The Plains Theater - Page 73 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Yes. I bought two while they were on closeout. I've only taken one out of the box long enough to take a picture...... The box is a little heavy!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
It has balanced inputs right? Get a balanced pre/pro. It will avoid issues and hum.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 03-11-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I forgot you purchased two of them. Dang, you have two. Tim has three. I'm feeling so inadequate with just the one.

Wait till you get those plugged in. To paraphrase, I know all amps should sound equal, but some sound more equal than others. These sound great. Totally changed the sound in my LCR's. C'mon man lets go, I want to see those things in a rack making you go deaf!

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
It has balanced inputs right? Get a balanced pre/pro. It will avoid issues and hum.
I'm using RCA-RCA with no issues.
J_P_A likes this.

-

Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I believe it. But I've also see a couple issues with the same amp that's likely attributed to noise or interference so better safe than sorry. XLR is for winners.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll go with XLR if I can find a processor at a reasonable price. So far I've come up empty, hence the reason I'm seriously considering that 8801......... I get to a point where I get tired of looking

Old 03-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
J_P_A - the Denon 4311ci is a fantastic 11.2 AVR (9.2 w/option for amp to make 11.2, also 3D @ 60Hz) - highly recommend!! You can't beat this price.

@Mfusick - the 3312 was 7.2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
Old 03-11-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You sure ? I might have my model wrong then. Mine certainly had 11.2 in the set up menu. I'll look on the back when I'm home. (Not that it matter).
Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I forgot you purchased two of them. Dang, you have two. Tim has three. I'm feeling so inadequate with just the one.

Wait till you get those plugged in. To paraphrase, I know all amps should sound equal, but some sound more equal than others. These sound great. Totally changed the sound in my LCR's. C'mon man lets go, I want to see those things in a rack making you go deaf!
Quote:
Glad to hear someone has them with no issues. I tend to forget that the internet tends to offer a skewed representation of reality. Just because the 7-350 thread is full of complaints about the hum/buzz doesn't mean every amp has the issue.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Glad to hear someone has them with no issues. I tend to forget that the internet tends to offer a skewed representation of reality. Just because the 7-350 thread is full of complaints about the hum/buzz doesn't mean every amp has the issue.
It's not that amp. It's all amps. Especially if you use a monoprice XLR convert cable, seems like most people that do that end up needing to split it open and float the ground, or modify the cable a bit.

Audio interference is an odd thing. You either might get it, or not. You don't know. If you are like Blldo and do not, I would just count your blessings and move on. But if you do, it's PITA to figure out.

@Nick****achi is my resident XLR pin floating guru. He had a nice picture graph once that showed what to do, and a good explanation of how to chase it down.

I wasn't saying you'd get hum. Rather you are best to get a balanced out PRE/PRO if you can and just simply avoid the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Not sure if this was the same article but its the same graph. # 17 is the one you want RCA output to XLR input. The monoprice is XLR output to RCA input.

http://www.rane.com/note110.html
@lemonslush posted this in my LCR speaker build. It's a cool dot jpeg.

Most of the trouble all relates back to this stuff. If you get it right you won't have hum.
J_P_A and lemonslush like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

The issue with the 7-350 seems to be more related to the power supply or electrical input than the input signal. If I'm remember correctly, people have tried changing RCAs to XLRs to different preamps without much success. My theory is that second batch of these amps that came in after the sale may have had some issues. I got one out of the existing stock as did JPA (well two ). A lot of people were able to jump on the waiting list for the second batch and it seems (though my memory is very poor these days) that some of the people I've seen with issues were those on the waiting list. I might be totally off-base here, but that's how I was reading the situation. Who knows.
Mfusick and J_P_A like this.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MFusik, thanks for posting that image. I've seen it in the past, but couldn't remember where! I'll go with balanced if I can find a processor for sure. Otherwise, that's good to have as a reference.

