AVS Forum banner
189K views 545 replies 116 participants last post by  xray001 
#1 ·
Update as it goes....

The article about this HT on Electronic House

Before:

After:

Room size:

20' x 15' x 9' give or take a few inches.

Riser height is 12", depth is 7' from the back wall.

Color:

GOM FR701 Black on the screen wall

GOM Anchorage Birch on the stagger panels

GOM Anchorage Fossil on the surrounding panels

Acoustic Treatment:

Front wall -- Linacoustic on top & bottom of the screen.

Side walls -- floor to ceiling Linacoustic on both side approx. the area between the front speakers to the side of front row.

Back wall -- Auralex Q'Fusor diffusor panels on the top 2 rows of the panels . 2" OC703 in the bottom row of the panels with 2" air-gap.

Audio:

Currently running 9.2 setup

Definitive Technology:

2x BP7001SC mains,

CLR3000 center,

4x BPX surrounds,

2x Di6.5S height channels.

2x SVS PB12-Plus DSP

Denon 4520 (only powering the height channels)

Emotiva XPA-2 (for the mains)

Emotiva XPA-5 (for the center & surrounds)

Video:

JVC RS4810

Darbee Vision

Seymour Screen Excellent 2.35:1 138" diagonal screen

Equipment Lists:

OPPO 93 player

DirecTV box

Sonos Connect

Wii

Xbox360

Popcorn Hour A300 streamer

10TB WHS v1 (soon will be replaced with a DS1812+ NAS box)

Middle Atlantic Slim5 5-37U rack with custom RSH faceplates
Ikea bookcase (for disc storage)

Insteon (lighting control)

Harmony 900 remote

Seats:
8 Palliser HiFi in Phoenix fabric, Chocalate color.

Configuration as

lOlOOlOl 1st row (12.5' from the screen)

lOlOlOlO| 2nd row (15" from the back wall)

Outside the HT entry:
2 LED movie poster frame with motion sensor control via Insteon

~~ Originally post ~~

Ok, I've been away from the forum a bit the past couple of years.... Mainly because I'm enjoying my little HT ! Yeah, it's hard to believe it's been almost 3 1/2 years since my build! And needless to say, we've been enjoying it every single movie, and it even earn me a spot in the Electronic House's DIY showcase too.

Now, fast forward to present, my back then GF is now my official boss aka wife! And our family is growing too (expecting our first baby this Dec.)! So, we are buying a bigger house to accommodate our growing family. And that means, YES, I get to build a new HT soon!!

It's a new build, current projected finish date is in next Feb/Mar time frame (sooooo, this thread won't be update as often in the near future). The builder give me 8 weeks time to fully finalize everything/options. I still have about 5 weeks left to tell them what I want to do for my HT.

From what I've learn from my first HT, here's the improvement that I want:

- seat at least 8 people

- an equipment rack

- acoustic treatment (for both audio & noise)

Now, here's the floor plan of the basement:

and here's what I have come up with for my new HT:

What do you think?

The room size will be 20'x15'x9'. I'm think to have a 7-8' deep riser for the 2nd row, so the 1st row will sit about 12'-13' away. I want more space in between the screen & the 1st row so the family have more room when playing games for like Wii/Kinect/etc. And I'm thinking to have a 110-120" screen in the near future too. And probably a 3D projector IF/WHEN they make a good one and more good Avatar-like 3D movie instead of some "in-your-face" so called 3D movies! And with the 3D & lumen output in mind, I'm thinking to put the projector probably 12-14' from the screen to have as much lumen as possible from the projector and enough distance for a 120" projected image.

I'll be re-using the majority of my current equipments, at least that's what I told my wife. But will sure upgrading them down the road when money isn't as tight as buying a house & having a baby soon....

And I'm waiting for the quote from the builder about putting up double layer of drywall and if it's ok for me to supply them GG to apply in between the layers. I don't have a sensitive family, and almost 100% of the time when I'm watching a movie in the HT, my wife will be with me too. So, I don't need/care a 100% sound proofed HT. But do want an improvement especially since I'm giving the chances to do it on a new build.

I'll also meeting their wiring contractor to discuss about the speaker wires in the HT (7.1), living room(5.1), and probably in our bedroom. Cat6 to every single room/kitchen/garage for networking (mainly streaming movies/videos to HTPCs) & future home automation (still hoping a Harmony could do what I want to do, if not, then I probably will dip into Control4).

I've already told them to add a dedicated 20amp circuit to both the HT and the garage.

I think I'll only have 3' of depth in the equipment room. I think the MA Slim5 is about 20" depth right? So, do you think 36" depth will be ok?

Anything else that I should tell the builder, or I should look out? 'Cos this is our first new build house, I really have no idea what/where should we pay attention to. And the above plan is as future proof as I could think of.....

See less See more
#428 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23667889

Solid response down to 13 hz and someone from halfway around the world calls your bass "weak".

Only on AVSforums.

Well, it looks very nice with a flat curve, but our sensitivity to bass gets worse the lower it is, so in reality a flat curve will sound like a falloff. I had a straight line down below 18Hz with my Canton Digitals and everyone visiting felt there was bass missing. So for a bass that also sounds straight, you need to tilt it up towards lower frequencies.

13Hz is very respectable, but I'd like to see that point 15dB higher than 100Hz or so.

#429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23667889

Solid response down to 13 hz and someone from halfway around the world calls your bass "weak".

Only on AVSforums.
What can I say? Tough crowd huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23668628

Well, it looks very nice with a flat curve, but our sensitivity to bass gets worse the lower it is, so in reality a flat curve will sound like a falloff. I had a straight line down below 18Hz with my Canton Digitals and everyone visiting felt there was bass missing. So for a bass that also sounds straight, you need to tilt it up towards lower frequencies.

13Hz is very respectable, but I'd like to see that point 15dB higher than 100Hz or so.
I would love to see +15db more @ 13hz too! But could you explain how one could achieve that?? I only level matched the 2 subs, then ran Audyssey XT32/SubEQ. No other processor used at the moment.

#430 ·
Well, unless going for an outboard processor, I think you'd need Audyssey Pro to be able to assing a target house-curve. Myself I have a crossover for both fronts and subs that's adjustable to achieve an LF lift. If you have XT32, then maybe you CAN buy the Pro kit and unlock it?

If it's capability you worry about, then "just add subs". As long as you can find a place to sit, you don't have too many, y'know.

#431 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23668628

I agree, 13Hz is very respectable. To supplement what Nightlord has posted, there have been many many papers written in regards to our (humans) perceived hearing thresholds in relation to the frequency range. If you would like to take the time to read this post by Nube, it touches on the topic and expands on the harmonic distortion (THD) as it relates to what we "think" we hear from our equipment (subs, speakers, etc...).

For instance, some may "perceive" that a higher distortion sub playing a 14Hz tone sounds better (louder) due to harmonics vs a very low distortion sub playing at the same level. The same concept applies to loud speakers driven to high distortion, which often leads to a speaker sounding way too loud! Take a very low distortion speaker and play it at the same level and it will not sound as loud simply because it's providing clean, distortion free playback at Xdb level.

I'll go ahead and post the threshold charts Nube references just in case you don’t want to visit the above referenced post.

I also agree with Nightlord's "subjective" stance on running the lower frequencies hotter based on the above graph. That's my style as well. However, not many people can accommodate such a curve given the lower the desired fq, the more displacement is required. At some point, everyone reaches a point of diminishing returns. FYI, here is my house curve for those who care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23669434

What can I say? Tough crowd huh?

I would love to see +15db more @ 13hz too! But could you explain how one could achieve that?? I only level matched the 2 subs, then ran Audyssey XT32/SubEQ. No other processor used at the moment.

MiniDSP is an outstanding product. Very user friendly UI, small learning curve and very high functionality. I have no personal experience with Audyssey, but it does not have near the EQ/PEQ functionality that the miniDSP provides. Coupled with the Omnimic, the miniDSP will allow you to tweak to your heart's content! Several options to choose from:

Barebones: 2x4 will run you $105 + shipping. Great if you want to keep it simple.

Midlevel: OpenDRC-DI will run you $299 + shipping. I like this because it comes with IR feature so you can program your universal remote to adjust the bass level/target curve through your miniDSP if you want.

Toplevel: 4x10HD will run you $499 + shipping. Rack mountable, IR functionality and more inputs/outputs if you feel the need for future expansion.

Given you are quite the Tech guy, you may want to look at their "out of the box" kits as I am sure you could very well could integrate it into a HTPC application if you so desired. Very flexible product.

Hope this helped and wasn't information overload.

Enjoy!

#433 ·
I can't stop sifting through this thread it's an amazing theater you have here.

I was wondering about the Linacoustic sound deadener. I admit I don't know much about sound deadening but would it have been easier to use on that didn't require you to wrap it with a white clothe ( or spandex was it?) or is the Linacoustic a particularly better product than other sound deadening material?

#434 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23885832

I can't stop sifting through this thread it's an amazing theater you have here.

I was wondering about the Linacoustic sound deadener. I admit I don't know much about sound deadening but would it have been easier to use on that didn't require you to wrap it with a white clothe ( or spandex was it?) or is the Linacoustic a particularly better product than other sound deadening material?
The only reason that we use spandex to cover up the linacoustic is because my wall fabric color is so light that will the correct amount of light, you can tell/see the slight darkness of the linacoustic behind it. Otherwise, there's really no need to cover them as long as your fabric color is somewhat darker, which almost all other color but mine.

#435 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23893742

The only reason that we use spandex to cover up the linacoustic is because my wall fabric color is so light that will the correct amount of light, you can tell/see the slight darkness of the linacoustic behind it. Otherwise, there's really no need to cover them as long as your fabric color is somewhat darker, which almost all other color but mine.

Thanks!

Also maybe a stupid question, how is the linacoustic sticking to the fabric?

#436 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_23893819

Thanks!

Also maybe a stupid question, how is the linacoustic sticking to the fabric?
Not sure if I 100% understand what do you mean, but it doesn't "stick" to the fabric. It sit inside the frame of the panel.

#446 ·
#447 ·
#448 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_24032786

What program or device are you using to display all of your movies in this picture?
My media streamer, Popcorn Hour.

#449 ·
Hey Guys - As always great stuff - I have read through the forum several times now!!!

Couple of questions for clarification. So it sounds like you used Linacoustic in the panels highlighted in the yellow lines?

Are the rest of the panels empty or did you put any poly batting in them? Also, what is the brown area at the bottom of the wall? Is this more frames or something like MDF?

Thanks for the great info!

#450 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36  /t/1347041/my-new-home-theater-2-0-staggered-wall-ht/420#post_24037531

Hey Guys - As always great stuff - I have read through the forum several times now!!!

Couple of questions for clarification. So it sounds like you used Linacoustic in the panels highlighted in the yellow lines?
Yes. I didn't put anything to the side of the front speakers mainly because my main are bipolar speakers. Otherwise, it should be all the way towards the screen. And if I would do it again, I will stuff the Linacoustic inside the lower 2 rows panels from that point towards the back of the room too.
Quote:
Are the rest of the panels empty or did you put any poly batting in them?
Yes on the side walls. The rear wall has OC703 or Auralex diffuser inside.
Quote:
Also, what is the brown area at the bottom of the wall? Is this more frames or something like MDF?
They are mainly for decoration and to hide the rope light inside. They are just a piece of wood or MDF wrapped with fabric.

#451 ·
I am going to use your design as inspiration for my theater. I showed my wife your theater and told her I want to do something similar. She absolutely loves it. That's half the battle won right there!

My question to you is... do you have any regrets about not doing more soundproofing? I have an end unit town home that's being built right now, I will put the theater in the basement on the far end. My only concern is annoying the neighbors with my duel 18" subs. I feel like you in that I don't need absolute sound isolation. Was it ever a concern at all in your last theater or even this one? Should I opt to spend a little extra to at least decouple the room? (double walls and clips on ceiling)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.