Another Erskine-designed masterpiece (if I don't screw it up). - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #451 of 480 Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150906_183756_1441804108374.jpg
Views:	2566
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	931186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 480 Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2665

^^^^^

[img] + [/img] tags
post #453 of 480 Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Would you be willing to give a demo of your theater?

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #454 of 480 Old 09-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This thread just took it to the next level!!
post #455 of 480 Old 09-10-2015, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Going ATMOS

Hello friend . . . .

Been a little while since I've posted anything here. But now I think we've got something worth while.

I started talking with Dennis Erskine in the spring this year about potential upgrades to the theater. I figured since CEDIA is going to be in my backyard this year, now would be a good time. Apparently, Dennis and his group have been doing a lot of experimentation and testing with immersive audio technology and design. So after several conversations with him, I decided to take the plunge into Atmos, Auro, DTS: X.

Dennis' plan calls for the addition of 9 of these Triad speakers http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icm8lcr.html to the ceiling driven by a 24 channel Trinnov Altitude. Steve and his assistant, Caleb, came in this week to head up the remodeling and install the speakers. Adam Pelz is scheduled to come in next week to fire up the Trinnov and amps and do full audio calibration.

To say I am excited would be a massive understatement!

Here are some pics:

I will try to post some more pics as we finish up. Then in October, the great Scott Wilkinson is going to stop by for a visit and shoot a video of the finished product. You can read more about that here Do You Have a Dedicated Home Theater in Dallas, TX?
post #456 of 480 Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Just awesome! I look forward to your opinions and feedback, Adam is a wizard, I've heard his rooms. He's probably calibrated more ATMOS theaters at this point than anyone... you should be very pleased. Your theater will be exceptional.
post #457 of 480 Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Steve finished up yesterday and the speakers look great. (Steve is really a master craftsman. Soooo precise in his work). Too bad the nine of them aren't hooked up yet and they just sit there taunting me.

Here are some pics from my cell phone:

post #458 of 480 Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 562
It would be so nice to have that kind of ceiling height for Atmos. Your theater always looked great in the pictures, and while I am sure that it sounded great as well, the upgrade to Atmos will make it even better. Congrats!
post #459 of 480 Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 75
[QUOTE=KBlaw2010;37210130]Steve finished up yesterday and the speakers look great. (Steve is really a master craftsman. Soooo precise in his work). Too bad the nine of them aren't hooked up yet and they just sit there taunting me.

Patience! I will be there in just a couple days to get them making noise. Pink noise, sweeps, pops etc...but eventually I will play something musical through them.

Adam

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Master ARCOS Calibrator, Cedia Designer, HAA Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
post #460 of 480 Old 09-11-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
It would be so nice to have that kind of ceiling height for Atmos. Your theater always looked great in the pictures, and while I am sure that it sounded great as well, the upgrade to Atmos will make it even better. Congrats!
This room has been one of my favorites for awhile. The room dimensions, seating and speaker placements, solid acoustical treatment, and quality gear all added up to a fantastic result. And exactly nickbuol, the available height will certainly give Atmos a solid chance. It makes me finally want to break down and start digging out the concrete in my theater lab... Looking forward to next week!

Adam

Master ARCOS Calibrator, Cedia Designer, HAA Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
post #461 of 480 Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Just awesome! I look forward to your opinions and feedback, Adam is a wizard, I've heard his rooms. He's probably calibrated more ATMOS theaters at this point than anyone... you should be very pleased. Your theater will be exceptional.
Heh, thanks Mfusick. Your check is on the way!

post #462 of 480 Old 09-13-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow! Amazing! Your theater is one of my favorite theaters ever posted here. It just keeps getting better!
post #463 of 480 Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlaw2010 View Post
Hello friend . . . .

Steve and his assistant, Caleb, came in this week to head up the remodeling and install the speakers. Adam Pelz is scheduled to come in next week to fire up the Trinnov and amps and do full audio calibration.

To say I am excited would be a massive understatement!

[/URL]
Caleb does all the work, Steve just barks orders.

I've read some negative comments on AVS concerning the sonic characteristics of compression drivers in general. I'd attribute this to personal preference, however I've also read a comment that they degrade over time. I've had P8's for a couple of months and really like them, I was wondering if you are still happy with your Procella's and if you have noticed any changes .

I noticed your new ceiling speakers start at the front row and move forward. I'm interested in how that sounds when Adam is done. BTW if he's looking for his 1/4 inch nut driver, it's not lost, just misplaced.

You have an amazing theater!

Regards,
John
post #464 of 480 Old 09-15-2015, 06:37 AM

I would excersise caution on grouping all compression drivers together; that is no more valid than saying all soft dome speakers sound the same.

Obviously some are better and some are worse than others.

Harshness is often a byproduct of SPL and bright top end, and since compression drivers like to go loud I can certainly see that stereotype. Some of the stereotype likely comes from PA style speakers that use CD,s and where reliability and output are prioritized over smooth HIFI sound by design.

I used to think I liked "bright" speakers. I've even said as much on the forums. Then I learned to measure and started measuring and turns it I didn't have a clue what I really liked. Imagine that. Haha.

It's true I do like "bright" speakers but only for short demos and low volumes does that preference hold true. I've slowely realized that for louder volumes and longer time (2 hour+ movie) I don't at all. I like it flatter, and where distance naturally attenuates the top a bit. Fatigue and "harshness was one of the things that was improved too. That's one of the problems with subjective feedback from GTG events and short demos and lack of accurate measurements of the manufacturers, the options are less accurate with reality because they are based on a short and unique situation while anechoic speaker measurements will apply to all owners of those speakers.

I think here's a lot of speakers on the market that are a bit bright on top and that might show well in a short demo, or moderate volume, but will also be fatigueing or harsh at high volumes. I can think of a few popular ones where this is somewhat true. I don't think that's true for you though, and you have a secret weapon (Adam) to set it up right.

Soft domes are smooth, but they also don't generally get as loud too. So there's that battle of smoothness vs volume and the effect volume has on perceived harshness. At a low volume most people don't hear the top end very well so a little boost could be prefered but as the volume increases so does the ability to hear and at some point it can be too much. Speakers about about accuracy, too much of something isn't accurate.
post #465 of 480 Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 81
^^^Thanks, makes sense.

I would have thought higher frequency fatigue would not be a problem during movies as those types of frequencies I would assume are short lived and not that prevalent. It's probably just that my ancient ears roll off naturally.

Thanks again, I appreciate the info and apologies to KB for the thread creep.

Regards,
John
post #466 of 480 Old 09-15-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post
^^^Thanks, makes sense.

I would have thought higher frequency fatigue would not be a problem during movies as those types of frequencies I would assume are short lived and not that prevalent. It's probably just that my ancient ears roll off naturally.

Thanks again, I appreciate the info and apologies to KB for the thread creep.
Boosting the freq you can't hear doesn't always mean you can hear them better, it just bothers the kids and dog

My hearing rolls off about 17khz, I was professionally tested recently. 18khz is ever so faint at very loud volumes, but I wouldn't say I can hear it. 20khz = nope. I'm 37. I was tested a year ago, it might even be worse today... Age doesn't make it better.

You are correct.

Many can't hear the top octave well, especially older men, and the content up there is really scarce compared to the midrange and bass regions. Music is the same story, there is much less content way up there. I once ran a low pass filter at 15khz on my DSP setting and surprisingly most songs sounded the same. That was a cool test, and it opened my eyes to the idea I might not care if my speaker rolled off at 18khz. There was once a time in audio when everyone chased freq response specs and some high number but I think practically speaking many more people today understand the matter better. Most PA style speakers and concerts roll off really soon, and many people don't even notice or complain. Live music almost never has content up there.

But luckily you can measure The mic can hear 20khz just fine. Just because I can't hear something doesn't mean I don't want it, my kids probably can so full range is good.

Shawn claims to be superman with his hearing. I have yet to see the evidence
post #467 of 480 Old 09-15-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I would exercise caution on grouping all compression drivers together; that is no more valid than saying all soft dome speakers sound the same.

Obviously some are better and some are worse than others.

Harshness is often a byproduct of SPL and bright top end, and since compression drivers like to go loud I can certainly see that stereotype. Some of the stereotype likely comes from PA style speakers that use CD,s and where reliability and output are prioritized over smooth HIFI sound by design.

I used to think I liked "bright" speakers. I've even said as much on the forums. Then I learned to measure and started measuring and turns it I didn't have a clue what I really liked. Imagine that. Haha.

It's true I do like "bright" speakers but only for short demos and low volumes does that preference hold true. I've slowly realized that for louder volumes and longer time (2 hour+ movie) I don't at all. I like it flatter, and where distance naturally attenuates the top a bit. Fatigue and "harshness was one of the things that was improved too. That's one of the problems with subjective feedback from GTG events and short demos and lack of accurate measurements of the manufacturers, the options are less accurate with reality because they are based on a short and unique situation while anechoic speaker measurements will apply to all owners of those speakers.

I think here's a lot of speakers on the market that are a bit bright on top and that might show well in a short demo, or moderate volume, but will also be fatiguing or harsh at high volumes. I can think of a few popular ones where this is somewhat true. I don't think that's true for you though, and you have a secret weapon (Adam) to set it up right.

Soft domes are smooth, but they also don't generally get as loud too. So there's that battle of smoothness vs volume and the effect volume has on perceived harshness. At a low volume most people don't hear the top end very well so a little boost could be preferred but as the volume increases so does the ability to hear and at some point it can be too much. Speakers about about accuracy, too much of something isn't accurate.
This matches perfectly with my experience. Two years of searching for speakers and listening to almost everything, really brought home to me the importance of fatigue free speakers. Dome tweeters at high volume simply can't do it. Short demos can be very misleading.

Cheers,
post #468 of 480 Old 09-18-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post
I've read some negative comments on AVS concerning the sonic characteristics of compression drivers in general. I'd attribute this to personal preference, however I've also read a comment that they degrade over time. I've had P8's for a couple of months and really like them, I was wondering if you are still happy with your Procella's and if you have noticed any changes .
I am far from an expert, so take my opinion for what it is worth. I haven't taken any measurements or done any A to B comparisons, but I can tell you that I am still thrilled with the way the Procellas sound. They are very clear and dynamic, but do not cause the ear fatigue that some people describe about other speakers. It was definitely one equipment choice that we got right. . . .
Peter M and Mfusick like this.
post #469 of 480 Old 09-18-2015, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Update . . . .

Adam has been working HARD. 12 hour days. The old equipment rack was not big enough. We had to deconstruct it and completely rebuild a new one.

Photo of new rack with all of its Atmos/ Auro/ DTS: X glory installed:

Adam should be wrapping up calibration this morning. Hoping to view my first Atmos movie in the HT tonight!
lovingdvd, Mfusick and Patzig like this.
post #470 of 480 Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
OK, nearly a month since you teased us with "Hoping to view my first Atmos movie in the HT tonight!"........

....and we still don't know your impressions.

We can guess though!
post #471 of 480 Old 10-14-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've spent 100's of hours reading through this forum with pages and pages of notes for my eventual home theater build. But man... This one takes the cake. All around AMAZING job.

I'm actually not too far from you (I live in Southlake) but I would be afraid to ever actually hear your theater. It would make anything I eventually do be somewhat of a letdown
post #472 of 480 Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
OK, nearly a month since you teased us with "Hoping to view my first Atmos movie in the HT tonight!"........

....and we still don't know your impressions.

We can guess though!
Sorry, been a busy month. . .

Good news is Scott Wilkinson is coming over this Sunday to shoot a video for AVS Home Theater of the Month, so there will be lots of info and explanation there once it gets uploaded to AVS. Long story-short (although I am no expert), listening to Atmos mastered material with the Trinnov setup is a total game changer.
markrubin likes this.
post #473 of 480 Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Congrats on HTOTM. Not exactly unexpected, and certainly well deserved!

Looking forward to seeing Scott's video.

Your theatre is the inspiration for my own, far more modest, design. They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
post #474 of 480 Old 11-09-2015, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I may have missed this but, did Scott's video ever get posted somewhere?
post #475 of 480 Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
I'd also like to know....I haven't seen the video....please share link.
post #476 of 480 Old 01-27-2016, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

post #477 of 480 Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Congrats on the HT of the month.
post #478 of 480 Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 322
HTOM!! Well deserved!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
post #479 of 480 Old 01-27-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I've always thought this is one of the best looking rooms I've seen. Congrats!!
post #480 of 480 Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
$150,000 - holy crap! But does look awesome, and I am sure it beyond awesome. Congratulations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction