The Plains Theater - Page 70 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 159Likes

post #2071 of 2286 Old 02-06-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I'm planning for 7.1.4, but I will be using a side array. So there will be four side surrounds, two back surrounds, four overheads, and the LCR.
Gotcha.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2286 Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
What are you doing for the ATMOS again? The VOLTS?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2073 of 2286 Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Yep. Volt 6s on the ceiling.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2074 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those of you that have asked, I updated my second post with my new acoustic plan. Be aware that I specifically asked for a more conceptual design rather than actual construction plans. This was in order to reduce the costs. Items like the baffle wall for example, would typically include detailed instructions on how to build it. I already know a lot of the details about how to build a baffle wall, I just needed to know things like how much surface needed to be covered with Linacoustic, how much insulation behind it, and how much and where to put the open spaces for bass trapping.

All-in-all I really like that Nyal was willing to work with me to keep the costs down. Not to mention he was extremely patient with all my questions and the amount of time it took for me to settle on how to tweak my design after his first set of comments. I'd highly recommend anyone looking to do a room to contact Nyal!

post #2075 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 269
That's very interesting.

I have been planning a helmholtz or similar trap as well, though I was going to use it as a speaker stand for LCR (not 100% sure that's a good idea). Anyway - where are you putting that?

Lots more diffusion than I expected. I wonder about the difference between the areas of diffusion in front of the seating (side walls). The open area specified for the slat diffusors changes, and I don't know how that should be done or why. You have any info about that?
J_P_A likes this.
post #2076 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Helmholtz trap goes in the back corner. I would prefer to have two subs back there to help smooth out the rooms response, but the budget doesn't allow for that at the moment. So, to get some use of the space in the back of the room Nyal suggested the helmholtz trap.

Yes, it is quite a bit of diffusion. Though I've always thought of absorption as a secondary treatment when you don't have the space to get adequate diffusion. That may not be correct, just a feeling I've developed as I've read over the years. I don't know how Nyal decided on the open area for the two diffusors. I do know that he is a little concerned about the room sounding too dead. My space has a short ceiling for its length (relatively speaking). Most rooms with the the square footage of my space would have more height which would allow for more reflective surfaces above the seating. This is something we're going to reevaluate once the room is finished to see if we need to make some tweaks.
Mfusick likes this.

post #2077 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a bit of a crazy idea. I've been considering leaving the treatments open. That is, not covering them with fabric. I would wrap any of the absorption panels, but leave the diffusion panels painted. There's a pretty wide variety of panels, so I'm not sure how it would look.

post #2078 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's easy and cheap enough to cover them, even change the cover if you prefer something else.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2079 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sort of like the way the diffusion panels look. I might be in the minority tho.

post #2080 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

it's your theater. And easy enough to cover them after.

-

post #2081 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
I sort of like the way the diffusion panels look. I might be in the minority tho.
I like the look of most diffusion panels as well. Sometimes I think it is a shame when folks cover them. I guess it depends where they are located and how they are painted. You would not want them to be a distraction from what is happening on the screen. Non reflective paint would be essential. I am easily distracted so maybe it would not bother you as much. You could always make a panel to cover them if it did bother you.

I have not checked in on your build in awhile and it looks like things are coming along. I need to take a closer look at some previous posts. Very exciting!
post #2082 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been to a room that Nyal did an acoustic treatment plan for (dlbeck) and it was fantastic so I think you will be very pleased.

With Atmos and DTSX coming I am looking for cheap DIY surrounds so I am looking forward to your review of the Volt's in this regard. I might need something fairly substantial to hang with my JTR Noesis 212 HT's.
post #2083 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm certainly looking forward to having the room done (I'm sure that's a surprise ). I'm also pleased with my decision to use Nyal's treatment plan. Hopefully I'll be just as enthusiastic once I actually get to listen to something in there besides saws, nail guns, and an air compressor!

post #2084 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have followed ur build from the start but tonight I'm going back through it. I think I missed a lot! Lol. I like ur acoustic plans. Nyal has been really nice to work with. I did the same as you in some respect. I had him spend some time to see what he would change with my layout. I make those changes Friday. Right now I'm in rest of basement mode.

Can you give me some more detail on ur stage layout. You left one foot from the front of the front of the screen at the ends of the screen to front of stage? Where the middle of arch is how deep is it from clackers to end of the top stage arch? Did ur lower arch step end up even with the ends that are 5'6" deep? Or did the lower arch step stuck out further in the middle? Does that make sense?

Do you have two lights on each of ur steps for the riser? Looks like it?

Good job with everything. Ur are seeing the end of the journey I bet! All I see is a black tunnel.
post #2085 of 2286 Old 02-11-2015, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jimim, do you use sketchup? I can send you my model that has all my stage dimensions in it. Then you can even tweak it to see what you like. Let me know if I missed a dimension you need.

Yes, two lights on each step. That was a last minute change after Nyal talked me into a front row of three rather than four.

I can't decide if I can see the end or not. If I could get a couple weeks to work on my room, I think I could get really close to finishing. Unfortunately, I've barely had enough time to get enough sleep lately..... It's good, though. I'll enjoy it that much more when I do actually get to watch a movie
doublewing11 likes this.

Last edited by J_P_A; 02-11-2015 at 05:44 PM.
post #2086 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
jimim, do you use sketchup? I can send you my model that has all my stage dimensions in it. Then you can even tweak it to see what you like. Let me know if I missed a dimension you need.

Yes, two lights on each step. That was a last minute change after Nyal talked me into a front row of three rather than four.

