Skyrun Cinema build begins - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like many of you I have been lurking in these forums for quite a while waiting for the chance to build my own theater. I recently bought a home at the beginning of the year and now that I'm back from a little detour, I have the time and more importantly the cash to build it.

For the most part this will be interesting to those who want to lurk as well and get some ideas on what you might want to do or learn from my goofs and not do that (hopefully none of that). And I've kept a close tab on all the material that I've been buying to give others an idea on how much it could cost. Oh and suggestions and questions are welcomed.

Anyways, I am a complete DIY'er. I like learning stuff if I don't know how to do it and I've always had a knack for using tools so, for me this will be a lot of fun doing a more serious project.

I actually started my project last week before the 4th but I just now got to posting this. But before I give an update on where I'm at, I'm going to give a description of what the theater will be.

I know some of you moan and groan at 3D, but I really enjoy it and there's more chance than ever of that experience improving. A while ago there was no easy way to do a Bluray dual projection 3D experience without having to do some work on the feature and then playing it through stereoscopic player. But now, even that player gives the capability to play it straight from the disc. That might work and it might not. If not, I'll do it the other way I was doing it. Anyways, it will be a full 1080p dual projection circular polarized theater. And, it will be a scoped theater (2.40:1) as well. I'm hoping to do it for 3D as well but that might be an experiment at the moment since I'm not able to buy a Panamorph (which doesn't do 2.40) or a Prismasonic (which does), but that might be an upgrade later. For now it'll be DIY prisms. It will also be a 7.1 system with a Tuba Home Theater Low Profile to give it that really rumbling blow that you would get in a real theater, and I will also build all the speakers. The walls and ceilings will be double 5/8ths with Normal Green Glue application. The walls will also have acoustic treatment as well using fabirc frames and wall coverings with rigid insulation.

So, on to the updates. This is what the space looked like before.
Front

Back

And the basic design from the side.

I stripped the walls and ceilings bare to start from scratch. I will be reinsulating the walls and ceilings to help with the cool Nebraska winters and come soundproofing from the rooms above.

I've already bought the lumber to begin framing tomorrow...as soon as I take off some of that old construction adhesive.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalJman View Post

I've already bought the lumber to begin framing tomorrow...as soon as I take off some of that old construction adhesive.

Since you are re-framing had you considered attaching the top plates with isolation clips? also mounting the ceiling on clips and channel? If you are going to have a tuba, and maybe later other DIY subs you may want to think about it.
post #3 of 95 Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Room dimensions?

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #4 of 95 Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Heck ya another Bellevue Build. There a couple Bellevue and Omaha builds on here as well. Looks like you live in a Celebrity house.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #5 of 95 Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Actually it's a Hearthstone home.

As for the ceiling clips, I'm still not sure if it will benefit me yet. I'm still looking into it. Do you have ceiling clips or have worked with them?

I will post the dimensions tomorrow seeing as how I forgot that.

As for progress I only got one wall framed due to taking care of the kids in the morning til afternoon. I'm hoping to finish framing the long wall tomorrow.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #6 of 95 Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

The walls were actually finished being framed a couple of days ago. Here they are:
Front Framed

Side Framed:

Back

And here are the dimensions I'm working with. The back wall is 11.5', side wall is 22.5' and the front wall is just over 13'. I don't have a pic of the other side at the moment, but it's the area for the boys and in the back left is the PC room. I'll have my media server in there and maybe the rack as well.

Now that the framing is done, I've been really busy now doing measuring for all the drywall and electrical, and... I've been doing the math on the channels and clips and it's looks like it's a good to go thing. And, there's a good chance that I'll be doing clips on the walls and ceiling areas. The good thing is, I found a local Home Depot that carries the channel furring at a cheap price. I still need to find a place where they carry rigid fiberglass. I'm still not sure which brand to go with, but I've been interested in Owens and Corning, and JM. The drywall run is definitely going to be a heavy one with 57 sheets of 5/8ths and 3 1/4ths. At least I have a trailer to get all of it.

I just have a few more things to go through for budgeting. I'm looking pretty good, but I'm pretty conservative that way so that I don't run out of funds too soon.

Anyways, if I have enough time over the next couple of days, I'll be able to start wiring on Friday but more than likely it will be Saturday. And I don't have anything to do on Saturday but my theater.

post #7 of 95 Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, this weekend I didn't really get anything done because I had other things I had to do during the day. But I did get through all the estimations of wiring and such so that means that I can buy it tomorrow and start on Tuesday.

On a different note my polarized lenses and 7 Ch amp arrived on Friday. I can't wait to do some testing with both of those.

post #8 of 95 Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Shound be fun to watch - and another THT LP woot - I'll be following along. I'm planning on building a second, so I can blow out both side walls symmetrically.
post #9 of 95 Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

The good thing is, I found a local Home Depot that carries the channel furring at a cheap price.

In my area you can buy channel at much less than HD prices at building supply companies.

My go to source for metal studs and channel is Global Building Supply.
post #10 of 95 Old 07-18-2011, 05:10 AM

Liked: 147
At only 22 feet long, the front row is going to be pretty close to the screen. If you assume 6 feet per row for reclining and moving around, the front of the 3rd row will be at 16 feet and the front of the second row will be at 10 feet. This puts the heads of the front row at around 9 feet or so.

It will be like sitting in the front row of the movie theater.

What I recommend doing (and did myself) is to put some tape down on the floor in the exact dimensions and placement for each set of seats. Then put a big box or something at the front and rear of each row, to simulate there being something physically there. Walk around the taped area, see how it feels to you. You will get an accurate enough understanding of it.

My theater build is 21ish feet long and 12 feet wide at the front, 8 feet wide at the back. I am going with two rows. The extra space at the front is to be used for the Wii / XBox...as well as for bean bag chairs for kids. My scientific research on bean bag chairs up close to the screen puts them on par with unicorns and fighting robots with regards to kids...meaning they will all but demand to sit in them. This frees the adults to be comfortable.
post #11 of 95 Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Shound be fun to watch - and another THT LP woot - I'll be following along. I'm planning on building a second, so I can blow out both side walls symmetrically.

Wow! A second one. That's pretty daring. I can't wait to see what kind of results you get from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

In my area you can buy channel at much less than HD prices at building supply companies.

My go to source for metal studs and channel is Global Building Supply.

Well as it turns out I've decided to not do it in this theater build because for the cost vversus the reults for my space, it just wasn't worth it. But I will be doing it on my next theater build whenwe move into our actual stay in place house. Then I cabbage an actual dedicated room for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

At only 22 feet long, the front row is going to be pretty close to the screen. If you assume 6 feet per row for reclining and moving around, the front of the 3rd row will be at 16 feet and the front of the second row will be at 10 feet. This puts the heads of the front row at around 9 feet or so.

It will be like sitting in the front row of the movie theater.

Yeah, I kinda did that test before as well and it was really meant to be extra seating for the really young kids that we have and for just the extra seating. But I will do a more accurate test a little later to get the feel of it like you suggested.

post #12 of 95 Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

So, over the past few days I've actually been dealing with some stuff that is behind the scenes to make sure that I can order the correct cabling and stuff like that. So, not much of my electrical has been getting done and my wife reminds me of that... but I have done some important things in the mean time.

Yesterday I picked up my server rack from Craigslist (great place to find things for repurposing by the way). Right now I'm posting from work and can't post any picks but I'll do that tonight when I get home.

So, here's been the bulk of my time issue. This theater will be a dual projection 3D theather capable of watching blu ray 3D through two projectors. Now, I'm not certain who has looked into doing this on a large movie screen but the only "correct" way of doing this that's available from the market is by using a single projector that costs a lot more than need be, doesn't have the same quality as dual projecting images does, and oh yeah, you have to pay 150$ dollars for each glass. Ummm... no. Let's do it the way the professionals do it and the way it's been done for most movie theatres and theme parks and has had a lot better success. Dual projection! Oh, wait, there are no commercial software or hardware bluray players that do this. Hmm, so how to do this. (Ok my rant is over).

So, I knew of Stereoscopic player and that it could a large variety of files and configurations and people have been using that software for a long time to do dual projection 3D. But no one has used it for 3D bluray movies. But, I'm very computer savy and video savy so I didn't give up. I found that I could rip the left and right video files from the disk AND keep the lossless audio in an MKV format (which is supported through Stereoscopic player but using third party codecs). I don't have my theater up and runnign (obviously) and I want to test everything to make sure it works.

So, on Wed I set up both projectors and started playing one of my converted videos and it starts up fine in one window and then you need to switch it to fullscreen to have both screens playing it. I switch it over aaaannnndddd, nothing. Just black screen, not frozen, no loading visible, etc. Mouse even still moved across the screen. And it went that way for the better part of 3 hours. So, now I'm working on that problem which isn't making me too happy because one of things I really want for this theater is 3D in HiDef. Fortunately, I know this way of doing it does work and it just means there's some kind of oddity about why it won't work. So, I have some things left to try out tonight. If any of you have ideas that would be great. I've also posted it here.

So, tonight I'm probably going to play with the projectors because tomorrow late afternoon til evening I'll be doing the wiring while in the afternoon I have to put the watercooling into my computer that runs this whole theater.

I'm just hoping to clear this problem up before too long so that I can continue in confidence, I guess you could say.

Edit: Pics for server

Front of Server (kind of hard to see)

Back of server

post #13 of 95 Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

I did find the solution to the Stereoscpoic player issue. It turns out that I had accidentally set the output to Stereobright Dual Output which may or may not be oversaturating the workload of the files. I'll have to test that so that I can send any bug info to Peter Wimmer. But if I set it to regular Dual Output, it works flawlessly and beautifully. So, I was certainly ecstatic about that. Oh and it does work fine on both Bluray 3D files and the left and right files that I've been using as well.

As for the wiring, it's coming along but apparently I didn't plan adequately enough because for the past couple of days I've been making runs to the hardware store constantly because I forgot x item or decided to something differently. But now I have all that essentially cleared up and I've done quite a bit. I'm wiring the Graphic Eye at the moment and will finish up the light wiring the connects to it tonight. I plan on picking up the wall sconces tonight and getting those ready to be wired up as well. After that the next for wiring will be the server rack and computer room for wiring. I hope that I can finish the wiring by the end of this week so that I can put up the insulation next week. I'll post some updated pics when I get the wiring areas done.

post #14 of 95 Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You are going to have the nicest Hearthstone home in NE.

Which server rack did you buy? There have been quite a few posted lately. Is your gear rack mountable? If not, the cost of shelves will probably run you more than what you paid for the rack.

What are you doing for HVAC in that room?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #15 of 95 Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Which server rack did you buy? There have been quite a few posted lately. Is your gear rack mountable? If not, the cost of shelves will probably run you more than what you paid for the rack.

Actually, I'm not sure which brand it is. I just know that this will accommodate my future media server which will be a 4U rack that fits this cabinet. It will also accommodate all of my equipment which some of it I will certainly have to buy the shelves for, and yes they are expensive but required. It's the same ones that I use at work. I'll post dimensions later.

Quote:

What are you doing for HVAC in that room?

Actually, I'm not doing anything special since during the summer, it stays cool all summer long and during the winter it will be warm as well. The HVAC doesn't really make any noise from the vents and the current door to the utility room will be soundproofed as a sandfilled door with other treatments as well.

I was kind of hoping to get some work done today but I spent the evening running around getting some more things and then I had unexpected dinner guests and then a long night of putting my kids to bed.

post #16 of 95 Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

So, I've not done any updates in a while because I had not really made much progress on the electrical and didn't really have anything to share. But here it is.

Side done with wiring for sconces and rope lighting above

Back

Not too worried about good patching on this area because another layer will be going on it and then the fabric frames as well.

Isolated Computer Outlet: This socket is completely grounded on it's own all the way back to the service panel and is 20Amps. This should ensure plenty of dedicated power.

Server Area Ready: The rack will also have two of it's own isolated 20 Amp receptacles. The wiring above it is already done, I just need to clean the floor up and move the rack into place.

But, most of what took me so long was my final mod to my Media Server Computer. If you've read the previous post you might guess that I would need to have a lot of power to run this theater. My other computers have been liquid cooled and this one couldn't be the exception. So, I finally took time to do it. And it definitely took a while considering the complexity of this build.

This one shows just how cool my UV reactive dye looks in the computer with the UV lights on inside.

So, this is where you can see why I made the decision to liquid cool on this one as well. I have three power hungry video cards that give off plenty of heat and sadly, even though the board sports a lot of cool features, it also has the down side of having every video card next to each other. So, the fans weren't really getting enough air to cool them down. When I'll be running Crysis 1 and 2 in 3D and any other fun games, it will require some heavy loads. These are 3 AMD 6950's. The awesome thing about these cards are the sliding switches which gives me two firmware possibilities. And the 6970 are just a firmware change. So, I was able to flash all the cards to 6970's and saved myself $100 per card. Not bad hey?

This is cooling an Intel Hexacore chip. It's not overclocked yet, but I soon will. It's pretty sweet to see handbrake encoding with all 12 threads.

Next step is insulation which I just bought and is sitting inside my garage ready to be installed. I'm not sure just yet when I'm going to start installing it but it should be soon.

I chose to do the speaker wiring between the drywall and the fabric frames for two reasons. One, I didn't want to worry about having the electrical lines right next to the speaker wires and two, it'll be easier this way. My wires are actually going to run down the length of the I beam that sits under the house running the length of the basement. It will run right into my soffits making it easy to route it around the various speaker places.

If any of you Omaha people can tell me where you found the best place to buy locally OC703 or another similar rigid fiberglass that would be awesome. I have a couple of places I can call but haven't done so yet to get some pricing done on that.

post #17 of 95 Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought my OC703 from a commercial vendor just SW of 132nd and L, I don't know the name of the company though

If you have ever been on that side where L and Industrial meet there is a big car audio store called In-Phase car audio, the insulation place is a block farther SW from In-Phase.

post #18 of 95 Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Liked: 11
Nice computer, mines' water cooled also, I need to get some shots of it in my building process
post #19 of 95 Old 08-20-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I bought my OC703 from a commercial vendor just SW of 132nd and L, I don't know the name of the company though

If you have ever been on that side where L and Industrial meet there is a big car audio store called In-Phase car audio, the insulation place is a block farther SW from In-Phase.

To bad you can't remember. Fortunately I was able to search for insulation near that place and did come up with a place near there though the name escapes me. I haven't had a chance to call them yet.

As for updates, I got the basement cleaned up and now I'm ready to install the insulation. I'll try to do that on Monday hopefully.

post #20 of 95 Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I feel like I've made quite a bit of progress even though it's just the insulation that I've completely finished. It's just that extra step that makes you feel good getting closer. I've also finished the first layer of drywall on the ceiling but I won't include pictures yet until the whole first layer is finished. I plan on starting the walls tonight but I have some other woodworking projects that I have to do so that might have to wait until the weekend.

In the meantime here are some pics of that itchy goodness.

I also remembered that I reinforced the projector area for the mount. I took some 2x4's and mounted them across 3 joists and drill the holes in them for the mount plate and then put T-nuts on top so that I could just screw in the Hex bolts. It worked beautifully.

Oh, I almost forgot. Since I had to cover up the ceiling and all I thought it would be a smart idea to remember pulling the HDMI cable to the projector mount area as well. Since the length was going from my computer room to the main theater area, it had to be a really good thick cable for good transmission. Over 50ft in fact. I will still have to do some tests to make sure I don't need a repeater. The gauge is 22.

And up close to give you an idea of the size. This was a beast to pull two of these at once. I forgot to take pictures of the pulling but I ended up using the handy space on the side of the I beam supporting the house. I bought some 2" PVC and slid it along the side of the beam to make for a much easier wire pull, which is also where my speaker wiring will go through once I'm done with the drywalling.

post #21 of 95 Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

HuskerOmaha has some OC703 piled up in his garage he was going to put on Craigslist, you might PM him or check his build thread for contact info.

post #22 of 95 Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HuskerOmaha has some OC703 piled up in his garage he was going to put on Craigslist, you might PM him or check his build thread for contact info.

Yep. He got a hold of me and I just replied. I'm pretty sure that what he has will be a good amount of what I need and hopefully all of it.

I just finished putting the sealing around the bottom of the wall plate today and tomorrow I'll be putting up the wall which won't take nearly as long as it did for the ceiling. And for anyone doing the ceiling, it definitely was worth it to rent a drywall lift. It was pretty cheap to do as well.

post #23 of 95 Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

The drywall went up as expected. No real surprises came up. Although, I did see something strange on my side wall and felt that something didn't look right when I realized that I had forgotten cut a hole in the insulation earlier for one of my sconce electrical lines. So, luckily I figured that out just in time and was able to easily take down that piece of drywall and do the required work. But it did make me look more carefully around the room to see if I had forgotten any other access ports or electrical holes I should have cut out but didn't. And gratefully, that was my only mistake. Now, this is my first time doing any drywall project on this scale and I was quite pleased with the results so far. So, if I can do it, anyone can.

I accidentally started covering the fasteners when I realized that I don't need to do that on the first layer. I did however fill the large gaps where the drywall didn't exactly line up. So, that means today I might do some mudding. For the first layer you don't have to do taping with it if you're putting up another layer of drywall, which I am. So here are the requisite pics.

And a closeup of where the projector mount is. Since it was a very close fit and the second layer is going to butt right up to the bottom edge of the backing I decided to wait before I put my capping on the projector mount area.

post #24 of 95 Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well luckily enough I had time to start on the second layer of drywall for the ceiling today which my wife helped me with, which was a life saver on my back. Those 70 pound sheets start to wear on you. And I was able to pick up a nice drywall gun which saved a lot of frustration and time. And it was on sale and had a rebate, so it was almost half off.

Today I only got the back portion done due to a late start but I'll have it done by Monday and then I can start on the walls which certainly go a lot faster. Oh and my wife chose to call my Green Glue© green goop instead.

post #25 of 95 Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

So, I was able to finish the ceiling with green glue and have been working a litte bit on the walls. Hopefull I get that done soon.

In the meantime I got a great opportunity to buy some leftover OC703 from HuskerOmaha and he brought up a good point about my theater post...It's not real clear what I'm attempting to do with my theater because it really is different than most people's idea for their theater.

I've spent a lot of time working with film files and creating content for DVD's and bluray's, so I've known the in's and out's of these systems. When I saw that Bluray 3D had been approved I thought, 'Finally, Hi Definition 3D material will be available and I can start to do on a big screen like the theaters.' But, because of whatever reason (probably concentration of force in sales for the easiest, best understood manner, e.g. 3D HDTV sales) they haven't pushed for any other technologies for displaying th 3D content aside from the normal active shutter lense, even though, roughly 99.9 percent of people who see a 3D presentation in a theater views the content through a one of the various types of passive technologies.

I started looking at ways to do it in dual projection because this method produces the most pure form of the content directly to the viewer. It's constant 1080i (I believe for 3D, 2D is 1080p) images to the viewer. In an active shutter system that's not the case. It's the pure thing that got me going and the fact that I wanted to have a good number of people coming to watch a film here and not having to spend 8x$150 per glass and that's if it's only 8 people.

For my dream to be realized, I knew that it could only be done on the computer because there were certainly some challenges to overcome on the hardware front and no one was making that kind of equipment. So, here's what I was looking for.

1. A bluray player that had 2 HDMI outputs for left and right images.
a. This player also had to have another HDMI output for audio only thus letting me also experience all the HD tracks because it's not available through optical outputs.

2. A computer software that would decode the 3D bluray files for use on a dual projection system.

Well, none of the main companies for hardware, namely Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, LG wanted to build this type of device. I know because I emailed all of them with this idea and all said in essence 'no we're not doing that but take a look at our 3D bluray players we already have.' Really!? Really!There isn't a demand for it in the High end market? Whatever. It's their company losing out.

So, I set out to do it on the computer. The two largest players for bluray software playback are Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre and Cyberlink's PowerDVD. Before the software update all of them promised 3D playback but it wasn't clear what options would be available. After many emails and some forum posts, it was clear that they didn't intend on implementing it and many of them had no idea of what we were talking about. For fun you can search their forums and laugh at some of their more clueless posts. Anyways, it was clear that I would have to take matter into my own hands.

I apologize for the long post but I think this will save some poor person trying to do the same thing and having to go through all the problems I encountered. So, here's what you can do in two ways.

1. You need to have two projectors (duh).
2. You need to have a pair of linear or circular polarized plates for 3D. You can find most of these online pretty easily. PM me if you want better info on where to find it or the better company to buy it from.
3. You need to have software to decode the bluray 3D discs. I use AnyDVDHD but there are a variety of programs that do on the fly decoding. The reason is because the next puzzle piece for this mess can't decode the material.
4. Stereoscopic player now has the ability to play .ssif files which are the basic 3D files used to do 3D. You can just select the largest .ssif file and play it and it works. When that ends, just play the next largest or play each one beforehand to see which is the second part.

Now that's essentially what you have to do to play it. But if you want HD audio you will need to figure out how to route it to your receiver and still be able to do dual projection. This was a whole investigation in itself. I went through A LOT of work and research to find out that it's not worth buying a dedicated audio card with HDMI in and output because they are all dedicated to either PowerDVD or Total Media Theater and if you play those .ssif files, or any other file the has a valid HD audio track, outside of those two players, it won't play HD audio. So, this is a time and money saving tip right here. BUY an Nvidia or AMD graphics card that has on board audio because it does it perfectly fine AND, it doesn't matter where your playing it from because it will decode it e.g. Sterescopic Player.

