40Likes

post #31 of 1750 Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Almost forgot. Entry to the storage area is a problem I haven't worked out yet. I've considered using french cleats and just lifting the screen off the wall when I need to get back there, and I've also considered a piano hinge or something to swing the screen up. I'm not a huge fan of either option as I'd like to DIY a masking system at some point.

I'm open to suggestions!

I was guessing about 24" behind the screen wall, so it sounds like I need to bump that up to 28"-30". I'd rather have a little extra than not enough!
Take a look at JapanDave's thread. His screen swings out for access to his LCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1750 Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR7 View Post

Take a look at JapanDave's thread. His screen swings out for access to his LCR.

Awesome! I considered doing this, but dismissed it at some point because of the size of the screen. I clearly wasn't thinking........ sturdy enough

It looks like with a little bit of forethought, some steal, and a little time welding, I should be able to keep access to my storage area without losing any space in the theater, and still be able to add a DIY masking system sometime down the road.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #33 of 1750 Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally making some progress on the theater.... I mean house

In theater news, we got the scaled drawings back, and the room is long enough that we added a hallway at the front with an access through the bathroom (thanks for the suggestions everyone!).

I realize the rest of this is not theater related, but we're so glad finally be moving dirt that I can't help myself.

We finally have a driveway (of sorts, anyway)

And that Cat is sitting about where the house will be. That thing pushed down a 70' oak tree like it was pushing over a coat rack. I hated to lose any trees, but we were careful to put the house where we would lose mostly sweet gum trees and other trees that were either diseased or damaged. The oak had three trunks, and one was hollow at the base, so it would have been at risk for falling anyway.

post #34 of 1750 Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Happy for you! I remember that time well myself. Exciting stuff!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #35 of 1750 Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Tony!

It is exciting for us. My wife is expecting and is due within about two weeks of when the house is scheduled to be finished. I just hope she can hold out until it's done! Sure would be nice to bring the new baby home to our new house!

post #36 of 1750 Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Liked: 14
I can't quite tell, does the bedroom also have walk out doors, or just the gameroom? Egress window???
post #37 of 1750 Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The bedroom has three windows, which I've been told meets code for egress. Thoughts?

post #38 of 1750 Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That's a nice looking lot. Should be very relaxing to come home to.

I would like to see house progress in general. I was ahead of you for a while, and thought I would break ground first, but I'm still trying to get the HT design finalized before I start. I've been watching Kris (KBLaw) thread since he has similar sized theater, and I assume similar challenges. There's something to learn in all the build threads here, but I've noticed there are certain challenges for small theaters, and different challenges for larger ones, so it's good to see another plus sized theater going in.

post #39 of 1750 Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

Update - We're getting close to final CAD drawings. I'd really like input on my layout. Particularly any thoughts on how to access the storage area behind the proposed screen wall.

After reading as much as I could on this forum over the past several years, I'm finally ready to post my own build thread (my 500th post seemed as good a time as any). On one hand this seems like a huge step forward because I've waited so long to start, but on the other it's still going to be a long time before I even get to put up the first 2x4. So, fair warning, this is going to be very slow, particularly to begin with as we have to build the house before I can actually start on the theater. Fortunately, to some degree we're designing the house around a space for the HT, and this is what we've got in mind:

1) I intend to use the pro layout service, but I want to get the orientation of the room with respect to the rest of basement hammered out before I have the room designed by the pros. I will need the scale drawings from the architect to make sure I give Dennis and company the correct dimensions of the space.

2) The theater will be in the basement with no exterior windows.

3) We want to have at least an 18' x 24' x 9' space, but I would like to go as much as 19' x full width of the basement if I can (around 32' not counting odd nooks).

4) Right now I'm planning to use DD+GG, but I haven't decided on which method to use for decoupling the walls yet (Room-within-a-room if possible, clips and channel if not).

5) We are planning to have two rows of seating with a bar at the back for overflow seating. We intend to use this primarily for movies and gaming, but we also enjoy football and would like to host football parties during the season.

6) I would like a 2.35:1 AT screen, and after reading Tony123's thread, I'm thinking 14' wide sounds pretty good.

I think that's all the basics, so now for the obligatory sketch. I've updated the original post with the current sketch. The room is now 19x34 with an extra 3' section at the back for a total of 19x37.

Rather than reduce the size of your theater so that you can get the door to the storage in the bathroom, Why not go into the unexcavated area of the garage Corner of unexcavated garage that touches theater and storage) and make a door to the storage area there. You can do this with out adding any more foundation walls. You just excavate the corner of the garage down to basement level at the corner of the garage that touches the theater. Place one steel beam and two small beams to support the slab on the theater side and storge room side and the concrete foundation walls on the garage side would support the ceiling. Form up the ceiling, place rebar and make the ceiling structural concrete over this corner.

This would give you good access to the storage area and not steal any footage from the theater. If you have any questions regarding what I am talking about, you can email or call me. I was a commercial general contractor for over 25 years.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #40 of 1750 Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

That's a nice looking lot. Should be very relaxing to come home to.

I would like to see house progress in general. I was ahead of you for a while, and thought I would break ground first, but I'm still trying to get the HT design finalized before I start. I've been watching Kris (KBLaw) thread since he has similar sized theater, and I assume similar challenges. There's something to learn in all the build threads here, but I've noticed there are certain challenges for small theaters, and different challenges for larger ones, so it's good to see another plus sized theater going in.

I've got a few more pictures that really show the view, and it's one of the things that I'm most proud of at this point. We were careful to lay the house out with windows facing the best views wherever we could. I'm planning to update the thread as construction progresses. It's going to be a while before I get to the theater, so I've got to keep this thread alive with something.

You're right about the size of the room. I think it's going to be nice, but it does pose some interesting challenges. Seems like the biggest one will be keeping a budget when it comes time to buy equipment

post #41 of 1750 Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@AV, I did consider a few different options with regard to access to the storage area. However, Once we got the scaled drawings of the basement, it turns out that even with the hallway in the back, the theater will be about 30' long at the shortest point. That should be plenty for what we have in mind.

Thanks for the ideas, though. The more the better!

post #42 of 1750 Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

@AV, I did consider a few different options with regard to access to the storage area. However, Once we got the scaled drawings of the basement, it turns out that even with the hallway in the back, the theater will be about 30' long at the shortest point. That should be plenty for what we have in mind.

Thanks for the ideas, though. The more the better!

No problem, just trying to max out the space so that you have plenty of room for AT screen, IB and two rows of seating.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #43 of 1750 Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Minor update. We had a bit of a delay, but should start making a lot or progress starting this week. We've got the basement dug, and here's a pic from the money seats in the theater

And just 'cause I'm really excited about construction beginning in earnest, here's a pic of the view from the basement

And a pic from the back porch

And finally, do you think it's too early for one of those photo-chopped screenshots in my theater? Nah!

post #44 of 1750 Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey,

I'm a little late to the party (Tony I know I called you out in AM's thread so I'm ready here) but I'll be following along. I actually like to see the full out construction threads, nothing like seeing a whole house er ah theater take shape. That is a beautiful lot, should provide many years of enjoyment.

As for screen shots, nah it is never to early for those!

Looking forward to more progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #45 of 1750 Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually thought the photos you have with the woods were my photos of my yard! I was thinking....why would I have posted that here?

Beautiful place! And not too early for a screen shot. Those are the things that keep you motivated and in positive mind during the rollercoaster ride.

Construction Thread
post #46 of 1750 Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uh oh. I've been caught. Tony recognized his pictures. I was hoping he wouldn't realize we were building in his back yard

Glad to have you along RT. I'm hoping the house moves quickly. Then there will be a bit of lull before I get to finish the theater, but hopefully not too long.

We're excited about construction starting. I feel like I say that 20 times a day, but we were really getting fed up with all the hurdles to actually getting started. We spent all day yesterday picking out finishes for the house. My wife was loving it, and we all know, Wife = Happy is a good thing!

Here's the current progress. Footings are in, and they hope to pour the basement walls tomorrow or the first of next week. Waterproofing to follow shortly after.

post #47 of 1750 Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Those sure are some purdy footers ya got there!

Good luck as you progress on your build. Did you decide what to do regarding the dimpled water break?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #48 of 1750 Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RT, right now I'm planning to use the dimpled membrane. However, we're waiting to get a cost estimate back from the waterproofing guys now. While the manufacturer and the sales rep both agree that it should not add any cost above what they were planning, I'm afraid they will add a premium for the trouble of doing something new.

I'll let you know how it goes.

post #49 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Our house has the sprayed on "mastic" and the dimpled drain board. It was a $3k premium on our house, but included a 60year warranty (probably worth nothing). Watch them close on the install. I came out and saw they had the drain board on BACKWARDS! In fact, don't let a day go by that you don't check progress all the way through the build. I lived and worked about 45 min from our new home, and still checked progress EVERY DAY. After work, I'd go out in the dark with a flashlight. 3 of 4 days I found something making my efforts worth it. Sad, but true.

Construction Thread
post #50 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was the additional $3K to cover the cost of the entire system, or just the addition of the drainage board to your sprayed on membrane?

post #51 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Sweet...man i missed this phase with our home. it was the original intent but when the builder decided not to build we bought the model. we got a great deal and all the options including the finished media room im about to tear out LOL but it wouldve been cool to do it from this stage...
post #52 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It included the spray on mastic (black tar looking stuff), the drain board over the entire surface of the walls (subgrade), and a sock pipe drain at the footer that the drain board ties into. Those sock pipes then tie into pipes that bring the water down the hill and let it out in the woods (about 50' from the foundation). My memory is fading, but I think the same treatment but without the drainboard was half the money, but half the warranty too.

Construction Thread
post #53 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Our house has the sprayed on "mastic" and the dimpled drain board. It was a $3k premium on our house, but included a 60year warranty (probably worth nothing). Watch them close on the install. I came out and saw they had the drain board on BACKWARDS! In fact, don't let a day go by that you don't check progress all the way through the build. I lived and worked about 45 min from our new home, and still checked progress EVERY DAY. After work, I'd go out in the dark with a flashlight. 3 of 4 days I found something making my efforts worth it. Sad, but true.

I was at my house every day after work while they built it (and took pics). There were a number of things that I caught that would have been almost impossible to fix after the fact. My next door neighbors came to their construction site 2 times while it was being built and there were all kinds things that did not get caught....
post #54 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@Tony, WHEW! I was really worried there. I can see that the entire waterproofing job would add that much. I was worried that just adding the drainage board would carry that much of a premium. Both of reps I spoke with seemed to think that the cost of the drainage board would be offset by the cost of the r-board they would not have to buy. And like you said, without the drainage board, there isn't a warranty. I'm not sure my builder was aware of that. I'm curious to see what they have to say.

I'm definitely stopping by every day. I know there is no one that has my best interests at heart more than little 'ol ME I'm sure by now my builder hates to hear his new mail jingle, cause I fill his inbox pretty regularly.

I wasn't going to post any pics today, but since I'm already posting a reply, I thought I'd post this pic of the rocks that came out of my basement. A couple of these are pretty big (that's a full size dumpster off to the left). One of the caveats in the contract had to do with rocks that were too big to move with the loader adding extra cost. I was out there when they found one of these. The dozer was cruising along, and BANG! Stopped dead. I just had to take my camera and leave. Fortunately, they dug it out and pushed it up the hill. Don't want to think what it would have cost to carry it off. I think we'll just push them somewhere on the lot and plant some flowers around them now

post #55 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Holy crap, now those are rocks!

Third what is said about being there. I took pictures through the whole process and have a record where everything is in the house, including all the LV I got to run but had to hide behind the walls (damn tract home builder). Caught a 4 foot crark in an LVL spanning 16 feet they planned on leaving in place.
post #56 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Those are some big rocks. I like the idea of using them on the property for something decorative. My inlaws have a very large rock with their address sandblasted into it, looks really nice.

I too believe that in the big scheme of things that the only person looking out for your best interest is you. Don't think of it as being a pest or a bother, look at it as protecting your (probably) biggest investment.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #57 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 187
post #58 of 1750 Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Those are some big rocks. I like the idea of using them on the property for something decorative. My inlaws have a very large rock with their address sandblasted into it, looks really nice.

That's an awesome idea! We're gonna have to do that!

And, Fred, I can say they're nice boulders now, but believe me, that's not the sort of thing I had to say about them when they were still in my basement

post #59 of 1750 Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We've certainly made some visible progress over the past few days. They formed up the basement walls on Monday and Tuesday morning, and poured the walls Tuesday afternoon.

On Wednesday morning (today) they removed the forms. Now raining buckets, so I don't image there is going to be anything done today, but the water should help slow the concrete curing, which I've always been told is a good thing.

Our waterproofer says using the dimpled membrane shouldn't be a problem, but we're still waiting on a quote. Our builder has mentioned several times that he's excited about using this product. I sort of hate we're the guinea pigs, but from what I've read its a bit of a no brainer. We'll see how it goes!

And finally, I spent last night looking over the specs for the basement sewage pump. Not exactly the most glamorous of the things to choose, but necessary I suppose. Looks like we'll be using a 1/2 hp Proflo unit. Anyone have any advice about these things? They all seem pretty straight forward.

post #60 of 1750 Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Man,

That sure is some purdy concrete ya got there. As far as the pump goes is it a maceration pump that chops up the poo as well as sending it on down the line, or just a heavy duty type sump pump. I would guess in your situation it is a maceration pump. I guess I would get a pump that the manufacturer is not afraid to stand behind, besides would you not want the #1 pump for the #2 business at hand?

Just a thought.

Looking good so far.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page