Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #1741 of 2001 Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
So far it's just been a review. I've asked for a quote to modify my existing plan and provide an ATMOS layout.
Mfusick likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2001 Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
You are correct, I did use DE.

I Unfortunately, the more I learned, the more questions I had. I do wish I'd just contacted Nyal at the beginning, although I didn't actually know he did layouts at the time.
You and I both!

I'll see how things pan out for you............seems customer service ranks high with Nyals.......that would be refreshing.

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1743 of 2001 Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So far it's just been a review. I've asked for a quote to modify my existing plan and provide an ATMOS layout.
Fill me in with pm when results are in........I'm looking at Atmos only........not tearing out room again btw!

My Build Threads

post #1744 of 2001 Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
.........seems customer service ranks high with Nyals.......
That has certainly been my experience so far. I'm really looking forward to working with him.

post #1745 of 2001 Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A question for all you MDF assembling pros out there. For my column construction, can I use regular wood glue (Titebond II) and finishing nails to hold my columns together until the glue dries, or do I need to use PL and clamps? I'm using 3/4" MDF and I'm planning to use lap joints.

post #1746 of 2001 Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
A question for all you MDF assembling pros out there. For my column construction, can I use regular wood glue (Titebond II) and finishing nails to hold my columns together until the glue dries, or do I need to use PL and clamps? I'm using 3/4" MDF and I'm planning to use lap joints.
Yes, use Titebond II and finishing nails. A few well-placed clamps will also help if you have 'em.

post #1747 of 2001 Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 822
What Tim said. +1.

Either will work. Tightbond II is good choice, but it's got a shorter working time. PL is great, probably overkill but it's got a nice long working time and it's thick enough to stay put where you want it. Once either dries it's all good. Whichever you like better. Tightbond can get cleaned with water so that's a big advantage IMO.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1748 of 2001 Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great! I may need to add a few more clamps to my tool kit. I've only got a couple.

As always, I appreciate the advice!

post #1749 of 2001 Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Great! I may need to add a few more clamps to my tool kit. I've only got a couple.

As always, I appreciate the advice!
Harbor Fright.....cough......Freight has great clamps for $7-8. Don't get the $3-4 version.......no holding power!

Another note, I wished I would have used Titebond III. Longer dry time but dries clear......just a heads up.

My Build Threads

post #1750 of 2001 Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good tips! I'll grab another bottle of glue. Unfortunately, we don't have a harbor freight nearby or I'd buy a 5 or 6 of them.

post #1751 of 2001 Old 07-30-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Haha!

Quote:
Harbor Fright.....cough......Freight has great clamps for $7-8. Don't get the $3-4 version.......no holding power!

Another note, I wished I would have used Titebond III. Longer dry time but dries clear......just a heads up.
So true !

The grip squeeze style clamps are akin to the lumber at HomeDepot, everything left available is picked through and 80% of the inventory is not good! One out of 5 might have enough holding power to defy gravity for a few minutes but none will be acceptable. The screw kind of clamps that have the sliders that bite into grooved metal are WAY better and worth the $2 more. I learned the hard way.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1752 of 2001 Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Good tips! I'll grab another bottle of glue. Unfortunately, we don't have a harbor freight nearby or I'd buy a 5 or 6 of them.
I have about 30 you can borrow if you need them. Just let me know.
Mfusick likes this.

War Eagle!
post #1753 of 2001 Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
I have about 30 you can borrow if you need them. Just let me know.

Thanks! We'll see hoe it goes and I'll let you know if I need to borrow them.

How goes your build? Both the house and the theater?

post #1754 of 2001 Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

10 clamps shipped is only $50 ($6 shipping)

What is your zip code ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...amp-96213.html

I just threw in 10 of the 24" clamps but you could get bigger or smaller or a few of each whatever you needed. I was just wondering about shipping. Seems like a good deal.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	157
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	189930  

-

post #1755 of 2001 Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks! We'll see hoe it goes and I'll let you know if I need to borrow them.

How goes your build? Both the house and the theater?
We moved into the house last weekend. Things are crazy right now trying to get unpacked and little things here and there that have to be done. I was hoping to get started on the theater in the next month or so but there is still so much to do and things to buy for the house. We are glad to be in though.

War Eagle!
post #1756 of 2001 Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
10 clamps shipped is only $50 ($6 shipping)
…...
Those do seem like a good deal! I'll probably need to pick up a few since I'm getting close to starting speaker builds. I hear no matter how many clamps you have, you always end up one short when building speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
We moved into the house last weekend. Things are crazy right now trying to get unpacked and little things here and there that have to be done. I was hoping to get started on the theater in the next month or so but there is still so much to do and things to buy for the house. We are glad to be in though.
Congrats on moving in! Now the work starts Don't worry about that unpacking business, though. We've been in our house for two years now and still haven't finished unpacking. There's no rush

post #1757 of 2001 Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had some time last week to work on the theater. I have a lot of updates but I'll spread them out a bet to keep from having one massive post. I'd hate to break the internets with my theater update.

