Room Size for 2 Rows Plus Bar? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I've looked through several threads that have a bar at the back, and I am wondering what would be the minimum length room to make this work. The space I'm looking at is about 18' wide, and I would like to have two rows of four seats with a bar behind the second row. Currently I'm thinking I would like to go with a screen that's about 140" wide (2.35), and I figure that puts the prime seats at around 14.5' - 15'. It seems like there would be two options.

1) Prime seats in the middle row - This would allow the room to be smaller, but also might be overwhelming for the first row viewers
2) Prime seats in the first row - This seems like the better option to me, but would require a longer room

Any advice?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My room is 21' long and I could fit two rows with no bar tightly. I would want no less than 24' depth for two rows and a bar. Guess the bar will be on the riser too? How tall are your ceilings? 8' ceilings puts the projector in the line of sight for the bar sitters on a riser, not too good.

Note: I did give up about 2' with false wall though.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I've looked through several threads that have a bar at the back, and I am wondering what would be the minimum length room to make this work. The space I'm looking at is about 18' wide, and I would like to have two rows of four seats with a bar behind the second row. Currently I'm thinking I would like to go with a screen that's about 140" wide (2.35), and I figure that puts the prime seats at around 14.5' - 15'. It seems like there would be two options.

1) Prime seats in the middle row - This would allow the room to be smaller, but also might be overwhelming for the first row viewers
2) Prime seats in the first row - This seems like the better option to me, but would require a longer room

Any advice?

That pretty much describes my room: 16' x 22'. First row is at 10'. Prime seats at 15.5', bar table behind. 136" CIH 2.35:1 screen (108" at 16x9).

If I did it over again, I'd have made the room 17' x 24'. With 4 seats across, there's only about 18" on each side for the steps. Not "tight", but an extra 6" would make it more comfortable. And length, I'd like another 6-12" in the middle row, and another foot in front.

http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

My room is 21' long and I could fit two rows with no bar tightly. I would want no less than 24' depth for two rows and a bar. Guess the bar will be on the riser too? How tall are your ceilings? 8' ceilings puts the projector in the line of sight for the bar sitters on a riser, not too good.

Note: I did give up about 2' with false wall though.

For the setup you've suggested above, I assume you would have the prime seats in the front row?

We're planning for 9' ceilings in the basement, and I'm also considering an AT screen with about 2' behind.

post #5 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

That pretty much describes my room: 16' x 22'. First row is at 10'. Prime seats at 15.5', bar table behind. 136" CIH 2.35:1 screen (108" at 16x9).

If I did it over again, I'd have made the room 17' x 24'. With 4 seats across, there's only about 18" on each side for the steps. Not "tight", but an extra 6" would make it more comfortable. And length, I'd like another 6-12" in the middle row, and another foot in front.

Jeff

Jeff, based on your experience I would need about 26' to do this comfortably with an AT screen. How is the front row viewing now? Is it overwhelming?

post #6 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Someone else asked a similar question a week or so ago.

My room is ~21', with 2' of it taken out by a false wall up front.

I have a couch as a front row, (closer than I like), second row of three seats (my ideal position, about 12' from the screen), and a third row of seats on a riser, along the back wall.

The projector is ceiling mounted close to the back wall.

If I got rid of the couch, moved the second row up a foot or two, and moved the back row up a foot or two, I could probably squeeze a "bar row" behind the back row. Keep in mind that your back row would need to be non-reclining or you'll have to deal with the space between the seats and the bar. Projector placement would also need to be considered.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff, based on your experience I would need about 26' to do this comfortably with an AT screen. How is the front row viewing now? Is it overwhelming?

It's big, but not overwhelming. No one has complained saying it was too big, either. Had a full house watching Inception (which is a pretty good visual/motion test! ) and it was fine.

I tested the size before purchasing the screen - adjusting it down didn't really change the experience from the front, but certainly impacted the size from the middle/back.

But yes, the experience from the front was my only concern when choosing the largest screen I could buy/fit...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #8 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

Someone else asked a similar question a week or so ago.

My room is ~21', with 2' of it taken out by a false wall up front.

I have a couch as a front row, (closer than I like), second row of three seats (my ideal position, about 12' from the screen), and a third row of seats on a riser, along the back wall.

The projector is ceiling mounted close to the back wall.

If I got rid of the couch, moved the second row up a foot or two, and moved the back row up a foot or two, I could probably squeeze a "bar row" behind the back row. Keep in mind that your back row would need to be non-reclining or you'll have to deal with the space between the seats and the bar. Projector placement would also need to be considered.

Sorry I missed the previous post. I try to keep an eye on the boards every day, but it's hard to keep track of every post. I know seating questions get asked pretty regularly as well, but again, each case is pretty specific, and it's tough to weed through all the search results for the ones that apply.

I had not thought about the bar interfering with the 2nd row recliners. I suppose I could use those recliners that are designed to sit against a wall, though?

post #9 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think 26' could be done as long as doorway and other room issues could be negotiated. It would be snug though..... Another 2' would seal the deal.

Quote:

For the setup you've suggested above, I assume you would have the prime seats in the front row?

We're planning for 9' ceilings in the basement, and I'm also considering an AT screen with about 2' behind.

For Primary seating I probably would consider the second row primary due to room modes and the fact that 9' is real close for any A.T. material. You probably will see the "weave" at that distance. 9' viewable plus 2' screen wall is 11' really close to the middle of the room which is where the room modes intersect(worst place for smooth acoustic response).

Also you mention 2.35, how are you going to achieve this? Zoom? Lens? Where the projector mount? You can't throw 24' with any reasonably priced projector I know for a 140" diag image, so I assume your mounting either ceiling mount or front floor mount........ If your pondering the AE4000 remember: the lens has to be positioned within the projected image to use the zoom memory feature which will bring it down into the room more than one might think. Calculate the riser height plus additional height for bar patrons to see over second row and your prob close to projector height........
post #10 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

28'....... Now I have to see if I can make that fit. I like the idea of double doors at the back of the room. Possibly have them swing out rather than in.

Quote:

Also you mention 2.35, how are you going to achieve this? Zoom? Lens? Where the projector mount? You can't throw 24' with any reasonably priced projector I know for a 140" diag image, so I assume your mounting either ceiling mount or front floor mount........ If your pondering the AE4000 remember: the lens has to be positioned within the projected image to use the zoom memory feature which will bring it down into the room more than one might think. Calculate the riser height plus additional height for bar patrons to see over second row and your prob close to projector height........

You lost me on this one. For 2.35 I was hoping to use a zoom initially, and then upgrade to a lens later once the bank account recovers. The AE4000 was on my PJ list, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it needing to be within the projected image. I assumed I could ceiling mount and angle the projector down a bit if I needed too. I take it there are no settings to adjust for the resulting distortion?

post #11 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Another option to consider is to use regular theater seats in the second row. Doing that can save you 2' of riser depth.

I always figured that most of the time we only have 3-4 people in the theater so a single row of the Berks is sufficient. I have been waffling between a bar with cabinets or a tight bar with a row of theater seats. My room is 21' deep 120" 16:9 screen, front row about 11' back.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The AE4000 was on my PJ list, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it needing to be within the projected image.

For the memory zoom to work the lens of the projector's elevation must be within the screen perimeter. you cannot have it above or below angling onto screen AND use lens memory feature. it's a limitation of this application. Just keep it in mind with screen size height etc.

You could manually zoom, adjust heights, keystone, etc but not really practical everytime you change formats.

This surprised me too.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the memory zoom to work the lens of the projector's elevation must be within the screen perimeter. you cannot have it above or below angling onto screen AND use lens memory feature. it's a limitation of this application. Just keep it in mind with screen size height etc.

You could manually zoom, adjust heights, keystone, etc but not really practical everytime you change formats.

This surprised me too.

This certainly good to know. I guess the best compromise would be to have the projector above the back of the 2nd row and in front of the bar stools (directly above the bar I suppose) to prevent anyone from hitting their head. Then you have to put bar seats on either side so that it's not in their line of site. Not ideal, but it can be worked around, I think.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Another option to consider is to use regular theater seats in the second row. Doing that can save you 2' of riser depth.

I always figured that most of the time we only have 3-4 people in the theater so a single row of the Berks is sufficient. I have been waffling between a bar with cabinets or a tight bar with a row of theater seats. My room is 21' deep 120" 16:9 screen, front row about 11' back.

This is another good point to keep in mind. I think it will depend on where the prime seats end up, though. 1st or 2nd row.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ill be building a new house and theater next spring, my proposed dimensions are 25x17x9, i'm hoping to fit in 2 rows and a bar with false wall of 2'.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #16 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Ill be building a new house and theater next spring, my proposed dimensions are 25x17x9, i'm hoping to fit in 2 rows and a bar with false wall of 2'.

You can do it, but with the false wall assumed to be 24" deep, you just need to plan carefully. Your front row will be at around 10', with a middle 6.5' riser, before the bar. I put my bar up on another riser, but I had another foot of ceiling height to work with...

Jeff

post #17 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 576
A current project of mine and NYGF23 is a 17-6 by 25-3 room with 8-6 ceilings after drywall. Two rows of four and a rear bar. everything fits fine.
2 ft for Screen Wall
+11.5 to back of first row
+6.5 for second row
5-3 for bar and stools.

He selected Fusion Tribute seating.
front row has center love seat - 120 inches wide
second row singles is 126 inches wide.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
I'm looking to do three rows plus bar area in 32 feet long. My solution appears to just start the front row a little early - making middle row the sweet spot.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page