post #2011 of 2038 Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
BTW I bought a track saw finally...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2038 Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Columns certainly have their merits, but for me the major reason for having them was just a place to put speakers and cables. I like them, don't get me wrong, but it's not a make or break sort of thing for me. I don't recall having been in a commercial theater with columns, so I don't really associate columns directly with home theaters.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2013 of 2038 Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I don't see the difference in ripping them out now, or on revision 2.0 remodel when (and IF) you ever decide you need to move speaker locations.

It seems kind of silly to pay for a pro layout, have it re-worked with Nyal (paying again) and then worry about moving speaker locations. Realistically why would you need to move speaker locations? And now much difference would that ever make compared to the professional design layout you have now ? I don't see the point.

The effort to remove the columns and do new fabric frames in the future would be as much effort as it is now to tear them out.

I'd just live with what you got. It seems rather silly to change things now. Your speaker placement seems perfectly fine, I am having a hard time imagining what you would change and why.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2014 of 2038 Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I guess I don't see the difference in ripping them out now, or on revision 2.0 remodel when (and IF) you ever decide you need to move speaker locations.

It seems kind of silly to pay for a pro layout, have it re-worked with Nyal (paying again) and then worry about moving speaker locations. Realistically why would you need to move speaker locations? And now much difference would that ever make compared to the professional design layout you have now ? I don't see the point.

The effort to remove the columns and do new fabric frames in the future would be as much effort as it is now to tear them out.

I'd just live with what you got. It seems rather silly to change things now. Your speaker placement seems perfectly fine, I am having a hard time imagining what you would change and why.
+1

JPA Might as well install a water closet too...........entertaining watching money flushed down drain.

I've heard it before in my own room.......have to lower surround speakers to separate overheads and side surrounds for Atmos. What the heck?

Five feet or more in height separation is plenty.........at least that is what my little Dolby birdie suggests.
post #2015 of 2038 Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Fairly new the forums here but saw your thread and ran through the entire thing tonight. Wow its been 3 years and 5 months since your first post on this project. I dont think I could wait that long if I was building but I does seem like a really fun project that you have here. I look forward to seeing it completed.
post #2016 of 2038 Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboller86 View Post
I look forward to seeing it completed.
Don't we all...
post #2017 of 2038 Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Don't we all...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TMCG+FRED+J_P_A+Aliens

-

post #2018 of 2038 Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice! I see a consensus developing here. Just to clarify, using fabric panel walls would make it so I can change everything whenever I like without doing a major remodel. Just pull down the panels, move the speakers/treatments, and put the panels back up. I still think it would be easier to do now because of the amount of finishing still left to do, and a remodel after the carpet, furniture, electronics, final paint and trim are in will be more difficult if for no other reason than the mess.

There is enough disagreement regarding speaker locations that I wouldn't be surprised if the standards change over time.

Wow, three years. That's hard to get my head around. I guess it doesn't feel that bad to me because I started planning this along the time Sandman was really getting going. So this has been a near ten year project for me.
Mfusick likes this.

post #2019 of 2038 Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
BTW I bought a track saw finally...
Missed this post! You will never regret this purchase, sir!

post #2020 of 2038 Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Nice! I see a consensus developing here. Just to clarify, using fabric panel walls would make it so I can change everything whenever I like without doing a major remodel. Just pull down the panels, move the speakers/treatments, and put the panels back up. I still think it would be easier to do now because of the amount of finishing still left to do, and a remodel after the carpet, furniture, electronics, final paint and trim are in will be more difficult if for no other reason than the mess.

There is enough disagreement regarding speaker locations that I wouldn't be surprised if the standards change over time.

Wow, three years. That's hard to get my head around. I guess it doesn't feel that bad to me because I started planning this along the time Sandman was really getting going. So this has been a near ten year project for me.
The takeaway here is moar cutting, less worrying and changing stuff. Just do it.

-

post #2021 of 2038 Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Missed this post! You will never regret this purchase, sir!
Anyone use the Festool TS55 REQ Track Saw?

This was the one that finally got me. I have a feeling it will be my favorite tool.

-

post #2022 of 2038 Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I want you to build those speakers and tell me how they sound.

