My New Home Theater 2.0, Staggered Wall HT. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 510 Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Member
 
ckgolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: schenectady
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to use your design as inspiration for my theater. I showed my wife your theater and told her I want to do something similar. She absolutely loves it. That's half the battle won right there! smile.gif

My question to you is... do you have any regrets about not doing more soundproofing? I have an end unit town home that's being built right now, I will put the theater in the basement on the far end. My only concern is annoying the neighbors with my duel 18" subs. I feel like you in that I don't need absolute sound isolation. Was it ever a concern at all in your last theater or even this one? Should I opt to spend a little extra to at least decouple the room? (double walls and clips on ceiling)
ckgolf is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 510 Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,144
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Landshark1 will have his opinion but from my point of view you are buying a unit in a multi family structure, if you want to enjoy your dual 18 inch subs you need to soundproof. You should check with the builder and gain an appreciation for how the units are separated and soundproofing is achieved, maybe you will be lucky and they went above and beyond code. You might also win the lottery.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #453 of 510 Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post

I am going to use your design as inspiration for my theater. I showed my wife your theater and told her I want to do something similar. She absolutely loves it. That's half the battle won right there! smile.gif

My question to you is... do you have any regrets about not doing more soundproofing? I have an end unit town home that's being built right now, I will put the theater in the basement on the far end. My only concern is annoying the neighbors with my duel 18" subs. I feel like you in that I don't need absolute sound isolation. Was it ever a concern at all in your last theater or even this one? Should I opt to spend a little extra to at least decouple the room? (double walls and clips on ceiling)
Sound proofing wasn't my first priority in both builds and my family is totally fine with it. The only time that I'll need to be conservative of the volume (e.g. -15db vs -10db MV) is when my wife is working at home and having a conference call. Even when I crank it to -10db MV, we don't hear a thing at the 2nd floor bedrooms, especially my daughter's room. A separated HVAC system for the 2nd floor really helps to limit the sound travel upstair.

I was fine in my 1st HT as well, end unit townhouse like you. May be I had a nice neighbor? But I didn't have a dual 18s to play with tho (I had a DefTech Supercube1 back then) and listen at <-20db MV. Also there's a laundry/mechanical room sandwiched between the HT space & the common wall helps too. But I could tell you I can hear everything in the 2nd floor bedrooms in my old townhouse tho.

As Big said, if you want to fully enjoy your dual 18s, you do need to really consider totally soundproofing the HT area especially in a townhouse. But I think it's not easy since most modern design townhouse has a fully open space basement area. So you'll have to either closed up the HT area and build a isolated room inside, or you'll have to soundproof "the whole" basement. I could tell you the deep bass is much much harder to contain vs high frequency.

Good luck. smile.gif
landshark1 is offline  
post #454 of 510 Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Love this entire thing....really interested how you did the front faceplates on your gear...looks so smooth and perfect. Did you make a face plate then cover with fabric or something?

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
post #455 of 510 Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,144
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I believe Landshark got out his checkbook and:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rsh/rshcus2.htm
robc1976 likes this.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #456 of 510 Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I believe Landshark got out his checkbook and:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rsh/rshcus2.htm
you're the man!

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
post #457 of 510 Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS
 
snickers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
snickers1 is offline  
post #458 of 510 Old 01-05-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

you may also want to check here you will safe some $$

http://www.customavrack.com/category/20-middle-atlantic-custom-rack-shelves.aspx
+1 This is where I get mine too.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #459 of 510 Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

you may also want to check here you will safe some $$

http://www.customavrack.com/category/20-middle-atlantic-custom-rack-shelves.aspx
awesome!

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
post #460 of 510 Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

you may also want to check here you will safe some $$

http://www.customavrack.com/category/20-middle-atlantic-custom-rack-shelves.aspx
Yes, that's where I got the rack from included the custom faceplates.
landshark1 is offline  
post #461 of 510 Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Yes, that's where I got the rack from included the custom faceplates.
ordered faceplates today (using them a bit different).

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
post #462 of 510 Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Member
 
jollyguy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI Gary,

Excellent home threater!. Your thread has been a HUGE inspiration for me since I am srating my home theater as well with very very similar dimensions as your room. Also 90% same equipment as you and same screen size. So this thread is all the more useful for me.

I have read through all the posts and you had mentioned that you had to install about 6" of OC 703 to the rear wall to get the bass smoothed out. If you dont mind and when you find time can you please post some pictures of how you did this and the finished rear wall? As i mentioned your thread is my guide and since I am going for a dual PB 12 plus it would be hugh help to see what you did in terms of bass trap.

Congrats and Thanks in advance!
jollyguy23 is offline  
post #463 of 510 Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post

HI Gary,

Excellent home threater!. Your thread has been a HUGE inspiration for me since I am srating my home theater as well with very very similar dimensions as your room. Also 90% same equipment as you and same screen size. So this thread is all the more useful for me.

I have read through all the posts and you had mentioned that you had to install about 6" of OC 703 to the rear wall to get the bass smoothed out. If you dont mind and when you find time can you please post some pictures of how you did this and the finished rear wall? As i mentioned your thread is my guide and since I am going for a dual PB 12 plus it would be hugh help to see what you did in terms of bass trap.

Congrats and Thanks in advance!
At the moment, I'm just stacking 2-3 2" thick of OC703 and lean them on the back wall. I'm still waiting for Big/Jeff to come over to redo the whole rear wall panels to hide those OC703 inside. To get to the smooth bass across all seats, I put the 2 SVS in the opposite corner too. And moved the 1st row 6" forward towards the screen.
landshark1 is offline  
post #464 of 510 Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Member
 
jollyguy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply. A follow up question. Are you going to put the OC 703 as a corner bass trap or fill in the rear wall panels with it just like you did with Linacoustic?
jollyguy23 is offline  
post #465 of 510 Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post

Thanks for the reply. A follow up question. Are you going to put the OC 703 as a corner bass trap or fill in the rear wall panels with it just like you did with Linacoustic?
I'm going to fill them in the rear wall panels in place of all Auralex diffusers. Probably in alternated column of the panels.

If you are building from scratch and have the room/design to accommodate some real corner bass trap at the back of the room, do it! I couldn't due to the design & the equipment rack location.
landshark1 is offline  
post #466 of 510 Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
jollyguy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the details and the tips. I am definitely looking in to corner traps.

Congrats on the HT of the month smile.gif
jollyguy23 is offline  
post #467 of 510 Old 02-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
jimmyk36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

At the moment, I'm just stacking 2-3 2" thick of OC703 and lean them on the back wall. I'm still waiting for Big/Jeff to come over to redo the whole rear wall panels to hide those OC703 inside. To get to the smooth bass across all seats, I put the 2 SVS in the opposite corner too. And moved the 1st row 6" forward towards the screen.

Can you post a picture? Not sure I follow?

By stacking do you mean you are making the panels 4-6" thick and then leaning against the wall or are you stacking the floor to ceiling?
jimmyk36 is offline  
post #468 of 510 Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post

Can you post a picture? Not sure I follow?

By stacking do you mean you are making the panels 4-6" thick and then leaning against the wall or are you stacking the floor to ceiling?
Here you go. They are just leaning against the wall and wait for Big to modify the rear wall to fit them inside. Not the prettiest way, but surely the way to go (to get rid of the null at my MLP from the rear wall).



landshark1 is offline  
post #469 of 510 Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Member
 
trmoore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gary,
I'm starting a HT in next few months and my room is the same size as yours. I have a few questions:

1. Is the 12" platform worth it? (compared to 7")
2. Are you happy with your screen size?
3. Are Cat-6 cables fine for future technology?
4. Do you know if IR repeaters are fine for gaming (if the box is in another room) or do you have your Xbox/PS in the room?
5. How many air vents and returns do you have and have your encountered any problems or overkill?

