post #2671 of 2685 Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
And I think lightning struck my AVR. Major sadface!
This thread is an emotional roller coaster.

10+ years after wanting a HT...
5 years after creating this thread...
Construction of a new house to get the space...

You finally finished. Posted that you were enjoying the room. 9 hours later, in post 2,666 lightening strikes and kills your AVR.

I always imagined Walt as an AVS guy in this scene. Here is the AVS adaption:

Walt is down in his basement. It's a height challenged room, 8 years in the making.
But Erskine just called. The room is an epic fail... unless Walt has more money?
Walt did, but but his wife gave it all to Ted for soundproofing. She was thinking of the family.
But now Walt doesn't have enough money to pay Erskine. There is no hope and Walt loses it.
J_P_A likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2685 Old 07-11-2017, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Hahaha! Just have to take it in stride my friend. It sucks, but there are worse things that could happen. I'm just blessed to have the room..... even if it's just a quiet place to sit for now

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #2673 of 2685 Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Hahaha! Just have to take it in stride my friend. It sucks, but there are worse things that could happen. I'm just blessed to have the room..... even if it's just a quiet place to sit for now
Last night at 2 am, some dog started howling (it had escaped from its' owner), and was driving my dogs crazy... we went down to the soundproofed theater room, and slept there! Sometimes a quite place is just what you need!
J_P_A likes this.

post #2674 of 2685 Old 07-12-2017, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have any clever ideas for mounting four Volt 6 speakers to my ceiling for ATMOS? Right now I'm thinking about just using toggle bolts straight through the back of the speaker box.

post #2675 of 2685 Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 453
That's how I mounted my V10 - to the wall. Actually I used giant screws; I had to do some careful figuring to choose the right length to get enough thread into the wall without running straight through. There's no real danger in screws going all the way through, but I would be paranoid about drilling a hole big enough for a toggle.

In any case, I'm happy with having them "permanently" mounted. They feel super secure. I ended up pulling a driver from one the other day to check the wiring; that would probably require an assistant if the speaker was on the ceiling, but I'm pretty sure I'll do the same thing when I go to install Atmos speakers.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2676 of 2685 Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 116
What about industrial-grade Velcro? In theory it's removable, but it's definitely not going anywhere without some effort. I use it to hold my sub in place in my car; it's pretty tenacious.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2677 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Anyone have any clever ideas for mounting four Volt 6 speakers to my ceiling for ATMOS? Right now I'm thinking about just using toggle bolts straight through the back of the speaker box.
I would use these

with the combination of velcro. That's if you want to do minimal damage to the speaker cabinet. If that's not a concern, then a toggle bolt is a great idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hillman hangers.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	2233513  
post #2678 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was going to run a 2x4's perpendicular to the channels. Route out a channel for the speaker wires. Nyal's acoustic treatment plans are pretty extreme with clusters of 4" min depth treatments all over the ceiling. Every room is different, but I am starting to see some similarities. If your AT plan looks anything like mine, a black painted 2x4 at the edge of a cluster of ceiling treatment won't be especially noticeable. At least that is what I am thinking. Then mount whatever pan, tilt, rotate speaker mount you want.

This is what JBL recommends for their 25lb 708 speakers. I am not sure how heavy the Volts are. That mount may be overkill for them or ceiling. But just to give you an idea. http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/0491...s-MM-022-BLACK
J_P_A likes this.

post #2679 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@rsvr79 , I'm a little concerned about the weight of the things. I think Velcro would hold the weight, but I would still have to figure out a way to attach the velcro to the ceiling. I don't think glue or adhesive will work because it will just peel the top layer of paper off.

Thanks for the link, @rabident . I think the problem is still going to be attaching it to the drywall.

@JVoth , what am I looking at? I'm guessing one of those goes on the ceiling, the other on the speaker, and they slide together? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

@HopefulFred , what sort of screws did you use? I used screws and PL for attaching 2x2's to my ceilings for soffits, but I felt pretty good about it being a distributed load, and I was a fairly confident I was hitting channel. For this, it's a pretty small footprint, and I'm not sure I'll end up being on a channel, which is why I was thinking about toggle bolts. Those have their own problems, though.

Any other ideas for the fasteners to attach the speaker/bracket/velcro to the ceiling?

post #2680 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 152
yep. Like a small metal french cleat. Sort of. That's how my on wall surrounds are attached.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2681 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link, @rabident . I think the problem is still going to be attaching it to the drywall
I was saying attach the 2x4 to the ceiling, screwing through the drywall and into at least 2 pieces of channel. If you have channel running North/South 24" apart, then maybe a ~4' long 2x4. Then you can screw the speaker mount into that 2x4 anywhere you want like a stud.

Imagine the green line in the pic below is a 2x4 attached to the ceiling. It's hard to see, but he has a speaker nestled in the ceiling treatments. So I was going to run a 6' long 2x4 along the front of the cluster (green line). Attach the mounting bracket to the 2x4. Speaker to the bracket. Then rotate/tilt/swivel to match the angles in the plan.

From MLP, I think the 1.5" thickness of a 2x4 will be occluded by the ceiling treatments.

I was going to do similar for the bed surrounds & slat panels. Basically attach backer boards on the front of the drywall, large enough to screw into channel, then attach whatever I need to the wood. Or maybe I am way over complicating things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AT implementation.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	2234289  
J_P_A likes this.

post #2682 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I keep forgetting how big that room of your is! How's progress coming on it?

That's a good idea. I talked to Ted at the soundproofing company just to get a second opinion on the weight, and he even mentioned adding a piece of MDF or something to span a couple of the channels. I may end up going that route, but I'm not sure about the aesthetic. Of course, these speakers are going to look enormous stuck to my ceiling, anyway. So I don't know that I need to be too worried about the extra piece of MDF.

post #2683 of 2685 Old 07-13-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
what sort of screws did you use?
They are large structural screws - I'm having trouble coming up with a good link or image. The Wal-mart website has FastenMaster TimberLOK structure screws that look like the same I got at Lowes. I bought them in the loose bins of screws and bolts in the hardware section. I guess it made more sense to me because I have the OSB as the first layer in all my walls and - it was just a matter of choosing the right screw the get the threads into the OSB. That said, it's a very coarse thread and probably has a lot of holding power in drywall. I'd probably use at least three in that case. In my case (on the wall and into OSB) I went with 2 with washers straight through the back of the speaker cabinet.
J_P_A likes this.
post #2684 of 2685 Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot you had a layer of OSB back there. That would certainly have mad life easier!

post #2685 of 2685 Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My new AVR made it. I picked up a refurb Marantz 7703. I've had mixed luck with refurbs. The AVR that just got cooked was a refurb as well. Right out of the box that AVR had a buzzing that I had to send it off to be fixed. Nothing like having a new toy that doesn't work when you open it up.

Knock on wood, this one is working. It's actually a pretty big step up. This new unit is a 7.2.4 ATMOS processor with balanced outputs (or more likely pseudo-balanced). That resulted in a good deal more rework than I was expecting. It did give me a chance to clean up my wiring a bit. It's still tough to tell what goes to where in the back, but I can at least get stuff in and out back there again. Also, the new AVR is a tad taller than my old one as well, so my Middle Atlantic shelf with the Marantz faceplate doesn't work with this one. Though I'm not sure I'm going to worry about it since my Frankenstein rack will never win any awards, anyway.

No I just have to find time to recalibrate everything. I turned it on long enough to make sure I had sound and video. I ran the XT32 calibration, but it had the speaker distances way off (like 30' off), so I didn't spend much time listening to anything.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5004Rev.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2242017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5002Rev.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	2242025  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page