This seems like a good time to post up some more progress shots as the track saw came in pretty handy as you will see.
before I put the decking down on the stage I proceeded to rip my MDF into 28" sheets for wainscoting, 15-1/4" widths for the column sides, 17-1/2" widths for the column fronts, and I took some of the scraps and cut them down to 16" wide for use in the column backs. I did this in the middle of laying decking because my dad was there to help move the MDF. I ended up having to handle the last few sheets myself, and it made me even more grateful that I had my dad to help part of the time. Again, track saw was a huge help here. I can't imagine trying to wrestle a full sheet of 3/4" MDF onto my table saw, especially without help.
Back to my teaser shot from before, this is where I started laying out the columns for assembly. The short pieces are for the back. This serves to keep the column square and gives me a point to mount to the wall. I decided at 16" deep, I could afford to lose 3/4" for a good mounting point. The two long pieces are the sides.
Here it is during assembly with the sides attached to the back. I even put in some blocking to help strengthen things up. Not sure it was necessary, but it only took a second.
Here I've put the front on the column, so I essentially have a long box.
Next I needed to cut the openings for the speakers. I'm using the Savoy as a guide for all this, BTW. I decided I wanted the opening as large as possible, so I laid out where I wanted the trim to go framing each opening. I moved in 1/4", and used that for my opening. I'm planning to build fabric frames to go in the opening, and attach my trim to the front with 1/4" overhang that will hide the cut opening in the column.
With my openings laid out on the column front, here comes the track saw again. Because it's a plunge cut saw, I could use it to cut out each opening.
I used the short track to make the horizontal cuts.
And here's what I was left with.
The plan was to come back and clean up the corners with the jigsaw, but I needed to keep the panels from falling and tearing out the corners on the last one. I wish I could say I planned this, but it I just so happened to have the perfect thing to catch each panel
And this is what we ended up with.
With the next update we're going to talk about column placement, though you can see a hint of what's to come in the background.