changes so much faster than acoustics, amps or seating. At this stage of the build I have to focus on the things you can't change easily later - so room design is at the top of the list.

The one decision I am semi regretting is not getting dbox seats. I probably should have bought the individual dbox seats, vs trying to add a platform later. Dbox doesn't really cater to the DIY crowd, nor make an after market 101" platform that doesn't cost a significant fraction of the seats. Will probably go with Clark synthesis transducers as a result.
post #6 of 99 Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Here's some quick photos showing a construction update.

The framing & brickwork for the theater is complete, but the builder needs to build 2 more levels on top of what you see in the following pics.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 99 Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
are you a millionaire

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #8 of 99 Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
elmalloc

He said that he worked for Microsoft for 10 years in 90's. Perhaps this will answer your question.

I am building my home theater in my unfinished basement. I wish I had thought of using Dennis's services when I was building my home. There were so many things I would have done differently.

Looking forward to your build.
post #9 of 99 Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just this past week the builder added floor joists and a plywood floor above my theater room and lobby. Now it is almost fully enclosed. I have a much better idea of the space that I am going to have to work with.

On this build they are using posi-struts instead of traditional floor joists. The metal reinforcing in the joists makes it a lot easier to run wiring and utilities without needing to drill holes through the joists.

Attachment 218861
Attachment 218862
Attachment 218863

A little off topic - but there's still quite a bit of bracing in the room - especially the lobby. The reason for this is the swimming pool is going to get poured tomorrow and they don't want the weight of the wet concrete for the swimming pool on the house to collapse in the wall (it's not structural). Here's a couple of quick photos that show what's going on on the other side of the wall

Attachment 218864
Attachment 218865
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #10 of 99 Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I bumped into this the other day around the corner from my construction site. Must be a nod to the man who did the theater design

Attachment 220252
LL
post #11 of 99 Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Very slow progress on this build. It's taking far longer than expected due to both weather related delays, and the complexity of the build.

The house is water tight now, and drywall is finally going up.

Here's a a quick picture of the exterior.

Attachment 239289

The theater room has now had the electrical installed, as well as the heating and cooling. Here in Australia they don't require electrical boxes for the wires to go into, so you won't see the usual blue boxes nailed to the studs.

Attachment 239290

For heating, I'm using a water filled radiator panel at the rear of the room which will be completely silent.

For cooling and fresh air intake, I'm using a Toshibia Mini SMMSi/VRV AC system. I have a ceiling mounted unit with it's own refrigeration lines just for the theater to try to minimize the chance of sound travelling through ducts from here to the rest of the house. It gives me completely zoned AC for just the theater, and I should be able to program it to do regular air exchanges so that the air in the room doesn't get stale. Here's a link to the info: http://www.toshiba-aircon.co.uk/pdf/...20Brochure.PDF

Attachment 239291

I've also installed an additional duct from the sitting room outside the theater room, and looped it to the projector & the equipment closet, and then outside to the adjacent exercise room. It will have two thermostats - one in the projector housing, and one in the equipment closet. Either one will spin up the motor to exhaust the hot air into an adjacent room, and it will operate independently of the AC system which is important, since the equipment closet houses the video distribution equipment for the whole house.

I've also been busy putting in around 4 miles of cat6, security and video cable. I wound up having so much wire, I had to make a decision early on to split the wiring into two closets vs one.

I'll post some additional photos of the wiring & insulation that was just finished up next time.
LL
LL
LL
post #12 of 99 Old 03-04-2012, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Very slow progress on this build. It's taking far longer than expected due to both weather related delays, and the complexity of the build.

The house is water tight now, and drywall is finally going up.

Here's a a quick picture of the exterior.

Attachment 239289

And a picture of the interior of the theater room.

Attachment 239290

For heating, I'm using a water filled radiator panel at the rear of the room which will be completely silent.

