The Plains Theater - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 240Likes
post #2551 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I've had 1/2 an hour here and there to spend in my theater, and a chance to watch a couple movies with my wife and kids (it's easier to justify the time when the family is involved). It's been good to spend the time in the room. One thing of interest is I'm getting more and more comfortable with my surround layout. I was a little worried about the less well-know surround placement that I'm using - forward of the LP. However, I spent some time last night playing some of the deme scenes off the Reference 2 disc that was put together here on AVS. Mad props to those guys! Great tool for understanding your theater! Here's what I've learned:

Side effects are well placed. This is not much of a surprise as the you are more sensitive to sounds from slightly in front of you than behind you. A car or object moving off screen to the left or right really seems to move off the screen. It's a little more nuanced than the surround setups in my living room and living rooms past, but there is definitely room for improvement (I hope).

What I was more concerned about was that "envelopment" that everyone talks about. To be honest, I wasn't real sure what to expect. I've never really been too impressed those ambiance type scenes in commercial cinemas. E.g., It took me a while to figure out what the coca-cola intro - the one with the ice going in the glass then the coke afterwards - was supposed to be doing. When I finally figured it out, I was a bit let down. I was worried that having the sides in front of the LP would prevent me from "hearing" sounds behind me. That doesn't seem to be the case. I was particularly surprised with one of the music demos when the audience started clapping at the beginning. It sounded like they audience was all around me. I tried leaning forward in my chair to put the side surrounds behind me, but I really couldn't tell much difference.

I'll need to experiment a little more with playing surround effects and sitting in my LP vs moving forward a bit, but so far I'm happy.

Does anyone know of any good surround demo material? I think something that circles around the room as well as some audience clapping type material would be ideal.
doublewing11 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 317
One of the first scenes I remember getting that going in circles thing in the opening battle sequence in Gladiator. There's a whip or flail or something that goes around the audience. I know I was dealing with a cobbled together surround system, so maybe what I experienced wasn't actually on the disc - but it's worth a listen since you probably have it in your collection already. It's quick, and only happens once.
post #2553 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Does anyone know of any good surround demo material? I think something that circles around the room as well as some audience clapping type material would be ideal.
Legends of the Fall - Scene where Tristan is breaking the wild horse in the pen. Camera stays on Tristan while horse circles.

Contact - Scene where Jodi Foster is loaded into 'the machine'. The rings of the machine swirl all around and will pan from front-to-back and left-to-right depending on the camera angle. The previous 5 minutes to this scene below where she's walking the machine entry plank and getting buttoned up for launch:

Dolby Atmos demo disc - Play the "Leaf" trailer and the "Amaze" trailer. Both emphasize a full 360 surround field with either a bird or a Maple tree 'helicopter' seed circling around. Probably the best of the demos, but a little overcooked on the surrounds as most Dolby discs.

Last edited by TMcG; 08-10-2015 at 03:40 AM.
post #2554 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 341
That's something you don't hear very often on AVS - a recommendation for Legends of the Fall. Nice job TMcG!
BllDo likes this.
post #2555 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Legends of the Fall - Scene where Tristan is breaking the wild horse in the pen. Camera stays on Tristan while horse circles.

Contact - Scene where Jodi Foster is loaded into 'the machine'. The rings of the machine swirl all around and will pan from front-to-back and left-to-right depending on the camera angle. The previous 5 minutes to this scene where she's walking the machine entry blank and getting buttoned up for launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsJPSLKGJis

Dolby Atmos demo disc - Play the "Leaf" trailer and the "Amaze" trailer. Both emphasize a full 360 surround field with either a bird or a Maple tree 'helicopter' seed circling around. Probably the best of the demos, but a little overcooked on the surrounds as most Dolby discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUOBVfEuilY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GGw1cRg8i4
Wow......."Legends of the Fall" is one of my favorites.....have to check out.
post #2556 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Is there any way to get the Atmos demo disc? I thought You Tube only streams two-channel audio?

post #2557 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. Is there any way to get the Atmos demo disc? I thought You Tube only streams two-channel audio?
Mine is currently on loan to a fellow AVS-er in Texas, but I'll be happy to have it routed through Alabama on its way back to me. That disc has had more miles on it than I care to think about it!

I put the video links in so you can see what I was talking about in my comments. I couldn't find the Legends of the Fall clip, which is not surprising.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2558 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mine is currently on loan to a fellow AVS-er in Texas, but I'll be happy to have it routed through Alabama on its way back to me. That disc has had more miles on it than I care to think about it!
^^^^ That would be awesome, sir!

post #2559 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I put the video links in so you can see what I was talking about in my comments. I couldn't find the Legends of the Fall clip, which is not surprising.
Ah! I gotcha!.

I'm really surprised that Dolby and DTS don't put out demo material on their website. Seems like it would be good "advertising" so to speak.

post #2560 of 2560 Unread 08-09-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Hopefully this doesn't curse your disk, but your comment and this picture both came up in short order today. Love the title...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Netflick.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	878466  
J_P_A likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction