Another Erskine-designed masterpiece (if I don't screw it up). - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #331 of 450 Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Congratulations! I remember seeing these drawings from Dennis when we were discussing some details of the loudspeaker configuration with him. I thought then that this design looked really good, but now I can see it has become a very comfortable and cozy room indeed.
So, with three Procella P815, two P18 subs and P6 surrounds, calibrated to state-of-the-art: How does it sound?? Is the result different than you were expecting? Any surprises?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 450 Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Looks great. I especially like the mix of seating. While it loses some of the classic theater look, it provides a very inviting, family-friendly setting.

I am jealous of your hush box. Projector noise is something I have to figure out in my room.

Enjoy!!!
post #333 of 450 Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM

Looks great! I really like the ceiling and the overall attention to the lighting details.

Mark
post #334 of 450 Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Liked: 148
Very nice, LOVE it! The only thing I see that you screwed up with is that you built it in the wrong house...
post #335 of 450 Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
+1 on the seating, the mix of seating just perfect for me. Also, the overall aesthetic, the space's proportions seem ideal in the pics.

I'm w/Gerben, what are your subjective views of the audio side of things? Let's hear it! Either invite everyone of us over there, or start talking...

Seriously, congrats, ....I'm sure the actual feeling it elicits can't entirely be put into words.

Best of luck, one of my faves.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #336 of 450 Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

So, with three Procella P815, two P18 subs and P6 surrounds, calibrated to state-of-the-art: How does it sound?? Is the result different than you were expecting? Any surprises?

Gerben, thanks for the compliments on the room. I have been hesitant to comment on audio or video because I am just a newbie. What do I know? My thought was -- what does anyone care what a guy who hasn't heard other high-end gear think? And if Dennis Erskine and Adam Pelz are impressed with them, what else does someone need to know?

But just for grins, I will give you my novice two cents.

General impression: HOLY S#%*!!! They are everything that Dennis described. Very dynamic. Loud. Clear. Enveloping. They fill up the room and sound very similar across different seating positions.

Dialogue is amazingly clear. We have watched movies that we had already seen several times and noticed dialogue that we had never heard before (quiet whispers or dialogue off screen). The clarity is captivating. Everyone wants speakers that are loud, and believe me, these are. But I think I enjoy the quite scenes just as much so that I can listen for the details that they elicit.

But perhaps the best part is the bass. I have never heard (or felt) anything like it. The bass is so accurate and vivid that you feel it to the core. Iron Man, Star Wars, Thor, Captain America all amazing. Makes me never want to go to a commercial theater again.

Then there is the combination of speakers with the room. It is really cool to experience the things that Dennis described to me a year and a half ago. You can play them loud, but your ears don't hurt. When they are loud, they are still clear and articulate. And you can talk to others in the room (not that you should) and they can hear you without shouting.

So, what does all of that mean to a more discerning listener? Probably nothing. But for my novice ears, I am EXTREMELY happy.
post #337 of 450 Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Hey KBlaw - very nice result! One question regarding your projector hush box....it looks like the design is a force-ventilated system with remotely powered in-line fans. To this end, I didn't see any optical grade glass or projector "viewport" that covers the projection port in front of the projector. Is this the case? Is it open to the room and this functions as the cold air intake? Just curious.
post #338 of 450 Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Hey KBlaw - very nice result! One question regarding your projector hush box....it looks like the design is a force-ventilated system with remotely powered in-line fans. To this end, I didn't see any optical grade glass or projector "viewport" that covers the projection port in front of the projector. Is this the case? Is it open to the room and this functions as the cold air intake? Just curious.

The box is closed to the room and has optical grade glass in the front removable frame. Air is taken in through a diffuser on the right side of the box and pulled out with a cool cube that is in the box, and then vented into the returns for the HVAC system. It is a great design (from Dennis) and completely eliminates all noise from the projector.

Here are some old photos of the build process:

post #339 of 450 Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Absolutely beautiful room! Had to post here to bookmark it for future reference.
post #340 of 450 Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Great work! I was wondering how this would look once it was done. I love the curved tiered rows and seating. I wanted a 3rd row in the back too with a "bartop" style but ran out of space. Again, nice job!
post #341 of 450 Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the compliments on the room. It is especially nice to have some of the people whos rooms I have followed or researched chime in along the way. There are some really knowledgable and helpful people here.

As I have said many, many times on this thread, Dennis deserves almost all of the credit. His initial design was perfect for me, but we could not have pulled it off if he had not held my hand through the project for the last year and a half. He was great to work with and I was very lucky to have some AVSers guide me to him early on.
post #342 of 450 Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 AM

Liked: 13
Kris,

Great home theater! I am sure it sounds as good as it looks. Congratulations!biggrin.gif

Jim
post #343 of 450 Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Just an incredible home theater all around. From room design to equipment used I knew Dennis wouldn't disappoint! Once I get my inheritance I'm calling Mr. Erskine.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #344 of 450 Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Just an incredible home theater all around. From room design to equipment used I knew Dennis wouldn't disappoint! Once I get my inheritance I'm calling Mr. Erskine.