For cooling and fresh air intake, I'm using a Toshibia Mini SMMSi/VRV AC system. I have a ceiling mounted unit with it's own refrigeration lines just for the theater to try to minimize the chance of sound travelling through ducts from here to the rest of the house. It gives me completely zoned AC for just the theater, and I should be able to program it to do regular air exchanges so that the air in the room doesn't get stale. Here's a link to the info: http://www.toshiba-aircon.co.uk/pdf/...20Brochure.PDF

Attachment 239291

I've also installed an additional duct from the sitting room outside the theater room, and looped it to the projector & the equipment closet, and then outside to the adjacent exercise room. It will have two thermostats - one in the projector housing, and one in the equipment closet. Either one will spin up the motor to exhaust the hot air into an adjacent room, and it will operate independently of the AC system which is important, since the equipment closet houses the video distribution equipment for the whole house.

I've also been busy putting in around 4 miles of cat6, security and video cable. I wound up having so much wire, I had to make a decision early on to split the wiring into two closets vs one.

I'll post some additional photos of the wiring & insulation that I just finished up soon.
post #13 of 99 Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dude - embed the images, we're a lazy bunch - nice place BTW

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #14 of 99 Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a diagram that explains the heating and cooling.

Attachment 239294

Not sure why the previous images weren't embedded...
LL
post #15 of 99 Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

The insulation is now installed, so I'm almost ready to start putting the resilient clips and channel up. I do wish they used insulation here with the paper on the top surface like they do in the USA, but that along with the way electrical backer boxes are done seems to be one of the many areas where things are done a bit differently in Australia.

Attachment 239637

I also thought I'd show a couple of pictures of the wiring closets. Originally I thought it would be a great idea to have a single wiring closet and run everything into it.

As I started wiring, I realized how difficult that would become. My HAI alarm system, HiFi2 and RJ45 / Cat6 patch panel has around 100 wires running into it. I didn't want to have all that cluttering up my theater room, so I decided to create 2 wiring closets. One contains the HAI OmniPro2, HiFi2, Serial HVAC interface, Cat6 & RG6 patch panels. Here is a picture:

Attachment 239635

I'm really glad I didn't run this tangle of wires into the theater room.

I then created a separate wiring closet from the theater room. This will contain only video equipment.

I wired it not only for the Theater, but for the Xantech Video Matrix switch, and other Video Source equipment that will supply the house:

Attachment 239636

One of my challenges with this is working out what the best rack system to use is. I've worked out I already have 29U of equipment, and 215lbs.

That's from 7 monoblock amplifiers, bass shaker amplifier, surround processor, video matrix switch, av receiver, bluray player, xbox and cable box.

I can easily see myself needing more space in the future, so the 30U high SRSR (approx $1k in Australia) probably doesn't have quite enough space in it, and I think has some weight limitations.

The AXS system looks great, but the cost is double the SRSR here in Australia.

An alternate option is to go with a Slim 5 system and put it on a skirted wheel base (the 42U is similarly priced to the SRSR), but I am not sure if that's ideal because of (A) how the wheels might/might not work on carpet (b) having to consider how to cosmetically cover up the lower part of the wall, and (c) risk of the rack tipping if it's not on guide rails.

The AXS has this neat retractable stand that lets you mount it up off the floor.
LL
LL
LL
post #16 of 99 Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

One of my big lessons working on this, was that terminating 15-20 coax runs, as well as 60+ ethernet cables in my theater room equipment rack.

Not to mention the main ethernet switch, as well as the two supplemental 8 port POE switches needed to run the phones and security cameras, would make the wiring closet in the theater overwhelmingly messy -- and that's without thinking of all the HAI kit, which has another 60+ cables running into the Leviton can for all the security/automation systems + analog audio zoning

As I mentioned previously, I split these items off to an adjacent room, and then ran a big conduit between the two wiring closets. I just finished up installing the panels & equipment racks, and I think it's going to look pretty tidy once it's all wired up, and should make things more manageable.

Here are a couple of photos.

Attachment 243723Attachment 243724

The next thing I learned, was how hard it was to find a good drywall contractor. I've been chasing the drywall contracting company for a month to get a quote for installing the resilient channel + clips + 2 layers of drywall, and still don't have a price confirmed or installation date lined up.

At this stage I'm tempted to do it myself -- if I didn't have 3000 square feet of hardwood floors to lay over the next few weekends - then I would.

In the mean time - back to chasing the drywall contractor.
LL
LL
post #17 of 99 Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I bumped into this the other day around the corner from my construction site. Must be a nod to the man who did the theater design

I suspect named after my Scottish ancestors sent (involuntarily) down under by the Crown.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #18 of 99 Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

I suspect named after my Scottish ancestors sent (involuntarily) down under by the Crown.

