The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 167Likes

post #2971 of 2995 Old 09-08-2016, 08:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
Back when I built my speakers the woofers on sale were $300 and I calculated my all in cost per speaker was around $650 each. As for how they sound and how they compare, I will tell you I've never heard a speaker system so good that I'm motivated to switch even if you gave them to me free. The same answer you will get from every speaker builder. If you want me to compare them to something bring them over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post
Big, the $500 for a diy speaker seems like a drop in the bucket compared to some you can buy. It doesn't seem horrible, but yes it is an investment. However, even rf82 klipsch speakers I have are near that a piece. The real question is how do they compare.

I assume your $500 diy beats my klipsch, but where does it stop in comparison to the speakers one can buy. Are they on part with the 1k and up speakers? I have no idea, so I am curious, what does $500 diy get you relative to off the shelf?
I general, most people don't venture into DIY because it is work, and they are uncomfortable building something and don't really know how to figure out even if they did it correctly. I know, that is how I feel. I purchased my speakers based on some review I read somewhere, and it was a speaker I could never even listen to before purchasing. If you look at a lot of speaker shootouts, DIY speakers usually come out near the top, and these are against some speakers which aren't just 2-4x the cost, sometimes it is speakers that are 10x the cost. That isn't to say that any DIY speaker is better than a purchased speaker, but as far as "Bang for the buck" goes, they are unbeatable. There still is a small risk factor, because you have to put them together, and that includes the transformers. So it isn't simple, but it isn't difficult either. As with any product, a lot of people are very particular to certain brands, and will swear by them until the day they die, regardless if they are right or wrong. Another thing about DIY speakers, is that they don't get reviewed in magazines. So people will question them because they didn't see them reviewed professionally, and therefore they can't be trusted. Not to mention, every single one is different, since they are all built by hand. So some may be flawed based on the builder. But if you know what you are doing (Or have help from someone who does) then that risk is mitigated.

I would tell you that my speakers have been great. How many speakers have I compared them to? None. I have never compared any speakers to mine in my theater, or listened to any A to B. I did change out my subs, but they weren't DIY, they were Seatons vs Axiom, and my new subs are sooo much better. I've read enough forum threads here to see how certain brands do in blind sound tests, and almost all of the popular speakers from DIYSoundgroup have been excellent. The major difference is that in DIY, you don't need all of the overhead. The end user does all of the work. Parts cost a lot less than assembled products. Especially when all of the parts are very common. That is the case with speakers. So it may make you wonder why, if DIY speakers sound so good, and are so relatively inexpensive, why manufactured speakers aren't that good, and that cheap. Well... now you get back to overhead. They need to pay for all of that overhead. Build the product, package it nicely, brand it, advertise it, get placement in stores like best buy, pay for all of those people who do all of the jobs in those large companies... and then from there, how do they increase profits? Use cheaper parts or cut corners on cabinets. They also market towards ignorance too. A lot of people pay for what they think is good vs what is really good. Just like cables... people really do pay out the nose for cables at stores like bestbuy, and there is no reason why they should. None. You can go to monoprice or amazon and get a cable for $10 which is just as good as some $200 "High end" cable that doesn't do anything better. It is just wire.

I was told from the beginning to go DIY for my theater, but I already had speakers from before I knew better, so I just went with what I had. Knowing now what I didn't know then, I would never buy a pre-assmbled speaker today. Especially when I don't care what they look like since I can hide them all behind columns, walls, and screens. In this case, a Fusion-15 Sentinel from DIYsoundgroup.com costs $450 per speaker. That is a big speaker... and it comes with the entire cabinet flat pack pre-cut.. It just needs to be put together. I could put together 3 of those for the price of one comparable speaker, like a JTR-228HT Noesis, which is a VERY popular speaker here. Hard to argue with that.
freestylr likes this.

Last edited by damelon; 09-09-2016 at 08:05 AM.
post #2973 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm in the never compared to anything group. I bought my klipsch because I knew the brand and knew they were the non-big box store version. The price was 50% off because something in the shipment container. So, since the speakers were in perfect condition, the price was right and I am happy. DIY just sounds cool and would be for sure, but beyond the money aspect, the other big cost is time and right now I don't have that. Plus like you I am happy, so there is no need.