Sure, call Dennis. I see how it is. tongue.gif

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #345 of 450 Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 12
Not that your not a great photographer but have you considered hiring a professional photographer to showcase your media room? These guys who know how to use their camera's can really bring a room as beautiful as yours to light. A photographer was shooting the exterior elevations of our home and by chance I asked him to take a few shots of the media room. I am certainly glad I did as the photos came out fantastic. Glad you are enjoying your room. We spend every evening in ours.
post #346 of 450 Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Safe to say at this point: you definitely didn't screw it up! Fantastic looking room.
post #347 of 450 Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Not that your not a great photographer but have you considered hiring a professional photographer to showcase your media room?
We have one of the best interiors photographers in the country on standby as soon as client is ready. (He just finished shooting our project in the Caribbean...)

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #348 of 450 Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

Not that your not a great photographer but have you considered hiring a professional photographer to showcase your media room?

I am working on getting that done with Dennis. The hold up has been that we also want to have other photos of our new house done at the same time, but the house is currently only about 50% furnished. I don't quite understand how the media room took such priority over finishing the rest of the house??? wink.gif

Hopefully we will be ready later this summer.
post #349 of 450 Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

I don't quite understand how the media room took such priority over finishing the rest of the house??? wink.gif

You laugh, but after discussing our plans we decided to just tear the whole house down rather than get stuck with a low basement height and beam intrusion. Might actually cost the same and take a month's less time.
post #350 of 450 Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Great Theater! I Love it!
any chance you could post some pics of the Equipment Racks, and some behind the scenes stuff, like wiring to patch pannels, and networking and such?
thanks!
post #351 of 450 Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post

I am working on getting that done with Dennis. The hold up has been that we also want to have other photos of our new house done at the same time, but the house is currently only about 50% furnished. I don't quite understand how the media room took such priority over finishing the rest of the house??? wink.gif
Hopefully we will be ready later this summer.

I under-estimated the time it takes to shoot good pictures. We ended up with 4 sessions between the house and the media room. The photographer insisted on taking day and night time photos and I am really glad we did. It was nice because he was local and I could call him back anytime I wanted more pictures. Sounds like Dennis is bringing someone in from out of town. You have an outstanding media room and it deserves to get some great photos. Hope you plan to post the pictures of the home as well. It is always nice to see other peoples homes.
post #352 of 450 Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

I under-estimated the time it takes to shoot good pictures. We ended up with 4 sessions between the house and the media room. The photographer insisted on taking day and night time photos and I am really glad we did.

Thanks for the advice. I enjoyed watching your build as it progressed. You have an awesome and unique room. And your house ain't too shabby either! wink.gif
post #353 of 450 Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Really enjoyed reading this thread! You have a beautiful room. If I might ask.

What are the scones and where did you purchase them?
post #354 of 450 Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J. Davis View Post

What are the scones and where did you purchase them?

The brand is Hubbardton Forge. The model is called "Ono."
post #355 of 450 Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
KB-

A quick question. the sconces. Did you run wires into a gang box and attach the sconces to that, cutting out where the fabric was. Or did you just use some blocking behind the fabric to fasten to and just running the wire to the sconce. I ask because I am going over my options on my sconces. I am not doing the false wall inside the bubble like you did, so if i make any penetrations it degredates soundproofing. I was going to run the 14/2 through the soffit and then drop it down into the top of my columns and the sconces are on the face of the columns. Thanks.
post #356 of 450 Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

KB-
Did you run wires into a gang box and attach the sconces to that, cutting out where the fabric was. Or did you just use some blocking behind the fabric to fasten to and just running the wire to the sconce.

We mounted boxes on the wall and then did 2" blocking around them that we could mount the sconces to. The pictures of what they looked like are in this post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339780/another-erskine-designed-masterpiece-if-i-dont-screw-it-up/180#post_21499043
post #357 of 450 Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Thanks.
post #358 of 450 Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol! I would for sure call you Shawn!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #359 of 450 Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Sure, call Dennis. I see how it is. tongue.gif

Shawn the Kuro still looks great BTW!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #360 of 450 Old 09-23-2012, 12:56 AM

From the picture in page2, I found some P6 procella buit in the wall.
Why you did it? because I think it's a weak point in the wall that let's the sound getting outside.

What's the method to eliminate the sound that go through your air-condition tube in the ceiling?

thank you.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page