I've decided to take a page from Granroth's book and set a date for MVP (minimum viable product). The idea is to have the theater functioning minus the acoustic treatments and fabric panels. The room is going to look rough, but be functional.
First, the latest progress is I've hung the crown molding. I'm not happy with how it turned out. It's been a long time since I've hung molding, and I may not have ever hung any crown. Still, my scarf joints did not line up well, and that should have been the easiest part. Here's a photo after sanding, filling, and repriming.
I used a 60 degree scarf joint, and maybe I should have just used a 45. I thought the steeper angle would give me more gluing surface. Either way, it is what it is at this point. The corners didn't turn out as well as I'd like either. I tried coping the joints, but the MDF didn't cooperate. There was really only one corner that is bad, and I sort of expected it because the soffit was a little off there (there was a little issue with the laser level for those of you that don't remember). At this point it's caulk to match, paint to fit! I may end up replacing it down the road once I've had a little more practice.
With that out of the way, here's the punchlist for MVP
- touch up paint on crown - planning to do this tomorrow (6/3)
- paint and hang baseboard - painting it on 6/3, hang it on 6/6
- paint and hang chair rail - painting it on 6/3, hang it on 6/6
- terminate speaker cables - Whenever I have time between now and MVP
- RF emitter for lights - waiting on parts from Amazon on this one.
- build two LilWreckers - I'm going to start this over the next couple weeks, but planning final assembly on 6/13. I've got a few parts coming from Amazon that I'll need for this and I have to source good quality ply which could be a real problem.
- carpet - scheduled for 6/17
- hang the screen - 6/19
- hang the PJ - 6/20. I'm not going to bother with the A-lens for MVP.
That puts MVP on 6/20! I'd like to hang the PJ in the morning and do a quick calibration and watch a movie (or three) in the evening. Right now I think carpet and the LilWreckers are going to be the long-pole on this. Carpet has a tendency to get rescheduled by the installers. LilWreckers are going to be tough. I've really only got one weekend to work on them, and there are some parts you just can't rush (e.g. the glue has to cure).