AVS Forum banner
190K views 545 replies 116 participants last post by  xray001 
#1 ·
Update as it goes....

The article about this HT on Electronic House

Before:

After:

Room size:

20' x 15' x 9' give or take a few inches.

Riser height is 12", depth is 7' from the back wall.

Color:

GOM FR701 Black on the screen wall

GOM Anchorage Birch on the stagger panels

GOM Anchorage Fossil on the surrounding panels

Acoustic Treatment:

Front wall -- Linacoustic on top & bottom of the screen.

Side walls -- floor to ceiling Linacoustic on both side approx. the area between the front speakers to the side of front row.

Back wall -- Auralex Q'Fusor diffusor panels on the top 2 rows of the panels . 2" OC703 in the bottom row of the panels with 2" air-gap.

Audio:

Currently running 9.2 setup

Definitive Technology:

2x BP7001SC mains,

CLR3000 center,

4x BPX surrounds,

2x Di6.5S height channels.

2x SVS PB12-Plus DSP

Denon 4520 (only powering the height channels)

Emotiva XPA-2 (for the mains)

Emotiva XPA-5 (for the center & surrounds)

Video:

JVC RS4810

Darbee Vision

Seymour Screen Excellent 2.35:1 138" diagonal screen

Equipment Lists:

OPPO 93 player

DirecTV box

Sonos Connect

Wii

Xbox360

Popcorn Hour A300 streamer

10TB WHS v1 (soon will be replaced with a DS1812+ NAS box)

Middle Atlantic Slim5 5-37U rack with custom RSH faceplates
Ikea bookcase (for disc storage)

Insteon (lighting control)

Harmony 900 remote

Seats:
8 Palliser HiFi in Phoenix fabric, Chocalate color.

Configuration as

lOlOOlOl 1st row (12.5' from the screen)

lOlOlOlO| 2nd row (15" from the back wall)

Outside the HT entry:
2 LED movie poster frame with motion sensor control via Insteon

~~ Originally post ~~

Ok, I've been away from the forum a bit the past couple of years.... Mainly because I'm enjoying my little HT ! Yeah, it's hard to believe it's been almost 3 1/2 years since my build! And needless to say, we've been enjoying it every single movie, and it even earn me a spot in the Electronic House's DIY showcase too.

Now, fast forward to present, my back then GF is now my official boss aka wife! And our family is growing too (expecting our first baby this Dec.)! So, we are buying a bigger house to accommodate our growing family. And that means, YES, I get to build a new HT soon!!

It's a new build, current projected finish date is in next Feb/Mar time frame (sooooo, this thread won't be update as often in the near future). The builder give me 8 weeks time to fully finalize everything/options. I still have about 5 weeks left to tell them what I want to do for my HT.

From what I've learn from my first HT, here's the improvement that I want:

- seat at least 8 people

- an equipment rack

- acoustic treatment (for both audio & noise)

Now, here's the floor plan of the basement:

and here's what I have come up with for my new HT:

What do you think?

The room size will be 20'x15'x9'. I'm think to have a 7-8' deep riser for the 2nd row, so the 1st row will sit about 12'-13' away. I want more space in between the screen & the 1st row so the family have more room when playing games for like Wii/Kinect/etc. And I'm thinking to have a 110-120" screen in the near future too. And probably a 3D projector IF/WHEN they make a good one and more good Avatar-like 3D movie instead of some "in-your-face" so called 3D movies! And with the 3D & lumen output in mind, I'm thinking to put the projector probably 12-14' from the screen to have as much lumen as possible from the projector and enough distance for a 120" projected image.

I'll be re-using the majority of my current equipments, at least that's what I told my wife. But will sure upgrading them down the road when money isn't as tight as buying a house & having a baby soon....

And I'm waiting for the quote from the builder about putting up double layer of drywall and if it's ok for me to supply them GG to apply in between the layers. I don't have a sensitive family, and almost 100% of the time when I'm watching a movie in the HT, my wife will be with me too. So, I don't need/care a 100% sound proofed HT. But do want an improvement especially since I'm giving the chances to do it on a new build.

I'll also meeting their wiring contractor to discuss about the speaker wires in the HT (7.1), living room(5.1), and probably in our bedroom. Cat6 to every single room/kitchen/garage for networking (mainly streaming movies/videos to HTPCs) & future home automation (still hoping a Harmony could do what I want to do, if not, then I probably will dip into Control4).

I've already told them to add a dedicated 20amp circuit to both the HT and the garage.

I think I'll only have 3' of depth in the equipment room. I think the MA Slim5 is about 20" depth right? So, do you think 36" depth will be ok?

Anything else that I should tell the builder, or I should look out? 'Cos this is our first new build house, I really have no idea what/where should we pay attention to. And the above plan is as future proof as I could think of.....

See less See more
#228 ·

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkem  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/210#post_22990743

Is the drawer motorized? Have you rigged up a voice command module to it?

"Remotes, please." brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpt...click
LOL.... I would LOVE that!!

#230 ·
Landshark1 had Monday off so we attacked his remaing punch list of items. The biggest item was to fabricate the front wall panels which will surround his screen, hide his height speakers, and contain some acoustical treatments.

The wood is the basic finger joined pine (comes in 16 ft lengths) I bought the 5/4 x 3 1/2 size and ripped in half. Made four panels. customized for the slanted walls and sloped ceiling. (Builder special) The frames will get covered with black FR701 GOM. Frames assembled with 3 inch screws.

In the picture the frames are just sitting in place we will add some little dabs of Velcro later.

Just to show a little more detail, one panel removed

#232 ·
Do you have rope light above and below all of those panels? How did you attach them to the wall? Are the ones on the rear wall just sitting over the diffusion panels? Any method to how you arranged the diffusion panels? What did you put above the panels to "finish" it?

#233 ·
We ended up using rope light channel stapled in place for all the rope lights. The wall panels were arranged randomly by computer. The randomness is not the diffusion it is just for looks. I found a mosaic tile pattern generator on line and it did the work.

the diffuser panels:

see Landshark's post

#234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/210#post_23028055

Do you have rope light above and below all of those panels? How did you attach them to the wall? Are the ones on the rear wall just sitting over the diffusion panels? Any method to how you arranged the diffusion panels? What did you put above the panels to "finish" it?
actually this is the diffusor panel that we use. http://www.auralex.com/sound_diffusor_qfusor/sound_diffusor_qfusor.asp

I arranged them alternatively, vertical-horizontal-vertical pattern at the back wall.

and here's the the tracking that we use to hold the rope light for the top one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TSI7MC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the bottom lights are taken care by gravity.

#237 ·
Super cool! I gotta do something like that with the inside of my door next time your in my neck of the woods again!

#238 ·
Fantastic work. The various lighting is impressive and the shadows created by the panels looks great.

How about a video?

#239 ·
Yay! The HT is officially DONE!! (well, at least for the construction or the "phase I" stage)
still need to finish up programming the Insteon scenes to the Harmony.

I'm really really thanks to Big, without him, my HT won't even be remotely close to what it is!

I spent the afternoon cleaning up the HT & the outside basement area. I'll take some pics hopefully next weekend and update the first post with more detail setup.

Btw, we did a quick reading/analysis of the room this morning using Big's Omni mic. I think we both quite happy with the end result. RT60 time is about 27~37ms. The sub & the mains cross very nicely @ 60hz. Bass frequency responses seems pretty good/flat according to Big. But I do have a small dip, -5hz @ 40hz at the MLP. The SVS is running at 20hz mode, and I got some good bump and extension probably from the room itself down to about 18hz. I think I'll try to run it at 16hz mode and see how it goes sometimes in the future. And I'll probably hold off of getting another sub for now too. The only thing is we saw a big dip at 1khz or so regardless where we put the mic at. My main concern was how the acoustic treatment that I put on will interact with the room. Will the room be too "dead" or still not enough (too much reverb). After the measurement, I'm happy to see (and hear) how the "room" sounds.

Now... what should I watch tonight....??

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/210#post_23039975

Fantastic work. The various lighting is impressive and the shadows created by the panels looks great.

How about a video?
I could try one later.

#242 ·
Wow, really really nice. Now you're making me rethink my design! When's the MD meetup?

#243 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention, I just picked up an Emotiva XPA2 amp to power the mains from craiglist yesterday for $500! Received the RSH faceplate from MA this morning and installed it on the rack right before Big came by.

Just finished watching Breaking Dawn 2 (wife's choice, don't ask!) to celebrate this special night! At least I really do like how the ambient/surround sound sounds in the HT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/240#post_23041065

Congrats Gary, The staggered height panels came out real nice. Over all a very impressive room. How far off the back wall are your rear seats?

Thanks. The back of the 2nd row is about a foot or so from the face of the fabric panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/240#post_23041317

Wow, really really nice. Now you're making me rethink my design! When's the MD meetup?

Thanks. I'll think about hosting a meet if there's enough local interest down the road.

#244 ·
Great job, fellas. The room looks fantastic.

#245 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/240#post_23041588

........Just finished watching Breaking Dawn 2 (wife's choice, don't ask!) to celebrate this special night! At least I really do like how the ambient/surround sound sounds in the HT! ......

Whoa, whoa! You tried to slide that one by us, didn't ya. Opening night was Twilight? Man card, please

J/K, dude. I don't know about you, but my wife is a big supporter of my HT. If she decides she wants to watch Unicorns and leprechauns vs fluffy kittens and butterflies on opening night, that's what we'll watch

#246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/240#post_23042736

Whoa, whoa! You tried to slide that one by us, didn't ya. Opening night was Twilight? Man card, please

J/K, dude. I don't know about you, but my wife is a big supporter of my HT. If she decides she wants to watch Unicorns and leprechauns vs fluffy kittens and butterflies on opening night, that's what we'll watch

+1

You gotta know when to pay the piper to keep that support going (and yes I consider watching Twilight punishment). Congrats!

#247 ·
Great job It looks great!!

#248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/240#post_23042736

My wife has all of them and she and a girlfriend are waiting to do a marathon (she read the books while the theater was out of commission). I told them that the first few movies will be Batman and Skyfall and maybe the Hobbit if it's out, after that they can have it.

Turned out nicely Gary, so what is your Phase 2 plan you mentioned?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.