Another small step for The Plains Theater
and one giant...... no..... no..... really just a small step. I got me ledger board up for my soffits on all three walls. I don't need one at the front since my soffit will not go all the way to the front wall. My bottom supports on the soffit (the ones perpendicular to the walls) will attach to the bottom of that ledger board. Generally I would have have put the ledger board where my drywall could attach to it along the edge, but the the way my channel worked out, it just wouldn't work. Also of interest, I tried to source the metal channel that BIG used in one of his builds, but again, I live in some sort of geographical oddity because no one has it, and they told me all their metal framing is being discontinued. So, it's standard 2x's for this project.
Also, I ended up using 3-1/2" coarse thread screws to attach my boards to the channel. I would have preferred 3-1/4", but no luck finding those. I've checked in several places, and while the screw point comes out even with the bottom of the channel, it doesn't go past it, so I should be fine. Here's some pics for proof. next up will be the 2x2's on the ceiling, then I'll finish the framing for it. After that, it's either lighting and electrical, or stage and riser. I have to decide on my lighting pretty soon. I've put it off about as much as I can.....
Here it is above the door. I also managed to get my door shimmed up and screwed in place. It doesn't fit as well as before, unfortunately. On the latch side, the gap goes from maybe 1/16"-1/8" at the top to somewhere between 1/8"-1/4" at the bottom. It's enough that you can see it if you are looking at it, but I don't think it's noticeable to anyone just using the door. The problem is my drywall comes to within 1/4" of the door frame on the theater side, so I can't get any shims in from that side. I had to put all the shims in from the outside and caused the frame to twist ever so slightly at the bottom. It was either cut out my drywall down there to get some shims in or, leave it. I decided to leave it. I may come back and plane the door down at the top since it might be just a shade too tight up there. We'll see.
And a pic of the wall opposite the door for good measure. A construction tip for those following along, I used my self leveling laser level again for this. I set it up on my ladder, and once I got it to the right height, it case a line around the room that made it much easier to set that ledger board. A self leveling laser level would be one of the first tools I would buy if I had to replace all of my tools tomorrow!
To hang each board, I drove two 3" screws into the line about 1/2" (not enough to go through the drywall) and set my board on top of those. That freed up my hands enough to drive the screws. Amazing what one man can do when he's motivated
And lastly, I broke one of my rules! I bought some equipment for the theater. I told myself I would wait till the very end in hopes of keeping enough of my budget to actually finish the room. I figured I could always pick up equipment as I went along, but I really needed to get the room right. Well, I've been keeping an eye out for a few hard to find pieces, just in case, and a member here on AVS gave me a heads up on an A-lens. Well, it was too good a deal to pass up, so I sprang for it! I'm crazy excited about this thing! I didn't think I'd get to go with an A-lens right out the gate. I figured that would be one of those upgrades that would just have to wait. It's a C-stock lens, so it has some cosmetic issues, including a chip in the lens, but I called Panamorph, and sent them some pictures of it, and they assured me that everything was cosmetic. The chip is ugly, but it's well outside the light path! This lens has given me a much needed boost! I'm excited about making some progress again!