The Plains Theater - Page 77 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 159Likes
post #2281 of 2287 Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I appreciate the feedback. Whatever it was seems to have spontaneously resolved itself. I unhooked everything and took it to my living room. No issues in there. Took one of the Volts from the theater, again, no issues. Took everything back to the theater and hooked stuff up one piece at a time. Everything is now connected as it was before, and everything sounds fine.

No idea what was going on. I'd rather be lucky than good any day, though
Do you believe in "Gemlins?" Maybe one got frighten and ran away!

Alabama men do/can scare them away!

BTW, I've always thought of 'Bama men having thick, long beards.........is that stereotyping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2287 Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 308
A quick update while I am procrastinating.

The flip toggles are a bit of a blessing and a curse. I think they are plenty strong for the job. I have four going into the drywall for each bracket. I think those four bolts probably exceed the clamping force of all the screws holding the drywall to the ceiling. That thought is what finally made me comfortable with them. No idea if I'm right. Just a feeling.

The problem is those flip toggles are a nightmare to use! I bought the ones that Fastenal carries after reading some disparaging reviews about the HD versions. The first problem I ran into was not having enough space between my drywall and wood framing. I worked around it, but I had to force a few into the holes and trim the bolts. The next problem I'll see if anyone can figure out from the below photo...

A little cliff hangar there

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2283 of 2287 Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
A little cliff hangar there
Where's the speaker wire?

Tim
post #2284 of 2287 Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Maybe I'm a dufus, but I don't see how the mount fits together. Does the load just hang in a hook on the bracket, or do you have to have a tool between the wall and the load?
post #2285 of 2287 Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, that's a bad picture of the mount. It's two pieces, and you can't see the top bolt hole in the speaker half of the bracket. I'll post some pictures later of how I got that to work.

In the mean time, I ended up just using the "wing" part of the toggle bolt. I took the plastic part off, and had to use masons string to hold the toggle behind the wall while I threaded the bolts. If I used the plastic part as intended, the toggles would either spin behind the wall or it would just break the plastic and drop the toggle behind the wall.

I spent the better part of the day messing with those toggle bolts. I'm sure it was just operator error, but I was running out of bolts faster than I was figuring it out

post #2286 of 2287 Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Toggle Bolts = Fail

These are the flip toggles I decided to use.

You can see on the left I've already broken one off. That was the first one where I discovered that there was not enough space between the drywall and the framing to actually flip the toggle. In some places I was able to squeeze the toggle past the framing, and in others where the 2x's were stacked to support overhead beams, well, it just wasn't happening.

I had to improvise. I ended up breaking the plastic off the majority of the toggle bolts and running some masons string through the holes. I didn't take a photo, but if you think it through, you can route the string so that when you pull it the toggle lines up so that you can start the bolt. Here's a photo of a set of bolts for one surround mount.

As a quick reminder, these are the brackets I'm using. I decided to flip them around and use the four-bolt part of the bracket on the wall, and the two-bolt part on the speaker.

To mount the brackets to the speakers I went with hurricane nuts. I read up on them a bit and found that it's extremely important to
  1. Get the holes placed properly
  2. Make sure the holes are perpendicular to the surface
  3. Use an adhesive on the nuts
With those items in mind, I first used the brackets and a center punch to mark the hole locations.

I don't have a drill press, and didn't really want to deal with the setup on one anyway. So I decided to get creative with what I have. A router with a plunge base is a lot like a drill press, anyway, so that's what I used.

With the holes drilled, I added the hurricane nuts. I used a flux brush to dampen the MDF a bit, then put a dab of Gorilla glue under the nut flange just before I tightened it down the last bit. I just used the mounting bracket on the outside of the box and a bolt through the hurricane nut to pull the nut down and hold it in place while the glue set. I didn't see any point in doing this in multiple steps.

post #2287 of 2287 Unread Today, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've got two Sentinels together! One of the studs was not threaded on one end, so the third Sentinel is waiting on hardware to put the compression driver on the waveguide. It's assembled otherwise.

We've picked out carpet, and I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and buying the screen..... I feel like I'm getting close to watching a movie, but the room is going to be ugly to begin with! Right now my plan is to leave off the treatments and fabric. I'd like to add the treatments in steps, and measure, and listen to the difference as I progress.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page