Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Gary - fantastic HT.

2 questions:

1) Your dual french door with windows, is that an exterior framed door with full seals that you put there to help with some noise containment?
Have you ever noticed on some LFE passages the doors "breathing" back/forth due to the lock/striker?
If you had to do it again, would you go windows or just steel door?
You can see my HT and Game room next to it, I have a 6 foot opening specifically for a dual french door install....so I'd really like your feedback.

Second question:

Your rear diffusers, I read they are 1 foot rearward of the 2nd row.
a) Are these DIY or bought? What specification are they? Did you use QRDude for them if DIY?
I take it you optimized their performance for the 1st row, as the 2nd row is quite close to them.
http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/qrdude.htm
The window french door is mainly WAF. And it's not an exterior door neither, just a regular interior door. So no good sound proofing there. However, when we built the panels for the doors, we mounted the panel as close to the floor carpet as possible to seal the gap in between the door & the floor. If it's only my choose, I'll just do a single solid core door instead.

The rear wall diffusors are from Auralex Q'fusor which I'm sure someone with the skill could DIY it with even better result. And yes, sounds is optimized for the 1st row. 2nd row is for occasion sucker.....cough cough..... guests. tongue.gif

Oh, I like your 11.2 sound thread and good info there. I'm one of those guys who doesn't like DSX processing too! I mainly use DD PLIIz as I only have a height channels. And depends on the contents, some movie you didn't notice it's there at all, but some does give a good "above you" effect like the famous First attrack/Cannon battle scene when people walking on the upper deck from Master & Commands in most demo disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 510 Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

The window french door is mainly WAF. And it's not an exterior door neither, just a regular interior door. So no good sound proofing there. However, when we built the panels for the doors, we mounted the panel as close to the floor carpet as possible to seal the gap in between the door & the floor. If it's only my choose, I'll just do a single solid core door instead.

The rear wall diffusors are from Auralex Q'fusor which I'm sure someone with the skill could DIY it with even better result. And yes, sounds is optimized for the 1st row. 2nd row is for occasion sucker.....cough cough..... guests. tongue.gif

Oh, I like your 11.2 sound thread and good info there. I'm one of those guys who doesn't like DSX processing too! I mainly use DD PLIIz as I only have a height channels. And depends on the contents, some movie you didn't notice it's there at all, but some does give a good "above you" effect like the famous First attrack/Cannon battle scene when people walking on the upper deck from Master & Commands in most demo disc.

Thx Gary - my 11.x thread is not quite finished, as the tweaking of acoustic management for the added wide/height speakers is tbd.

Knowing about wide/height speakers was driven when I purchased my Denon 4520CI and learned about it's 11.1 ability with DSX/NeoX/PLIIz.
I was - and still am - open to the "best" wide/height codec, but over time I seem to be gravating to NeoX, simply the side/rear surrounds don't get lost at all, while under DSX seems the re-direction of signals reduces the presence of the side/rear surrounds.

I've not had time to truly do A vs B vs C comparision.....for now I have my subjective feelings, I've not seen any major write ups about a DSX/NeoX/PLIIz "shoot out" either.
(leaving for now the totally discrete DTS future codec)

Having see thru doors vs solid doors in HT's.
(we do plan on using exterior doors for sealed to help with noise transmission, realizing not soundproof perfect but better than an interior door)

Initially we were looking at solid doors, then my wife thought "what happens when our 3 kids become teens, and they have boys/girls over watching a movie in dark behind closed doors", hence she dictated windows with internal blinds.
Recently though she has flipped and agreed on solid doors, so that may be my April-May 2013 project.

Like you my 1st row is the "money" row and what not, so I will be adding some DIY diffusors on the rear wall focusing on the 1st row tuning, I'm pretty sure having diffusors or nothing on back wall is approx the same for the second row.

Again - your HT looks great - I like the staggered fabric panel look, and your child is now 1 1/2? Time for #2 and #3 smile.gif
post #273 of 510 Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx Gary - my 11.x thread is not quite finished, as the tweaking of acoustic management for the added wide/height speakers is tbd.

Knowing about wide/height speakers was driven when I purchased my Denon 4520CI and learned about it's 11.1 ability with DSX/NeoX/PLIIz.
I was - and still am - open to the "best" wide/height codec, but over time I seem to be gravating to NeoX, simply the side/rear surrounds don't get lost at all, while under DSX seems the re-direction of signals reduces the presence of the side/rear surrounds.

