The Plains Theater - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 221Likes

post #2491 of 2518 Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
Format of the graph looks fine. What are the different plot lines? Different subs?

Each sweep is from one of the three front row listening positions.

I think you are correct about the modes, though. I believe the dip in the blue trace at 49 Hz is due to the 2-1-0 mode and the dip at 58 Hz is the 3-0-0 mode.

flipping the sub will address the tangential modes, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
@lilmike look! Paul ran a sweep! Progress!
I know, right! I need to get a game plan together for how I want to go about measuring the room. I may start a thread over in the theory forum.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2518 Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
baby steps. Focus on just getting some good measurements. If you have not even treated your room yet, but have a plan and material to do so, install that and see what happens. Once it's all done, then you can look to really tweak stuff.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2493 of 2518 Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah. Good point.

BTW, I'm digging this room mode calculator. I always have trouble visualizing the room modes compared to mode numbers because I don't look at it often enough.

post #2494 of 2518 Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Yeah. Good point.

BTW, I'm digging this room mode calculator. I always have trouble visualizing the room modes compared to mode numbers because I don't look at it often enough.
Does the plan indicate the subwoofer positions? Maybe a call to the designer and see what he says given your measurements.

I'm am barely above completely ignorant on the subject (stop using big words like tangental...) but in my cranium I would try to correct any issues first by speaker placement. After that I'm guessing you would treat the room to correct the response and finally tweak with DSP? I am asking more than making a statement.

I just don't know how the designer would know there is a 20dB dip unless the subwoofer locations were specified. Maybe it doesn't matter with LFE... just treat the hell out of the corners?

Tim
J_P_A likes this.
post #2495 of 2518 Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 187
This is a post from Mark that I'm sure most have read. A lot of good info here that's good to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
While responding to some questions in this thread over Sunday morning coffee I found myself with a decent summary on subwoofer optimization using Room EQ Wizard (REW) or other measurement systems like the Dayton OmniMic or XTZ Room Analyzer. This is by no means comprehensive, as we could flesh out many bullet points on a few of these items, but I thought it was a worthwhile summary to post up before I go ahead and organize the measurements and data on thebland's system that I'll be posting on my forum. This is a generalized post that won't apply to all systems depending on number of subwoofers, inclusion of manual subwoofer EQ, and features and functions of each surround processor.

To summarize some of my thoughts and experience, here's my suggestion for most attacking their system with REW and other measurement systems:

1. Take a subwoofer only measurement in your first subwoofer location while noting signal levels to the subwoofer and volume setting.
  2. Do NOT change any signal levels and start moving the subwoofer to any other possible locations saving a measurement at each location. The response should be louder or softer from different locations and you want to see this.
  3. Choose the location with the balance of fewest dips and most efficiency across the subwoofer range.
  4. If you have more than 1 subwoofer, pick locations that compliment eachother where dips do not overlap.
  5. With multiple subwoofers overlay individual responses and then measure both together driven at the same level to see how they sum. Maximum summation of 2 equal sources is +6dB. Unless there is a big peak, the goal is to get the sum to be +0-6dB and not negative. Moving the sub or adding delay to the closer sub is my preferred way to make this adjustment.
  6. If manually EQ'ing, now apply EQ to the subwoofer alone while also watching for peaks out to 120-200Hz that go above the target or above flat flat if no HP is in the measurement.
  7. Now run any auto-EQ/room correction.
  8. Measure the subwoofer alone and center channel alone, then the combination of the two.
  9. Make adjustments to the subwoofer distance setting, most often adding to the physically measured distance at 0-8ms.
  10. Choose the smoothest interaction and adjust the crossovers up or down if you see room for improvement.
  11. If you have separate EQ on the subwoofer you can sometimes improve a lumpy/peaky summation by adding a notch to the subwoofer around the crossover range. The benefit to dialog and music balance far outweighs a small dip to the LFE channel.
  12. Next compare the interaction with the left & right speakers making crossover setting and delay adjustments to get a best fit for both.
  13. The more you listen to movies & surround concerts, the more you should prioritize the center channel vs. left/right.
  14. Now measure what happens when you increase the subwoofer level by 3,6 and 9dB to understand what happens when raising the sub level.
  15. Do some listening and adjust the subwoofer level and/or shape to what you are after, and then re-measure subwoofer-center interaction to insure any ramping up in response you add is as smooth as practical.
  16. Enjoy!

