AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush85 View Post

Awesome theater landshark.

We are in the early stages of planning to build a new home (near you hopefully in western Howard County). Wife was a bit skeptical of a dedicated home theater , but when I showed the wife pictures of what you've done she wanted it.
Awesome! Welcome to the club and good to see another local build coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 502 Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

Speaking of Bipoles, how do you find yours sound with the acoustic tiles? Did you lose anything up front without the direct reflection of sound? That was the main reason I was not gonna treat the room, that is until I saw your build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I didn't put anything on the front wall in the path of the rear facing speaker on my 7001 and it's side wall. So I didn't lose it's unique bipolar effect that we all love. I put the acoustic material starting on the side wall from the edge of the front firing speakers of tower.

Quote:

OK gotcha, so pretty much the first 2 rows of tiles on the left and right walls have nothing but the GOM on them, and same for the screen wall?

Did you do the Linacoustic above the mains on either wall? and how far back did you go? all the way to the corners?

Thanks
Yes. There's nothing behind the panel right next to the speaker (all 3 sides). Front wall has linacoustic on top & below the screen. As for the side walls, starting from the edge of the speaker to the first reflection point, I have linacoustic from floor to ceiling.

If I would do it again or could change the config, I'll put the linacoustic from the first reflection point to the back wall from floor to about ear level too.
Quote:

Nice, that should be pretty easy to accomplish for me then.

Thanks much, I imagine I will be picking your brain lots in the months to come smile.gif

Already got some GOM samples headed our way to pick some colors out.
Anytime. wink.gif
post #363 of 502 Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #364 of 502 Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Great! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #365 of 502 Old 06-15-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A small update of the HT here.

I've never happy with the bass performance in the room. Not because of the subwoofer that I have, but it's due to the room mode of the HT. Me & Big did a brief measurement when we finished the room and saw a good null @ 40hz in MY seat. Needless to say, I didn't "feel" much bass at all while the 2nd row was enjoying some pretty good bass massage back there. With the help from other forum members and pros (like Bryan Pape), my front row is in fact sitting at a null!

I've done everything that I could included move the sub at the back corner in the room instead of up front, and move the 1st row 6" forward. It helps a bit. I felt a little bit of the bass versus there's nothing before. However, the bass between the front row & the back row is still quite big of a difference! And I don't want to spend any more money on the 2nd sub before I "fix" this problem first.

After talked to Bryan, it seems like I have no choice but to "kind of" redo the whole back wall to absorb more bass especially down low. So bass energy won't stay near the back wall hints super bass massage at the 2nd row, while less bass energy will bounce back into the room to create a cancellation at the 1st row. We are looking for at least a 6" thick of absorber here!

I already have some sort of idea how to do this without completely tear down and redo the whole back wall. Now I'll just need to wait for some available time slot from the super popular BIG's help. cool.gif
post #366 of 502 Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

A small update of the HT here.

I've never happy with the bass performance in the room. Not because of the subwoofer that I have, but it's due to the room mode of the HT. Me & Big did a brief measurement when we finished the room and saw a good null @ 40hz in MY seat. Needless to say, I didn't "feel" much bass at all while the 2nd row was enjoying some pretty good bass massage back there. With the help from other forum members and pros (like Bryan Pape), my front row is in fact sitting at a null!

I've done everything that I could included move the sub at the back corner in the room instead of up front, and move the 1st row 6" forward. It helps a bit. I felt a little bit of the bass versus there's nothing before. However, the bass between the front row & the back row is still quite big of a difference! And I don't want to spend any more money on the 2nd sub before I "fix" this problem first.

After talked to Bryan, it seems like I have no choice but to "kind of" redo the whole back wall to absorb more bass especially down low. So bass energy won't stay near the back wall hints super bass massage at the 2nd row, while less bass energy will bounce back into the room to create a cancellation at the 1st row. We are looking for at least a 6" thick of absorber here!

