The Cool HT Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Woo hoo!

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a good day so far! I have been a lurker on the forum for a very long time now and I have finally mustered up the courage to start posting my theater build. There are so many knowledgeable people on this forum and I am really excited to show you the construction of my HT and hopefully receive any input from all you wise people!

So let's begin shall we!

My HT Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

So let's start with some background first. I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada and currently my father and I are in the process of constructing our basement. We first started a few months ago in January and have been working mostly on weekends. Most of the drywall is up and there are a couple things that we have to finish before the mudding and taping next week.

The basement is 30' x 34' so it is a good size and has 9 foot ceilings (a real plus and I would encourage all future home owners to invest in)

Here is a feature list of what will be included in our basement:

*A 21x 13 home theater area
*Dry Bar
*Computer room/Spare Room (10'x11'
*Washroom (of course lol)

Here is a rough google Sketchup of our floor plan

The top left of the picture is the washroom, to the right of that is the computer room, and finally to the right of that is the furnace room. The bottom left of the picture shows the dry bar, the larger area (ping pong table FTW) and finally the HT area to the bottom right

My HT Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
OK, let's begin! Welcome to the maddness!

I'm subscribing and will be following along.

Follow my build here:
post #4 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

As far as equipment goes, this is what I have purchased and will be installed in the theater:

Reciever:Onkyo NR-807
Projector: Panasonic AE-4000U
Screen: Carada 118" Criterion Series Brilliant White 16:9 (mostly because I will be watching sports and playing games)

Sound system:

Front L/R: Klipsch RF-82 Black (2)
Center: Klipsch RC-62 Black
Surround L/R: Klipsch RS-52 Black (2)
Rear L/R: Klipsch RB-81 Black (2)
Sub: Klipsch RSW-10D Black

My HT Build:
post #5 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos from before, and recent updated ones that I will post afterwards.

Supplies :

Various shots:

We have come quite a long way since we started, the newer photos will follow in the next post, these were taken just yesterday. All the drywall is done except for a couple areas, hopefully this weekend we will finish everything we need to do. We are going to hold off on building the washroom for a little bit and construct it in stages. The mudding and taping is to begin on wednesday next week! So excited!!

My HT Build:
post #6 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Very nice! Good luck!

Sight and Sound
post #7 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Most recent photos:

Home theater area:

Dry Bar Area:

My HT Build:
post #8 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Liked: 13
Very nice start. May the force be with you...

Galaxy Theater

post #9 of 41 Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Have you considered installing an infinite baffle sub instead of a box sub? The furnace room would be great baffle space.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla View Post

Have you considered installing an infinite baffle sub instead of a box sub? The furnace room would be great baffle space.

I am intrigued...what is an infinite baffle sub like and how does it work?

My HT Build:
post #11 of 41 Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I was previously worried about vibration issues coming from the main floor and shaking the projector image. Rather than installing the mount directly onto the joist I decided to do something a little different.

If you mount something directly to the structure such as the joist it passes through vibration very easily. Anybody who walks around upstairs will be noticeable because their weight will cause the joist to move slightly which translates it to the projector.

So instead of installing the mount on the joist, I had to think of another way of mounting it without it contacting the ceiling whatsoever. Because we ran resilient channel tracks in on the roof to mount the drywall the drywall was not in direct contact with the joists, but rather only the channels. What I did was I bought 2 2x2 tiles of insulated subfloor and cut them so that they would fit in between the resilient channel tracks and sit on top the of the drywall, in the ceiling. I screwed four screws into each corner through the bottom of the drywall into the subfloor so that it wouldn't move in the ceiling. Now those two sheets of wood (the subfloor sheets) would stay put and not move. I will be installing my mount on the drywall and screwing through the drywall into these two wooden subfloor panels. Because the subfloor panels are just resting on top of the drywall and not in contact with the joists and the floor above, I am hoping this will reduce vibration from above.

I am also buying and anti-vibration mount for my peerless PRG-UNV mount that I hope will further reduce vibration.

Do you think this is a good idea? And what types of things do you do in order to reduce vibration of projector?

My HT Build:
post #12 of 41 Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mudding and taping begins tomorrow! I will be posting some before after pics in the following week

My HT Build:
post #13 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Time to Prime baby! All the mudding and taping is complete, except for the washroom which we are doing at a later time. Primer is going up as we speak! Here are some after photos of the basement

Paint will be coming next!

My HT Build:
post #14 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

My HT Build:
post #15 of 41 Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Nice job on that drywall curve!
post #16 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a little while since my last update, but much has happened since! Basement has been entirely painted, and the stage has been built and filled with about 2000 pounds of sand.

The carpet has arrived, and will be installed monday. Suspended ceiling has also arrived and hopefully will be installed this weekend!

My HT Build:
post #17 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermatch View Post

Nice job on that drywall curve!

Thanks! Our mudding and taping guy was great, that is the only person we paid to do work as taping is such a difficult thing to do right

My HT Build:
post #18 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Stage:

My HT Build:
post #19 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Dry Bar:

My HT Build:
post #20 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

HT Area:

My HT Build:
post #21 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

A previous comment left by a user said that I could make an "infinite baffle sub." Does anybody have experience with one? And what is it like?

My HT Build:
post #22 of 41 Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Best place to read up on IB subs is The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled - and IB FAQ here.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #23 of 41 Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Best place to read up on IB subs is The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled - and IB FAQ here.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I currently have a sub but this is something I can definitely take a look into if I ever need to add a second sub

My HT Build:
post #24 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Carpet has been installed! Projector mounted, screen mounted. Just did a first run through last night, and was absolutely blown away by the quality of the projector, even if it is almost two years old it produces such a stunning image. All that's left now is the baseboards, finishing off the ceiling, and the lighting.

My HT Build:
post #25 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Front:

Back:

My HT Build:
post #26 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
What paint color is your soffit, walls and ceilling?
post #27 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadez336 View Post

What paint color is your soffit, walls and ceilling?

The paint we used is from Sherwin-Williams, they have had a few 40% off sales recently so we ended up buying our paint from them. The walls are a beige, I believe it is called "balanced beige" the soffit is a red called "sundried tomato" The projector wall is pretty much the darkest black we could get, and the ceiling I have to double check but it is an off-black, almost charcoal, all the colours work really well though! And the carpet is a darker brown

My HT Build:
post #28 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post

The paint we used is from Sherwin-Williams, they have had a few 40% off sales recently so we ended up buying our paint from them. The walls are a beige, I believe it is called "balanced beige" the soffit is a red called "cherry tomato" The projector wall is pretty much the darkest black we could get, and the ceiling I have to double check but it is an off-black, almost charcoal, all the colours work really well though! And the carpet is a darker brown

Thanks! I was actually going to go to Sherwin Williams tonight to look at some colors. I was well aware of the 40% off and figured I pick some up now as I'm remodeling my basement to take advantage of the deal. I really like the red you have on the soffits.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. Your HT is looking good. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
post #29 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I actually double checked the colour and its "sundried tomato" my mistake!

My HT Build:
post #30 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post

I actually double checked the colour and its "sundried tomato" my mistake!

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page