When we last left off, I'd put the first layer of decking on my riser. The first thing I did was put down the next layer of decking. I took everyone's advice and used PL Premium between the layers. Riser seems rock solid now! Not that you can tell much difference, but here's the riser after the second layer of decking.

Next up was putting the second layer on the stage. This one got some Green Glue. I remember when Green Glue was new and wondrous…. Not so much, now

For the stage, I put full sheets and then cut off the extra. I did a pretty good job just free handing with the jigsaw. I ran a flush cut bit down the front afterwards.

And here's a little teaser to what came next.

post #1758 of 2001 Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had some time last week to work on the theater. I have a lot of updates but I'll spread them out a bet to keep from having one massive post. I'd hate to break the internets with my theater update.

When we last left off, I'd put the first layer of decking on my riser. The first thing I did was put down the next layer of decking. I took everyone's advice and used PL Premium between the layers. Riser seems rock solid now! Not that you can tell much difference, but here's the riser after the second layer of decking.

Next up was putting the second layer on the stage. This one got some Green Glue. I remember when Green Glue was new and wondrous…. Not so much, now

For the stage, I put full sheets and then cut off the extra. I did a pretty good job just free handing with the jigsaw. I ran a flush cut bit down the front afterwards.

And here's a little teaser to what came next.

You'll be glad you use plywood rather than OSB in riser and stage. Green Glue.......awe, the memories.......

Looking great.......you need more bonding with room!
J_P_A likes this.

My Build Threads

post #1759 of 2001 Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking great.......you need more bonding with room!
Well, there was plenty more bonding last week. I'll try to get the rest of the photos up tomorrow nobody around here will believe a thing I say without photos!

post #1760 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Moar cutting!
post #1761 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Those do seem like a good deal! I'll probably need to pick up a few since I'm getting close to starting speaker builds. I hear no matter how many clamps you have, you always end up one short when building .
This is true !

I did 3 subs and 4 speakers at same time and bought 10 clamps. If I wanted do it all in one day I would have needed 20 more.

But, the best way to minimize clamps is do it in stages and the next day. I did half one day and second half next day when glue had dried. Also you can use gravity as a clamp. I was stacking piles high MDF , old car batteries, heavy deep socket tool sets, cans of paint etc... Whatever I had around. Metal or liquid works best.

If you can glue up a few sides each night or one speaker at a time you can knock them out over a week time.

The other (better) alternative is scrap the 1/2" kids MDF and move up to 3/4" grown up stuff Aside from 3/4" working better because it's thicker, stronger, more mass etc... It let's you build like a man and not a child. Throw the wood glue and clamps in the trash (joking) and grab the caulk gun with construction adhesive and your 18 gauge brad nailer. Use the brads at permanent clamps. Line up one edge at top and shoot... BOOM!... Line up bottom and shoot ...BOOM!... Hit the middle once or twice ...BOOM... BOOM!..... Done

For half inch and small speakers you can play around with clamps and glue but for big speakers and subwoofers build them like a man, it's much easier.
post #1762 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm loving the pictures and progress !

You can't have too much pictures.
You can't have too much progress!

Can't wait to see the columns!
post #1763 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

What's the present cost on a sheet of MDF?

Reason I'm asking, I have connections to various species of wood products and sometimes deals pop up you can't refuse not to take notice. Always run into someone trying to unload product, blems etc. If your interested in a certain wood species from Pacific Northwest, quite possible I can find huge savings!

For example, all the Knotty Alder in our house was worth $20,000 on open market but found a mill/warehouse shutting down and pickup up and stored trim wood and paid $5,000 for the lot! Sure, pain in butt to store for 6-8 months, but came out like a bandit.

Heck, our Australian Cypress cost me a fraction of retail, like 20%! Once again stock wasn't moving and were discontinuing selling wood imports so I bought all their stock on hand........1600 sf.

Now I'm not a wood products retailer, I just help organize, harvest, sell our families raw saw logs to mills.......but have acquired lots of contacts, friends in business and usually have first hand knowledge of killer deals. Just saying..........and can keep an eye open.

My Build Threads

post #1764 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
……..
3/4" MDF was around $30/sheet. I would love to use something like Oak, but it's about $50/sheet here. I was seriously considering going the Oak route despite the cost until I decided on painted trim. Once I decided on black trim, it didn't really make sense to use a hardwood anymore. There would have been a lot of extra finish and trim work just to paint over it.