Maybe one day when we all retire like big...
post #2974 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post
I'm in the never compared to anything group. I bought my klipsch because I knew the brand and knew they were the non-big box store version. The price was 50% off because something in the shipment container. So, since the speakers were in perfect condition, the price was right and I am happy. DIY just sounds cool and would be for sure, but beyond the money aspect, the other big cost is time and right now I don't have that. Plus like you I am happy, so there is no need.

Maybe one day when we all retire like big...
Hehe. Well I wouldn't put these together on my own for the first time without BIG's help personally. It isn't that I don't have the skills to do it, I just am never comfortable doing something like that for the first time without seeing it first. SO it will help to do it together, and not just that, he has a lot of tools I don't, like the big clamps. I am close to pulling the trigger on it, I am just sort of trying to budget for it. After our pool project this year, cash flow isn't what it used to be
post #2975 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Yeah, I keep looking to what will someday be my "next theater" (as if this being my 4th wasn't enough). I love my speakers, but I know that if I had to start all over again, I would go 100% DIY speakers. I can buy DIY kit speakers with so much more capabilities, four 18" subs, and even amps for the subs for a couple hundred less than my current speakers and two 12" subs would cost to buy today. And that is using quality components and not just the cheapest thing to get by.

To me it would be a fun project. Taking over the garage and building speakers for a few weeks.

Unfortunately the only way that I could ever justify that is if we sold our house, which I don't want to do, the buyers gave me a decent value for the theater gear, and the new house had room for the larger DIY speaker setup.

So kind of a bitter/sweet idea. I would love to do it, but I don't like the requirement of having to move to make it happen.
post #2976 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Yeah, I keep looking to what will someday be my "next theater" (as if this being my 4th wasn't enough). I love my speakers, but I know that if I had to start all over again, I would go 100% DIY speakers. I can buy DIY kit speakers with so much more capabilities, four 18" subs, and even amps for the subs for a couple hundred less than my current speakers and two 12" subs would cost to buy today. And that is using quality components and not just the cheapest thing to get by.

To me it would be a fun project. Taking over the garage and building speakers for a few weeks.

Unfortunately the only way that I could ever justify that is if we sold our house, which I don't want to do, the buyers gave me a decent value for the theater gear, and the new house had room for the larger DIY speaker setup.

So kind of a bitter/sweet idea. I would love to do it, but I don't like the requirement of having to move to make it happen.
Wait, what? You have done 4 theaters????? I guess technically I have done 3 now, but my wife's last house doesn't really count. Considering my jump from theater 1 to 2, the thought of doing it again... financially at least... scares me. The build quality I have seen in theaters recently here is so high these days, coupled with the standard I have now, would lead me to territory I wouldn't be comfortable with financally!!! But, unless my wife kicks me out of the house, I won't ever have to worry about doing it again. We aren't moving.

Even the thought of adding more subs is pretty much out of the question for me. Not that I think I need it. I love my bass levels now. Atmos (or whatever the future format ends up being) plus 4K will be upgrades I will do in the future... just not until they are more standardized and content catches up. Otherwise it is a big waste of money to me. At least speaker upgrades I'd use, and notice, every day.
post #2977 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Haha, hey honey, want to move?

Why?

I want to build some speakers...
post #2978 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Wait, what? You have done 4 theaters?????
Yeah, while some of the early ones were WAY more than most people had, they were still so flawed and, well, lame by current standards. Heck, even my current theater isn't anywhere near what you have. It just has a lot more "right" than previous ones, and still is far from ideal...
damelon likes this.
post #2979 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, while some of the early ones were WAY more than most people had, they were still so flawed and, well, lame by current standards. Heck, even my current theater isn't anywhere near what you have. It just has a lot more "right" than previous ones, and still is far from ideal...
I hear you. My wife wanted a theater in her house, but really it was just a dark room with in wall speakers, sconces, and a projector. For the most part, what a builder would do for you. So that's why I say it doesn't really count. I don't think I would EVER bring up moving for the sake of building a theater... my wife would just look at me like I'm crazy. She would rather me rip out the current one, but even then, she would say why? Because frankly... no reason to. The only complaint we ever have is the heat, and I say that over and over again. I still am thinking about putting in a mini-split system in there.
nickbuol likes this.
post #2980 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hear you. My wife wanted a theater in her house, but really it was just a dark room with in wall speakers, sconces, and a projector. For the most part, what a builder would do for you. So that's why I say it doesn't really count. I don't think I would EVER bring up moving for the sake of building a theater... my wife would just look at me like I'm crazy. She would rather me rip out the current one, but even then, she would say why? Because frankly... no reason to. The only complaint we ever have is the heat, and I say that over and over again. I still am thinking about putting in a mini-split system in there.
Yeah, moving for a v5 theater build isn't worth it for me either.

As for heat, we do fine in Summer as the A/C is running, but come winter it was a problem. Last fall I installed a large Panasonic inline fan, but instead of blowing air out of the house, it pulls cold air from outside and in to the room. It works pretty well. The worst time of year is right now when it gets cool overnight, and the A/C isn't running enough, and the outside temps aren't cold enough to blow into the room either.

My next step for this winter (which I've already got a good start on) is putting in a HVAC return in to the rear of the theater above the equipment rack. This will really help to keep things cool when the door is shut and the A/C is running. I currently have a $40 250mm computer fan mounted in the ceiling that runs all of the time. This just free-flows its way in the ceiling cavity over to the HVAC room. It made a noticeable improvement, thus the proof I needed to know that getting the return installed will really help make it perfect for us. The biggest hold up for this is two-fold. 1) I needed to put in a new "fresh air supply" for the furnace. This meant putting another 6" hole in our house, and running a new duct line (through a bunch of finished basement ceiling area, and then locating near the furnace. I did this about 2 months ago. The reason for needing to do #1 is 2) the original fresh air supply runs directly over the equipment rack, and thus just needs to be redirected down to where the current computer fan it and connected up to the air return in the HVAC room. Boom. Easy retro HVAC return...

I haven't gotten that far yet due to family vacation, then some medical scare that kept me physically, mentally, and emotionally in the dumps. Enough so that I just didn't want to tear apart the equipment rack and make the theater unusable for a day or so to get it torn down, return installed, and put back together. I really want to get this done before winter so that I can properly block off the current fresh air supply where it goes outside the house. That will stay in place, but just blocked off, in case I need to use it as part of my winter air exhaust that I will dig into below.

For winter, there is still a limit of pressure in the house where blowing outside air into the theater room just gets pulled out by the HVAC air return, but at some point builds up enough positive air pressure inside our house that it has nowhere to go. The return will go in this fall still, and if that doesn't help enough for winter, then I will make an "exhaust" that can suck air out of the back (like the air return) but it would be a powered exhaust to outside that turns on when the Panasonic inline fan in the front. So cold air into just the theater, and warm air exhausted out the rear to outside in Winter, and then in summer have a traditional A/C and air return setup.

So why so complicated? Well, if this all works, it will be a total cost investment of less than $500, be completely hidden, and I can do it all myself vs quotes for several times that amount, and having a large ugly "box" on the wall. The minisplit is more effective for sure, but no way that I was getting the cost or look past my wife (and I didn't want the look either) and had no good way to camouflage it.
post #2981 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, moving for a v5 theater build isn't worth it for me either.

As for heat, we do fine in Summer as the A/C is running, but come winter it was a problem. Last fall I installed a large Panasonic inline fan, but instead of blowing air out of the house, it pulls cold air from outside and in to the room. It works pretty well. The worst time of year is right now when it gets cool overnight, and the A/C isn't running enough, and the outside temps aren't cold enough to blow into the room either.

My next step for this winter (which I've already got a good start on) is putting in a HVAC return in to the rear of the theater above the equipment rack. This will really help to keep things cool when the door is shut and the A/C is running. I currently have a $40 250mm computer fan mounted in the ceiling that runs all of the time. This just free-flows its way in the ceiling cavity over to the HVAC room. It made a noticeable improvement, thus the proof I needed to know that getting the return installed will really help make it perfect for us. The biggest hold up for this is two-fold. 1) I needed to put in a new "fresh air supply" for the furnace. This meant putting another 6" hole in our house, and running a new duct line (through a bunch of finished basement ceiling area, and then locating near the furnace. I did this about 2 months ago. The reason for needing to do #1 is 2) the original fresh air supply runs directly over the equipment rack, and thus just needs to be redirected down to where the current computer fan it and connected up to the air return in the HVAC room. Boom. Easy retro HVAC return...

I haven't gotten that far yet due to family vacation, then some medical scare that kept me physically, mentally, and emotionally in the dumps. Enough so that I just didn't want to tear apart the equipment rack and make the theater unusable for a day or so to get it torn down, return installed, and put back together. I really want to get this done before winter so that I can properly block off the current fresh air supply where it goes outside the house. That will stay in place, but just blocked off, in case I need to use it as part of my winter air exhaust that I will dig into below.

For winter, there is still a limit of pressure in the house where blowing outside air into the theater room just gets pulled out by the HVAC air return, but at some point builds up enough positive air pressure inside our house that it has nowhere to go. The return will go in this fall still, and if that doesn't help enough for winter, then I will make an "exhaust" that can suck air out of the back (like the air return) but it would be a powered exhaust to outside that turns on when the Panasonic inline fan in the front. So cold air into just the theater, and warm air exhausted out the rear to outside in Winter, and then in summer have a traditional A/C and air return setup.

So why so complicated? Well, if this all works, it will be a total cost investment of less than $500, be completely hidden, and I can do it all myself vs quotes for several times that amount, and having a large ugly "box" on the wall. The minisplit is more effective for sure, but no way that I was getting the cost or look past my wife (and I didn't want the look either) and had no good way to camouflage it.
It tends to always be warm in my theater. It can stay comfortable for 2 hours with 4+ people in there. Usually we have 4-5 people and 2 big dogs and the heat just builds up quickly. We do have an AC vent with a return in there, but there just isn't enough air movement to dissipate the heat. We added floor-standing vornado fans, which help get the internal air moving, but they do make some noise and don't really cool the room much. I could add a dead vent, which would be relatively inexpensive parts wise, but now, with the rest of the basement finished the way it is, very difficult. A mini-split would be easy for us to install, and could be put on the back wall. I even have one saved which is black and goes with my theater color-scheme. It wouldn't really even be ugly. Just trying to find one that is both black AND quiet is the challenge.

Something like this : https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-Air...nCat=&subCat=#
12000 BTU, wall mounted, black.

Or they also sell the "ART" Versions, which you can populate with whatever picture you want... or just a blackout
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by damelon; 09-09-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #2982 of 2995 Old 09-09-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Ooooo... The art one is cool. Yeah, a minisplit is the best way, from a HVAC perspective, to get the job done...
post #2983 of 2995 Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Cost Breakdown:

Keep in mind that some of these things are slightly rounded (Like the projector and my polish labor costs) since I either have not paid for them yet, or their work was on a per-week basis and they were doing work outside of the movie room in addition to the work on the room itself. So I could be off by about $1,000 total in this whole thing.

Category Description Location Cost Chairs 7 Berkline Reno Seats. Power, Black Full Leather Interiormark/TheaterSeatStore 3,983.36 http://www.theaterseatstore.com/berk...9&category=148 Equipment Onkyo PR-SC5508 Pre-Amp Ebay 1,600.00 Equipment Sony VPL-VW95ES AVScience 5,700.00 Equipment Oppo BDP-93 Blu Ray Player AVScience 500.00 http://shop.avscience.com/Oppo-BDP-9...yer_p_332.html Equipment Axiom Audio M80 v3 Tower Speaker Axiom Audio 690.00 www.axiomaudio.com Equipment Monster 3D Glasses (x4) and Emitter Amazon 21.60 Equipment Middle Atlantic Rack Plexi Door Ebay 80.00 Equipment 50' XLR Cable (Subwoofer) x2 B&H Photo and Video 51.00 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...R_Male_to.html Equipment Middle Atlantic Rack - ERG2428 B&H Photo and Video 377.50 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Less_Rear.html Equipment Middle Atlantic Rack - Rear Door B&H Photo and Video 114.50 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rear_Door.html Equipment Trigger Cables for Subs & Amplifier Cables to Go 68.19 http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2002&sku=40623&st=40623 http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2002&sku=40619&st=40619 Equipment SMX 130" wide 2.35:1 Screen SMX Theater Solutions 1,500.00 www.smxscreen.com Equipment Speaker Wire & Banana Plugs Monoprice 114.53 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_i d=3844&seq=1&format=2 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_i d=2801&seq=1&format=2 Equipment HDMI Cables - 24AWG Tartan Blue Jeans Cable 63.45 http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hdmi-cable.htm Equipment Total 10,880.77 Labor General Contractors (Framing/Drywall) Alec/Peter 3,000.00 Labor Specialty Contractor BIGMouthInDC 7,505.00 Labor Total 10,505.50 Materials 74 sheets of 5/8" Drywall Captiol Building Supply 666.00 http://cbsigms.com/default.htm Materials 2 Bags Unfaced R-13 Capitol Building Supply 91.48 http://cbsigms.com/default.htm Materials 4 Bags Faced R-13 Capitol Building Supply 195.93 http://cbsigms.com/default.htm Materials 3 Bags Faced R-19 Capitol Building Supply 168.00 http://cbsigms.com/default.htm Materials Assorted Lowes 1,068.58 www.lowes.com Materials Riser Step Lights CSN Stores 23.61 http://www.wayfair.com/show_detail.p...YP2559&refid=& Materials Assorted Lowes 157.19 www.lowes.com Materials Assorted Home Depot 23.07 www.homedepot.com Materials Assorted Home Depot 5.03 www.homedepot.com Materials Assorted Home Depot 96.45 www.homedepot.com Materials GOM Fabric (20 Yards Red, 30 Yards Black) Fabricmate 822.50 http://www.fabricmatestore.com/p-9-f...el-fabric.aspx Materials Midlite Power Inlet Amazon 38.60 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KF3WA8 Materials Assorted Lowes 18.14 www.lowes.com Materials Red Rope Light 1000 Bulbs 145.13 http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2057/SIV-IU65R.html Materials Assorted Home Depot 113.40 www.homedepot.com Materials Assorted Home Depot 36.24 www.homedepot.com Materials Assorted Lowes 17.46 www.lowes.com Materials Assorted Lowes 40.83 www.lowes.com Materials Assorted Home Depot 38.26 www.homedepot.com Materials Shelving (Unrelated) Lowes -300.00 Shelving Materials Assorted Lowes 44.80 Materials Assorted Lowes 252.32 Materials Assorted Lowes 194.21 Materials Carpet Lowes 1,661.66 Materials Doors & Casings Accent Millwork 388.00 Materials Screenwall Fingerjoined Pine Home Depot 108.43 Materials Plywood for Panels Home Depot 205.42 Materials Wood Door Thresholds 21.74 Materials Rubber Door Seals Harbor City Hardware 42.50 Materials Black Pipe for Columns & PVC Moulding Home Depot 138.10 Materials MDF for Columns Home Depot 82.60 Materials More PVC Moulding Home Depot 16.48 Materials Wall panel bump out, silicon Glue, Screws Home Depot 38.93 Materials Plywood for Soffit and Fabric Frames Home Depot 103.07 Materials Sanding and Painting Supplies Home Depot 37.02 Materials MDF, glue, shims, sandpaper, sealer, for soffit and light tray Home Depot 245.60 Materials Metal HVAC Box (Equip Room) Jeff Parkinson 11.51 Materials HVAC Foil Tape Jeff Parkinson 6.58 Materials Emtek Doorknob Doorknob Discount Center 86.97 http://www.doorknobdiscountcenter.co..._Code=EM5107BA Materials Assorted Lowes 12.00 Materials Assorted Lowes 20.03 Materials Assorted Lowes 48.23 Materials Assorted Lowes 54.54 Materials Assorted Home Depot 45.63 Materials Assorted Lowes 88.00 Materials 4 Leviton RF Dimmers Smarthome 266.52 http://www.smarthome.com/45071Z.html Materials 4 Black Face Kit for Leviton Dimmers Smarthome 7.48 http://www.smarthome.com/86558BK.html Materials Recessed Lighting Lowes 278.92 Materials Door Hinges Hardware Source 117.71 http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...inge%2C++Steel Materials Insul Knife & Sharpener ASI Storefront 44.50 Materials Total 8,135.40 Returns Assorted Lowes -73.37 www.lowes.com Returns Assorted Lowes -18.14 Returns Leftover whisper clips & Caulk Ted White/Soundproofingcompany.com -215.42 Returns Sold Integra DTC-9.8 Ebay -570.00 -876.93 SoundProofing Acoustical Treatment Plan Bryan Pape 595.00 SoundProofing Cotton and OC703 Bryan Pape 1,838.58 SoundProofing Whisper Clips, Greem Glue, & Accoustical Caulk Ted White/Soundproofingcompany.com 1,614.10 4,047.68 Grand Total 36,425.28
Thank you for posting this... This is exactly what I was looking for as a starting point.
damelon likes this.
post #2984 of 2995 Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapur01 View Post
Thank you for posting this... This is exactly what I was looking for as a starting point.
No problem. Sorry that several of those links have expired. General materials cost the same as always. You can get a great projector for a much better price now as well. Keep in mind too, I had a lot of my equipment to begin with (Like a 7.2 system, amp, etc) So I didn't include those costs, but since then there have been costs added, like new subs, etc. A big cost savings for me too was being able to use the services of BIGmouthInDC. Not only was the labor very reasonable price-wise, it was also educational. We were able to get a lot of work done very quickly, which also helped our schedule. The whole project beginning to end only took a few months really, and that is pretty incredible.
post #2985 of 2995 Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

On cooling from memory you have a stand alone HVAC unit serving the sun-room and the theater. If the theater is too hot adjusting the assignment of air between the sunroom and the theater with variable dampers is all that would be needed. Or are other rooms supported by that unit.
post #2986 of 2995 Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
A big cost savings for me too was being able to use the services of BIGmouthInDC. Not only was the labor very reasonable price-wise, it was also educational. We were able to get a lot of work done very quickly, which also helped our schedule. The whole project beginning to end only took a few months really, and that is pretty incredible.
I was young and foolish, my rates have doubled since then.
post #2987 of 2995 Old 09-20-2016, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
On cooling from memory you have a stand alone HVAC unit serving the sun-room and the theater. If the theater is too hot adjusting the assignment of air between the sunroom and the theater with variable dampers is all that would be needed. Or are other rooms supported by that unit.
I haven't forgotten. =) I think it is just the single vent on the side of the room that does it.... just doesn't cool enough. I have messed with all of the return dampers, and even closed some of the sunroom vents, it just doesn't seem to help much. I think I'd have to have a damper to close the entire trunk to the sunroom to force enough air to make a difference, but that might become loud.
post #2988 of 2995 Old 09-20-2016, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
No problem. Sorry that several of those links have expired. General materials cost the same as always. You can get a great projector for a much better price now as well. Keep in mind too, I had a lot of my equipment to begin with (Like a 7.2 system, amp, etc) So I didn't include those costs, but since then there have been costs added, like new subs, etc. A big cost savings for me too was being able to use the services of BIGmouthInDC. Not only was the labor very reasonable price-wise, it was also educational. We were able to get a lot of work done very quickly, which also helped our schedule. The whole project beginning to end only took a few months really, and that is pretty incredible.
Thanks! I have been on the forum a week and have learned already a good bit from reading BIG's threads. The star ceiling you have is awesome. I will likely try to do bulk of the work myself leveraging education from this forum. Looking forward to the journey ahead.
post #2989 of 2995 Old 09-20-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I was young and foolish, my rates have doubled since then.
You might have been foolish, but pretty sure you weren't young
damelon likes this.
post #2990 of 2995 Old 09-21-2016, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudDad View Post
You might have been foolish, but pretty sure you weren't young
Well he was Young-ER

So I have been talking to BIG (as well as the DIYSoundgroup designers) about DIY speakers and we have decided to go with custom-sized Volt8's in the columns vs the Volt 6s. This would alter their height and depth to allow them to fit. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me to do this project this month. So maybe next month.

As for the mini-split, Winter is coming! So I won't need it until next year anyway. My wife doesn't agree we need it. She says just to buy fans. The Vornado vertical tower fans we are using do work well, but because of their wonky design, they vibrate and make non-airflow noises that bother me.

Last edited by damelon; 09-21-2016 at 08:37 AM.
post #2991 of 2995 Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey damelon,
I am in the process of doing my theater right now. I am wondering where you go your carpet?
Thanks
Jon
post #2992 of 2995 Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthany View Post
Hey damelon,
I am in the process of doing my theater right now. I am wondering where you go your carpet?
Thanks
Jon
It is Stainmaster Silver Lake, and I got it at lowes.
A lot of that information is on the first post of this thread, in case you have other questions.
post #2993 of 2995 Old 10-14-2016, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just noticed that BIGMouthInDC's photobucket links quit working today. Fortunately I have a backup, and will restore his photos to the thread here if he can't resolve the problem.
post #2994 of 2995 Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'll have to take a look. Hmmmmm right now I can't even connect to the site, something is down.

well over 4 hours later still no photos, seems I'm not the only one with issues:

http://blog.photobucket.com/status/c...ge-7/#comments

Update as of 2:30 it seams to be back up.
tbraden32 likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-14-2016 at 12:39 PM.
post #2995 of 2995 Old Today, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For all of you builders out there... I got this set last black friday, though I think with bigger batteries. Amazing cordless drills! 19h left

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XT273R...EXA2R2VQHT4ZMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page