Thanks,
Tom
trmoore2 is offline  
post #470 of 510 Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Member
 
HDLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My goodness, I thought you would be done by now when I first follow your HT thread. Congrats on a great build. I just got into my new place here in NoVA and have been planning on building one in the basement. Thank you for helping us Newbies by documenting your work. Hopefully, you fanatics here can help me out on setting mine up too.
HDLife is offline  
post #471 of 510 Old 02-18-2014, 05:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,144
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Guilty as charged. He wanted me over a long time ago to help out with that back wall.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #472 of 510 Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post

Gary,
I'm starting a HT in next few months and my room is the same size as yours. I have a few questions:

1. Is the 12" platform worth it? (compared to 7")
2. Are you happy with your screen size?
3. Are Cat-6 cables fine for future technology?
4. Do you know if IR repeaters are fine for gaming (if the box is in another room) or do you have your Xbox/PS in the room?
5. How many air vents and returns do you have and have your encountered any problems or overkill?

Thanks,
Tom
1. The platform height was depend on the view angle and was from the online riser calculator.
2. Yes, we are very happy with the screen size to our viewing distance. Just perfect for us.
3. Yes, Cat6 should last you for a long time into the future IMO.
4. I hooked up a IR extender from the Harmony base directly to all the equipments included the Xbox360 (front IR sensor). It works fine.
5. I totally have 4 air vents, but no return vent. It does get hot when I have more than 4 people in the room with no A/C running. I'm thinking when Big come over to redo the rear wall, I might have him to retro fit an exhaust vent/fan somewhere in the room to have the air circulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Guilty as charged. He wanted me over a long time ago to help out with that back wall.
No problem Big. I know you are pretty tide up with another project. Just let me know whenever you are available. I already have the HT version 2.1 in mind. wink.gif
landshark1 is offline  
post #473 of 510 Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Yukichon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow, wow and wow again......amazing build thread. Some great inspiration, detail and lessons to learn.
My family and I are moving to the States in a couple of months and we have bought a lovely new home where I will be adding a dedicated theatre during the remodel. I've already built a cinema room in 2008 and recorded it on this forums UK sister site AV Forums http://www.avforums.com/threads/yukis-new-media-room-project.822998/
Your build has given me lots of new ideas and I congratulate you on a fantastic project.
Yukichon is offline  
post #474 of 510 Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Here you go. They are just leaning against the wall and wait for Big to modify the rear wall to fit them inside. Not the prettiest way, but surely the way to go (to get rid of the null at my MLP from the rear wall).




I like the way you did the walls with fabric covered cubes. Are all of them with acoustic absorbers behind them or are some with difusers?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is online now  
post #475 of 510 Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I like the way you did the walls with fabric covered cubes. Are all of them with acoustic absorbers behind them or are some with difusers?
There's some diffuser behind the panel at the back wall too.
ellisr63 likes this.
landshark1 is offline  
post #476 of 510 Old 03-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
jimmyk36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Here you go. They are just leaning against the wall and wait for Big to modify the rear wall to fit them inside. Not the prettiest way, but surely the way to go (to get rid of the null at my MLP from the rear wall).




Any plans to cover the OC703 with Kraft Paper or Scrim?
jimmyk36 is offline  
post #477 of 510 Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post

Any plans to cover the OC703 with Kraft Paper or Scrim?
Not at the moment as I'm very happy to how the room sounds. Even the surround channels.
landshark1 is offline  
post #478 of 510 Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Newbie
 
bassmaniac69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, I am loving this room Gary! I've just read through the thread in one sitting... so many ideas, my head is spinning!

I love the built out wall with the screen, it's something I have been considering for my room but haven't started yet, the pics give me a bit of confidence on giving it a go!
bassmaniac69 is offline  
post #479 of 510 Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM
 
IwantmyTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greater Metropolatin Los Angeles area Suburb
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Awesome job Landshark1 and Big!
How do you like the layout of your seating? I Plan to do the same front row and 2 love seats in the rear row.
Even thought it would be to sit in the center love seat with my wife it would probably be me and 2 kids LOL
IwantmyTHX is offline  
post #480 of 510 Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantmyTHX View Post

Awesome job Landshark1 and Big!
How do you like the layout of your seating? I Plan to do the same front row and 2 love seats in the rear row.
Even thought it would be to sit in the center love seat with my wife it would probably be me and 2 kids LOL
The love seats are for me & my wife, and we love it. Sometimes we sit there along with our 2 yrs old in the middle when watching a kids movie too.
landshark1 is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Harmony 900 Remote , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Directv , Sonos , Wii U , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off