post #2132 of 2135 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Alright, so here comes a bombshell. I may be doing a 180 on my PJ selection. I'd pretty well settled on an Epson 5030 or 6030 and an A-lens in order to maintain brightness. Nyal pointed out that you don't actually get as much of a brightness boost as is often advertised by the A-lens manufacturers. Here's the link Nyal sent me (hopefully he won't mind). Best case is around 9% light increase over zooming, but I've got a feeling my UH480 isn't going to give best case. On top of that, there is an image quality loss due to the processing that has to take place. The 2.35 image has the black bars as part of the movie. There are not 1080 lines of information. So the scaler has to interpolate the 890 or so lines onto a 1080 grid. Bad processing gives a bad image. The zoom method doesn't have the extra processing, so your seeing the image as it's encoded on the disc.

All that said, I'm thinking about going with the AE8000 as equally bright as the Epson, has memory zoom, and it's cheaper. I can do the scaling in the AVR if I decide to use the A-lens.
I like my AE8000 and It can be had for a good price just use an authorized dealer. There are a few know issues and the good dealers will exchange it no questions asked. Check out the owners thread.
post #2133 of 2135 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
I like my AE8000 and It can be had for a good price just use an authorized dealer. There are a few know issues and the good dealers will exchange it no questions asked. Check out the owners thread.
This is the major advantage with the Epson IMO. In addition to good reliability and 3 year warranty, they have a zero tolerance on defects including stuck pixel.

And the service is top notch.

One (only 1!) stuck pixel they exchange it, and swap it out. New unit on your door step next day. Put your old one in the box and send it back. Good job Epson!

I've got a good friend that is a dealer for them all, and his main complaint about the Sony and JVC was about this. Neither had as liberal and easy warranty policy or as easy and friendly support process. It takes longer and costs more and it is more difficult to get an RMA. In the slow time it takes, he ends up giving his customers (he installs them professionally) a loaner unit while they wait for a repair or whatever. So his own demo unit or personal unit ends up getting a few hundred hours on it.

And that's because he's a stand up guy and decides to help out his customer personally while the MFG takes its time or doesn't. But it costs him, and it's just general pain that's better avoided.

Epson had a good reliability record generally across all its models and the few cases that need it they really just step up and handle it with an exchange so the entire ordeal is over in 48 hours and everyone is happy.

This might be more a problem for an installer that installs many of them all, than an enthusiast that only has 1. But it's nice to know Espon stands behind it's products so well, and just in case you need it the process is easy and fast.

At Cedia this was also one of the main points they drove home during their demos. I liked the LS10000 and the 6030 very much. I've seen the 6030 and 5030 other times and thought it looked just awesome then too. I know someone that has he 5030 and picture is fantastic. It's not even calibrated. I think I might have an opportunity to check out some projectors at the GTG in March too, so that should be cool. It's been a while since I was heavy into projectors, I'm almost in the market again so I should start looking I think.

Having owned a few brands I'd be highly inclined to choose Epson for my next one based on everything I know, and have learned, and my own personal experience with them already. I remember my first projector was an Infocus X1 that was only 480p DLP for $1000... Haha. I guess things keep getting better. I'm not ready for 4k yet though which is why I'm dragging my feet. I think I'm best served with a high value 1080p for now that can light a decent sized screen.
post #2134 of 2135 Unread Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 1297
What is your priority? 235:1 movies? 16x9 sports?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2135 of 2135 Unread Today, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I'm not sure there's a clear priority for me. I tend to like action, adventure, scifi movies, so a lot of that content will be 2.35. However, I plan to do a lot of gaming in my theater as well, and that will be 16:9. It may end up being a 50/50 split for me.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page