post #1081 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoDiamante View Post

.......I was going to inquire whether a "dual voice coil" subwoofer could have each voice coil separately amplified or if it just doesn't work that way.

David

I "think" you can do that, but I'm far from an expert on subs. The other thing to consider about these amps is they'll deliver around 1,400 W to a single channel during peaks. I'm not sure what sort of continuous load you would expect from a sub, but it might be worth asking their tech support group what they think about it. If you do, let me know what they say. This seems to be a very capable amp, and it may very well be able to handle sub duty for some smaller subs, or even some large horns......... Hmmmmmm cool.gif

It occurred to me that I will need 9 channels of amplification because I'm planning for a side array. Add to that two wides and two heights, and I'm up to 13 channels. I doubt they'll need 350 W each, but it never hurts to have some headroom...... I may have just talked myself into it smile.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I also thought about a second one if I could have bridged some of the channels for subwoofers.  Alas, they are not bridgeable.  

I was going to inquire whether a "dual voice coil" subwoofer could have each voice coil separately amplified or if it just doesn't work that way.

David

Yeah you could have each voice coil separately amplified. That's the whole point of having separate voice coils :P
post #1083 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Just make sure both voice coils get the exact same signal.
post #1084 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Just make sure both voice coils get the exact same signal.

Ooooohhhhhhh...... That's a nasty thought. I have no idea what would happen, but it has the feeling that it would catastrophic under the right circumstances!

post #1085 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Don't hurt your back lifting it to the countertop.  It's something like 98 pounds!

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #1086 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
post #1087 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

Yeah you could have each voice coil separately amplified. That's the whole point of having separate voice coils :P

When posed this question, the sub manufacturer strongly suggested NOT doing this.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #1088 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Well, I broke The Plains Theater - Rule Number One........ again. (Rule number one is just under the layout if you're interested smile.gif )

I bought one of these today

Sherbourn is apparently merging with Emotiva, and they're having a clearance sale. I bought the seven channel, 350W per channel amp for just $999 shipped. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I'm hoping to get a 11.x capable processor, but 7 channels of amplification will still get the basics covered if nothing else!

You lucky dog!!!

I just purchased an ATI amp for my surrounds and paid twice that! No balanced connects and now I'm paying for it! I'm putting back in the rack my silver Krell due to balanced inputs. Trying to find ground loops with that ATI amp has me going batty!!!

That Sherbourne amp has balanced inputs......................and you'll be happy you have them! Good find...........
post #1089 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 68
Quote:

When posed this question, the sub manufacturer strongly suggested NOT doing this.

So running a 2+2 ohm subwoofer with a stereo amp is bad? Never heard that but I understand why they tell you not to, gotta cover their butts if something goes wrong.
post #1090 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Well, I broke The Plains Theater - Rule Number One........ again. (Rule number one is just under the layout if you're interested smile.gif )

I bought one of these today

Sherbourn is apparently merging with Emotiva, and they're having a clearance sale. I bought the seven channel, 350W per channel amp for just $999 shipped. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I'm hoping to get a 11.x capable processor, but 7 channels of amplification will still get the basics covered if nothing else!

OMG man that is a sweeeet amp! I love my emo amp and thats the cadillac to my chevy!!!!!!! Sweet man i wish i had the change to pick up one for myself!!!!

Congrats man! Keep up da good work!

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #1091 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The are sold out! I am making a sad face now. I was pumped about ordering one myself. I already have an Emotiva XPA-5 but I could not ignore that price. Just thought I would save everyone else the agony of defeat and let you know beforehand.
post #1092 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM

I suspected they'd sell out soon so I placed my order right away when I heard about it from the Sherbourn sales rep.  I question whether I should have just gotten a second one for good measure.  But even *I* decided that would be overkill.

post #1093 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Sherbourn is apparently merging with Emotiva, and they're having a clearance sale.
This gives me a seriously itchy trigger finger. I don't need 350W, but 150W x 7 for only $600 is pretty outstanding. Four ohm stable and more power than I should ever need, plus balanced inputs and rack ears... make it stop!
post #1094 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Better go quick. I just went back to pick up a couple of the 18 channel amps, and they are all gone too. Had to settle for the 12's. Maybe one more for good measure...

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #1095 of 1755 Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sent their sales department an email earlier today, and the response I got had one little nugget in there that I took to heart,
Quote:
If you are interested I would purchase them as soon as possible because they will not last long at their current prices and we are only expecting one more shipment of Sherbourn products

That second part is interesting, though. Does that mean they will get another shipment of everything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

This gives me a seriously itchy trigger finger. I don't need 350W, but 150W x 7 for only $600 is pretty outstanding. Four ohm stable and more power than I should ever need, plus balanced inputs and rack ears... make it stop!

I didn't think I'd need 350W either, but better safe than sorry, and I might want to see if I can set a driver on fire one day biggrin.gif

post #1096 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on this, it sounds like the shipment will be coming in on the 30th and pre-orders can be placed.

Did you decide anything on your soffit yet?
J_P_A likes this.

-

post #1097 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Based on this, it sounds like the shipment will be coming in on the 30th and pre-orders can be placed.

Did you decide anything on your soffit yet?

That's good info! Thanks for passing it along.

I haven't completely made up my mind, but subject to change at any time, I'm leaning towards leaving it as is. There are a few places where the height difference may be noticeable (like the corners), but I'm not sure it's worth trying to fix. It drives me crazy knowing it's there, but I glued all my ledger boards to the walls, so there's no way to pull it down and try again. My plan is to get my test rope lighting in, and mock up a soffit front that will hide my can and rope lights. Once I decide on trim profiles etc, I'll be able to make a better decision about what will be noticeable. If I decide it will be noticeable, I'll either use some drywall shims as mentioned previously, or add some blocking between each framing member that is at the correct height.

post #1098 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just got off the phone with Sherbourn and they said they expect around 60 units to be shipped to them on the 30th so I grabbed one. They just started a pre order list this morning so if you call quick you are all but assured to have one reserved.

I can't wait to lift that bad boy into the rack!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up JPA!
J_P_A likes this.
post #1099 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I just got off the phone with Sherbourn and they said they expect around 60 units to be shipped to them on the 30th so I grabbed one. They just started a pre order list this morning so if you call quick you are all but assured to have one reserved.

I can't wait to lift that bad boy into the rack!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! Glad you're going get to pick one up (pun intended smile.gif )

post #1100 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It occurred to me this morning that I've managed to find two of the more expensive components for my theater at huge discounts with my A-lens and now this amp. If only I can find similar deals on seating, Quest panels, processor, DSP, and projector, I might actually get this thing finished......... That's not too much to ask is it? rolleyes.gif

post #1101 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

DSP: Here's a pretty decent deal on a Xilica XP-8080

PJ: Have you taken a look at this one?

-

post #1102 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

DSP: Here's a pretty decent deal on a Xilica XP-8080

PJ: Have you taken a look at this one?

I saw that DSP, but this scared me off
Quote:
You will be responsible for all brokerage/duties/taxes that may be incurred.

Not sure what that would end up costing. Not only that, but I'm trying to figure out just what features I need to make all this work.

As far as PJ's, I've had my eye on the Epson 6020 because it's as close to a light cannon as I can afford. I'm hoping Epson will have some major upgrades to announce at CEDIA this year, and the 6020s will go on a heavy sale as a result.

post #1103 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Good call. That looks like a nice projector.

-

post #1104 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh you sekzy, sekzy beast!

Yep, ordered it yesterday, and it showed up today. I met the Fedex guy at the truck to give him a hand. He didn't even say, "hi!" Just, "you know how much this ways? One hundred thirty three pounds!" I don't think it's quite that much, but I was sweating after carrying it up a flight of stair by myself! The box says 112 lbs.

Yeah. It's heavy! I was second guessing myself for pulling out of the boxes for a photo op. Not to mention having to carry it up a flight of stairs!

Aside from being heavy, it seems well built. There's not really much to the case, obviously, and the connectors passed a cursory glance. The little silver button on the front is actually plastic, and could have been a little more substantial. It feels too light and plasticy, and seems a little out of place considering the build quality of the rest of the unit.

Well, back in her boxes for an extended hibernation!

post #1105 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Unreal, next day shipping on a +100 box? Dang that looks good.

Do the rack ears look substantial enough to hold it?

-

post #1106 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They look pretty substantial, but I don't think I'm willing to hang 100 lbs from the front rails of my DIY rack. I'll add some support to the back. I'm pretty confident the rack ears would hold it, but there's no point in testing out that theory for me.

post #1107 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Oh you sekzy, sekzy beast!

Yep, ordered it yesterday, and it showed up today. I met the Fedex guy at the truck to give him a hand. He didn't even say, "hi!" Just, "you know how much this ways? One hundred thirty three pounds!" I don't think it's quite that much, but I was sweating after carrying it up a flight of stair by myself! The box says 112 lbs.

Yeah. It's heavy! I was second guessing myself for pulling out of the boxes for a photo op. Not to mention having to carry it up a flight of stairs!

Aside from being heavy, it seems well built. There's not really much to the case, obviously, and the connectors passed a cursory glance. The little silver button on the front is actually plastic, and could have been a little more substantial. It feels too light and plasticy, and seems a little out of place considering the build quality of the rest of the unit.

Well, back in her boxes for an extended hibernation!

That is just not right.  I ordered before you and will not get mine until tomorrow.  Not that it matters because I'm still at least a week or two from getting it hooked up.

You must be closer to Tennessee than I am.

post #1108 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm only about four hours from the Tennessee line. I'm still surprised it got here so quickly, though. Sounds like you still get the last laugh. I'm monts away from hooking mine up (if I'm optimistic).

post #1109 of 1755 Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 PM

That's not to say I'll be done.  But probably enough to be hooking things up.

post #1110 of 1755 Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 PM

My 2 gigantic packages arrived today.  I don't want to open them up.  Too depressing not to be hooking them up right away.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page