The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes

post #3001 of 3019 Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 152
@hd0823 , do you have a build thread? I'd like to take a look.

Damelon, I forgot about the side firing Seatons that you upgraded to. I would think that in order to build a baffle wall, you would need to get in touch with Acoustic Frontiers. It may or may not be worth it and it may not be able to be done at all. But if you do get the baffle wall done, the reveal lights behind the screen would be a nice touch for this room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3019 Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Damelon, I forgot about the side firing Seatons that you upgraded to. I would think that in order to build a baffle wall, you would need to get in touch with Acoustic Frontiers. It may or may not be worth it and it may not be able to be done at all. But if you do get the baffle wall done, the reveal lights behind the screen would be a nice touch for this room.
I agree on all counts. I didn't remember until today that the Subs were side firing. I sent an email to Seaton Sound to see what their recommendations for spacing would be next to the speakers. Selling them / Swapping them is probably not an option, since it would cost me quite a bit just to change them to the forward facing models... plus I really like how these sound! I really was looking forward to swapping out the speakers, so I hope that one of the two DIYSG speaker sets are viable. Though, something like the F18s or the F2s could fit in the corners! My side panels are about 24" wide on the sides of my screen.

I mean... come on!!! who wouldn't want this!! But I'm sure people would just say to get DIY subs if I'm doing that. At least that would be cheaper. But I do love my Seatons!

Last edited by damelon; 02-11-2017 at 07:28 AM.
post #3003 of 3019 Old 02-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Yup my build thread name is the coldwater Creek cinema

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by hd0823; 02-11-2017 at 07:43 PM.

post #3004 of 3019 Old 02-17-2017, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
I sent an email to Seaton Sound to see what their recommendations for spacing would be next to the speakers.
So I received a response from Mark Seaton, and he said I only need 3" of space on each side of the Submersives.
JVoth likes this.
post #3005 of 3019 Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 436
So it looks like the Titans will fit

post #3006 of 3019 Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
So it looks like the Titans will fit

Yeah, going to talk about it a bit with BIG. It isn't just if they will fit in the existing space, but also placement for all speakers. Plus, though I like the potential of the Titans, I'd like to get a review or two about them first. Maybe even a GTG review. Now, pretty much all of DIYSG's speakers are great products, and I was already set to buy the Fusions based on other reviews, so I'm not really that worried about it, but I'm also not in a rush either. It will probably be an April upgrade I'm guessing.
post #3007 of 3019 Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been following @eng-399 's Titan build thread, and so far it seems like the reviews on these speakers (for the few that have heard them) are very good. He says the bass and sound was incredible, even with a 100W/ch amp, and he wasn't even using subs for his tests. Plus his first measurements seemed to look even better than the ones on the DIYSG site. Also good news! Moar Bass! I am still in the 99% Home Theater use niche for my speakers, so these should be right up my alley. I don't do a lot of 2ch listening, even though I keep telling myself I will.

His build thread for these speakers is top notch. He shows his entire build process, along with several ideas for things along the way. I will probably also enlist @mtg90 's services to build the crossovers for me as he did.

DIYSG Titan-615 Build

Of course I still want to do this with BIG, especially because we are going to do custom-cabinet Volt 8s anyway, and he is likely to have all of the clamps that I don't. I'm looking forward to working on a project with him again, even if it is only for a couple of days.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.
post #3008 of 3019 Old 03-08-2017, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another question : I've been running XBMC Gotham for a while now. I see they changed to "Kodi", and are up to Krypton, and I am wondering if I should bother upgrading or not. I use MPC-HC as my external player, and have added plugins to XBMC get things like trailers, and download movie information inside of the tool. I also use the Aeon Nox skin. If anyone has any insight into this, let me know. I'm going to try to read up on it on my own but I wanted to get someone else's input.
post #3009 of 3019 Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Another question : I've been running XBMC Gotham for a while now. I see they changed to "Kodi", and are up to Krypton, and I am wondering if I should bother upgrading or not. I use MPC-HC as my external player, and have added plugins to XBMC get things like trailers, and download movie information inside of the tool. I also use the Aeon Nox skin. If anyone has any insight into this, let me know. I'm going to try to read up on it on my own but I wanted to get someone else's input.
Yeah, there are a quite a few updates between Gotham and Krypton but, honestly, if you have a working setup and it's doing all that you want it to do, it's almost surely not worth upgrading. I see most of the changes as ones that are cool for "somebody else".

That said, I am running the latest Kodi and even an alpha version at that. That's mostly because I was wanting to try out the new Estuary theme and at the time it was only available on the alpha releases. It turns out that I wasn't wowed by the theme but I stuck with the alpha just because.
post #3010 of 3019 Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Yeah, there are a quite a few updates between Gotham and Krypton but, honestly, if you have a working setup and it's doing all that you want it to do, it's almost surely not worth upgrading. I see most of the changes as ones that are cool for "somebody else".

That said, I am running the latest Kodi and even an alpha version at that. That's mostly because I was wanting to try out the new Estuary theme and at the time it was only available on the alpha releases. It turns out that I wasn't wowed by the theme but I stuck with the alpha just because.
Thanks for the response. Good to know. I was reading up on it a little and it looks like the two can actually co-exist since of the program name change. But I pretty much agree with your statement of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It does crash on me occasionally but not often. Still works just fine, so I guess no real reason to change for the sake of change.
post #3011 of 3019 Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Due to the photobucket "blackout" which is slowly happening to many users, I am slowly trying to transition the images in this thread to google drive. However, I will be unable to update any images which are quoted by other users. Due to the age of this thread, there are a lot of images to update, but I will try to do the best that I can to migrate what I can.

Updates : The images near the beginning and end are fixed. Going to slowly work through the build. The major problems here is that BIG posted half of my images and I can't update those. I have them stored in my google drive as well. I know BIG is waiting to see if Photobucket becomes a bit more reasonable than their crazy random price, but in the worst case scenario, I will re-add all of his photos at the end of this thread with relevant pages. I still also have the PDF of the thread scrape from a couple of years back which has all of the images embedded, so that should help sort what goes where.
mcallister and Nick Woolley like this.

Last edited by damelon; 07-10-2017 at 06:46 AM.
post #3012 of 3019 Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Man, it's a shame all the progress links from BIG are broken. This is a fantastic resource thread for planning builds and looking at how things are done in great detail.
post #3013 of 3019 Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Due to the photobucket "blackout" which is slowly happening to many users, I am slowly trying to transition the images in this thread to google drive. However, I will be unable to update any images which are quoted by other users. Due to the age of this thread, there are a lot of images to update, but I will try to do the best that I can to migrate what I can.

Updates : The images near the beginning and end are fixed. Going to slowly work through the build. The major problems here is that BIG posted half of my images and I can't update those. I have them stored in my google drive as well. I know BIG is waiting to see if Photobucket becomes a bit more reasonable than their crazy random price, but in the worst case scenario, I will re-add all of his photos at the end of this thread with relevant pages. I still also have the PDF of the thread scrape from a couple of years back which has all of the images embedded, so that should help sort what goes where.
I hope you're able to get the photos loaded, I've had your thread saved since you first started in the hopes I one day might be able to replicate it with my own little twists. I show it to my wife regularly "One day". Finally we've purchased a block of land and i told the architect "6mx6m, no windows, leave it an empty shell. That's for me". I come back to the thread and all the great resources are gonesky
post #3014 of 3019 Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woolley View Post
I hope you're able to get the photos loaded, I've had your thread saved since you first started in the hopes I one day might be able to replicate it with my own little twists. I show it to my wife regularly "One day". Finally we've purchased a block of land and i told the architect "6mx6m, no windows, leave it an empty shell. That's for me". I come back to the thread and all the great resources are gonesky
Well I've done quite a bit of work already. I do have all of his photos. And I have been posting them back in, I just can't post them in over his actual posts. It will either be in the first post I make before or after his posts with his missing images. ( I also include his textual descriptions from his posts as well ) I did quite a bit of work early on for this. Not sure what post # I was up to. I will get to them all though.
mcallister and kopkiwi like this.
post #3015 of 3019 Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
I've slowly been deleting posts.
post #3016 of 3019 Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woolley View Post
I am up to post 390 as far as updating photos from the beginning. I also have updated a lot of the pool photos near the end, but I am just going to go from the beginning and move on. I will update this post and modify the post number as we go along with a date. That way BIGMouthInDC also knows what posts are OK to delete.

BIG : I am re-quoting your entire posts which contain images you link from photobucket and posting them above or below the original post you made, depending on when my closest post to yours is. If I make a post directly after you, this will be my preferred place to put them.

Progress : Post 390
As of Date : 10/16/17 4:45pm EST

Last edited by damelon; 10-16-2017 at 01:46 PM.
post #3017 of 3019 Old 08-18-2017, 09:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

this is the most interesting article I've seen on the background of the Photobucket Apocalypse

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16...cket-fee-hike/
post #3018 of 3019 Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

update on deleting posts, I've done the first three pages of the thread out of 76. what I've discovered is that when I delete a post, the computer takes me back to page one, post #1. My personality won't allow me to tolerate that for 73 more pages, so it may never happen. If anyone knows a workaround let me know.
post #3019 of 3019 Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
this is the most interesting article I've seen on the background of the Photobucket Apocalypse

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16...cket-fee-hike/
I read the whole article, and no where did it mention that Martin Shkreli was involved. I'm positive he was the cause of this, even if someone else takes credit for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
update on deleting posts, I've done the first three pages of the thread out of 76. what I've discovered is that when I delete a post, the computer takes me back to page one, post #1. My personality won't allow me to tolerate that for 73 more pages, so it may never happen. If anyone knows a workaround let me know.
Ugh, that is painful. My biggest issue is that when editing old posts, if the post contains a quote, (one from before the message board upgrade) it messes up the quote permanently. So, I have to re-quote the original user and paste it back in. I guess those were posts/quotes from the forum pre-upgrade.

As for a workaround, you can always open two copies of the thread. I did this for reference. When you finish with a delete, copy your URL from the 2nd browser tab back to the other tab. That way you can keep your place.

Last edited by damelon; 10-16-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page