Found this funny............

My Aunt moved to outskirts of Sydney in the late 60's for six months............didn't take her long to move her family back to "jolly ole England". She always referred to her short time in Australia as her own "Papillon".

I count my blessings my Aunt didn't like Aussieland............my very own mother was planning on following her sister, but instead planned on moving to Christ Church!

Funny how fate works...........

To the OP, sorry for raiding your thread..........I too currently live in the Pacific Northwest .....aka. "God's Country".
post #19 of 99 Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Loved the pacific northwest.....but missed the sunshine.

Now I have plenty of sunshine, but miss the skiing. Not just pacific northwest, but north America in general. You don't know how good you've got it until you miss it
post #20 of 99 Old 08-07-2013, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Reviving a very old thread.... the house build took a long time, and was a constant drain on financial resources so things moved pretty slow.

On the plus side of things, our kitchen wound up being in a photo shoot for a 2 page magazine spread so I've got a positive balance in the wife acceptance factor account (WAFA) and have been given pretty much free reign with my man cave smile.gif

My father and I slowly working on it every weekend.

We've installed resilient clips and channel, rented a dry wall lift, hung all the plaster, and started framing the stage, riser and soffits.

post #21 of 99 Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

I also made a 3D rendering to help me visualize things a bit more, and help me out with color scheme selection.

Since i made the rendering, I felt the column designs were a little too plain, so 've been toying around with some alternate designs.

I came across the following sketch which I thought was promising, so I'm going to use it loosely for inspiration

Also, since the WAFA has sky rocketed like the S&P since the GFC, I've convinced my wife she should aint the clouds / sky ceiling when she has some spare time.
post #22 of 99 Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Over the last few months, dad and I have been working on mudding/taping up the drywall, as well as putting down a base coat of paint, and assembling the columns.

My father has been instrumental in building these columns and having the patience to mud/tape it all. Dad is retired these days and sometimes drops by during the week while I'm at work and works on things.

I also purchased a middle atlantic rack, and now all those wires in the wiring closet look a little neater with wall plates installed

post #23 of 99 Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Fantastic Job turning the concept sketch into reality. Those columns just "ooze" art deco...
Is the plan to build the bases for the columns also?

Looking forward to seeing more.

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #24 of 99 Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have made some bases - though not as large as the sketch. I didn't think making them that large was going to work given the size of the room.

The other thing I struggled with, was whether to create the bases for the columns that sit on top of the riser, as those columns are shorter by the height of the riser.

What I wound up doing as a compromise was building bases only for the columns that don't sit on top of the riser, and making the base height the same height as the riser.

Hopefully this will wind up looking good. I'll post some photos when its done.

If all goes well and I get some good weather this weekend, I'm going to assemble the bases to the columns and spray paint them with the final paint color.
post #25 of 99 Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

I got lucky with the weather today... it's the middle of winter and has been raining all week.

Then Saturday comes around and it's nice and sunny with no wind.

My father and I thought - what a perfect day to do some spray painting. You can see all the bits and pieces for the columns we've been working on.

We managed to get 2 final coats on today. The color is a metallic paint - a cross between silver and gold. It's a store brand label from Masters here in Australia (Lowe's equivalent).

Next step on the theater is going to be ordering in all the acoustic insulation and fabric.
post #26 of 99 Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 46
So, when I make it to Sydney this year, I can watch movies?

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #27 of 99 Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
How on earth did I miss this downunder build ???

Beautiful house and nice work so far on the theatre ... can't wait to see how it all turns out !

Cheers,
post #28 of 99 Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

So, when I make it to Sydney this year, I can watch movies?

Well I know at least one place that will accommodate you Dennis !!

Cheers,
post #29 of 99 Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

How on earth did I miss this downunder build ???

He'd better change the name to The Downunder Sugarloaf....its not a real build without the tag.....ok before Greg logs on and accuses me of not being a "builder" (of my own room at least) I'll raise the white flag now biggrin.gif

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #30 of 99 Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Dennis - of course you can - There's a guest room with a dedicated ensuite ready for you - just send me your dates and we'll book you in.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page