Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #1351 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Epson released details on the their new projector lineup.....pretty lame, actually. Slightly better contrast ratio, but same brightness, features and gizmos for about the same price. No appreciable improvements whatsoever:
http://hometheater.about.com/b/2013/09/25/epson-announces-new-home-theater-projectors-at-cedia-2013.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 270
That's disappointing! Not because I was planning to buy the new model, but I was hoping it would drive tons of other people to buy it so that I could get a used 6020 cheap frown.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1353 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 227
But if you wait until next year (let's hope not) you can get a two-year-old unit that's the same as a one-year-old unit.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1354 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very true, sir.

post #1355 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

That's disappointing! Not because I was planning to buy the new model, but I was hoping it would drive tons of other people to buy it so that I could get a used 6020 cheap frown.gif

Don't worry, I'll still sell you Fred's 6020 for $100, so you're good..... biggrin.gif
J_P_A likes this.
post #1356 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

If only I had a 6020!

I'd be watching movies wearing headphones, sitting on camping chairs, drinking cheap beer. That'd be the good life. smile.gif
J_P_A likes this.
post #1357 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Epson released details on the their new projector lineup.....pretty lame, actually. Slightly better contrast ratio, but same brightness, features and gizmos for about the same price. No appreciable improvements whatsoever:
http://hometheater.about.com/b/2013/09/25/epson-announces-new-home-theater-projectors-at-cedia-2013.htm

I went back and read to the bottom of that article. Looks like they added a few flame throwers to lineup!
Quote:
The three projectors in the high-bright series are the PowerLite Pro Cinema G6900WU (6,000 lumens - white and color), Powerlite Pro Cinema G6550WU (5,200 lumens - white and color), Powerlite Pro Cinema G4855WU (4,500 lumens - white and color). However, the brighter light output does lower contrast ratio and lamp life.

post #1358 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

These are the Pro G Series projectors we were chatting about via PM a while back. They were released in April through June of this year. 16x10 native panel (so you'd have slight overscan), no 3D, no vertical stretch and the horrible contrast numbers you pointed out. I wish they would have just bumped up the brightness another 25% or so on the 6030. THAT would be a great reason to buy new.
post #1359 of 2038 Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

We can pass around a tin cup for your projector fund.................................tongue.gif

I'll bet the farm you'll find something which will light up that behemoth screen of yours! Patience is the greatest virtue!! biggrin.gif
post #1360 of 2038 Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

We can pass around a tin cup for your projector fund.................................tongue.gif

I'll bet the farm you'll find something which will light up that behemoth screen of yours! Patience is the greatest virtue!! biggrin.gif

Alms, alms for the poor! smile.gif

I'm not worried about it. Like you said, I've got plenty of time to find a projector.

For a bit of an update. Mostly bad news. The new Fantech fan came in, so I was anxious to get it installed. My REW measurements were the first sign that things were not going well. I immediately noticed that the noise measurements were drastically different than what I'd been seeing before. I went ahead and measured the Fantech once I had it mounted (not connected), and then went back and measured the Panasonic sitting in the floor. The spectrum of the two fans is quite similar now. Either my current measurements are not accurate, or the previous measurements were completely off. Either way, what I have so far is not of much use until I figure out what happened.

Now, the worst part is the fan is just as noisy as the Panasonic. It's the same low frequency rumbling that heard with the Panasonic, and it may even be a little louder outside the room.

If there's a bright side to all this, I think I've figured out the source. This fan does not seem to be as well balanced as the Panasonic. I can actually feel a vibration in the wall of the dead vent. The next step will likely be to put the Panasonic back in, and isolate it from the framing with a some IB-3 brackets. It might be a while before I do it, though. I'm pretty fed up with the hole ventilation business smile.gif

I also got the holes for my perimeter lights cut, and I've pulled the wire in for them as well. I need to finalize my cable routing and finish that up so I can schedule my electrical rough-in.

post #1361 of 2038 Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

An article on new features integration into RadioRa2, including LED drivers. I thought this information was timely for your lighting considerations:
http://www.cepro.com/article/lutron_enhances_radiora_2_control_system_expands_led_lighting_motorized_sha/K501
post #1362 of 2038 Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

Finally making some progress on the theater.... I mean house

In theater news, we got the scaled drawings back, and the room is long enough that we added a hallway at the front with an access through the bathroom (thanks for the suggestions everyone!).

I realize the rest of this is not theater related, but we're so glad finally be moving dirt that I can't help myself.

We finally have a driveway (of sorts, anyway)

And that Cat is sitting about where the house will be. That thing pushed down a 70' oak tree like it was pushing over a coat rack. I hated to lose any trees, but we were careful to put the house where we would lose mostly sweet gum trees and other trees that were either diseased or damaged. The oak had three trunks, and one was hollow at the base, so it would have been at risk for falling anyway.

Nice area where do you live?

post #1363 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I have a sad update for The Plains Theater. One of our boxers passed away yesterday as a result of a rattle snake bite. The bite happened on Sunday, and Tucker spent the next four days at Auburn's small animal hospital. He received three rounds of antivenin, plasma, and various IV fluids over the course of the four days, and we thought he'd turned the corner and was recovering. We're not sure what happened, but we speculate that the venom caused too much damage to his heart muscle, and it was just more than he could recover from. He's been a part of my family since my wife and I got married. He was with us when both of my kids came home for the first time, and despite our best efforts to keep it from happening, he's suffered pulled ears, feet, and tail at the hands of both of my kids. He's been fallen on by my toddlers, and they've even attempted to ride him from time-to-time until we could rescue him. He always handled these indignities with nothing more than a snort or sneeze and lick to the face. He will be greatly missed.

With regards to the theater, the cost of his treatment was substantial. I don't regret a penny of it, but spending on the theater is largely on hold for now. So I don't expect updates of any consequence anytime soon.

post #1364 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Man thats sad indeed, sorry for your loss....
post #1365 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So sorry for your loss, may he rest in peace.
post #1366 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

That's bad news all around - I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is always tough, but you have to do what you can and sometimes it's just not enough.

I'm sure you'll be finding work to do on the theater before you know it.
post #1367 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
My heart goes out for you; That's very sad news and I am sorry for your loss J_P_A. The loss of a family pet and most notably a dog isn't understood by anyone who doesn't share that experience. Unfortunately I understand what you are going through, and it's never easy.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1368 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
post #1369 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry for you loss. Tucker may be gone, but never forgotten.

post #1370 of 2038 Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Tucker sounds like a damn good dog. I feel for you.

Boxers are the best with kids. I have 2 kids under 4 and they do the same thing to my boxer as your kids did to yours. My wife and I adopted our boxer from rockin p rescue out of Alabama. We live in GA if my screen name didn't give it away. Angie, who runs the rescue, is wonderful. I know it's too early, but if you're thinking about expanding your family again take a look at rockin p.

post #1371 of 2038 Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. AVS is a truly great community!
Mfusick likes this.

post #1372 of 2038 Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Very sorry to hear that. For many of us our dogs are part of the family. As a fellow dog lover my heart goes out to you and your family. It sounds like you did everything you could and I hope that is something you can feel good about during this tough time.
post #1373 of 2038 Old 10-06-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Sorry to hear the bad news..................................trying to save your family member was money well spent IMHO!

Some people have a hard time understanding losing a pet can be just like loosing a family member....................my wife being one of those.

Two years ago, we had a 16 year old Siamese cat who was like a child to me................when he became ill, the vet bills were getting out of hand! My wife just wanted to put him under which I refused.......................I was fortunate to enjoy him for a year after his initial diagnosis yet still to this day my wife keeps jabbing me on those vet expenses. With my wife growing up on a ranch........................in her opinion, animals come and go like the wind. rolleyes.gif

Once again, sorry to hear about your misfortunes........................................
post #1374 of 2038 Old 10-07-2013, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Condolences on your loss of a great pet.
Totally understand trying everything you can to save them.
When "Jedi", my 11 year old black lab suddenly went ill 2 years ago, the local vet did what they could. Being 1 hour from MSU Lansing Michigan we took him there, as they have premier Vet school.
He deserved the best, money comes and goes, we can't take it with us so best used on all our loved ones.
We've since gotten 2 new dogs, both from local shelter.
Peace.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #1375 of 2038 Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Sorry for your loss JPA, you did right by your family member and I am sure you brought him much love and happiness as he did to you.

Avengers Assemble
post #1376 of 2038 Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
So sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a great friend and family member.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #1377 of 2038 Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again, everyone! I truly appreciate the thoughts and prayers for my family. I originally planned to say a lot more, but I think I'll be brief instead.

I've been amazed by the response from the people on this forum, not just in my thread, but also through PMs. On a personal level it's been very helpful for me to know that I'm not the only man to get attached to his dog. I really can't overstate how much accepting that has helped me deal with this.

The kindness shown by this community has not been limited to me. One member sent my kids a book to help them understand the loss of our dog. An amazing act of kindness from someone I've never met in person.

AVS is an amazing community, and I'm grateful to be a part of it.

post #1378 of 2038 Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it's time for an update. First, a picture of a new piece of HT equipment.

That's right! That's a Cineslide for my A-lens. I've been watching eBay for months looking for an automated slide to simplify my hush box. It's pretty rare to see a used one on eBay at a reasonable price, so I gave Scott (GetGray here on the forum) a call on a whim just to see what a Cineslide would cost. Well, the man is awesome! I made it clear that I'm piecing my theater together with equipment from the bargain bins, and he still spent an hour on the phone with me talking about all sorts of HT related topics. Everything from slides, to projectors, to fabric, and acoustic treatments. As far as the slide goes, It turns out he had a C-stock slide laying around that he's used for testing. According to Scott it was the "ugly" one in the shop, and he agreed to part with it. I'm fine with ugly since it'll be in the hushbox, anyway, although I have to admit it looks perfect to me smile.gif

The bad news for you guys is it was the only C-stock slide he had. I got lucky, and I'm glad I called. He said he does occasionally get B-stock slides with some minor cosmetic issues if you're interested.

If you have some HT purchases on the horizon, I'd highly recommend you give Scott a call. He has a lot more stuff than just A-lens slides, and he has great customer support!

In other news, no pictures but I have done a little more prewiring in the theater. Most of the high voltage electrical rough-in is done. I just need to finalize the step light locations. I also need to pull all the speaker wire since it will be routed in my riser. Then I'll be ready for my inspection. I've also ordered all my dimmers for the theater, and they should get here this week. Unfortunately, I have very little time to spend on the theater, and it seems like every weekend between now and Christmas is already packed!

post #1379 of 2038 Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2252
Quote:

That's right! That's a Cineslide for my A-lens. I've been watching eBay for months looking for an automated slide to simplify my hush box. It's pretty rare to see a used one on eBay at a reasonable price, so I gave Scott (GetGray here on the forum) a call on a whim just to see what a Cineslide would cost. Well, the man is awesome! I made it clear that I'm piecing my theater together with equipment from the bargain bins, and he still spent an hour on the phone with me talking about all sorts of HT related topics. Everything from slides, to projectors, to fabric, and acoustic treatments. 

Good to see you back updating the thread after your recent sad news.

I second your remarks about Scott (GetGray) - one of the nicest guys on AVS.

I look forward to continuing lurking here and following your continued development of your fabulous HT!

post #1380 of 2038 Old 10-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I am glad to see you making some progress on the HT. I am with you on how hard it is to find the time but slow and steady wins the race. I have had the same experience with Scott, awesome to work with.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page