My Start To Finish Robins Theater - REBUILD Start 11/2013 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would imagine we will do a little of both. Its nice having the theater to go into, and be in the "feel" of being in a theater, plus a much larger screen.

The posters are printed on fabric, so they serve a dual purpose. Design, and they provide sound proofing also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

So we are starting an addition to our house, which is going to include a rebuild of our theater, and increase the size of the theater room. I won't do like I did when I started this thread and posted the whole build in one thread. I will try to keep this updated.

We are adding a garage, and then our theater will move over on top of the two garages.

So our current theater is about 13.5' wide x 21.5' long, the new theater will be 21.5' wide x 31' feet long, and there will be a sitting bar in the back 7' of the room with a 9' ceiling and then open up to a 13' foot ceiling in the front 24' of the room.

I am very depressed about my theater getting torn apart, but very excited to get this new and improved theater underway.

Here's the first picture of the yard being cleared out....

Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some mockups that I did in sketchup software of what the new theater will look like. I love the theme/design of my current theater, and am going to just expound on that - Bigger/Better right?

The screen on the mockup isn't correct for the room, I will be doing a Cinemascope screen, that is about 15' wide, and replacing my Runco Q750i projector with a Runco VX-11d with the McKinley anamorphic large lens with motorized lens sled.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Just a small update of the footings are dug out....

Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
So 3 rows PLUS bar seating? How many seats total? Looks like a great space.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

It will seat a total of about 18-22, if the bar was filled up too. People always ask how much you use your theater, and we use ours quite a bit. We probably do 1-2 movie nights a week, one with family, and the other I do a guys movie night with neighbors/friends. I am excited for it to seat that many, because it is always full every time we use it, with people sitting on the floor....

This whole addon is not just for the theater, it started because we wanted another garage, and then the family room space next to the theater is going to about double in size.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just a small update, progress is slow as it is cold outside. Temporary wall was built and getting ready to tear down the wall and pour the garage floor.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Just another little update, progress has been slow as the guy who is helping me is framing his own house, but he will be done with his framing in about two weeks, then ours will start to move along.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This build piqued my interest when I saw we share the same last name... then from the mountains and your original builder it looks like we're in the same neck of the woods.

I really liked the woodwork of your first theater. Judging by the SketchUp pics, The woodwork will be even better.
Also the 90 degree steps on the entrance look to be a nice touch.

I'll be following this one.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

LO4F - Your last name is Robins? You live in Southern Utah? Nice to meet someone nearby, I never have on this board before.

Had a little more progress over the past week, got the tile removed and most of the garage walls and roof removed.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 PM

I wish I was in Southern Utah this time of year. I moved up to Utah County several years ago to finish school and am now up here permanently. Yep last name is Robins, rare for me to see another "single B"

Looks like you made some good progress this last week.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I am sure whenever you tell someone your name, you have to follow it up with, Robins with one B. The only other Robins I am related to that are alive are my parents and grandparents.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 PM

Yep exactly. I wasn't aware Robbins was the norm until I left high school.
My family is from central Utah, still quite a few of them there, so I'm guessing there isn't any relation judging from what you mentioned.

Can't wait to see the build start once the demo phase is finished.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Finally an update. The guy helping me is finally done framing his house, so things should start to move along.....

Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post

LO4F - Your last name is Robins? You live in Southern Utah? Nice to meet someone nearby, I never have on this board before.

Had a little more progress over the past week, got the tile removed and most of the garage walls and roof removed.

Subscribed! Looking forward to following build to completion!

BTW, I'm always visiting your neck of the woods........my wife' sister lives in Park City.

If you're in Southern Utah, I believe Paul Scarpelli lives there too........great resource for audio/video. He used to be the Head sales rep for Triad Speakers. Send him a pm, he'll be most helpful if you have any hang ups. Paul is now retired and still hangs out at the Triad speakers forum thead here at AVS.

Best of luck.....
Old 02-13-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Been a few days since I posted last, have some more pictures to post. We are making good progress now. Unfortunately this weekend I have to take apart my current theater, will be a sad depressing weekend. But when I helped put those 12' tall walls up today, I am getting excited.....

Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Some more progress today. All the upper walls are up, I believe next week the roof trusses will go on. It's going great now.

This is looking at the screen wall.

Sorry for the dark pic, sun was going down when I got out tree to take it.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

If you look back in the thread you can see the finished pictures, but here is what I dismantled today. I will tell you something, it can be dismantled faster then it can be built.... I am not sure if I was crying while I was taking it down or sweating a lot..... I'll go with sweating a lot....

Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Was wondering if I could get some experts to chime in. Do I have enough room to put in 3 rows and a bar? The room is 31 feet long, and I plan on using the current theater seats I already have, and the other two rows will be couches. Just want to make sure I have the proper room....
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was wondering if I could get some experts to chime in. Do I have enough room to put in 3 rows and a bar? The room is 31 feet long, and I plan on using the current theater seats I already have, and the other two rows will be couches. Just want to make sure I have the proper room....

My room is 25+ feet long Using a 12 ft screen.......my first row is at 12.5 ft and here is the space I have in back:

That's almost five feet of rear space.......

You would most likely need to move 1st row seating up to 9-10 ft and contemplate how to arrange your surrounds. I have two rows of side surrounds........... You might be looking at three rows of surrounds or more than likely use dipoles..........

I bet you can do it, but will be tight for rear bar....
Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

My room is 25+ feet long Using a 12 ft screen.......my first row is at 12.5 ft and here is the space I have in back:

That's almost five feet of rear space.......

You would most likely need to move 1st row seating up to 9-10 ft and contemplate how to arrange your surrounds. I have two rows of side surrounds........... You might be looking at three rows of surrounds or more than likely use dipoles..........

I bet you can do it, but will be tight for rear bar....

You didn't mention, do you have three rows or two rows? I do have my space configured right now were the back of the first row is at 12 feet.....

I do plan on using two rows of side surrounds, I am going to be going with episode speakers, these ones -

http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/74/Episode-900-Series-In-Wall-Home-Theater-Surround-Speaker-with-6.5-in.-Woofer

I had genelec in my current theater but, they are way to small for this room size...
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You didn't mention, do you have three rows or two rows? I do have my space configured right now were the back of the first row is at 12 feet.....

I do plan on using two rows of side surrounds, I am going to be going with episode speakers, these ones -

http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/74/Episode-900-Series-In-Wall-Home-Theater-Surround-Speaker-with-6.5-in.-Woofer

I had genelec in my current theater but, they are way to small for this room size...

Sorry, Should have implied two rows......

With three rows and a bar, I highly suggest looking into two rows of dipoles. Myself personally, I prefer monopoles but with your size and depth......monopole surrounds may be an issue.

Didn't check URL resource ....but am about to.

Edit: those episode bi-poles should work fine.......best of both worlds ie. monopole/dipole.

If you are placing first row of seating at 12 ft, you will most definitely be space challenged. With traditional theater seating

1st row at 12 ft
2nd row at 18.5 ft
3rd row at 25 ft
Bar in back at 26 ft......add 1.5-2 ft for granite slab and 3 ft for seating........

Well, you are really space challenged in back........moving first row up to 9-10 ft from screen would help. Space for movement is like gold IMHO.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the surrounds are a combo of bi-pole/di-pole. They should work great, I have heard them before and they sound really good.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I would assume because I am using two rows of couches, that those tiers could be shorter? Couches don't require as much room as theater seats correct?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would assume because I am using two rows of couches, that those tiers could be shorter? Couches don't require as much room as theater seats correct?

Yup.......unless you have reclining couches.......biggrin.gif

Typical theater seating needs 6.5 ft.......with couches in 2nd and 3rd row might salvage 2-3 ft....still tight yet doable
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure if this is allowed, but just listed my Runco Q750i projector for sale in the classifieds, heres a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1518813/runco-q750i-led-projector
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if this is allowed, but just listed my Runco Q750i projector for sale in the classifieds, heres a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1518813/runco-q750i-led-projector

Just go to your profile and edit your signature and include link to projector.

When you look at my post, at bottom is link to JTR S2 I just sold. Took only a week and one-half to sell it........says a lot about JTR speakers. That is best way to go.......

What projector are you looking at? I would look into the new Sony 1100ES......will be 2.0 compliant. If you are interested, contact Mike at AVS Sales Team and get a price quote. You will be shocked.

My 1000ES is stellar and will be upgrading next month. The 1100ES is already upgraded. Good luck finding another projector!

I see you are looking at the Runco VX-11......

I live near RUNCO' Corporate office and had the chance to really look at their line up. I was dead set on using either the LS-10, or 12......also looked at the 11. Also considered the Sim Lumis......but in end, with my big screen, one view of the 1000ES I was sold! I'm extremely happy with projector........image is nothing short of spectacular. Not as bright as the Runco's or Sim's but IMHO, blacks and quality of picture is much better.

Just throwing it out there........,
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have already purchased the vx-11d, bought it from a Runco dealer that was switching out his showroom projector. Got it with the automatic cinescope sled and lens to. I believe it is against forum rules to talk price, but lets just say I paid less then half of what dealer cost is. I know what dealer cost is, because another really good friend of mine(neighbor) has his own Home Theater/Home Automation company and I buy everything from him at cost.... Its always good to have connections..... But I will admit, if the vx-11d wasn't there to purchase, I would have gone with the Sony...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Wondering if someone might be able to chime in.... When you are running speaker wires to speakers that have there own amps, I know that you should use a higher gauge wire for longer runs, but when is it to long? Some of my speaker runs could be 80-100 feet, will I run into problems?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 739
check the manual on those speakers with built in amps (active speakers) the ones I am familiar with are not connected with speaker wire. Either shielded coax with RCA plug ends or balanced connectors.

Tags
episode , Integra , Jvc Pro , Runco , Stewart