There have been many times when people have asked "What does Mark do that an auto-EQ system or typical enthusiast can't?" when they hear people raving about the results after I get into setting up or adjusting a system for 3-12 hours. My answer is that anyone COULD do it, very few do. Few will take the time to gather all the measurements and learn how to manipulate what they see. I encourage more to be some of the few, or search them out to set up their system.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #2496 of 2518 Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 297
What are the temporal aspects of the measurement - sweep duration, gating, smoothing?

IIRC, you were not able to get raw outdoor measurements for these subs - so we should post Mike's data at the same settings so that we can begin to compare and tease out the influence of the room and placement.

Tim - I'd say your sequence works fine and is what I would have said a year or two ago, but at this point I would say that treatment is so tough below 80Hz - and given the minimum phase relationship of a sub and the response - eq is not a bad thing; if you have a good idea about your headroom, go ahead with eq, once location is pinned down, IMO.
Mfusick, Mr.Tim, J_P_A and 1 others like this.
post #2497 of 2518 Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
What are the temporal aspects of the measurement - sweep duration, gating, smoothing?
Didn't mean to ignore this. I just missed it. Unfortunately, I can't answer it either I'll have to go back and rerun the sweeps. I limited the end frequency to 200 Hz and only used 1 sweep. Aside from chaining the end frequency, I just used the defaults.

On another note, I installed Emby Server on my Unraid Server. Now I've just got to figure out how to know if it's working or not I've got an Asus Chromebox on order. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend and I can install OpenElec and Kodi.

post #2498 of 2518 Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
I finally ran my first set of sweeps! I've been putting this off because I don't have any DSP to correct any of the issues I find. That said, I decided to look at the low frequency end of things just to see if my suspicions about the room response were accurate.

First my caveats. This is the first time I've run a true sweep with REW (getting it to play nice on a MAC is not as straightforward as you might hope, but it's doable). I'm not sure what the standard ranges on the axes are, so these plots may be pretty useless for comparisons sake, but I thought I'd post them up anyway. I need to get MFusik off my back! These are sweeps from the three front row listening positions.

Assuming these sweeps were done correctly, it confirms my suspicions. There's a pretty bad dip in the response. I'm guessing a length mode. Fortunately I have a lot of space in the back corner for bass trapping as well as a planned baffle wall with even more trapping in the front. We'll get to see just how much that helps. I may be able to address some of that by shifting the subs a little, but I don't have a lot of room to move them.

Suggestions? I'm also open to guidance on the proper use of REW. I spent way more time getting it to actually output from my MAC than I did running these sweeps!
It's been awhile but your REW Mac guide is linked in Austin Jerry's setup guide right? If so it saved me in learning REW on my Mac. I had some good times learning (good 8 months). Until things did go south with numerous random weird things happening and i shut down my REW obsession the weekend I built my room treatments. Luckily I got my reflection panels up and was able to see them being tamed on the ETC graph. I did not get to see what my two measly 15x15 soffit style (square) bass traps did. All of the sudden my mic calibration went wacky and I tried to re calibrate the levels but essentially REW was telling me 55db pink noise was like 90db during the level calibration. I haven't been back since after that very frustrating weekend. Anyway I developed some great bass responses with a mini dsp running a few filters pre Audyssey XT32. One house curve was from 25ish HZ to 100 HZ with nearly a penciled straight line from one point to the other.

I havn't followed your thread consistently and don't remember what EQ you will be using?

Quote:
baby steps. Focus on just getting some good measurements. If you have not even treated your room yet, but have a plan and material to do so, install that and see what happens. Once it's all done, then you can look to really tweak stuff.
It's easy enough to place raw material where you plan and running sweeps for a quick idea how it will effect it. Rather than building treatments to a 100% finished state hoping they will work only to be disappointed.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #2499 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
It's been awhile but your REW Mac guide is linked in Austin Jerry's setup guide right? If so it saved me in learning REW on my Mac. I had some good times learning (good 8 months). Until things did go south with numerous random weird things happening and i shut down my REW obsession the weekend I built my room treatments. Luckily I got my reflection panels up and was able to see them being tamed on the ETC graph. I did not get to see what my two measly 15x15 soffit style (square) bass traps did. All of the sudden my mic calibration went wacky and I tried to re calibrate the levels but essentially REW was telling me 55db pink noise was like 90db during the level calibration. I haven't been back since after that very frustrating weekend. Anyway I developed some great bass responses with a mini dsp running a few filters pre Audyssey XT32. One house curve was from 25ish HZ to 100 HZ with nearly a penciled straight line from one point to the other.

I havn't followed your thread consistently and don't remember what EQ you will be using?

It's easy enough to place raw material where you plan and running sweeps for a quick idea how it will effect it. Rather than building treatments to a 100% finished state hoping they will work only to be disappointed.
Yep, that's me. Sorry to hear about your troubles with REW. I got the software to output noise through my AVR - put together the guide, took a few measurements of some fan noise, and haven't opened the software since - well, until now that is.

Hopefully it will keep playing nice with my MAC

post #2500 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I think you misunderstood me.

Paul already has some room treatments and plan, he's just not installed yet. He was expressing desire to measure before and after as well.

When the conversation started to go direction of tweaking and audio calibration, DIRAC and all that- My cautionary advice was wait on all that until you have something to work with.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2501 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On another note, I installed Emby Server on my Unraid Server. Now I've just got to figure out how to know if it's working or not I've got an Asus Chromebox on order. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend and I can install OpenElec and Kodi.
According to Amazon, my Chromebox should be here this week! Hopefully I can find time to get OpenElec and Kodi on it before the weekend.

Emby seems to be working as well. My file/folder names don't match the recommended the format, but it still seemed to recognize my media and scrape the correct data for the test set I ran. I may turn it loose on my full library and just see what happens. It sure would be nice not to have to rename everything. I could write a script to deal with most of it, but there would still be some manual name changes necessary.

post #2502 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
According to Amazon, my Chromebox should be here this week! Hopefully I can find time to get OpenElec and Kodi on it before the weekend.

Emby seems to be working as well. My file/folder names don't match the recommended the format, but it still seemed to recognize my media and scrape the correct data for the test set I ran. I may turn it loose on my full library and just see what happens. It sure would be nice not to have to rename everything. I could write a script to deal with most of it, but there would still be some manual name changes necessary.
Glad to hear you went with a chromebox. Let me know if you want that custom faceplate. If you need any help getting OpenElec installed just let me know.
post #2503 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
Glad to hear you went with a chromebox. Let me know if you want that custom faceplate. If you need any help getting OpenElec installed just let me know.
I definitely want the faceplate! I'll PM you.

post #2504 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me.

Paul already has some room treatments and plan, he's just not installed yet. He was expressing desire to measure before and after as well.

When the conversation started to go direction of tweaking and audio calibration, DIRAC and all that- My cautionary advice was wait on all that until you have something to work with.
I wasn't opposing. I was adding to your words of "If you have not even treated your room yet, but have a plan and material to do so, install that and see what happens." That its really easy to just set a bundle of insulation or 4 sheets or whatever thickness you plan on there and measure. Of course I have not follwed this build regularly but have it opened along with 18 other builds as I plan my own. I remember when I was building my ceiling panel (current Living room setup) for my 1st reflection points for LCR at the two prime seats I was undecided wheter 2 or 4 inches would suffice. I held a 2 inch raw peice of Roxul AFB there with one hand and a stick while I had my wife hit the button to run the sweep. A 10ms -5db reflection was instantly tamed to -18db. It was quite the exciting "nerd" moment as my wife would say

I know when I build my new room that I wont decide on Bass trap dimensions until I measure with some raw insulation first.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)

Last edited by jlpowell84; Yesterday at 12:00 PM.
post #2505 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, that's me. Sorry to hear about your troubles with REW. I got the software to output noise through my AVR - put together the guide, took a few measurements of some fan noise, and haven't opened the software since - well, until now that is.

Hopefully it will keep playing nice with my MAC
I really appreciate that guide though. It works well and helped me learn REW an optomize my system from raw sub measurement/placement all the way to installing room treatments. I will get going again on my new build in the future and will have the umik as I plan to go Dirac in case my CSL UMM-6 mic bugged out for any reason.
J_P_A likes this.

post #2506 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am an Intel NUC kind of guy but I think you'll like it
post #2507 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am an Intel NUC kind of guy but I think you'll like it
Looked at those, but they are a little pricey for a science project We'll see how this goes. I may pony up for a little more horse power if I like how this works.

post #2508 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the SSD cache on the OS and fast CPU. It keeps from getting sluggish. You'll just do what everyone else does and move the chrom box to another location. HTPC becomes addictive.
post #2509 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
.......HTPC becomes addictive.
Please don't call it that!!!! I've been down that road and didn't care for it, much. Too much continuous tweaking just to watch a movie. I'm hoping this will just play my movies without too much hassle. I don't mind the trouble of setting everything up, but then I want it to keep working the next time I try to watch a movie, or add another one to my library.

post #2510 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On another note, I installed Emby Server on my Unraid Server. Now I've just got to figure out how to know if it's working or not
Was this a serious question? Emby Theater runs in windows and will let you browse and play over your local network. Or feel free to give me the host IP and port and we can talk about getting me into your library.
post #2511 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Was this a serious question? Emby Theater runs in windows and will let you browse and play over your local network. Or feel free to give me the host IP and port and we can talk about getting me into your library.
You can share media libraries with media browser connect feature.

If you want to browse mine shoot me an email at mfusick@aol.com. I'll set you up. You can use a web browser for a test run.
post #2512 of 2518 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sort of. I'm having a hard time telling if emby is processing my library. Yesterday I created a temp directory. Pointed the server to it, and then waited. I told it to refresh, etc. etc., but there wasn't any sort of status indicator to show it was doing anything. The next morning, I opened emby up, and voila! There was the movie in my temp directory.

I'm having similar issues tonight. I pointed emby to my movie data base, hit the scan library button, and nothing....... No movies have magically appeared in my library, and there is no indication that it's doing anything. I can't tell if it's having trouble recognizing the path, or if it's doing something in the background.

EDIT: Looks like it may have something to do with my media folder being hidden. Not sue if there is a workaround for that or not. The path looks something like

/folder/folder/media/.Movies

I can browse the movies within the hidden folder, but it doesn't seem to be processing them.

Last edited by J_P_A; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.
post #2513 of 2518 Old Today, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

In my usage, I set Emby to monitor the folders for changes. If I add a file or folder, Emby has scanned it and added metadata within about 60 seconds. It's quick. I am good about the the naming convention, however - I'd say that could be the problem, but if the files are hidden in any way that is where I would start.
post #2514 of 2518 Old Today, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why hide movies ?
post #2515 of 2518 Old Today, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just hiding the folder. It kept it from showing up on the home screen of my Dune player. It just cluttered things up, and made the interface confusing. If I change the path, I will probably have to reenter the path to all my movies for my Dune player to keep working. That's currently our primary device for watching movies in the house.

post #2516 of 2518 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't hide it. Make a second mini folder for only EMBY if you want to play. In time that Dune player will be history anyways.

-

post #2517 of 2518 Old Today, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't hide it. Make a second mini folder for only EMBY if you want to play. In time that Dune player will be history anyways.
I'd like to get them to play nicely together. That may not happen, though. We'll see.

post #2518 of 2518 Old Today, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'd like to get them to play nicely together. That may not happen, though. We'll see.
If you have a small library it's cheap enough to just use a separate hard drive for one than the other or different folders on your server for each to draw from. @30$ per TB not totally crazy until you get a really big library and your cost goes up.

My server is bigger than your's that would not work for me

Explain the problem to me better, I might be able to help. The folder get's seen by the other machine, but not by emby right ?

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction