The Plains Theater - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #2521 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Way back when I set my server and media streamer up, ISOs were one of the few ways that could provide menus and lossless audio (IIRC). I don't remember the details anymore, but there were some issues with MKV that pushed me in the direction of ISOs. To begin with I did 1:1 transfers of the entire disc. I've moved away from that over the years, but I haven't taken the step to convert everything to MKV.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 616
I've been lost the last page and one-half...............with all these tech acronymns...........starting to feel like an ole' fuddy-duddy!
J_P_A and ambesolman like this.
post #2523 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I've been lost the last page and one-half...............with all these tech acronymns...........starting to feel like an ole' fuddy-duddy!
If the shoe fits.....

----

@ JPA just convert them man.

Use MakeMKV and run it right off the ISO you have.

I use ISO too. That's the duplicitous part of my server. I keep some around for menus and special effects or 3D. But everything is MKV first, and honestly I use MKV like 99.9% of the time.

Just rip the ISO to MKV, you can do it the same as if you rip a disc. I use MakeMKV program.

Then you should be ok.

Mediabrowser Theater (EMBY THEATER) does ISO btw, but you need a window build I think to set it up. KODI I don't know. I've always generally disliked KODI and XBMC, it's too blocky.

EMBY server + a ROKU with EMBY app. Simple. DONE.
That is what wife uses. It basically replaced the HTPC. (no ISO support though)

If I go the route of HTPC and installing OS and stuff, it better fly faster than superman. I also never got the forced subs figured out in XBMC, but it seemed to work pretty well with MB. I think at this point if I'm honest- I have not given the new KODI a fair shot. I never give it the time and learning curve it should get, so I never like it.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2524 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
If the shoe fits.....

----

@ JPA just convert them man.

Use MakeMKV and run it right off the ISO you have.

I use ISO too. That's the duplicitous part of my server. I keep some around for menus and special effects or 3D. But everything is MKV first, and honestly I use MKV like 99.9% of the time.

Just rip the ISO to MKV, you can do it the same as if you rip a disc. I use MakeMKV program.

Then you should be ok.

Mediabrowser Theater (EMBY THEATER) does ISO btw, but you need a window build I think to set it up. KODI I don't know. I've always generally disliked KODI and XBMC, it's too blocky.

If I go the route of HTPC and installing OS and stuff, it better fly faster than superman. I also never got the forced subs figured out in XBMC, but it seemed to work pretty well with MB. I think at this point if I'm honest- I have not given the new KODI a fair shot. I never give it the time and learning curve it should get, so I never like it.
Oh boy, here we go! What happened to I'll ditch my Dune player once I get this setup?

I've tried at least one mkv, and I got the same error. So I think I've got an issue somewhere else. I'd like to get this working before I change anything else.

post #2525 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Start from scratch. Make a folder on your server. Call it EMBY. Put in there a couple MKV's and a couple ISO's. Set EMBY server to use that library and scan it. Give it a day or so to do it's thing, test it out. What happens?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2526 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
This. If you are not using MadVR, SVP or doing other processing that would require a real computer horsepower a Roku 3 is perfect for just playing back movies. I had a small pc in my family room that has since been replaced by a Roku. It's cheap, easy to use and really never fails except for an occasional need to power cycle.
In my theater, I'm using JRiver on a dedicated PC with a video card to process MadVR, SVP and some of the other features in JRiver. It took some effort to get it set up, but has been running more or less untouched for a couple years now.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #2527 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So far I am liking Plex Server/ Plex Player, but I haven’t built much of a library up yet, so don't know if the User Interface gets a lot worse with tons more data.

The primary thing I have liked is how 'easy' it has been to set up through-out my house. I have 6 tvs + 1 projector, and all but one so far (haven’t checked the blu-ray player on that one), have had the Plex App available, so, it has been super easy to get set up and using through-out my home. Also, setting up our 3 cell phones and 4 ipads was similarly easy. We just bought a 65" Vizio tv last Wednesday, and when I turned it on, I connected to wifi (I haven't terminated my LAN cable yet)... download the plex app and I could stream from it with as much ease as a Netflix account, according to my wife's assessment. All other server/client programs may be the same, but this is the only one I have tried and I like it so far.

I have a ton of old DVDs already ripped to a hard drive, which I saved to a had drive as backups of my DVDs. I started converting those to .mkv, one at a time using makemkv, and figured out that was going to take a long time. Then a friend told me of this fancy knew tool on the World Wide Web, if I remember right it is called Google :-), so, I typed in ‘batch process mkv files', and on a makemkv forum found this tool:

http://www.makemkvbatch.com

I installed this yesterday and did two 'test runs' of about 20 files at a time, and those worked super easy. If you check the box of 'name file based on folder', it will name the .mkv file for you and this has worked pretty well for me so far. You can also choose if you keep the source file, or delete it after processing. My first two individual files, I added to the interface one at a time, and then processed... and processed both. I then tried making a "Test" folder, and putting the ~ 20 DVD file folders inside that one... then selected that folder, and all the DVD files came up - so, that was much easier.

I have found Plex fairly easy so far (other than trying to figure out my remote access through two routers... can't figure out the bridge on the first router yet... although, only tried for about 20 minutes). I have had a couple of metadata type issues, 6 Bullets is pulling up 6 Bullets to Hell, but I also named my file for this with a wrong year... and it happened to be the year 6 Bullets to Hell came out, so, partly user error.

I am not particularly tech savvy, so, part of my decision was based on my perception of 'commercially packaged' being easier to use, vs the more flexible Open Source type programs.
post #2528 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like plex. Use it too.
post #2529 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys!

I'm getting there..... slowly.

I've managed to get videos playing. I had to change my path substitutions as follows

from /mnt/user
to smb://MyServer/

I should have realized that was necessary to begin with.

Now, unfortunately, I have another problem. The video is stuttering and buffering badly! It's buffering more than it's playing at this point. Does anyone know how I can tell if emby is trying to transcode my files? I'd like for them to play directly from the ISOs rather than having my server (try to) transcode the files. It's way underpowered for that. Looking at my resource monitor it doesn't look like it's transcoding, but emby server doesn't seem to have much in the way of diagnostic tools.

post #2530 of 2532 Old 07-31-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What is the speed of your stuff? 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ?
I would not be surprised to see if you are stuck in slow poke land on your network.

Test it.

Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vru9i8m663...dTest.exe?dl=0

What you get? If it's 80/90/100MB per second you good. If it's 11.5MB per sec, you got problems.

-

post #2531 of 2532 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Off topic of Tech acronyms!

JPA, how much bracing does your volts have? What material thickness is used? I'm trying to get design of backer box to friend who has a CNC machine. Hoping to get away with 9ply Russian Baltic Birch.

Thanks
post #2532 of 2532 Old Today, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

On a box that size you'd probably have little to worry about. Bracing becomes serious concern every 10" or more span. I'd assume you'd have a new corner or boundary there on your box anyways. Just cut some basic strips out of the scraps and glue them in. You'll be fine. MDF makes better boxes becuase it's got less issues with resonance and it's consisently damped, some has to do with it being homogenous and manufactured. With ply there is less consistency and that can lead to problems acoustically if you are unlucky. But then again it might work out ok. I hate cabinet resonances becuase you can't EQ them, and your ears are extremely adept at hearing them.

I could hear a cabinet resonance over a same power or even louder room issue like a bad reflection much easier. You brain can to some extent ignore some things, but resonances it can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction