post #271 of 1947 Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

I am am Real Estate agent in the area and there is not a better or more trusted builder in town than the one J_P_A is using. Can't wait to see the next update pictures!

Don't get much better than that! Oh, and I can't wait for photos either. But since he DID get hit by a truck, I'm willing to cut him SOME slack.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1947 Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I really do like our builder. Having done some construction in the past, I was really concerned about how this would go. Any time we've had any issues so far, he's been quick to correct them, and he's done a really good job of listening to my concerns and addressing them. The group of people he's put together are top notch, and they really have made the process fun! Once I finally realized that these guys know what they're doing, this process became a lot less stressful. If you live in my area, and need a builder, I'd recommend ours over anyone else, hands down!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #273 of 1947 Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, after two days of pulling wire, I ended up with this bundle of Cat6 and Coax. It looks pretty wimpy compared to what a lot of you guys have done, but I still need to run all of my speaker wire for in-ceiling speakers as well as control and power for future window shades. This was a little tougher than probably necessary because we were trying to limit the number of holes we drilled in our joists. We were hoping to pull our wire after the electricians started so we could get a feel for where they ran stuff, but the electricians are behind, so we just had to get started.

On a positive note, we've picked out a brick, and we've picked out our shingles. Hopefully we'll be moving pretty quick again soon. Electricians are supposed to be in there tomorrow, so lots happening this week.

I also wanted to mention the the company I bought most of cabling from was top notch. It's Cabling Systems Supply Inc., and they have great customer service. For pricing, they beat Monoprice on everything except CAT6 (although the pricing shown on their website it way out of date, you just have to call them). They took the time to find out what I was trying to do, and offered advice on how I might save some money. After I placed my order, Leo even called back before shipping to ask if I would prefer a siamesed coax since I planned to pull two RG6 to each location. He through it in at NO EXTRA COST! Believe me, that siamesed cable made a huge difference, too!

post #274 of 1947 Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any potential issues with code when running your own wire? Or is low voltage / data / speaker cable not really regulated?

post #275 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As far as I know, as long as you keep your LV wire separated from your HV wiring (i.e. keep them out of the same enclosures), you're good. However, I don't know all the electric code, so I'll feel a lot better once the electricians have been in and looked everything over.

post #276 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

That is a pretty good bundle of wires, there is no shame in that bundle, so hold your head high.

I know the want or need to wait to see where things are run so you have an idea, but don't sweat it. Now that you have run your wires the electricians will have to run their stuff around yours.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #277 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

That is a pretty good bundle of wires, there is no shame in that bundle, so hold your head high.

Yeah, what RT said.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #278 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've never had another man reassure me about the size of my "bundle." I'm not exactly sure what to do, now........

I'm not too worried about the electricians having to work around my wiring, but I'm more worried about the parts of the electric code that I just don't know exist. You know, like the rule that says I can't use the same hole that my HVAC ducts go through, or that you have to carry a pink bunny around when running coax. That sort of stuff

post #279 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

or that you have to carry a pink bunny around when running coax.

Funny. In my municipality it's a baby blue squirrel.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #280 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Funny. In my municipality it's a baby blue squirrel.

DANG IT! DANG IT! DANG IT!

I felt like such an idiot with that pink bunny... I should have known it was a baby blue squirrel....

post #281 of 1947 Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DANG IT! DANG IT! DANG IT!

I felt like such an idiot with that pink bunny... I should have known it was a baby blue squirrel....

It's ok we all learn through experience

The Austin Home Theater:

post #282 of 1947 Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pink bunnies and baby blue squirrels aside, we've had quite a bit of progress today. The roofers started yesterday, and it looks like they finished today (wow that was fast) and the electricians have been working on getting lights, switches, and plugs laid out, the framers were out doing some surgery on the back of the house to make room for more windows, and the brick was delivered. My wife said it looked like someone was throwing a party at our house. Cars were parked out by the road!

Here's our new roof (sorry for the bad pics, the sun just doesn't want to cooperate with me getting a good picture).

Here's a shot of the wall in the living room where we are adding more windows. The two windows that we had in there just didn't fit the wall, so, when in doubt, go bigger, right? Rather than just get all new windows, we're actually rearranging the ones we have and adding three more.

The framers actually had to cut out the LVL and move it down. I'm not sure what the story on the OSB is, but that hole doesn't really match with what we've got in mind for windows. Hopefully they'll have them in tomorrow

post #283 of 1947 Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice. That is going to be one beautiful home when it is all said and done. Good call on the windows. Always nice to have some extra light coming in, unless you have a projector in there.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #284 of 1947 Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How are things coming along?

War Eagle!
post #285 of 1947 Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for checking in! Things are coming along pretty good. The electricians are wiring everything now, and the brick masons got a start last Friday, but didn't make it back out today. Why they would come out for 2-1/2 hours on Friday, but not come back on Monday is beyond me, but as long as they don't hold up everything else, I'm not complaining.

Windows for the living room should be delivered tomorrow, and installed on Wednesday (hopefully the front door as well), and there are a few other odds and ends the framers will need to do.

So right now we've got to finish with the electrical before we do the spray foam and get the drywall guys in there.

As an interesting side note, We actually found a hole in the roof that you could only see from one spot in the house. It looked like a nail hole, but no idea how that happened as it had to go through the decking, through the felt, and through the shingles. I am hoping we get another heavy rain before the foam gets applied so I can go through and look for more leaks, though.

post #286 of 1947 Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I love spray foam! Great for thermal insulation! Love it, love it!

Oh, should you not at least post a photo or two to keep us all happy? I'm just sayin'

Regards,

RTROSE

post #287 of 1947 Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess I have been slacking lately. Unfortunately, there really hasn't been anything photo worthy. They only got about ten rows of brick up, so not much to look at there (despite it making my wife and I both giddy at the thought of seeing what our house will really look like). Outside of that, there's just a bunch of blue and black electrical boxes on the walls.

But here goes anyway!

This probably isn't what you had in mind, but here's a (poor) picture of the hole we found in the roof. It's that little spec of white in the circle. Yep, those would be clouds, and we didn't plan on a skylight

post #288 of 1947 Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
when are the roofers coming back to fix that hole? Thats just crazy. Is there anything on the outside that would suggest what caused it
post #289 of 1947 Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure when they'll be back, but I don't think it's an issue as long as they do it before the foam gets applied. There are a few other things that haven't been finished either, so I'm sure they'll make one trip do it.

My guess is that one of the ledger boards they use to walk on (not exactly sure what they're called) is the culprit. I'm told that for a steep roof like this, they actually roof it from the top down, and they use those ledger boards to walk on. I'm guessing it got nailed in the wrong spot. It is pretty wild though. Even my builder said he's never seen it happen before. Of course, considering you could only see the hole from a specific spot in the house, I'm not sure that makes me feel too much better

post #290 of 1947 Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I've been falling behind on my pictures lately, I thought I'd add a couple more today. Here's the first few runs of brick. The mortar is damp in these pictures, but it should dry to a light gray.

and here's the current state of my AV closet. Those wires are for whole home audio. I just ran speaker wires to each room and left a wire in the ceiling where I'd like to put speakers..... someday. I'm planning to use an Apple airplay and an old AV receiver for the kitchen since my wife and I both like to listen to music or the ball game when we're cooking. Nothing fancy, but since I've got most of the stuff already, I figured why not. I can always upgrade to one of those fancy systems later.

Someone also pointed out that there are several sections on our roof that absolutely need to have flashing (I really appreciate you pointing that out!). For some reason, that had slipped off of my radar, and they even pointed out a section that I would have completely overlooked. One of the areas already has flashing (thankfully), and the other doesn't look like the roofers are finished, so I suspect they're planning to come back and finish that up once the stone is set on front porch, but I'm certainly going to follow up. Here's a picture of the two areas in question, just for prosperity's sake. The first picture shows the area that area that already has the flashing. You can just see the drip edge extending out past the edge of the bottom of the wall. The rest of the flashing is behind the house wrap. The second picture is of the area that has not been finished yet (on the left).

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate everyone's feedback. My wife and I plan to do this once, so any suggestions, recommendations, or problems you can point out are greatly appreciated!

post #291 of 1947 Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

That brick is going to turn out really nice. Looking good. I'd definitely keep a watchful eye on those things that you find need attention and taking pictures and keeping a record of those things may come in handy down the road. You just may never know.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #292 of 1947 Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. That is looking really great.

Having a dedicated AV equipment room like that will be really nice. I wish I had that much space to house gear.

I'm looking forward to watching this.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #293 of 1947 Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Now if only I had some stuff to put in the AV closet

post #294 of 1947 Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Now if only I had some stuff to put in the AV closet

I'll send you an M&M's Nascar FM radio for your AV closet as long as you don't ask me how the heck it ended up in my possession!
post #295 of 1947 Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TMcG, that's awfully generous of you, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass. My wife's a huge Nascar fan, and as much as I love M&M's, and fm, and radios in general, I'm just afraid it would end up in our living room. Too much of a good thing, and all

However, that does sounds like an interesting story!

post #296 of 1947 Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brick masons are back! They've got most of the basement side of the house done, as well as part of the front and back! This makes a huge difference in the look of the house. The mortar is still wet, and it will turn a light gray which makes the brick look lighter as well. We really like the way the brick is looking. It took a long time to find this brick, but once we settled on it, we're sure it's what fits the house

And here's an action shot! That's a stack of four bricks the guy is tossing up! Sorry for the slow shutter speed, it was getting pretty dark, and I just had my knock around lens on the camera.

post #297 of 1947 Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Looks great!

War Eagle!
post #298 of 1947 Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking great!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #299 of 1947 Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys!

I've got a question to pose to the group. The electricians asked where I would like to put my surface mount sub panel in the basement, and it looks like the best place is on the back side of the front wall of the theater. Keep in mind that I'm planning a false wall, so the screen will not actually be on the wall as shown, but here's a layout with the proposed location.

The rest of the storage area is concrete, and I'd really prefer not to drill holes in the concrete after we spent as much as we did on waterproofing. I realize there's really no chance that they would drill all the way through, but it still bothers me for some reason. That really leaves the theater wall as the only framed wall in the storage area.

I'm planning to soundproof everything either with room within a room or using clips and channel, so I don't think vibration and rattling should be a problem. I really can't see any reason not to put it there, but I thought I'd ask for everyone's opinion to see if I'm overlooking anything.

post #300 of 1947 Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 574
where is your equipment stack going to be?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page