-

post #2023 of 2038 Old 12-15-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another small step toward completion, again credit card generated. I've finally purchased my 6 surrounds and my 4 overheads. All that leaves is woofage and the sound system will be complete. I've also been given my first row of seats as a Christmas + Birthday present. So I'll likely be giving Roman a call shortly after Christmas to get those on the way. Looking forward to having a little time to actually work on the room, though!

post #2024 of 2038 Old 12-15-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

That's awesome. But somehow I missed the details of the decision. What did you go with for speakers?
post #2025 of 2038 Old 12-15-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went with Volt 8s for surrounds and Volt 6s for overheads. I decided the LCR will essentially be on-axis and the strong first reflections will be heavily treated, so I was better off getting matching surrounds and overheads rather than mixing those. All-in-all it's about as affordable a solution as you can find these days.
Mfusick likes this.

post #2026 of 2038 Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Congratulations! That's a big step for you because I know you were fretting the decisions on both seating and speakers. Now all you need is a spare 5 seconds to build them and a bucket of Duratex. I can't wait to see what you pick out for woofage...
Mfusick and J_P_A like this.
post #2027 of 2038 Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Been gone awhile.......

Glad to see you're making progress, especially on speaker front.

With college football coming to a close....................will have more time to read about your room accomplishments.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2028 of 2038 Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you a college only guy ? Or NFL too?
post #2029 of 2038 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you a college only guy ? Or NFL too?
Yeah, 95% college football........though I do follow NFL for how certain player' careers pan out.

College football is so much more diverse than NFL..........ie different schemes on both sides of ball.
post #2030 of 2038 Old Today, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd love to see if the two best college offenses could score on the two losing NFL conference championship teams defenses. That would be interesting game between the Super Bowl.

I doubt they'd score a point. Would be fun to try.

Set it up like they get 4 drives from the 20yard line. If the NFL team stops them all four times then 10 million bucks gets split into top ten player voted charities. College players play for pride. That way the NFL guys won't take it easy on them

Could be a cool concept game before the Super Bowl. I always wanted see a top college team vs a real pro team. The difference is the defense, I think the offenses between pro and college have less disparity. But it's miles and miles apart in defense. I enjoy a grind it out 7-6 game at the pro level, but I think I'm not common.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2031 of 2038 Old Today, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree. The difference in defenses between college and pro is pretty big. I missed the game, but from what I've seen of coverage afterwards, 'ol Johnny Football is learning that the hard way. SEC programs put a lot of emphasis on defense in the past, but it seems like college is moving more and more towards focusing on offense because that's what fans like to see.

post #2032 of 2038 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Some teams are still putting strong emphasis on defense - Saban of course fields a top-notch hard-hitting defense. And I think Malzahn made a great move picking up Muschamp. It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.

I know scores get attention, but for me there's nothing better than great blocking, strong tackling, and a defense that can read an offense and make plays.
post #2033 of 2038 Old Today, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Auburn definitely needed a change at defensive coordinator. Auburn's defensive secondary has been weak for a while.

Alabama's defense is certainly good, but I'm not sure it's as good as years past. I would have never believed we'd see a 99 point Iron Bowl. I can remember thinking that Oregon wouldn't stand a chance against an LSU or Alabama defense back when Kelley was Oregon's coach. Now I'm not so sure that even the best SEC defenses would stack up well against that type offense.

I don't keep up with it as well as most in this part of the country (it would take the fun out of it for me), so I may be way off.

post #2034 of 2038 Old Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you're right. The 6-9 Alabama/LSU game a few years ago was a high point. I'm looking forward to Alabama shutting down Ohio State and hopefully making Oregon look like boys among men.
post #2035 of 2038 Old Today, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ This!!!!

post #2036 of 2038 Old Today, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I think you're right. The 6-9 Alabama/LSU game a few years ago was a high point. I'm looking forward to Alabama shutting down Ohio State and hopefully making Oregon look like boys among men.
I'm tired of the ESPN cowering to SEC. Think about it...........that SEC NC winning streak has been supported my BCS voters bias. When Florida crush Ohio State for the title, it should have been USC playing in the game, not Florida!

I had a conversation with an analyst who was a Florida grad and had compared Florida to USC......he had spent a lot of time watching both teams in practice. His comment was Florida was just as fast as USC, but USC were MEN compared to Florida's boys. He felt USC was the best team he'd seen all year, but that lost to Stanford was too much to over come........

We all know Pac-12 Football is much better than the South......bowl games will provide evidence!
post #2037 of 2038 Old Today, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about the worst NFL defense vs best college offense. Who wins ?
post #2038 of 2038 Old Today, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How about the worst NFL defense vs best college offense. Who wins ?
The worst NFL team vs Best college team would be a blowout in the form of 45 to 14...........56 to 7 etc.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction