The Plains Theater - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 224Likes
post #2341 of 2526 Old 06-04-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I know exactly what you mean. I bought the same exact processor and it is also a temporary solution until a DTS:X processor comes out that is software upgraded. Luckily I have not had any issues with mine but I really only have about 3-4 hours max on it. Good luck finding the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2526 Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Funny how things like this work. I just mentioned that I have not had any issues. Well looks like I am having HDMI board issues. They seems to be common with the Marantz. Sigh. Why is it so hard to find a good, reliable high end processor?
post #2343 of 2526 Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 363
That sucks! Hopefully it turns out to be a non-issue for you. Loose cable or something like that rather than an AVR problem. No need for the bad mojo to spread any further than the Plains Theater

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2344 of 2526 Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ughhhh... I hate dealing with "customer support." I'm concerned that when I send this unit in, they are going to plug it up and when they don't hear the buzz immediately unplug it and send it back. So far I can't get anyone at Marantz to do anything other than read off their "procedure" for warranty work. The fact that this refurbed unit didn't work out of the box says they're not particularly meticulous when they deal with a unit sent in for repair.

Marantz is pretty quickly moving down my list of electronics manufacturers

post #2345 of 2526 Old 06-05-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Has there been a way for you to describe (in writing?) the things you have to do to make the failure occur? One would think (careful, that can be dangerous) that a repair technician would try to duplicate the failure using the end-user's technique, and not just spot check for the condition of a few components.
post #2346 of 2526 Old 06-05-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I just realized that this thread has gone about a page and half with only conversation about delays and troubles. Then I see elsewhere that you have received your seats...

Where are the pics?!?! We should be having a seat party in here. Also, I'm almost certain that you have been trying out some paint or something with your diffusors. I can smell it when you hold out on us J_P_A!
post #2347 of 2526 Old 06-06-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I've decided to take a page from Granroth's book and set a date for MVP (minimum viable product). The idea is to have the theater functioning minus the acoustic treatments and fabric panels. The room is going to look rough, but be functional.

First, the latest progress is I've hung the crown molding. I'm not happy with how it turned out. It's been a long time since I've hung molding, and I may not have ever hung any crown. Still, my scarf joints did not line up well, and that should have been the easiest part. Here's a photo after sanding, filling, and repriming.

I used a 60 degree scarf joint, and maybe I should have just used a 45. I thought the steeper angle would give me more gluing surface. Either way, it is what it is at this point. The corners didn't turn out as well as I'd like either. I tried coping the joints, but the MDF didn't cooperate. There was really only one corner that is bad, and I sort of expected it because the soffit was a little off there (there was a little issue with the laser level for those of you that don't remember). At this point it's caulk to match, paint to fit! I may end up replacing it down the road once I've had a little more practice.

With that out of the way, here's the punchlist for MVP
  1. touch up paint on crown - planning to do this tomorrow (6/3)
  2. paint and hang baseboard - painting it on 6/3, hang it on 6/6
  3. paint and hang chair rail - painting it on 6/3, hang it on 6/6
  4. terminate speaker cables - Whenever I have time between now and MVP
  5. RF emitter for lights - waiting on parts from Amazon on this one.
  6. build two LilWreckers - I'm going to start this over the next couple weeks, but planning final assembly on 6/13. I've got a few parts coming from Amazon that I'll need for this and I have to source good quality ply which could be a real problem.
  7. carpet - scheduled for 6/17
  8. hang the screen - 6/19
  9. hang the PJ - 6/20. I'm not going to bother with the A-lens for MVP.

That puts MVP on 6/20! I'd like to hang the PJ in the morning and do a quick calibration and watch a movie (or three) in the evening. Right now I think carpet and the LilWreckers are going to be the long-pole on this. Carpet has a tendency to get rescheduled by the installers. LilWreckers are going to be tough. I've really only got one weekend to work on them, and there are some parts you just can't rush (e.g. the glue has to cure).
Is it me or the photo...........looks to me you made a vertical cut at 60 degrees.

I always cut at vertical 0 using 45's. More meat to pin nail and not much glue is really needed. Never need filler too......

I can guarantee you, that seam is as smooth as a babies bottom...........coloration in wood shows a tad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	759953  
post #2348 of 2526 Old 06-06-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Pictures. This thread needs more. Recent and soon to happen progress must be documented or it did not happen. Everyone knows the rules.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2349 of 2526 Old 06-06-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I did a bad job explaining. The noise is coming from the speakers. Here's the current setup.

AVR Plugged into the UPS - UPS plugged into the wall.
One speaker connected to the Left output of the AVR (driving the speaker from the AVR not the 7-350).
No inputs connected.

I can turn on the AVR and leave it alone for 5-10 minutes and everything is fine. Then, a clicking sound will start coming from the speaker. Intermittent at first, then gradually getting faster until it's a steady buzz.

If I unplug the UPS from the wall, the buzzing will stop (AVR powered from the battery of the UPS). Plug it back in, and the buzzing starts back.

Here's a (boring) video where you can listen to the buzz. I narrated the problem again in the video so that you would have a reference for how loud the buzzing is. Again, this is with nothing but the power and a single speaker connected.

https://youtu.be/CByvnrVnkMg

That sound is definitely annoying..............................

BTW, I also detect a little Southern twang too?
J_P_A likes this.
post #2350 of 2526 Old 06-06-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ughhhh... I hate dealing with "customer support." I'm concerned that when I send this unit in, they are going to plug it up and when they don't hear the buzz immediately unplug it and send it back. So far I can't get anyone at Marantz to do anything other than read off their "procedure" for warranty work. The fact that this refurbed unit didn't work out of the box says they're not particularly meticulous when they deal with a unit sent in for repair.

Marantz is pretty quickly moving down my list of electronics manufacturers
Understand completely your present thoughts............................

But my 8801 has been flawless..........much better than any HK, Denon or Onkyo's I've owned!
post #2351 of 2526 Old 06-07-2015, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Is it me or the photo...........looks to me you made a vertical cut at 60 degrees.

I always cut at vertical 0 using 45's. More meat to pin nail and not much glue is really needed. Never need filler too......

I can guarantee you, that seam is as smooth as a babies bottom...........coloration in wood shows a tad.
Gee, Thanks DW. Now I feel even worse!

I'm not sure what happened with my miter joints. I hung the chair rail and baseboard and it all looks MUCH better. I won't say it looks professional, but it's certainly a huge improvement over the crown. I'm sure it was operator error, but it's going to bug me until I figure out what I did wrong! I cut the scarf joints the same way I cut corners. Which now that I think about it may be the problem. I held the crown against the table and fence of my miter saw just like it goes on the ceiling, except upside down. I made all my cuts this way. Was I supposed to hold the crown flat against the fence for the scarf joints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Pictures. This thread needs more. Recent and soon to happen progress must be documented or it did not happen. Everyone knows the rules.
Yeah, I'm way behind on photos. I'm guilty of a little DW'ing on my documentation. When faced with stopping to take a picture or getting one more thing done before I quit, I usually try to get that one more thing done!

Quote:
That sound is definitely annoying..............................

BTW, I also detect a little Southern twang too?
I shipped the AVR off on Friday. I'm hoping they will fix it quickly (I'm actually hoping for another unit). And yes, I do speak Southern. I try to dial it back a bit when I know you Yanks are going to hear it, but the reality is God talks like this, so you guys should get used to it

post #2352 of 2526 Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gee, Thanks DW. Now I feel even worse!

I'm not sure what happened with my miter joints. I hung the chair rail and baseboard and it all looks MUCH better. I won't say it looks professional, but it's certainly a huge improvement over the crown. I'm sure it was operator error, but it's going to bug me until I figure out what I did wrong! I cut the scarf joints the same way I cut corners. Which now that I think about it may be the problem. I held the crown against the table and fence of my miter saw just like it goes on the ceiling, except upside down. I made all my cuts this way. Was I supposed to hold the crown flat against the fence for the scarf joints?

Yeah, I'm way behind on photos. I'm guilty of a little DW'ing on my documentation. When faced with stopping to take a picture or getting one more thing done before I quit, I usually try to get that one more thing done!

I shipped the AVR off on Friday. I'm hoping they will fix it quickly (I'm actually hoping for another unit). And yes, I do speak Southern. I try to dial it back a bit when I know you Yanks are going to hear it, but the reality is God talks like this, so you guys should get used to it
Scarph joint on crown, lay flat rotate vertical angle to 45 or 30.....other piece lay flat rotate chop saw to other vertical 45 or 30. I tend to favor 30 degrees on softer woods like Alder. Works like a charm.........also helps when one piece has to transition to corner ie cut corner first and adjust on scarph cut. Hate adjusting cuts on corner transitions.

BTW.......Yankee? Did you say Yankee?

Don't confuse Pacific Northwesterner's with those darn Bostonians or New Yorkers.......they're one and the same!!!
post #2353 of 2526 Old 06-09-2015, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mfusik is cyber-stalking me and complaining about my lack of pics, so here goes:

This is the current state of things. I still need to do the paint touchup on the base and chair rail. The only issue I had with either of those is the baseboard got a little high on one side at the top of the steps. I ended up with a 3/4" gap there, but I'm hoping the carpet will fill it in enough that I don't have to rework that section of molding. It's been a lot of effort, but not a lot of visual impact. I think that will happen once I put the fabric panels up. Well, those and the carpet. Carpet is still scheduled for next Wednesday. I'll be sure to post pictures of that for fear of the locals grabbing their pitch forks if I don't

I'm planning to start on subs this weekend. That's assuming the local lumber yard I found does indeed have Arauco ply. I'll be sure to get pics of the sub build as well.

I'm also considering a different approach to mounting my speakers. I may take that project on if my AVR is not back by the end of next week. I'm still not happy with those mounting brackets, and finding a way to dress them up as they are will be tough.
HopefulFred likes this.

post #2354 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Scarph joint on crown, lay flat rotate vertical angle to 45 or 30.....other piece lay flat rotate chop saw to other vertical 45 or 30. I tend to favor 30 degrees on softer woods like Alder. Works like a charm.........also helps when one piece has to transition to corner ie cut corner first and adjust on scarph cut. Hate adjusting cuts on corner transitions.

BTW.......Yankee? Did you say Yankee?

Don't confuse Pacific Northwesterner's with those darn Bostonians or New Yorkers.......they're one and the same!!!
Woah woah there, don't be associating us Bostonians with New Yorkers, them's fighting words
post #2355 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And Here.... We..... Go.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0c4.gif
Views:	106
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	767913  
doublewing11 likes this.

post #2356 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm neither a Bostonian nor a NYer...
tjhall04 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2357 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting to me that no one wants to be a Yankee

post #2358 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I'm your huckleberry.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2359 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That-a-way to step up to the the plate!

post #2360 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, what you see here is a "some assembly required" kit for two lilWreckers! Hopefully this is the same Arauco ply that everyone recommends using.

About four of the eight sheets had knot holes in the back layer, which I was a little surprised to see. The lumber yard I got this from only had 21 sheets, so I didn't exactly have a lot to choose from. The knot holes are small, maybe half dollar size, but there are a lot of them. Sorry I didn't get pictures of that, I was already running late getting back to work.

post #2361 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say that's some good lookin' wood, but that might sound weird. In stead, I'll say - MOAR CUTTING!
post #2362 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
In MA a Yankee is a NYC baseball fan. No thanks. We are Patriots in this part of the country

But I am not a Bostonian. I'm closer to Hartford CT, Albany NY, or VT than I am to Boston. I don't have an accent, well perhaps to you I do, but Bostonians have a Boston accent to me

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2363 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW - well done with the wood. Looks good and I like the pictures! Keep it coming! @lilmike check it out... chit gonna get real!

-

post #2364 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any miniDSP recommendations? Have any of you used them? I can't decide if I want to start small with a unit just to deal with the subs or if I want to jump right into something with Dirac Live. The budget will likely dictate the former, but it doesn't hurt to dream

post #2365 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Any miniDSP recommendations? Have any of you used them? I can't decide if I want to start small with a unit just to deal with the subs or if I want to jump right into something with Dirac Live. The budget will likely dictate the former, but it doesn't hurt to dream
They suck. Get it built into an AMP. inuke had decent DSP. Crown too. Or LG. If you do get miniDSP get a balanced unit, but they have a lower noise floor than an amp with it built in.

-

post #2366 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was thinking of the miniDSP because I thought the iNuke 6000 had a lower limit of 20 Hz for the hpf. Is that not correct?

Can you give me the Cliff's Notes on the problems with the miniDSPs?

post #2367 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 638
The Plains Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhall04 View Post
Woah woah there, don't be associating us Bostonians with New Yorkers, them's fighting words

What about "Mass holes"? Heard that for the first time last week and got a good chuckle out of it

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #2368 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhall04 View Post
Just Funnin'.........

Trying to rattle Mfusick's cage a little...........still sore about Pats lucky win over Seattle!
post #2369 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
I'm your huckleberry.

Aaaaaaa........isn't that a term of endearment?

post #2370 of 2526 Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have used a MiniDSP DRC Open and have really found it's worth its weight in gold. The box has XLR's which is very helpful in my set up. The 1X4 might be a better unit for you.

My first unit came dead on arrival........MiniDSP Customer service was exceptional in handling the situation. Took a week to figure out before they sent another unit.......no qualms here.

If you have XT32........is there really a need for Dirac?

My only experience with Dirac was demo at Triad facility using Datastat 20i processor! Boy, that was a treat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page