I can't decide if I can see the end or not. If I could get a couple weeks to work on my room, I think I could get really close to finishing. Unfortunately, I've barely had enough time to get enough sleep lately..... It's good, though. I'll enjoy it that much more when I do actually get to watch a movie
ThAnks. I have it but I'm not very good at using it. I k ow how to view things though. It would be a huge help to see it though if you didn't mind. I'm just not sure of proportions. I'll pm u my email.

I assume u just use regular steps lights? That's what I'm doing too. I threw around the idea of strips and such just didn't want to deal with transformers. Just like I didn't want to deal with led's and dimming.

Thanks again! I'm going to read through ur thread this morning. Last night I spent a few hrs cleaning up after my plumber and finishing up my living space cieling layout for hvac speakers and cans.
post #2087 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Initially I was trying to squeeze in 4 in my front row. Would have been super tight and smaller chairs. But, I went with 3 and so glad I did. The great great majority of the time it is just me and my wife down there and I want to be right in the middle for the best picture and sound. Since my viewing distance is only 9 ft it does make a difference to be exactly in the middle vs just to the left or right. If the front row was maybe 12 ft back it might not be that big of a deal. So anyway I think it is the way to go.
post #2088 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
ThAnks. I have it but I'm not very good at using it. I k ow how to view things though. It would be a huge help to see it though if you didn't mind. I'm just not sure of proportions. I'll pm u my email.

I assume u just use regular steps lights? That's what I'm doing too. I threw around the idea of strips and such just didn't want to deal with transformers. Just like I didn't want to deal with led's and dimming.

Thanks again! I'm going to read through ur thread this morning. Last night I spent a few hrs cleaning up after my plumber and finishing up my living space cieling layout for hvac speakers and cans.
Just a comment on the led's and dimming. I was really freaked out about not being able to dim led's too. I wanted a smooth transition whenever I changed scenes. And cost was an issue too so I went with incandescents. The dimming does work well. But the heat is a major factor. I have problems with my room being too hot in the winter anyway. So now I can't have the lights on for more than 2 minutes. Seriously only 2 minutes before the room heats up significantly. I am in the process of coming up with a way to cool my theater in the winter and plan to transition my lights to led's as costs for these bulbs come down. I am willing to deal with the dimming problems to get the heat down and be able to actually use the lights more often. Just a word of caution.
UK Dreamer likes this.
post #2089 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Just a comment on the led's and dimming. I was really freaked out about not being able to dim led's too. I wanted a smooth transition whenever I changed scenes. And cost was an issue too so I went with incandescents. The dimming does work well. But the heat is a major factor. I have problems with my room being too hot in the winter anyway. So now I can't have the lights on for more than 2 minutes. Seriously only 2 minutes before the room heats up significantly. I am in the process of coming up with a way to cool my theater in the winter and plan to transition my lights to led's as costs for these bulbs come down. I am willing to deal with the dimming problems to get the heat down and be able to actually use the lights more often. Just a word of caution.
So question. Adding led bulbs to a regular housing does tht make it true led and lead to less heat or do you have to do all new housings also. I just don't know cause I haven't bothered much reading in led's. Also I have some low volt stuff in using. Are led's that use low volt the same wiring to the transformer? My second problem on top of it all is my whe home is leviton zwave so I have that to deal with also.

Jim
post #2090 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This might be of interest to you guys. Looks like Damelon replaced all of his GU10s with LEDs. He seems happy with them.

post #2091 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I just placed my order for my acoustic treatments from Nyal. I'm gradually checking off these big(ger) ticket purchases. I think that leaves carpet, the PJ, screen, and the AVR....... I sorta wish I hadn't thought about that

post #2092 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
This might be of interest to you guys. Looks like Damelon replaced all of his GU10s with LEDs. He seems happy with them.
J_P_A - I think these are the same dimmable GU10 LED's on Amazon for a great price.

Quote:
Yep. Volt 6s on the ceiling.
I'll be curious on your review of the Volt 6's also. Are you going low profile (9"h x 7"w 5.75"d per MTG90) sealed for the ATMOS height speakers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #2093 of 2286 Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 269
post #2094 of 2286 Old 02-13-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I want to hear your thoughts on the volt 6's too.

-

post #2095 of 2286 Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Me too. I was planning to spend some time in the theater this week, but it just hasn't panned out. Next week is a wash, too. Maybe the week after, but even then putting together speakers has been a side project compared to everything else. I do have the boxes for all my Volt 8s together. I just need to put the baffle on them. Along those lines, how do does everyone keep the Duratex out of the speaker cutout? Not sure if I should spray paint it black and then mask it off, or what.

post #2096 of 2286 Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

Some people are born to expose their diffusors.........you said same thing when I was installing my ceiling diffusors. If you like naked.........well then, go naked!

Time to set a finish date!
post #2097 of 2286 Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Go naked JPA!

-

post #2098 of 2286 Old 02-14-2015, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys, there are some things you just can't unsee........ Oh, you meant the treatments...... Yeah I get it

post #2099 of 2286 Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The first shipment of acoustic treatments arrived last night. I probably won't take pictures until I put them up because I want to leave them in the box so they don't get beat up. I will say I'm a little disappointed in the flutter echo treatments. They are made of cheap styrofoam (think $.99 styrofoam cooler). If I had read the product description more closely I would have realized that. Fortunately, they weren't too expensive. If I decide to go naked on the treatments, I'll DIY something that looks better for sure.

The other Auralex treatments I got are more along the lines of what I was expecting. They're a thin plastic. I'll have to decide if I think people will be tempted to poke them and bend them if I leave them showing on the wall. I've asked Nyal if I can fill them with spray foam, but haven't heard back. I'll keep you guys posted. EDIT: That was quick. Nyal Vetoed that idea

My ceiling treatments should be here next week. Those are the ones I'm most excited to see!

Last edited by J_P_A; 02-19-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #2100 of 2286 Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page