In order for the hardware to work like this you need to use two outputs on your video card and 1 HDMI slot (absolutely has to be HDMI not DVI to HDMI). Your best bet is AMD because they have a lot of slots and it's typically cheaper. I'm doing 3 AMD 6970's because I'm also using this computer for 3D PC gaming in 1080 and that takes a lot of GPU and CPU crunching. But it comes in handy because I could use one of those extra cards to do just the audio and you just select which one to use in the Windows Playback device setting. Or, you can use one card with 2 outgoing DVI to HDMI cables for the projectors and 1 HDMI going directly to the receiver.
There is another option but it kind of complicates things on the software side and I'm not sure if it will work and it will add more cost. I will be using this next method but only for my 360 or PS3 because there's not dual HDMI outputs on there as well.

From the source, be it PS3 or 360, I will feed a the HDMI cable to a 1x4 or 3 HDMI splitter. This will send the exact same signal through all ports at the same time. One cable will go to the reciever for audio only mode. Two will go into the CH-322 3D Demultiplexer device from Cypress Converters, one for each view. Then obviously to the respective projector. So, in theory you could just use whatever software (PowerDVD or Total Media Theatre) and play through these devices and it should work. But I haven't tested this yet because the demultiplexer isn't out just yet.

So, I think I've covered enough intel that this will help anyone out there looking to do this method vs. spending 800-1000 dollars on glasses for a 3D movie night.

There is still yet one more challenge to overcome and that's the screen and dual anamorphic projection. But I will save that for when I get close to putting it up. If I get enough pleads for that info I'll share it earlier but I think that this will suffice for now.

And as always if you have thoughts or questions, share them.

post #26 of 95 Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will be sure to subscribe to yours as well and I'll keep your theater in mind for a demo too.

post #27 of 95 Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 AM

Wow you're really cruising fast man. Took me many more months to get to where you are in only a couple.

Keep up the good work!
post #28 of 95 Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post

Wow you're really cruising fast man. Took me many more months to get to where you are in only a couple.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, I have too since I could be gone for months at a time. So, I'm trying to finish it as fast as possible. I wish I could be faster right now but I've had a lot of committments that came up during the weeks prior. At least I only have a couple more pieces to finish up the second layer of drywall. Taping and mudding will go so much faster.

post #29 of 95 Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

So, I was able to finish the ceiling with green glue and have been working a litte bit on the walls. Hopefull I get that done soon.

In the meantime I got a great opportunity to buy some leftover OC703 from HuskerOmaha and he brought up a good point about my theater post...It's not real clear what I'm attempting to do with my theater because it really is different than most people's idea for their theater.

I've spent a lot of time working with film files and creating content for DVD's and bluray's, so I've known the in's and out's of these systems. When I saw that Bluray 3D had been approved I thought, 'Finally, Hi Definition 3D material will be available and I can start to do on a big screen like the theaters.' But, because of whatever reason (probably concentration of force in sales for the easiest, best understood manner, e.g. 3D HDTV sales) they haven't pushed for any other technologies for displaying th 3D content aside from the normal active shutter lense, even though, roughly 99.9 percent of people who see a 3D presentation in a theater views the content through a one of the various types of passive technologies.

I started looking at ways to do it in dual projection because this method produces the most pure form of the content directly to the viewer. It's constant 1080i (I believe for 3D, 2D is 1080p) images to the viewer. In an active shutter system that's not the case. It's the pure thing that got me going and the fact that I wanted to have a good number of people coming to watch a film here and not having to spend 8x$150 per glass and that's if it's only 8 people.

For my dream to be realized, I knew that it could only be done on the computer because there were certainly some challenges to overcome on the hardware front and no one was making that kind of equipment. So, here's what I was looking for.

1. A bluray player that had 2 HDMI outputs for left and right images.
a. This player also had to have another HDMI output for audio only thus letting me also experience all the HD tracks because it's not available through optical outputs.

2. A computer software that would decode the 3D bluray files for use on a dual projection system.

Well, none of the main companies for hardware, namely Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, LG wanted to build this type of device. I know because I emailed all of them with this idea and all said in essence 'no we're not doing that but take a look at our 3D bluray players we already have.' Really!? Really!There isn't a demand for it in the High end market? Whatever. It's their company losing out.

So, I set out to do it on the computer. The two largest players for bluray software playback are Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre and Cyberlink's PowerDVD. Before the software update all of them promised 3D playback but it wasn't clear what options would be available. After many emails and some forum posts, it was clear that they didn't intend on implementing it and many of them had no idea of what we were talking about. For fun you can search their forums and laugh at some of their more clueless posts. Anyways, it was clear that I would have to take matter into my own hands.

I apologize for the long post but I think this will save some poor person trying to do the same thing and having to go through all the problems I encountered. So, here's what you can do in two ways.

1. You need to have two projectors (duh).
2. You need to have a pair of linear or circular polarized plates for 3D. You can find most of these online pretty easily. PM me if you want better info on where to find it or the better company to buy it from.
3. You need to have software to decode the bluray 3D discs. I use AnyDVDHD but there are a variety of programs that do on the fly decoding. The reason is because the next puzzle piece for this mess can't decode the material.
4. Stereoscopic player now has the ability to play .ssif files which are the basic 3D files used to do 3D. You can just select the largest .ssif file and play it and it works. When that ends, just play the next largest or play each one beforehand to see which is the second part.

Now that's essentially what you have to do to play it. But if you want HD audio you will need to figure out how to route it to your receiver and still be able to do dual projection. This was a whole investigation in itself. I went through A LOT of work and research to find out that it's not worth buying a dedicated audio card with HDMI in and output because they are all dedicated to either PowerDVD or Total Media Theater and if you play those .ssif files, or any other file the has a valid HD audio track, outside of those two players, it won't play HD audio. So, this is a time and money saving tip right here. BUY an Nvidia or AMD graphics card that has on board audio because it does it perfectly fine AND, it doesn't matter where your playing it from because it will decode it e.g. Sterescopic Player.

In order for the hardware to work like this you need to use two outputs on your video card and 1 HDMI slot (absolutely has to be HDMI not DVI to HDMI). Your best bet is AMD because they have a lot of slots and it's typically cheaper. I'm doing 3 AMD 6970's because I'm also using this computer for 3D PC gaming in 1080 and that takes a lot of GPU and CPU crunching. But it comes in handy because I could use one of those extra cards to do just the audio and you just select which one to use in the Windows Playback device setting. Or, you can use one card with 2 outgoing DVI to HDMI cables for the projectors and 1 HDMI going directly to the receiver.
There is another option but it kind of complicates things on the software side and I'm not sure if it will work and it will add more cost. I will be using this next method but only for my 360 or PS3 because there's not dual HDMI outputs on there as well.

From the source, be it PS3 or 360, I will feed a the HDMI cable to a 1x4 or 3 HDMI splitter. This will send the exact same signal through all ports at the same time. One cable will go to the reciever for audio only mode. Two will go into the CH-322 3D Demultiplexer device from Cypress Converters, one for each view. Then obviously to the respective projector. So, in theory you could just use whatever software (PowerDVD or Total Media Theatre) and play through these devices and it should work. But I haven't tested this yet because the demultiplexer isn't out just yet.

So, I think I've covered enough intel that this will help anyone out there looking to do this method vs. spending 800-1000 dollars on glasses for a 3D movie night.

There is still yet one more challenge to overcome and that's the screen and dual anamorphic projection. But I will save that for when I get close to putting it up. If I get enough pleads for that info I'll share it earlier but I think that this will suffice for now.

And as always if you have thoughts or questions, share them.

You know you could just get a 3D dlp projector with hdmi 1.4 and use dlp link glasses. those are only about $50- $70. That would probably end up being cheaper and way less complicated.
post #30 of 95 Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuitar93 View Post

You know you could just get a 3D dlp projector with hdmi 1.4 and use dlp link glasses. those are only about $50- $70. That would probably end up being cheaper and way less complicated.

Yeah, but that still misses the point. DLP link glasses still must use the same idea as all the other single projector solutions. And quality is what I'm shooting for. I knew it wasn't going to be easy or cheap but the results are going to be well worth it. So far IMO the single projector solutions are for the person who just wants something that works without having to think too much about it. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to look good.And they do produce some great results but, comparing it to a dual projection system is a night and day difference.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page