post #2011 of 2021 Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
BTW I bought a track saw finally...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2021 Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Columns certainly have their merits, but for me the major reason for having them was just a place to put speakers and cables. I like them, don't get me wrong, but it's not a make or break sort of thing for me. I don't recall having been in a commercial theater with columns, so I don't really associate columns directly with home theaters.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2013 of 2021 Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I don't see the difference in ripping them out now, or on revision 2.0 remodel when (and IF) you ever decide you need to move speaker locations.

It seems kind of silly to pay for a pro layout, have it re-worked with Nyal (paying again) and then worry about moving speaker locations. Realistically why would you need to move speaker locations? And now much difference would that ever make compared to the professional design layout you have now ? I don't see the point.

The effort to remove the columns and do new fabric frames in the future would be as much effort as it is now to tear them out.

I'd just live with what you got. It seems rather silly to change things now. Your speaker placement seems perfectly fine, I am having a hard time imagining what you would change and why.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2014 of 2021 Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I guess I don't see the difference in ripping them out now, or on revision 2.0 remodel when (and IF) you ever decide you need to move speaker locations.

It seems kind of silly to pay for a pro layout, have it re-worked with Nyal (paying again) and then worry about moving speaker locations. Realistically why would you need to move speaker locations? And now much difference would that ever make compared to the professional design layout you have now ? I don't see the point.

The effort to remove the columns and do new fabric frames in the future would be as much effort as it is now to tear them out.

I'd just live with what you got. It seems rather silly to change things now. Your speaker placement seems perfectly fine, I am having a hard time imagining what you would change and why.
+1

JPA Might as well install a water closet too...........entertaining watching money flushed down drain.

I've heard it before in my own room.......have to lower surround speakers to separate overheads and side surrounds for Atmos. What the heck?

Five feet or more in height separation is plenty.........at least that is what my little Dolby birdie suggests.
post #2015 of 2021 Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fairly new the forums here but saw your thread and ran through the entire thing tonight. Wow its been 3 years and 5 months since your first post on this project. I dont think I could wait that long if I was building but I does seem like a really fun project that you have here. I look forward to seeing it completed.
post #2016 of 2021 Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboller86 View Post
I look forward to seeing it completed.
Don't we all...
post #2017 of 2021 Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Don't we all...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TMCG+FRED+J_P_A+Aliens

-

post #2018 of 2021 Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice! I see a consensus developing here. Just to clarify, using fabric panel walls would make it so I can change everything whenever I like without doing a major remodel. Just pull down the panels, move the speakers/treatments, and put the panels back up. I still think it would be easier to do now because of the amount of finishing still left to do, and a remodel after the carpet, furniture, electronics, final paint and trim are in will be more difficult if for no other reason than the mess.

There is enough disagreement regarding speaker locations that I wouldn't be surprised if the standards change over time.

Wow, three years. That's hard to get my head around. I guess it doesn't feel that bad to me because I started planning this along the time Sandman was really getting going. So this has been a near ten year project for me.
Mfusick likes this.

post #2019 of 2021 Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
BTW I bought a track saw finally...
Missed this post! You will never regret this purchase, sir!

post #2020 of 2021 Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Nice! I see a consensus developing here. Just to clarify, using fabric panel walls would make it so I can change everything whenever I like without doing a major remodel. Just pull down the panels, move the speakers/treatments, and put the panels back up. I still think it would be easier to do now because of the amount of finishing still left to do, and a remodel after the carpet, furniture, electronics, final paint and trim are in will be more difficult if for no other reason than the mess.

There is enough disagreement regarding speaker locations that I wouldn't be surprised if the standards change over time.

Wow, three years. That's hard to get my head around. I guess it doesn't feel that bad to me because I started planning this along the time Sandman was really getting going. So this has been a near ten year project for me.
The takeaway here is moar cutting, less worrying and changing stuff. Just do it.

-

post #2021 of 2021 Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Missed this post! You will never regret this purchase, sir!
Anyone use the Festool TS55 REQ Track Saw?

This was the one that finally got me. I have a feeling it will be my favorite tool.

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page