That said, I'm always working on some project here or there. Once this theater is done I've got a few things to build for my wife, and I'm considering a coffered ceiling in our bedroom. Obviously redwoods and cedars for the outdoor projects. I like oak and cherry, the usual suspects, for indoor stuff. I don't know much about alder, but our house has a bit more modern look so I don't think a knotty wood would fit with the aesthetics of the house, though I do like the look of the wood. The grain in your woodwork looks really nice!

How would shipping to the Southeast work?

post #1765 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mfusik, good tips on speaker assembly. I'm trying to work up the nerve to pull the trigger on the surrounds. I'd really like for the Fusion 15 to be available and just do it all at once. I have this nagging concern that Erich is going to get tired of dealing with all the hassle and the DIYSoundgroup is going to close up shop before I get to order the mains. I know that's pretty selfish of me, but there it is

Once I get the speakers I'll start a build thread. I'll need to get measurements of them both on-axis and off, and I'll post those so others can benefit from it. I'll be interested to hear Nyal's impressions of the measurements.

post #1766 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Moar cutting!
Patience, my friend! There was certainly more cutting, and I have a pictures to prove it
Mfusick likes this.

post #1767 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Reason I'm asking, I have connections to various species of wood products and sometimes deals pop up you can't refuse not to take notice. Always run into someone trying to unload product, blems etc. If your interested in a certain wood species from Pacific Northwest, quite possible I can find huge savings!

For example, all the Knotty Alder in our house was worth $20,000 on open market but found a mill/warehouse shutting down and pickup up and stored trim wood and paid $5,000 for the lot! Sure, pain in butt to store for 6-8 months, but came out like a bandit.

Heck, our Australian Cypress cost me a fraction of retail, like 20%! Once again stock wasn't moving and were discontinuing selling wood imports so I bought all their stock on hand........1600 sf.

Now I'm not a wood products retailer, I just help organize, harvest, sell our families raw saw logs to mills.......but have acquired lots of contacts, friends in business and usually have first hand knowledge of killer deals. Just saying..........and can keep an eye open.
35$ a sheet at my local HD. I just bought 10 sheets yesterday and chopped them all up. The dust is brutal! Even outside or with garage door open. Wife wants a temporary closet in basement for laundry and stuff. I should have just used ply... my thinking was MDF glues and paints nicer. But the stuff is heavy and makes a mess.

I'm going to count on you and your advice when my project and remodel gets rolling! I'll need some help with my wood... lol (jokes right themselves right)

-

post #1768 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
3/4" MDF was around $30/sheet. I would love to use something like Oak, but it's about $50/sheet here. I was seriously considering going the Oak route despite the cost until I decided on painted trim. Once I decided on black trim, it didn't really make sense to use a hardwood anymore. There would have been a lot of extra finish and trim work just to paint over it.

That said, I'm always working on some project here or there. Once this theater is done I've got a few things to build for my wife, and I'm considering a coffered ceiling in our bedroom. Obviously redwoods and cedars for the outdoor projects. I like oak and cherry, the usual suspects, for indoor stuff. I don't know much about alder, but our house has a bit more modern look so I don't think a knotty wood would fit with the aesthetics of the house, though I do like the look of the wood. The grain in your woodwork looks really nice!

How would shipping to the Southeast work?
I tend to like rustic wood............Knotty Alder isn't for everyone.

Clear Alder can look like Cherry......hemlock, Douglas Fir, White Oak, Popular, Maple......sometimes Redwood, but most Redwood comes from Humboult County, California are readily available. Shipping on pallet most likely..........we do most of our shipping via log truck.

My Build Threads

post #1769 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
35$ a sheet at my local HD. I just bought 10 sheets yesterday and chopped them all up. The dust is brutal! Even outside or with garage door open. Wife wants a temporary closet in basement for laundry and stuff. I should have just used ply... my thinking was MDF glues and paints nicer. But the stuff is heavy and makes a mess.
……...
I know I sound like a broken record, but that track saw is awesome! I hooked up my shopvac to that thing and there was barely any dust left after each cut. I forgot to turn on the vac once or twice and it made a HUGE mess. So yeah, I'm loving that track saw!

post #1770 of 2001 Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tend to like rustic wood............Knotty Alder isn't for everyone.

Clear Alder can look like Cherry......hemlock, Douglas Fir, White Oak, Popular, Maple......sometimes Redwood, but most Redwood comes from Humboult County, California are readily available. Shipping on pallet most likely..........we do most of our shipping via log truck.
How big of an order would it take to make something like this worth while? Finding stain grade wood around here is tough if you're not willing to pay an arm and a leg. I had to buy some cherry for a rocking horse I built my son, and I had a devil of a time finding any. I finally found one of the local cabinet shops willing to sell me what I needed. Rocking horse looks awesome, BTW

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page