Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 518 Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I dropped in on Peter's place in Saturday. House is amazing and the theatre room, whilst not as cavernous as it was, sure is large. Can't wait to see and hear those Procellas when they are in. Cheers Peter and congrats on the new home!

Follow my thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 518 Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi Greg,

Good to see you again and a pleasure to show you around ... thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully next time I'll be able to sit and relax over a few beers ... everything seems so rushed at the moment. And thanks for the bottle of bubbly ... very much appreciated !

Cheers,
post #273 of 518 Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Most welcome Peter,
You should be incredibly proud of your home. Such amazing attention to detail. Your room is going to be really amazing. Give me a yell if I can help with anything.... Think I owe you some days of hard labour!

Follow my thread here
post #274 of 518 Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any recent pics?
post #275 of 518 Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Any recent pics?

No ... I need to pull my finger out and take some. Moving into a shiny new house was supposed to be easy but I've ended up with a list of DIY jobs as long as my arm !!

Progress in the theatre has been slow, but at least all the speakers are unboxed and in the room. At least half have been installed, but I wasted a good chunk of the weekend trying to terminate the XLRs for the subs ... my soldering sucks !!! I've now ordered some Neutrik crimp on XLRs that I hope will solve my problems. Also found some crimp on DB9s which should help with serial control cables.

A fair bit of gear is in the racks ... waiting on the amps and EQs and then it'll be alive ! Also waiting for the theatre Sonos box, Foxtel box, and I've got to decide between Popcorn Hour and Dune.

Cheers,
post #276 of 518 Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

No ... I need to pull my finger out and take some. Moving into a shiny new house was supposed to be easy but I've ended up with a list of DIY jobs as long as my arm !!

Progress in the theatre has been slow, but at least all the speakers are unboxed and in the room. At least half have been installed, but I wasted a good chunk of the weekend trying to terminate the XLRs for the subs ... my soldering sucks !!! I've now ordered some Neutrik crimp on XLRs that I hope will solve my problems. Also found some crimp on DB9s which should help with serial control cables.

A fair bit of gear is in the racks ... waiting on the amps and EQs and then it'll be alive ! Also waiting for the theatre Sonos box, Foxtel box, and I've got to decide between Popcorn Hour and Dune.

Cheers,

Hey Pete,

It took me at least 6 months after I moved into my new home to get through all the little DIY jobs and a fair few drops of blood as well. In fact last night I managed to spill blood splicing cat 5 cable and IR emitters. I know a good landscaper if you still have to do that job.

I've got a Popcorn Hour (the old one) and a Dune. I found the Popcorn Hour a bit flaky but it's the non BD-streaming one. The Dune is better but for some reason it doesn't get on with my Lumagen video scaler for 12-bit video (Deep colour). It works perfectly without the scaler in the way though and works fine with the scaler using the default 8-bit HD video. If you're planning to stream BD content, make sure you go Gigabit Ethernet or it'll be choppy as hell.

Cheers,
Jamie

HAA Level II
ISF Certified
Oz Audio Exorcists
post #277 of 518 Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Peter - I've got a Dune, you can come and play with if you like

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #278 of 518 Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post

Hey Pete,

It took me at least 6 months after I moved into my new home to get through all the little DIY jobs and a fair few drops of blood as well. In fact last night I managed to spill blood splicing cat 5 cable and IR emitters. I know a good landscaper if you still have to do that job.

I've got a Popcorn Hour (the old one) and a Dune. I found the Popcorn Hour a bit flaky but it's the non BD-streaming one. The Dune is better but for some reason it doesn't get on with my Lumagen video scaler for 12-bit video (Deep colour). It works perfectly without the scaler in the way though and works fine with the scaler using the default 8-bit HD video. If you're planning to stream BD content, make sure you go Gigabit Ethernet or it'll be choppy as hell.

Cheers,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

6 months !! Arrrggghhh !!!

Thankfully the landscaping is done ... those blokes really know how to stir up the dirt and dust ... very happy we weren't in while it was being done !

Network through the house is gigabit and our network guy put in an enterprise grade router to deal with the number of devices we have, and two separate wireless access points ... seems very solid so far. We're getting around 18-19Mbps through the cable modem.

I've seen the PCH in action, and there's a local guy who sells and supports them which is good. Who sells Dune locally ? I'll probably have a look at Peter's Dune and Greg's PCH before I choose. Apparently Dune has just raised prices which seems odd.

Cheers,
post #279 of 518 Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Peter - I've got a Dune, you can come and play with if you like

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the offer. It'd be useful to see your Dune and Greg's PCH back to back. What interface are you using ?

Cheers,
post #280 of 518 Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Hi Peter,
Need some advice regarding speaker purchase for my theater. I am trying to send you a pm but it is not going. Is there any other way to contact you.
thank you
Regards
Vik
post #281 of 518 Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopdoc View Post

Hi Peter,
Need some advice regarding speaker purchase for my theater. I am trying to send you a pm but it is not going. Is there any other way to contact you.
thank you
Regards
Vik

Hi Vik,

Just checked my PMs and there's plenty of space so I'm not sure why it's not going. I'll try sending you one.

Cheers,
post #282 of 518 Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much. Got the pm and replied to it!
post #283 of 518 Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Hi Jamie,

6 months !! Arrrggghhh !!!

Thankfully the landscaping is done ... those blokes really know how to stir up the dirt and dust ... very happy we weren't in while it was being done !

Network through the house is gigabit and our network guy put in an enterprise grade router to deal with the number of devices we have, and two separate wireless access points ... seems very solid so far. We're getting around 18-19Mbps through the cable modem.

I've seen the PCH in action, and there's a local guy who sells and supports them which is good. Who sells Dune locally ? I'll probably have a look at Peter's Dune and Greg's PCH before I choose. Apparently Dune has just raised prices which seems odd.

Cheers,

6 months = me very particular and also I have this problem where I redo everything if I see a better way halfway through the job. I also did part of the theatre in that time (the bits I wasn't willing to pay someone to do or I didn't trust them to do it how I wanted).

I bought my Dune device from a guy that isn't listed on Dune's website anymore. Here's the list and there's only a couple in Sydney: http://dune-hd.com/where_to_buy

It sounds like your network will be well and truly up to the task.

Cheers,
Jamie

HAA Level II
ISF Certified
Oz Audio Exorcists
post #284 of 518 Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What interface are you using ?

As in jukebox thing? I was using Zapiti until is crashed....terrible to set up, worse to manage.

We just use the Dune menus now....annoying but stable

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #285 of 518 Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

As in jukebox thing? I was using Zapiti until is crashed....terrible to set up, worse to manage.

We just use the Dune menus now....annoying but stable

When I first got my Dunes I ran both Yadis and Zappiti simultaneously as a trial to see which one worked better. Ended up sticking with Yadis and have had no problems. Runs much smoother and much faster when pushing out updates to the Dunes. From a user interface perspective on the Dune, it works very similar to Zappiti but runs a lot better on the PC end.
post #286 of 518 Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any setup advice for Yadis? I am running Zappiti and really dont care for it all that much. Plus that recently had the whole thing where you have to prove that you bought it in order to run it and that frustrated me.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #287 of 518 Old 06-15-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

Well it's been a long time between posts ... but I thought I should do something worthwhile (that'll be a first !) for post 1000 !!

So here it is ... a net exclusive (never thought you'd see that in a DownUnder thread did you ??!!) ... the first pictures of the new Procella DA-2800 amps in the wild ...

A stack of EQ / amps ...

Open ...

Contents ... 4 Speakons and an XLR link in addition to the power cable ...

Front ...

In the rack ...

The whole rack ...

Now to go hook it all up and play some tunes !!!! biggrin.gif

Cheers,
post #288 of 518 Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool! I had a look into those DSP's a few weeks back - they've got an 8 in 16 out model that is only $3500 - bargain compared to QSC alternative which is only 8 in 8 out at $7500

Now just wait one minute, it might be all this rain going to my head but that looks like carpet and chairs to me - where are the wide angle shots? biggrin.gif

Edit: P.S. - Yadis is awesome, craps all over Zapitti

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #289 of 518 Old 06-17-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Cool! I had a look into those DSP's a few weeks back - they've got an 8 in 16 out model that is only $3500 - bargain compared to QSC alternative which is only 8 in 8 out at $7500...

Huh? To which DSP do you refer, that has an 8 in - 16 out version?
post #290 of 518 Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The Xilica Neutrino, they have an 0816 (8 in 16 out) model here also a 1608 (16 in 8 out). I spoke to the importer here and I asked him about them and in terms of quality he said "Think Lake" - apparently they have a long and strong history in the OEM market

Ha, LOL, just checked their website - for once we have access to something North America doesn't!.....sorry, that doesn't happen often,as you can see with the QSC's they're twice the price here!

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #291 of 518 Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fired them up over the weekend, and even without the main subs (still two more XLRs to terminate), no calibration and no treatments on the walls, it sounds spectacular ! biggrin.gif

PC control of the Xilica EQs via USB is dead simple.

Tonight I'll be finishing the wiring and running a simple calibration. Tomorrow night I've got Gerben from Procella coming over for a first listen. Hopefully he'll post his impressions.

For me, having music in the room is akin to hanging the projector ... so progress will slow even more !

Cheers,
post #292 of 518 Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Ellil or Peter how muh are we talking about for the Xilica 8 in 16out?

Glad to hear everything is coming along nicely. I just got told that my speakers are going to be another 2 months. AARRRGGGHHH. I am still waiting to find alternatives for my other projects but this constant delay on the subs is most irritating.
post #293 of 518 Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont know which ones Peter is using, but they're about $3600 from Smithys ring and ask for - wait for it - Peter (not me smile.gif)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #294 of 518 Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have two of the XP-4080.

Cheers,
post #295 of 518 Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Fired them up over the weekend, and even without the main subs (still two more XLRs to terminate), no calibration and no treatments on the walls, it sounds spectacular ! biggrin.gif
PC control of the Xilica EQs via USB is dead simple.
Tonight I'll be finishing the wiring and running a simple calibration. Tomorrow night I've got Gerben from Procella coming over for a first listen. Hopefully he'll post his impressions.
For me, having music in the room is akin to hanging the projector ... so progress will slow even more !
Well, last night I drove the 8 minutes to Peter's new home and we had a long listen to some selected tracks of his great music collection. The Procellas were basically brand new, with all their running-in still to be done. NO acoustic treatment in the room, other than the bass trapping and the ceiling diff, so quite a bit of 1st/2nd/3rd reflections, which very clearly takes away a lot of the immediacy and presence of the sound image. And of course, no calibration done yet, other than the basics. So this was really a First Listen, to get an impression of the room, before the acoustic treatments go in. (Also, no screen, no PJ, this room is Music first!)

Bass was already sounding good, with very little room nodes and plenty of command. The two P15's will get faster/louder as they are run in over the next few days, plus calibration, so bass looks good. The P610 sounded new, but very much in control of the music. The DA-2800 amps never missed a beat, they are firmly in charge. The noise floor of these amps is so low, you just don't believe the system is on until the music starts playing. Lovely!

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush struck a chord with me, again. Beautiful. And MJ's Thriller is just crazy good in this room! Very much the Procella sound, in an Erskine room. ;-)

I was tempted to get the tools out of Peter's immaculate garage and give him a hand with hanging the baffle wall absorber material, to once and for all get rid of those front wall reflections, but as it was getting quite late already, I said my goodbye's. More to follow later for sure!
post #296 of 518 Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Photos! we need photos!

Dont make me drive down there biggrin.gif

Edit: that's code for I want to come and have a listen - can bring camera and tripod if you like smile.gif

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #297 of 518 Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yah I have not started bike riding yet either so pics please.biggrin.gif
post #298 of 518 Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Photos! we need photos!

Dont make me drive down there biggrin.gif

Edit: that's code for I want to come and have a listen - can bring camera and tripod if you like smile.gif

Hi Peter,

The room's far from perfect but no problem if you want to come down for a listen ... but just remember every minute spent listening with you is one less minute of progress ! wink.gif

Any time except Sat lunch would be fine. Just give me a ring before you head down.

Cheers,
post #299 of 518 Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! smile.gif

If you want a hand I might be able to spare an hour or two - we can put up the baffle perhaps?

I'll see how I go on the weekend - there's another in the household to cater for now wink.gif but that means I've got 4 weeks off work (if weekdays are easier)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #300 of 518 Old 06-24-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! smile.gif

If you want a hand I might be able to spare an hour or two - we can put up the baffle perhaps?

I'll see how I go on the weekend - there's another in the household to cater for now wink.gif but that means I've got 4 weeks off work (if weekdays are easier)

Hi Peter,

Hope I didn't miss your call over the weekend.

Not much progress, as I spent most of the time working on my son's desk which was damaged in the move so I decided to repaint the top. Between one primer and two top coats, plus drying time, flipping to do both sides, and cleaning up between coats (I hate cleaning paint gear !!!) it seemed to take the whole weekend.

The only progress in the HT was the installation of foam gasket into all the holes around the speakers in the baffle wall. This also took a lot longer than expected !

One concern that I now have is my choice of baffle wall insulation. I bought the CSR/Bradford black faced fibreglass, but having finally opened the plastic packing to look at it getting ready for installation, I'm concerned that the black facing is too thin and fragile. There's no way I'm going to get it up on the wall without ruining it. Anyone got any suggestions of locally available alternatives ?

Cheers,
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page