Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #1891 of 2001 Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I thought about a corner molding, but I'm not sure that would help much. I might be able to do an octagonal box as well, but I don't know if that would improve things much either.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2001 Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Would the light mount to the surface of that box, or would the box surround the light?

In either case, perhaps something like a little brick molding on the downward face of the box would give it a little character.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1893 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The light has a bezel that will sit flush with the box. The junction box and the ugly bits of the light will be inside the box. So the light will only be 1/4" or so outside the box (if that makes sense).

Here's a couple pictures of the light to help make sense of all that

post #1894 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Why not build up top plate of box using 1/2" layers........three should suffice.......router each layer edge to profile you want. Think Tower of Hanoi puzzle........simple, inexpensive and gets light away from coffer.

My Build Threads

post #1895 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's a good idea! I'll have to think about that a bit. Maybe do a mockup to see what it would look like. I've got plenty of scraps laying around.

Thanks for the idea! let me know if you have another one!
Mfusick likes this.

post #1896 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a little something for mfusik. EDIT: Hmmm… Now I have to get the link to work again EDIT: Got it

I suppose there are two things of note about the video. First is I'm using the foam to cut on. The video explains it all there The next is notice my left hand. After some trial and error, I realized the MDF was slick enough that the track wanted to slide. So I started using my free hand to put a finger or two on the track to keep that from happening.

This cut was at a bit of an awkward angle, so not my best performance. I'll blame it on performance anxiety
Mfusick and doublewing11 like this.

post #1897 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
You may want to take a look at some Rosette moldings. They make them big enough and all you'd have to do is find a style you like and then simply drill out the hole for your light and have a nice, decorative piece. It could be cheaper routing your own, depending if you had the bit or not. If not, buying the Rosettes would be cheaper.

Last edited by TMcG; 08-14-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #1898 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Here's a little something for mfusik. EDIT: Hmmm… Now I have to get the link to work again EDIT: Got it

http://youtu.be/xvUzjfx7Mmo

I suppose there are two things of note about the video. First is I'm using the foam to cut on. The video explains it all there The next is notice my left hand. After some trial and error, I realized the MDF was slick enough that the track wanted to slide. So I started using my free hand to put a finger or two on the track to keep that from happening.

This cut was at a bit of an awkward angle, so not my best performance. I'll blame it on performance anxiety
You actually wear the respirator huh? lol. I always find it harder to breathe with it on. Thus I use the cheap old pain mask things, or just take my chances.

You can fabricate an air cleaner system/dust collection system with a few box fans and a hepa filter/microparticle filtersheet for a furnace and some bungee cords or duct tape that will keep the air clean and remove the MDF dust.

Something like: (I didn't really search but microparticle filters are easy to find)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Filtret...ilter/10719986

24"x24" seems to fit right on for me.

Or you can do like I do and blow the fan into another room or out the window... lol.

That saw looks really sweat! I really need to buy one. I do so much projects I need it. I really do. Plus if LilMike and I do this "neighborhood wrecker" it probably will pay for itself just on that one project. I'm strong with the table saw, but less with the circular saw. A track saw makes my circular saw obsolete. Miter saw + Track Saw + Table saw. That's the combo!
I wish everything didn't cost money. I think I'll try an talk my dad into buying one. Then I can borrow it... lulz.

BTW- I am using that foam board trick. That's just too slick. All my saw horses have slices through them, I usually just use the saw horses and accept the fact the top gets sliced. Every once in a while I'll brad nail down a fresh layer of pine or something and start fresh. (or just build more horses). I used to buy those metal horse brackets to quick assemble saw horses with just 2x4 but those are pure crap. PURE CRAP. They never work good for me. I get ten time better results just guessing the angle and using the table saw to cut the angle into the wood and just screw them together. Takes like 2 minutes. I always wanted a nice light weight set or pro grade horses but I always knew I'd cut them or trash them, but perhaps your foam board trick is the ticket I need.

You ever see those stack able horses Cowger made in his thread? Those look fun too.

MDF is slick enough to make the track slide, can you clamp it down ? Either way that's way easier than ripping a sheet through the table saw, or hacking it with a hand saw. Even with the laser guide it's never as good. I've got my eyes on craigs list for a panel saw, but perhaps I'l consider the track saw instead.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1899 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
You may want to take a loot at some Rosette moldings. They make them big enough and all you'd have to do is find the simply drill out the hole for your light and have a nice, decorative piece. It could be cheaper routing your own, depending if you had the bit or not. If not, buying the Rosettes would be cheaper.
This is a good idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-x-3-1-4-...item19f216bfe3

If you can make it fit, it would look decent. They are cheap and already pre cut.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1900 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
That eBay link is to a 3 1/4" one....JPA will need larger. I've seen up to 8" for indoors and even larger for outdoor ones, which are usually molded PVC and paintable. Look at Fypon.

post #1901 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
That eBay link is to a 3 1/4" one....JPA will need larger. I've seen up to 8" for indoors and even larger for outdoor ones, which are usually molded PVC and paintable. Look at Fypon.
Yeah.. can't say I paid that much attention. lol. Thanks. It was just for idea/example I figured he'd tweak the size and style to his needs.

Quote:
The light has a bezel that will sit flush with the box. The junction box and the ugly bits of the light will be inside the box. So the light will only be 1/4" or so outside the box (if that makes sense).

How big is the circle you need to cut for the back of the puck light to fit in ? If it's possible to use a drill press or drill with standard hole saw.. then it should be an easy task to either buy Rosette moulding blocks and drill them out, or even make your own.

-

post #1902 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You actually wear the respirator huh? lol. I always find it harder to breathe with it on. Thus I use the cheap old pain mask things, or just take my chances.

You can fabricate an air cleaner system/dust collection system with a few box fans and a hepa filter/microparticle filtersheet for a furnace and some bungee cords or duct tape that will keep the air clean and remove the MDF dust.

Something like: (I didn't really search but microparticle filters are easy to find)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Filtret...ilter/10719986

24"x24" seems to fit right on for me.

Or you can do like I do and blow the fan into another room or out the window... lol.
…..
There is surprisingly little dust. I have the saw connected to my vacuum, and it collects probably 95% (or more) of the dust. If you notice in the video there is a little puff of dust that escapes when the saw cuts through the end of the board. That's really about it.

But yeah, I wear the respirator. Over the course of 20 years of working on various dusty things my allergies are gradually becoming more sensitive to wood dust. I think Norm Abrams said if you need to wear a mask even if you don't have allergies, because if you don't wear the mask, you WILL have allergies.

post #1903 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rosettes are a great idea as well. I don't think I'd have to be particularly accurate in cutting out the hole either, since the light bezel will cover the opening. I don't know right off hand how large the back of the light is, but it'd be a pretty large hole for a hole saw to cut. Just guessing I'd say 3"-4".

post #1904 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
There is surprisingly little dust. I have the saw connected to my vacuum, and it collects probably 95% (or more) of the dust. If you notice in the video there is a little puff of dust that escapes when the saw cuts through the end of the board. That's really about it.

But yeah, I wear the respirator. Over the course of 20 years of working on various dusty things my allergies are gradually becoming more sensitive to wood dust. I think Norm Abrams said if you need to wear a mask even if you don't have allergies, because if you don't wear the mask, you WILL have allergies.
lol. I guess I am lucky. I've cut plenty of MDF in closed spaces and gotten soar throat countless times. I try to be mindful, like this last project I went out to the drive way and open air. But in the winter it's tough, I live in NE. It's cold and snows like 3 feet sometimes.

-

post #1905 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Rosettes are a great idea as well. I don't think I'd have to be particularly accurate in cutting out the hole either, since the light bezel will cover the opening. I don't know right off hand how large the back of the light is, but it'd be a pretty large hole for a hole saw to cut. Just guessing I'd say 3"-4".
Yes. I think you are correct! That is a huge covering with those lights so even if you are off or over sized on the hole it's not going to show. You are golden on that. Proceed.

-

post #1906 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How small a circle can one of those router circle templates cut?

post #1907 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How small a circle can one of those router circle templates cut?
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-circl...FUoS7AodrngA1Q

You mean like these?
( I make this myself)
They are bigger usually. 6" +

You can use something like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/jasper-...l-200--365-250

Those go down to tweeter sized holes so should work fine.

But that all seems WAY HARDER than using a hole saw with the block clamped and using a drill press. If you don't have a drill press you can probably just clamp and use a drill too.

I'm a hole saw whore... so I'd do that for a few inch holes. You can buy a hole saw for a drill cheaper than a jig, and it would be easier to cut a perfect small hole using that versus a router and jig IMO.

otherwise use a zip tool.

I have this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-...P530/100007658

Works super awesome provided the material being cut is soft, like that foam stuff instread of wood. Or even a softer pine. I used this to cut all the holes in my light cans in my basement out of the drop ceiling tiles and it was easy and worked great!

But I also tried using it on 3/4" MDF and not so good. It eats blades fast, so a router or a drill is better with MDF.

-

post #1908 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Great idea with foam and track saw......

So methodical and precise! Boy, you must have German ancestry!!!

My Build Threads

post #1909 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
There are Track Saw clamps available. They work great when you need perfect. Occasionally, I just reach
for spring clamp, and catch an edge

I sold my radial arm saw after the first week of owning the Track Saw. It sure sees a lot of use. Fantastic tool!
Today I used it to cut drywall. Needed three 4' strips of 5/8" drywall at 1 3/8" wide. I cut on some plywood, and
got perfect cuts. Lots of dust, not something I'd try inside.
post #1910 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Drywall must smoke your blade fast. You had a specialized blade ?

-

post #1911 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't seem to dull it, but there's only a couple of cuts on it since I did that, today.
And it was only 12 linear feet I needed. Cutting drywall that small, isn't all that
safe.
post #1912 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cutting drywall with a regular sawblade will destroy it quite fast! I bet that was quite messy.

John
post #1913 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
……..
But that all seems WAY HARDER than using a hole saw with the block clamped and using a drill press. If you don't have a drill press you can probably just clamp and use a drill too.
…...
I was actually thinking of using one of those templates for making a rosette. It occurred to me that I've got a few bits that might make a neat profile if I used the plunge base on my router and routed a circle just over the diameter of the light bezel. Thanks for the info on the circle cutters! Just what I needed.

And yes, they do make clamps for the tracks. I used one when cutting the holes in the column fronts. Here's a pic from a few pages back. You can see the clamp at the bottom. Spring clamps are a good idea as well since they don't take up as much space below the material.

The only problem with the clamps is you need room under the piece you're cutting for the end of it. So then you have to work off a set or horses. Working alone with heavier sheet material, it's just easier to work off the floor. Fortunately, God saw fit to bless me with an extra hand that's just perfect for this sort of thing

post #1914 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Great idea with foam and track saw......

So methodical and precise! Boy, you must have German ancestry!!!
I am USDA Grade A, pureblooded, American mongrel! Yep, my family tree has roots just about everywhere . Seriously, though, I think there is some German in there. Can't remember for sure. Oddly enough, my wife doesn't call it methodical or precise, she calls it an obsessive compulsive disorder.

I like methodical much better!

post #1915 of 2001 Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

What brand/ model are these lights?

Thanks!

Kevin

post #1916 of 2001 Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
Cutting drywall with a regular sawblade will destroy it quite fast! I bet that was quite messy.

I made sure I was on the left hand side, and the chute was angled to fire down and away from me. It was messy but not as bad as
I thought it would be. As for the blade, my saw sees a lot of use, and I am surprised the blade has held up this long. I also had
an emergency room trip years ago, cutting some small strips, managed to take the side of my thumb off. So when I factored those
two things, it seemed worthy of a trial run.

I bought six metal folding saw horses on sale at $10 each. Much easier on the back, and I am free to clamp as needed. The saw horses fold up nice
and small, and hang on the slat wall in the garage. As does the 4' and 8' tracks. I have no dedicated shop space to speak of, and this works great with
just a single car garage.
post #1917 of 2001 Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
After some trial and error, I realized the MDF was slick enough that the track wanted to slide. So I started using my free hand to put a finger or two on the track to keep that from happening.
I wipe the back of the track and the MDF sheet with a "damp" cloth... no slip, sliding away Gus...

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #1918 of 2001 Old 08-15-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ Good idea!

post #1919 of 2001 Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post
I ........ no slip, sliding away Gus...

Wow.....GENIUS!!!

Must be a Paul Simon fan......two different song lyrics in one sentence!

My Build Threads

post #1920 of 2001 Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
What brand/ model are these lights?
Here's a link to the lights. I got them from Home Depot. So far they are working well. They are pretty bright and the color temp is a close match to my perimeter soffit lights. My only complaint is they buzz a little on the dimmer, and like all LEDs they dim to around 10% and then cut off. Fortunately, the plan has always been to use these for lighting during entering the room, and I'll dim them to off first. So the buzzing won't be an issue, and dimming all the jump to off won't be as noticeable.

The great thing about these lights is they are about as shallow as you are going to find for this much light output. They can also be installed just about anywhere. My inspector had zero concerns with them being mounted in a completely enclosed coffer with the junction box being mounted directly to the drywall. It would be hard to find a lower profile lighting solution.
Mfusick likes this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page