BILDO, I certainly hope your right. I haven't had a chance to research the issue much, but I'd rather be lucky than good any day! BTW, I've had to look up solipsistic several times (for some reason I can't seem to remember what it means for more than a few days). I get a chuckle out of that every time.
Mfusick and BllDo like this.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The issue with the 7-350 seems to be more related to the power supply or electrical input than the input signal. If I'm remember correctly, people have tried changing RCAs to XLRs to different preamps without much success. My theory is that second batch of these amps that came in after the sale may have had some issues. I got one out of the existing stock as did JPA (well two ). A lot of people were able to jump on the waiting list for the second batch and it seems (though my memory is very poor these days) that some of the people I've seen with issues were those on the waiting list. I might be totally off-base here, but that's how I was reading the situation. Who knows.
That makes sense I guess. I don't know a ton about those amps to be honest. I just know that if you can get a pre/pro with balanced outs it makes sense. If Paul needs to save some cash and get a placeholder unit for the time being I could see giving up the balanced outs for now and rolling the dice, but he is going to spend $1000+ might as well get the balanced outs and do it up right. Just my opinion though.. I am often both wrong and an A$$hole... haha. You can score high end used pre/pro that still do 7.1 fairly cheap from guys upgrading to atmos, 4k/3D and whatever. Those would be excellent place holders IMO for really short money. Ideally a big purchase for a pre pro now should include:

New broadcast specs /second gen HDMI/HDCP/4K/ wider color gamut/bandwidth/new chip
and
new audio chips for ATMOS/DTS-X and possibly Auro3D.

Those are two huge events looming, one for video and one for audio, that likely would make anything current obsolete in a premature amount of time relative to the purchase price. If pockets are deep enough, or a decision can be made to give up that stuff for a longer period of time then I could see the reasoning behind a high end AVR or PRO/PRO purchase now. But the smart move is to wait until the next generation of products hits with this stuff, which is after summer. In that case something as a place holder for a few hundred bucks is the perfect solution.
J_P_A likes this.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

^ I agree with this. Buy something cheap if you need something now. Otherwise wait. At the same site you were looking at the 8801, they have a Denon x4000 for ~$650. I'm a Denon fanboy and plug this receiver whenever I can, but it's because I'm very happy with mine. Mike's idea of a solid used model, I think is also good.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's another one I've been considering because of the price alone (Marantz SR5008 for $429 shipped). So far I haven't found anything on the used market cheap enough that it makes me feel like the savings is worth the risk of buying someone else's problems.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks like a solid choice.

I was just looking through the listed models, and it seems like the 5008 and the 3312 are the two most reasonably priced models with preouts until you drop down to Onkyo or Yahama. If you don't need the heights or wides preouts, or some of the bells and whistles of the more expensive units, I'd say pick up that one. It looks like a good find.
J_P_A likes this.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Here's another one I've been considering because of the price alone (Marantz SR5008 for $429 shipped). So far I haven't found anything on the used market cheap enough that it makes me feel like the savings is worth the risk of buying someone else's problems.
Buying problems isn't so real. Aren't you a PHD in electrical engineering? You can swap out a board in an AVR
Broken stuff often gets priced as such, and in many cases you can live with what is broke, or fix it easy. It's extra PITA for sure, but you can score multi-thousand dollar units for $50 doing that. The trick is knowing what is wrong before you buy it so you don't get up the creek without a paddle. The Onkyo, Marantz and Denon stuff often had HDMI board issues, and those problems are really easily fixed with a screw driver. A lot of AVR designs are modular, I even replaced the HDMI board on my dad's oldschool Panasonic first gen 42" Plasma recently. It's like PCI and PCI express cards in computers... they just plug in. You need to remove a lot of screws and keep track of where they go, but there is no parts being replaced or soldering, it's plug and play. I'd take a shot in the dark for $50. It usually pays off. Just make sure you steal it for a price it won't matter, or you can unload it without getting hurt. You'd be surprised at what you find in classified section, ebay, or Craigslist. My best buddy just scored a higher end HK ($2500) on craiglist thinking the power supply was busted, it would not turn on at all. He paid $60. He took it apart and everything and realized the HK had two power buttons, one that remains pushed in, and another soft touch that is ON/OFF. He literally just needed to push the power button in... the hard press one. The unit was mint.

I'm just not sure how you feel about treasure hunting or how cash sensitive you are. If you don't want to bother with such things, I think pulling the trigger on that $650 X4000 is a no brainer. I have the older non best buy model and it's not bad for that price. There is a lot of good value new models with warranty in the $500-$750 range that would be a great place holder, giving you basically everything available today, without making you cry when you replace it later.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys! I ordered the SR5008. I had to do something. I was locked up! I couldn't think about anything else until I figured this out

Quote:
........ Aren't you a PHD in electrical engineering? You can swap out a board in an AVR
Broken stuff often gets priced as such, and in many cases you can live with what is broke, or fix it easy. It's extra PITA for sure, but you can score multi-thousand dollar units for $50 doing that. The trick is knowing what is wrong before you buy it so you don't get up the creek without a paddle.........
Not a PhD yet, but getting close (I hope).

I really like this idea! I think I'll keep looking around for the high end stuff and see if I can find something repairable. I like fiddling around with things with blinking lights and wires.

Next question, how do I order a Mid Atlantic rack mount for this thing. I found the part number, but I haven't been able to find a site that says specifically that the part number I'm using is for the Marantz receiver. It seems to be generic and I don't want to end up with the wrong thing.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Here: http://www.middleatlantic.com/resources/rsh-lookup.aspx

Edit: I think http://www.customavrack.com/ still has the cheapest prices on custom shelves, but I haven't shopped in a while.
J_P_A and doublewing11 like this.

-

Last edited by BllDo; 03-12-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found that, but how do I go from that to an order? How can I make them take my monies????

Is there a distributor that you can recommend? I've never ordered from Middle Atlantic and I'm always a little hesitant to order from some random company on the internet.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I found that, but how do I go from that to an order? How can I make them take my monies????
ha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	598553  
J_P_A likes this.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aha! I missed your edit the first time around. Thanks for the link!!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I think I was editing it two different tabs, and that didn't work the way I expected to. Sorry about that.
J_P_A likes this.

-

Old 03-12-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
I've found an 8801 for $1300 shipped. That's 11.2 of balanced pre outs. That's hard to pass up at this point.
How much are you in a rush? I'm waiting on 8802 with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2........................if you can wait until Summer, I can beat that price into submission. If you are moving along lines of Veruca Salt...............

Then a no go.............................

Can skip formalities of paypal................can even be a bank if you wish!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Here: http://www.middleatlantic.com/resources/rsh-lookup.aspx

Edit: I think http://www.customavrack.com/ still has the cheapest prices on custom shelves, but I haven't shopped in a while.
+1

Ordered all my MA stuff from AVS and customrackav.com.................................. no issues with either.......though CS with Mike at AVS was nice since MA had issue with Halo amp rack shelf.........in other words, sent wrong setup. Remember..........faceplates and shelves are not returnable!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I ordered all my stuff from customrackav.com as well. Great company to deal with.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uh oh!!!! What's this????? A progress stopper????

Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 493
That looks EXTREMELY dangerous. Please set it outside and I'll be by to pick it up for proper disposal. You're welcome.
J_P_A likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't post pictures of porn. It's against forum rules.
J_P_A likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
This is only true if the source of the hum is coming from external interference being induced over the audio cable or from the power supply and induced into the front end of the amp. If the source of noise is mechanical (from faulty transformer mounting or loose windings) or from the power supply inducing into the audio Output, then XLR's will have zero affect.

Quote:
I'll go with XLR if I can find a processor at a reasonable price. So far I've come up empty, hence the reason I'm seriously considering that 8801......... I get to a point where I get tired of looking
Like I mentioned above, going XLR will not guarantee you hum free operation.

I too was fortunate enough to get one of these shipped to my door for Nine Hundy !!!! But mine had the dreaded hum/buzz. I am running mine off of one of three individual 240VAC/20amp circuits. (other two are for Sanways).

I had troubleshot this issue for weeks. I even went so far as to shut EVERYTHING OFF in the subpanel EXCEPT for the breaker going to the 7-350. This included the lighting for the HT, so I was using a flashlight for T/S'ing. I UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING from the 7-350 except for the power cord. I then plugged in a single speaker on one of the channels. As soon as I hit the power button --- there was the buzz/hum. I tried a different speaker from a different manufacture on a different channel and no dice, same issue. This proved unequivocally that the source of the issue was with the AMP since there were no input cables even attached.

That is when I contacted and worked with Lonnie Vaughn (VP) at Emotiva. He was going to email me a return shipping label (sucker weights 105lbs) so I could get it back to them, but it was 2 weeks before Christmas and I knew if I sent it in at this time, I probably would not get it back before February due to the holidays and vacations. I told him I would hang on to it and get back in touch when the holidays settle down.

In that time I finally got my LS-9's and LS-C. I assumed due to their very high sensitivity that they would naturally exasperate the noise issue. Much to my surprise, they were actually quieter than the bookshelf speakers I was using to test with. Before the arrival of the LS-9's, the noise was loud enough to be heard at the MLP. Now that the GR Research speakers are in place, the noise is low enough not to be heard unless up close to one of the speakers. I called Lonnie back and let him know that at this point it wasn't worth the hassle to ship it back and I would call it good.

You could always power one up in stand alone config and wire a speaker to it and see if you hear any hum/buzz (mine was more of an odd buzz).

Good luck !!!! And nice grab getting two of these! Major Score!
Mfusick and J_P_A like this.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II