I already have some sort of idea how to do this without completely tear down and redo the whole back wall. Now I'll just need to wait for some available time slot from the super popular BIG's help. cool.gif

Oh man that sounds like major surgery frown.gif... i thought the room sounded very good when i was there but then again we kept stoping and pausing and changing movies so i never got to really sit and enjoy the room.
post #367 of 502 Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

Oh man that sounds like major surgery frown.gif... i thought the room sounded very good when i was there but then again we kept stoping and pausing and changing movies so i never got to really sit and enjoy the room.
I hope we don't have to tear down all the panels at the back wall. We'll see what Big could come up with for the modification. I'm hoping we could just build some more panels and mount directly on top of the existing one.

And don't get me wrong, I love how it sounds in the room. The mains, the surrounds, the heights, and the whole sound stage sound awesome. Just I don't "feel" any bass at the 1st row versus a bit too much at the 2nd row. And it's been bugging me since day one.....
post #368 of 502 Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

You wrote "subwoofer" - does that imply a single one? In that case I would recommend you to try a few more to flatten out the resonance pattern. Usually it's at least four.

post #369 of 502 Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:

I hope we don't have to tear down all the panels at the back wall. We'll see what Big could come up with for the modification. I'm hoping we could just build some more panels and mount directly on top of the existing one.

And don't get me wrong, I love how it sounds in the room. The mains, the surrounds, the heights, and the whole sound stage sound awesome. Just I don't "feel" any bass at the 1st row versus a bit too much at the 2nd row. And it's been bugging me since day one.....

Your equipment rack is in the way of adding a few corner bass traps. I'm sure Big will help you come up with something. However, as nightlord mentioned above, you might be able to alleviate some of the issue with another sub.

You mentioned awhile back that you were going to be getting another PB12-Plus. Why don't you give that a try before you consider tearing up the room? $1,399 for another PB12-Plus means you would have $2,800 invested in subs. Man, what I could do with $2,800...

biggrin.gif

post #370 of 502 Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

You wrote "subwoofer" - does that imply a single one? In that case I would recommend you to try a few more to flatten out the resonance pattern. Usually it's at least four.
Yes, just a single one at the moment. And do plan to get another one down the road. 4 PB12-Plus is totally out of the question. Not only the funding issue, but the spacing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

That sucks! I remember months ago asking you about the sound of the new theater compared to the old and you said the bass response needed some tweaking. A shame that you weren't able to fix the problem with some minor modifications. The dimensions of your room and the position of your front row seems pretty similar to many theaters. A bit concerning that you have hit such a serious null in this typical arrangment.
Looks like a great opportunity for some empirical experimentation. Are you able to measure the response at your seating position before tearing things apart then remeasure after you load the back of the room with bass absorption? Quest for knowledge, for the greater good, all that stuff. I have seen some before and after measurements (on the Real Traps site I think) but given the amount of effort that many apply to bass absorption there doesn't seem to be a lot of objective comparisions out there. Even so, I'm a believer...within reason.

Seeing your plight, maybe I will be less critical of my own setup with a single row crammed against the rear wall. Boundary bass boost ain't all bad.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Yes, I do plan to do some before and after measurement to see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Your equipment rack is in the way of adding a few corner bass traps. I'm sure Big will help you come up with something. However, as nightlord mentioned above, you might be able to alleviate some of the issue with another sub.

You mentioned awhile back that you were going to be getting another PB12-Plus. Why don't you give that a try before you consider tearing up the room?
I want to "fix" the room bass problem first before spending anymore money on another sub. Adding more sub will even out the response; however, it won't cue the excessive boundary bass and the room null due to wall bounce frequent cancellation. So, either way, I'll need to add more bass trap.
Quote:
$1,399 for another PB12-Plus means you would have $2,800 invested in subs. Man, what I could do with $2,800... biggrin.gif
You will bring your whole house down. tongue.gif
post #371 of 502 Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, if 4-8 of those are too big/expensive, then why not go for a larger number of something smaller/less expensive that will give you the same perfomance but the bonus of multiple points of radiation? 8x diy 10" ?

post #372 of 502 Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
How about some diysoundgroup subs ?
post #373 of 502 Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, just a single one at the moment. And do plan to get another one down the road. 4 PB12-Plus is totally out of the question. Not only the funding issue, but the spacing too.
Yes, I do plan to do some before and after measurement to see if it helps.

I want to "fix" the room bass problem first before spending anymore money on another sub. Adding more sub will even out the response; however, it won't cue the excessive boundary bass and the room null due to wall bounce frequent cancellation. So, either way, I'll need to add more bass trap.

Gary, your above statement is contradictory. Excessive boundary bass (peaks) and null's are a result of your subs in room response. By evening out the room response, you will be flattening out the response curve and addressing those peaks and nulls. Adding more subs and properly treating a room (bass traps) both play a substantial role in evening out your room response. In addition, digital sound processors (DSP), products such as the miniDSP, etc... Can be a very useful in flattening out your response by allowing you to add parametric eq shelving filters to boost/cut certain frequencies and also allow you to addressing phase and add time delays to help integrate the subs into your system.

All I was getting at is that by getting your second sub in place, you might find that your room response may change to within your tolerance level.

Acoustics are a very complicated thing. I don't claim to know anywhere near what some of the experts on the forum do on the subject. However, I'm confident in saying that if you were to address the excessive boundary bass that you are experiencing at the moment, as soon as you introduce another sub/subs, it's going to change your response.

I'm not arguing against doing what you can with the issue now, I just want you to know that by adding another sub, no matter how much tweaking you do now, your most likely going to tweak things all over again. IMO, if you add the second sub now, it might help alleviate some of the "mode" issues you are experiencing.

But, if you want to go altering that pretty room of yours, I'm not going to stop you. frown.gif

Since you mention that you are going to be taking some measurements, I assume you have REW, Omnimic or some other type of measuring gear. If you wanted to invest the time, I guarantee you that you could address most of these issues yourself and the lessons you learn from the experience would stick with you for the rest of your HT days.

Something to think about.

biggrin.gif

post #374 of 502 Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gary, your above statement is contradictory. Excessive boundary bass (peaks) and null's are a result of your subs in room response. By evening out the room response, you will be flattening out the response curve and addressing those peaks and nulls. Adding more subs and properly treating a room (bass traps) both play a substantial role in evening out your room response. In addition, digital sound processors (DSP), products such as the miniDSP, etc... Can be a very useful in flattening out your response by allowing you to add parametric eq shelving filters to boost/cut certain frequencies and also allow you to addressing phase and add time delays to help integrate the subs into your system.

All I was getting at is that by getting your second sub in place, you might find that your room response may change to within your tolerance level.

Acoustics are a very complicated thing. I don't claim to know anywhere near what some of the experts on the forum do on the subject. However, I'm confident in saying that if you were to address the excessive boundary bass that you are experiencing at the moment, as soon as you introduce another sub/subs, it's going to change your response.

I'm not arguing against doing what you can with the issue now, I just want you to know that by adding another sub, no matter how much tweaking you do now, your most likely going to tweak things all over again. IMO, if you add the second sub now, it might help alleviate some of the "mode" issues you are experiencing.

But, if you want to go altering that pretty room of yours, I'm not going to stop you. frown.gif

Since you mention that you are going to be taking some measurements, I assume you have REW, Omnimic or some other type of measuring gear. If you wanted to invest the time, I guarantee you that you could address most of these issues yourself and the lessons you learn from the experience would stick with you for the rest of your HT days.

Something to think about.

biggrin.gif
You have a very good point. Just I'm thinking there's no amount of speakers/subwoofers to substitute good room treatment. And that's why I want to start with the treatment first.

Btw, I'm thinking to get the Omnimic after seen it from Big. Very simple get going. How about REW? Is it hard to get it working? Or what do I need besides a good mic? I'm getting a new Macbook Pro (my 5 yrs old one died last week) and the current modern models has a HDMI out built in. Is it good?
post #375 of 502 Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have a very good point. Just I'm thinking there's no amount of speakers/subwoofers to substitute good room treatment. And that's why I want to start with the treatment first.

Btw, I'm thinking to get the Omnimic after seen it from Big. Very simple get going. How about REW? Is it hard to get it working? Or what do I need besides a good mic? I'm getting a new Macbook Pro (my 5 yrs old one died last week) and the current modern models has a HDMI out built in. Is it good?

I agree with you 100%! I didn't mean to imply that you should just throw woofage at the problem and expect to have all of the issues resolved. Room acoustics is a very complicated/elaborate/delicate issue that goes well beyond my understanding at this point.

With that said, taking the leap and learning to address the issues yourself will do wonders to expand your knowledge in the hobby that you've come to love so much. That's one of the things I love so much about the DIY world. The more you understand, the easier it is to really piece together the big picture, ya know?

Omnimic is plug-n-play for $299. Comes with a test done disc that you put into your DVD player, then you plug up your USB mic, load the calibration file and you are off and running.

I don't have much experience with REW, but since it has developed into a plug-n-play system, I think it might be worth exploring. I'd say that it is just as powerful (possibly moreso) than Omnimic, but it can be a bit more of a hassle to get online. REW, as you know is free, but you have to purchase a calibrated mic and hook up your laptop to your AVR via HDMI to run test tones. Meaning you will have to worry about two cords for REW vs one for OM. It's up to which approach you would like to take.

If I were you I would download REW, scoop up the MiniDSP I mentioned above and pick up a mic from the same company (some will argue that there are better calibrated mics, but in my opinion we are talking minute differences). Once you get good with REW you will be able to do some really cool things with the miniDSP to help address response issued. <---Cool things I've yet to figure out myself!

tongue.gif

PM if you're interested in checking out my miniDSP / OM combo. You can stop by my place or I could even bring it by your place to check out if you like.

post #376 of 502 Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with you 100%! I didn't mean to imply that you should just throw woofage at the problem and expect to have all of the issues resolved. Room acoustics is a very complicated/elaborate/delicate issue that goes well beyond my understanding at this point.

With that said, taking the leap and learning to address the issues yourself will do wonders to expand your knowledge in the hobby that you've come to love so much. That's one of the things I love so much about the DIY world. The more you understand, the easier it is to really piece together the big picture, ya know?

Omnimic is plug-n-play for $299. Comes with a test done disc that you put into your DVD player, then you plug up your USB mic, load the calibration file and you are off and running.

I don't have much experience with REW, but since it has developed into a plug-n-play system, I think it might be worth exploring. I'd say that it is just as powerful (possibly moreso) than Omnimic, but it can be a bit more of a hassle to get online. REW, as you know is free, but you have to purchase a calibrated mic and hook up your laptop to your AVR via HDMI to run test tones. Meaning you will have to worry about two cords for REW vs one for OM. It's up to which approach you would like to take.

If I were you I would download REW, scoop up the MiniDSP I mentioned above and pick up a mic from the same company (some will argue that there are better calibrated mics, but in my opinion we are talking minute differences). Once you get good with REW you will be able to do some really cool things with the miniDSP to help address response issued. <---Cool things I've yet to figure out myself!

tongue.gif

PM if you're interested in checking out my miniDSP / OM combo. You can stop by my place or I could even bring it by your place to check out if you like.
For some reasons I thought you are using REW..... Yeah, Big had shown me Omnimic in action when we finished the room. And I'm planning to get that mainly due to it's simple plug-and-play like you said. And I also thought about look into the MiniDSP if I've never able to fix my null & peak problem via acoustic treatment & Audessey XT32/SubEQ using 2 subs. If I do, I'll probably need to reach out to you for help. wink.gif
post #377 of 502 Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What stand are you using for the center channel? I have almost all the same def tech speakers and am looking for a stand for my CLR 2500.

Love your setup; looks awesome.
post #378 of 502 Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBorn View Post

What stand are you using for the center channel? I have almost all the same def tech speakers and am looking for a stand for my CLR 2500.

Love your setup; looks awesome.
This is the stand that I'm using for the CLR3000 --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZLZ7K/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #379 of 502 Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Looks Great!!!

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #380 of 502 Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #381 of 502 Old 06-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:

A bit more progress today. We spent a whole morning just to sand all the frames at Big's shop. Then we head to my house to build a few panels.

The back of the panel stuffed with Linacoustic.

Testing our design concept, stagger/patchy random wall pattern.

We like it a lot! The design is "different" than most other fabric wall design. smile.gif

Just out of curiosity, did you do linacoustic in all of your side wall panels, or just the center horizontal row?
post #382 of 502 Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsor View Post

Just out of curiosity, did you do linacoustic in all of your side wall panels, or just the center horizontal row?

Nevermind. I just saw the answer above smile.gif.
post #383 of 502 Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsor View Post

Just the panels in between the front speaker to the 1st row. About 3 panels wide. And the surrounding panels at the front wall. If I would do it again, I think I would also put the linacoustic from the 1st row to the back wall, but only about ear level high.
post #384 of 502 Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hello, I followed your first HT build and now just discovered your second. Great job on both. I just built one myself at a 21x12.5x9. When I was looking at your pictures, your's seems to look much longer than 20', is that the camera shot. Also, I am looking at acoustical panels now. How would you say the sound is different with your new room vs your old?

Thanks,

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #385 of 502 Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Hello, I followed your first HT build and now just discovered your second. Great job on both. I just built one myself at a 21x12.5x9. When I was looking at your pictures, your's seems to look much longer than 20', is that the camera shot. Also, I am looking at acoustical panels now. How would you say the sound is different with your new room vs your old?

Thanks,
Yeah, that's the beauty of a ultra wide angle lens. cool.gif

After this, I truly believe room acoustic is more important than most people think. As some professional said, a well treated room with HTIB speakers will sound better than an untreated room with expensive speakers.

I've been busy on other things lately (non AV new toy biggrin.gif ). However, I did stack some 4" thick OC703 at the back wall and recalibrated with Audyssey, the 2nd row seems better now. But I didn't spend enough time to be able to tell the difference at the 1st row tho. I guess I'll need to order a OmniMic this week and do some testing to see the improvement.
post #386 of 502 Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM

I must say - i just read thru your entire thread and your room looks great!!!!!

2 Thumbs way up - thanks for sharing all the info that you have - I'm sure all the dimmers and switches will make their way into my future build.
post #387 of 502 Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prican2000 View Post

I must say - i just read thru your entire thread and your room looks great!!!!!

2 Thumbs way up - thanks for sharing all the info that you have - I'm sure all the dimmers and switches will make their way into my future build.
Thanks prican. smile.gif
post #388 of 502 Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Mate,

Awesome build. I love the staggered wall. Congrats.

Not sure if this has been asked allready, but how do you find the colour of the walls with light reflections from the screen?

Especially running the JVC which is no slouch.

The reason i ask, my current HT has no treatments but painted low sheen dark grey and it still lights up considerably to the point of a little distraction?

Cheers from OZ.
post #389 of 502 Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanb21 View Post

Hi Mate,

Awesome build. I love the staggered wall. Congrats.

Not sure if this has been asked allready, but how do you find the colour of the walls with light reflections from the screen?

Especially running the JVC which is no slouch.

The reason i ask, my current HT has no treatments but painted low sheen dark grey and it still lights up considerably to the point of a little distraction?

Cheers from OZ.
Hmmm..... I've never noticed or distracted from any reflection. I'm sure there might be some from either the ceiling or the wall, but it's not enough to be distractive to me.
post #390 of 502 Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, finally received the OmniMic from PartExpress. Before I start doing any measurement for the sub, I want to double check with you guys first. I assume I should turn off Audessey before doing any measurement for the sub, correct? And once I found the best FR location, then I'll re-run Audessey again?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Harmony 900 Remote , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Directv , Sonos , Wii U , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page