BIG's post from above:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
Some pictures of the day. Didn't get everything done that we hoped, but we always set our goals high.
The first order of the day was to measure, mark and cut the 15 holes for the 3 inch recessed lights in the light tray.
Then Damelon wired them up while I filled all the nail holes in the columns and sanded getting ready for finishing.
These shots are just with the perimeter light tray lights. check out the bass traps Damelon cut and stacked.
I talked him into popping in the step lights.
So last night I found out that my Polish helpers decided to go to Denver and wouldn't be available until next week. So much for having them move my door while BIG and I worked on other things. It ended up changing our plans for the day.
So first thing we did today? The work we expected them to do! We demolished about 15" wide by 81" high of already finished wall to make room for the new doorway. Then we had to put in new side-studs and fill in some of the additional horizontal door-framing on the demo'd side. Then we had to frame in a small section that was more like 19" or so to the previous side of the old doorway. Now we have a doorway that is centered between the two columns! After going to Lowes to pick up some supplies, we grabbed some lunch and headed back.... where I was immediately assaulted by a window salesman. While I suffered though the pitch, BIG went to go work on the doorway with his new gunpowder nail gun. We didn't really get to do our "planned" work until 2pm. We bounced a few ideas around but with some blocking and re-use of ALL of our wood, we got it done. What can I say, the man builds a good wall.
Note: Green glue on an already vertical wall is a fun thing to watch. You really needed a video to appreciate the humor in the "SPLAT" each goop made when it hit the wall. I think BIG was having WAAAY too much fun.
BIG had to finish sanding the last two columns and then start using sanding sealer to prep them all for priming. And about priming... we said "Make it this color gray" but the example was from a different brand, so they said they couldn't. But with THIS brand I could chose any color, and not just gray. So I pulled out a full crimson color close to our red we are using.... but it came out pink and they said it was supposed to be lighter. I didn't want it lighter though,I wanted it a nice dark gray. So I'm going to take it back and demand a dark gray tomorrow. I will put no pink paint on these columns!
While BIG was busy with the column work and some finishing touches on our new doorway, I filled up the soffit with insulation and cotton. That actually went pretty quick. So I went to put up the red rope light. Let me tell you, we tried so hard to take a good picture, because when the lights are off and the rope light is on, the edges of the ceiling all look like there are flames from the soffit towards the middle of the room. But since it was dark, the long exposure kept amplifying the light, so it looked nothing like what it looks like. I'm going to have to find a good photographer to capture that look so we could show it to you.
After I was done with the rope light, I went into the equipment room and got the overhead light and the media rack outlets wired up. Finally circuit #2
could be enabled on the breaker box. A much needed independent circuit outlet is now available for our use!
I then cracked open the boxes to the acoustical cotton BPape sent me. I love this stuff! It has such a great feel to it and is really compacted. The only problem is that it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to cut. I tried a utility knife, I tried a drywall saw, i tried scissors, I tried a bread knife... they all sucked. BUT... in the end I used some of each and covered the front wall in 2" 3lb dense cotton.
BIG was just finishing sealing the last column when I bored a hole from the equipment room to the soffit for a small 8" conduit to run the rear speaker cables. I caulked the edges and called it a day.
So since we were delayed, there was no work to the soffit panels, no priming of the columns, and no work on the framing of the equipment rack.... BUT, there is always tomorrow!
NOTE: I need to really start taking my own pictures! It's a strange feeling not taking pictures of my own build. I was telling BIG today that since he is taking all of the pics and doing most of the write-ups it doesn't even feel like my thread!
So I apologize that there are no photos with this write-up.