post #2101 of 2107 Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
The first shipment of acoustic treatments arrived last night. I probably won't take pictures until I put them up because I want to leave them in the box so they don't get beat up. I will say I'm a little disappointed in the flutter echo treatments. They are made of cheap styrofoam (think $.99 styrofoam cooler). If I had read the product description more closely I would have realized that. Fortunately, they weren't too expensive. If I decide to go naked on the treatments, I'll DIY something that looks better for sure.

The other Auralex treatments I got are more along the lines of what I was expecting. They're a thin plastic. I'll have to decide if I think people will be tempted to poke them and bend them if I leave them showing on the wall. I've asked Nyal if I can fill them with spray foam, but haven't heard back. I'll keep you guys posted. EDIT: That was quick. Nyal Vetoed that idea

My ceiling treatments should be here next week. Those are the ones I'm most excited to see!
Roger Dressler told me Keith Yates told him to back fill plastic diffusers with just household insulation and caulk edges down for air-tight seal. There............cheap tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2107 Old 02-21-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Roger Dressler told me Keith Yates told him to back fill plastic diffusers with just household insulation and caulk edges down for air-tight seal. There............cheap tip!
^^^This is what Nyal spec'ed. I just didn't know if this was to prevent the panels from resonating or if it was part of the room decay treatments. Yeah, Nyal wants them filled with loose insulation

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2103 of 2107 Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
^^^This is what Nyal spec'ed. I just didn't know if this was to prevent the panels from resonating or if it was part of the room decay treatments. Yeah, Nyal wants them filled with loose insulation
From my understanding.........both. Insulation helps lower frequency diffusion characteristics.
post #2104 of 2107 Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, however, if Nyal had only considered the insulation to prevent the treatments from resonating, I wanted to fill them with spray foam to make them stiffer. They would be easy to press and dent as they are. Unfortunately, spray foam provides little to no absorption, so I'll have to go with the loose fill in order to provide the amount of absorption Nyal wants in the room.

post #2105 of 2107 Unread Today, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there an easy way to cut outlet boxes in 3/4" MDF, or do I need to plan on using a drill and jigsaw?

post #2106 of 2107 Unread Today, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I've been using drill and reciprocating saw in my soffits - 1/2" OSB + 5/8" drywall. I'm sure a jigsaw would be neater, but I'm getting reasonably good with my reciprocating saw.
post #2107 of 2107 Unread Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Is there an easy way to cut outlet boxes in 3/4" MDF, or do I need to plan on using a drill and jigsaw?
Drill and jig saw is crude approach. Pain if you have a lot of them.

Or make a template and use a trace bit in your router. An upspiral bit in a full sizes router works really well for me, but if you don't have dust collection on your router you might consider someone standing there with a shop vac.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page