Custom Media Cabinet Ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Having a furniture maker customize a media cabinet to go into a 'nook' of the theater room.

The nook:


Rough drawing:


For height, we're thinking 30-36" with a countertop. Depth to be about 25" or more as needed, but it will definitely be inside the nook rather than protruding out, allowing enough clearance from stage/screen. The front face of the cabinet will be 9' ft wide and the back of it will be 7' ft wide. This means it will be angled in on both ends. I'm thinking of placing 2 small 1-ft wide doors on each end for smaller storage items, and the middle being for larger equipment (4 doors maybe).

I was going to have it made with normal adjustable shelves, but was wondering if there are any racks available that can fit right into cabinets such as this and allow height adjustment & slideout function?

Or any designs that you may have seen/done that could go well in this space?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
dwightp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Middle Atlantic has several slide-out-and-rotate models that could work in a credenza. Here's one:



Link: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/asr_hd.htm

The Middle Atlantic website shows several options that could work for your cabinet: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm (scroll down to the "Slide Out Equipment Racks" section.

I haven't ever priced these but I would expect them to be expensive, like most Middle Atlantic stuff. Good, but expensive.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
dwightp is offline  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

Middle Atlantic has several slide-out-and-rotate models that could work in a credenza. Here's one:



Link: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/asr_hd.htm

The Middle Atlantic website shows several options that could work for your cabinet: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm (scroll down to the "Slide Out Equipment Racks" section.

I haven't ever priced these but I would expect them to be expensive, like most Middle Atlantic stuff. Good, but expensive.

Thanks, this looks great. Hopefully not too expensive...otherwise, I might be fabricating some myself. Wonder if anyone has DIY'd with heavy duty drawer rails...hmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,315
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
7-9' of cabinets is quite a bit for components - or are you expecting to put BD/DVD "media" in there, too? If so, you might want some drawers custom sized for BD/DVD cases...

And perhaps some of that space could be used for a "beverage center"?

What goes above the counter? 25" depth is a big counter - you could fill the wall with BD/DVD bookshelves. Here's mine with a downlight and glass shelves (a built in, but would look impressive over the cabinetry)...



Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

7-9' of cabinets is quite a bit for components - or are you expecting to put BD/DVD "media" in there, too? If so, you might want some drawers custom sized for BD/DVD cases...

And perhaps some of that space could be used for a "beverage center"?

What goes above the counter? 25" depth is a big counter - you could fill the wall with BD/DVD bookshelves. Here's mine with a downlight and glass shelves (a built in, but would look impressive over the cabinetry)...

Jeff

Great looking shelves!

It def is a lot of space and I'm pushing for a small fridge but we've got one going in the bar that's also being built in the basement. But never know.

Only 2 of the main cabinets will be used for components. The other 2 mains for anything extra, like movies, games, etc. As far as the counter, just to place remotes, snacks, and any additional devices that someone might want to hook in. There will be wall plates with multiple inputs at the counter level for this. Otherwise, it's just finishing off that area to look nice.

Besides some kind of cabinetry in the nook, haven't been able to think of other things to fill it up.

Def open to any suggestions!

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,315
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

It def is a lot of space and I'm pushing for a small fridge but we've got one going in the bar that's also being built in the basement. But never know.

Ah, ok, then you've got that covered.

Quote:


Only 2 of the main cabinets will be used for components. The other 2 mains for anything extra, like movies, games, etc. As far as the counter, just to place remotes, snacks, and any additional devices that someone might want to hook in. There will be wall plates with multiple inputs at the counter level for this. Otherwise, it's just finishing off that area to look nice.

Does the popcorn machine also go in the bar area?

Definitely consider some "media" storage then. Otherwise you'll end up with either stacks of them, or a purchased DVD/CD stand somewhere...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Jeff, if a microwave can be considered a popcorn machine, then yes

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,315
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Jeff, if a microwave can be considered a popcorn machine, then yes

Hmmm... You may have just failed the qualification exam for participation in this forum.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off