I've not had time to truly do A vs B vs C comparision.....for now I have my subjective feelings, I've not seen any major write ups about a DSX/NeoX/PLIIz "shoot out" either.
(leaving for now the totally discrete DTS future codec)

Having see thru doors vs solid doors in HT's.
(we do plan on using exterior doors for sealed to help with noise transmission, realizing not soundproof perfect but better than an interior door)

Initially we were looking at solid doors, then my wife thought "what happens when our 3 kids become teens, and they have boys/girls over watching a movie in dark behind closed doors", hence she dictated windows with internal blinds.
Recently though she has flipped and agreed on solid doors, so that may be my April-May 2013 project.

Like you my 1st row is the "money" row and what not, so I will be adding some DIY diffusors on the rear wall focusing on the 1st row tuning, I'm pretty sure having diffusors or nothing on back wall is approx the same for the second row.

Again - your HT looks great - I like the staggered fabric panel look, and your child is now 1 1/2? Time for #2 and #3 smile.gif
I tried a A/B comparison on DSX vs PLIIz on DirecTV materials, didn't like the DSX at all IMO. And I only tried Neo:X on Dredd, pretty good. I'm gonna give Expendables 2 a try later on.

And yes, she's turning 15 months is a couple of days. Time really flies when you are looking at the little one. #2 & #3? Not any time soon. LOL tongue.gif
post #274 of 510 Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #275 of 510 Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #276 of 510 Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Big day. How exciting! cool.gif
post #277 of 510 Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I think everyone really enjoyed even my friends that have a HT of his own was very impressed with the room. (credit to Big again!) Oh, I still have a lots of kettle corn leftover brought from the guests.
post #278 of 510 Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh I forgot to mention I've finished programming the Insteon with the Harmony yesterday just in time before the guests come too. Super easy to set up different scene and to program it to the Harmony remote. I think I'll be getting one of their keypad switch for the wall too later on.
post #279 of 510 Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gary: Congratulations on your theater. It really looks great!!!!!!! Were you satisfied with not investing the extra dollars in sound proofing?

Thanks
post #280 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2008 View Post

Gary: Congratulations on your theater. It really looks great!!!!!!! Were you satisfied with not investing the extra dollars in sound proofing?

Thanks
Total sound proofing would be the icing on the cake but I'm fine without it too. My family isn't sensitive to noise at all, even my 15 months old daughter could sleep through a heavy action movie in her room (2 stories up). I could definitely tell when someone is watching a movie in the HT. And I could sometimes hear it right above the HT room. In the 2nd floor where all the bedrooms are, we can't hear anything beside the strongest bass. And even then, it just sounds like it's having a big thunder storm outside. Nothing intrusive in my family's opinion. Plus I don't normally crank up the volume at all, we normally watch movie at -15~-17db and I've never touch above -10db. Therefore, sound proofing isn't my first priority in our case.
post #281 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've found the same to be the case for my family. The only exception is if my daughter isn't asleep yet her head is right by and HVAC duct and some of it transmits. Otherwise she is fine and my son actually likes the extra noise, he can't fall asleep without a fan or something running anyway.

I never run mine under -16, usually -18 to -20 on my receiver. I haven't run my room correction so that may change though.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't invest in DD, clips and GG.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #282 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Oh I forgot to mention I've finished programming the Insteon with the Harmony yesterday just in time before the guests come too. Super easy to set up different scene and to program it to the Harmony remote. I think I'll be getting one of their keypad switch for the wall too later on.

I've look at grafik eye but dropping $600 is a big pill to swallow.
4 zones in the HT.
So, I'd like to learn what you did with the Insteon dimmer switches. I've got a harmony 890, and like its RF ability.
It's controlling everything now, adding another IR line is possible.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #283 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

eBay is your friend. You can cut that number in half pretty easily. GRX 3104 or 3504
post #284 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

eBay is your friend. You can cut that number in half pretty easily. GRX 3104 or 3504

Yes, if you have the time and patience (and knowledge about the various part numbers), you can source them on ebay pretty cheap. But you have to allow yourself a few months of bidding. I got both my units off of ebay <$200 each. One is ivory, but I put it in a closet so who cares.

However, with 4 zones you can go other routes such as Insteon or even the Maestro and still get great results. However, even those solutions will be more than a bargain GE.. although they will be new versus used.

Tim
post #285 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 193
The key to working eBay, apart from the time, is saving a search. eBay will email you every couple days with the results of your search.
post #286 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wasn't sure how this staggered wall idea would turn out ... and now .... I think Ill steal it when I eventual do my theater. Love the work you guys did, gave me a few great ideas.
post #287 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Wasn't sure how this staggered wall idea would turn out ... and now .... I think Ill steal it when I eventual do my theater. Love the work you guys did, gave me a few great ideas.

Several times during the project I told Gary that the random wall tile idea may be a Forum first but I would bet it wouldn't be the last. It would please me if there are other adaptations and improvements in the future.
post #288 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4 zones in the HT.
So, I'd like to learn what you did with the Insteon dimmer switches. I've got a harmony 890, and like its RF ability.

So far, I only have 3 zones (will have another one when I'm doing the ceiling).
1 for the lights above the screen
1 for the lights at the backwall & the aisle
1 for the ambient ropelights

Using 2x Insteon Dimmer switches for the ceiling lights, and 1x of their Outlet Dimmer for plug in the ropelights. Easily control with Harmony (they have it in their database already) using the IRLinc Receiver.

FYI, my LED poster frames are also controlled by Insteon using their OutletLinc & the motion sensor to automatically turn on & off those posters when I walk into the area.

It's very easy to setup not just for remote controlling each individual lights, but also to setup "scene". And when I'm ready to add more lights (e.g. ceiling), I could just get more of their switch/outlet. If you'll need help for setting up, just feel free to contact me. I've been using Insteon through out my house. E.g. our walkin closet also has their switch & motion sensor so whenever we walk into the closet, the light will turn on itself, and will turn off after a pre-set time. The kitchen pantry door use their door sensor & switch so it'll turn on the pantry light when my wife open the door & turn off when she close it.

BTW, sign up their newsletter as they will email you coupon code (10-20% off) from time to time. I think I paid a little over $200 for the whole theater's lighting control (2 dimmer, 1 outlet, 1 IRLinc converter) with a 20% off coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Thanks! Steal away as you will. wink.gif I was a little nerves about the outcome too as I've never see anyone (beside one photo I found on the internet) do this before. However, I was something "different". I don't want a wall with 2-3 column sticking out just like almost every HT out there. At the end, both me & Big are very pleased with the result. smile.gif
post #289 of 510 Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Several times during the project I told Gary that the random wall tile idea may be a Forum first but I would bet it wouldn't be the last. It would please me if there are other adaptations and improvements in the future.
Yeah, you did mention it quite a few time during the build. And I too want to see what others could/would do with this idea too. cool.gif

Oh, I forgot to tell you, those above & below the panels ropelights got a lot of compliment from my visitors too! wink.gif
post #290 of 510 Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Gary, outstanding build!

biggrin.gif

I find myself checking this thread often, but not being able to post my thoughts because I'm usually on my mobile.

Looks great and your camera skills are on point! Might reach out to you for some photo tips in the near future.

Hope all is well with the fam and congrats again.

post #291 of 510 Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Gary, outstanding build!

biggrin.gif

I find myself checking this thread often, but not being able to post my thoughts because I'm usually on my mobile.

Looks great and your camera skills are on point! Might reach out to you for some photo tips in the near future.

Hope all is well with the fam and congrats again.
Thanks buddy! Yup, contact me whenever you'll need some photo tips. cool.gif
post #292 of 510 Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

4 zones in the HT.

Mike, while I'm sure you can pickup a graphic eye cheaper, the Insteon provides a solution that then gets you barrier of entry into other elements of control already done for you. You buy a couple of dimmers and the IRLinc, and you're ready to control your lights with your Logitech or whatever remote you have. Same as a graphic eye. However, unlike the graphic eye, you can now buy applicanceLinc (for higher current loads) switches that will toggle something like a Behringer EP or iNuke with no significant additional cost. Same can be said about adding garage door closers, ect. Once you do that initial buy-in to the platform expansion is a much simpler pill to swallow.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #293 of 510 Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 10
Great room! Panels look great. Did you end up going 1", 1.5" and 2" for depths? After building so many panels, any tips/tricks/gotchas for assembling them for someone inspired by [read: copying] your design? Did I see a picture of BIG routing them?
post #294 of 510 Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbc3 View Post

Great room! Panels look great. Did you end up going 1", 1.5" and 2" for depths? After building so many panels, any tips/tricks/gotchas for assembling them for someone inspired by [read: copying] your design? Did I see a picture of BIG routing them?
Yes, we did end up with 1", 1.5", and 2" thick for the panels. And yup, that's the famous BIG working.
post #295 of 510 Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Gary,

I followed along on your Small yet Cozy HT build, but somehow missed this one. I read your thread today and I can say that you (and Big) did a fantastic job bringing this all together. I absolutely love the different sized panels, that brings a different and unique "texture" to the space. While I tend to like and gravitate to the darker colors for a theater, I really like the color scheme of your theater. It really does set it apart from others and is a refreshing take on a dedicated space. You have a very classy and rich looking space. Well done, very well done indeed.

I may have missed it, but how did you determine your need for the diffuser panels at the rear of the room and where did you get them? Don't see many panels that look like that (even here on AVS) so I'm curious.

Again great job and what a great space you have.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #296 of 510 Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Gary,

I followed along on your Small yet Cozy HT build, but somehow missed this one. I read your thread today and I can say that you (and Big) did a fantastic job bringing this all together. I absolutely love the different sized panels, that brings a different and unique "texture" to the space. While I tend to like and gravitate to the darker colors for a theater, I really like the color scheme of your theater. It really does set it apart from others and is a refreshing take on a dedicated space. You have a very classy and rich looking space. Well done, very well done indeed.

I may have missed it, but how did you determine your need for the diffuser panels at the rear of the room and where did you get them? Don't see many panels that look like that (even here on AVS) so I'm curious.

Again great job and what a great space you have.

Regards,

RTROSE
Thanks for the kind words RT. smile.gif

The rear diffusor panels are from Auralex Q'Fusor http://www.auralex.com/sound_diffusor_qfusor/sound_diffusor_qfusor.asp

p.s. hope you'll fix your sub in no time bud. btw, it's a FV15HP, correct?
post #297 of 510 Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Your welcome. Those panels look very interesting and the product info is an interesting read. I must confess that I have waded into the deep end of the pool several times regarding the acoustic treatments thread and each time I end up drowning in information over my head. I have started "experimenting" with some 703 panels in my space to see if I can indeed hear a difference and there is no doubt that what I am doing is changing the acoustic footprint of my room.

Yes my sub is a Rythmik FV15HP, and I too hope to be back in business very soon.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #298 of 510 Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I've crossed the 100hrs mark on the projector, I finally had Tom Huffman (from ChromaPure) to come over to do the calibration for me.

Before Tom's professional calibration, I did some quick and dirty calibration myself using Disney's WOW disc. And thought the factory setting & my calibration was pretty good. And later was confirmed by Tom that the gray scale tracking was pretty good to start with using factory's User1 setting.

However, one thing I wasn't too please from my JVC was the black level and contrast which they are famous for and part of the reason I bought into JVC versus other manufacturers like Sony. When me & Big were working on the HT, he mentioned how beautiful it is the latest Bond film, Skyfall, looks. Especially the night scene in Shanghai & Macau. When I watch those scenes, I wasn't 100% impressed. I even tried to close down the aperture, still wasn't 100% happy. I expected more.....

Now after Tom's calibration, I must say "Now this IS what I'm talking about!". The color is much much better which I thought it was pretty good from the factory, but Tom really like crank it up a couple of notches. Color are much more "pop" now, with very natural skin tone. And the contrast, black level, both are much much better even we now had the aperture open up all the way to -3 instead of my previous -11 (attempt to increase contrast & darker black). Now I ended up with a much brighter picture (approx. 13ftL) and super black with accurate color to boost!

I must say I would HIGHLY recommend anyone invest the money for a professional calibration especially after you've spent so much money on the HT, you really own yourself the best possible picture on your shiny projector! With a before & after comparison, even my wife said "It's money well spent honey!" (and we all know how rare does it come along) wink.gif

Here's some number for comparison:
Before After
Gamma 2.01 2.25
Color DeltaE 6.7 2.2
Gray Scale DeltaE 2.8 1.7

Tom at work.

P.S. HOWEVER, I must note that Tom was having trouble to get the Green color to reference level tho! Regardless whatever the projector allows him to do, Tom just couldn't get the Green to be spot on, and also it slightly affect the Cyan too. He said it's not the first time he's having problem with the Green as many display manufacturers try to boost the Green to get as much brightness for their projectors.
post #299 of 510 Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Man your theater is REALLY nice man good job.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the professional calibration cost?

I'm close to where these guys are located and I probably have like 200 hours or so on my projector, and haven't changed ANY settings on it and I think the picture looks great. I'd definitely be willing to spend some extra $$$ to get it professionally calibrated though if it makes a big difference. And like you said, having spent so much money already on it, what is a little more?

I also noticed in the pics he's doing the calibration in a pretty lit up area - the ambient light does not matter during calibration?

EDIT:

n/m I contacted them via the contact us page on their site and he got back to me.
post #300 of 510 Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Man your theater is REALLY nice man good job.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the professional calibration cost?

I'm close to where these guys are located and I probably have like 200 hours or so on my projector, and haven't changed ANY settings on it and I think the picture looks great. I'd definitely be willing to spend some extra $$$ to get it professionally calibrated though if it makes a big difference. And like you said, having spent so much money already on it, what is a little more?

I also noticed in the pics he's doing the calibration in a pretty lit up area - the ambient light does not matter during calibration?

EDIT:

n/m I contacted them via the contact us page on their site and he got back to me.
Sorry for my late reply. I'm not sure if I can post price in here, but I guess you've got your answer. If not, you can PM me. FYI, Tom Huffman is also a member here & active over at the calibration sub-forum. And he lives within the same city as you do.

As for the lights, it's on when he's setting up his equipment and stuffs. When he's doing the calibration, all lights are off.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Harmony 900 Remote , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Directv , Sonos , Wii U , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page