The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
I wouldn't assume anything. you are zoomed out for scope.

back to Sony and your size screens 130 (2.39:1) and 96 (16:9)

to hit 130 your lens can be between 180 and 288 inches from the screen
to hit 96 your lens can be between 133 and 210 from the screen

So the overlap of those two is 180 to 210

for safety margin the lens should be between 185 to 205 inches from the screen

15.4 to 17 ft from the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Ok thanks. Looks like my projector choices just got more interesting then!
post #543 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

just ignore the zoom. it is useful in comparing projectors as to mounting flexibility.

Just divide the distance to the lens in inches by the screen widths you need (130 and 96) if those two numbers are inside the stated throw ratio range it will work. Avoid being right at the very limit of either end, The accuracy of the lens generally diminishes as you zoom to the largest possible image. Another reason is to allow for a margin of error.

By the way I'm on to cutting the bevels next, all the frames are made.

So big you have to also look at the scope width? I thought you just looked at the 16:9?

I am not saying you are wrong I just never knew that?

thanks,
jim
post #544 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you are using the zoom method for CIH you need to be sure you can make it both big enough and small enough. If you are using an add-on lens then getting the 16:9 image perfect is the primary task, the lens will do the stretching to get the extra width. Also different lenses have a certain throw range requirement to minimize the pin cushion effect, usually longer is better.
post #545 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

So big you have to also look at the scope width? I thought you just looked at the 16:9?

I am not saying you are wrong I just never knew that?

thanks,
jim

In a CIH setup, the "Scope Width" is a zoomed 16:9 image. So you treat the "Scope Width" as it was a 16:9 image as the same width. He's using the term "Scope Width" so I would understand that the scope width is the larger image that I need to project, thus the one we need to calculate min throw for.

The 16:9 image is the smaller image, with the same height as the 2.39:1 scope image. But the width of the 2.39:1 image is much greater. You are basically just projecting the black bars in a 16:9 image off of the screen, so it really still is a 16:9 image.
post #546 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

OK, took all the assembled frames and put on the beveled edge with a table saw.

This picture will make a lot of table saw safety gurus cringe, It made my saw cringe.

One order of frames to go, hold the bevel on two.

post #547 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great work, yet again! How are you marking them to know what goes where?
post #548 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #549 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Even if I go with Black/Gray, I am not going to go with that one. There was a larger sample at the store and the pattern will be too much for me. There is another one I saw locally I might go with.

That's pretty close to what my wife insists we use. I'm told its called a harlequin pattern or some such. I've seen it before where the grey is much darker and it looks fantastic. The contrast on this one is a bit much, I agree.
post #550 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Oh one other thing to note re: carpet - similar to fabrics with a "nap" - light reflects off it differently depending on which way the pile is laying - so footprints will add a random pattern of sorts of top of the carpet's pattern. Vacuum one way, looks darker, the other way, looks lighter. Kind of anal to point out I suppose, but that's what we do right?

For example, note the vacuum "tracks" in this picture:

I remember my son mentioning "dad, you should vacuum", thinking the carpet was dirty, but I had just vacuumed, he was noticing the way the pile wasn't all raked one direction. You can vacuum or rake (carpet rake) one direction if it bothers you, but then of course, as soon as someone walks on it, it goes every which way. But in the front of the room, on the stage, you can keep it looking nice by raking it one way.
post #551 of 2473 Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In a CIH setup, the "Scope Width" is a zoomed 16:9 image. So you treat the "Scope Width" as it was a 16:9 image as the same width. He's using the term "Scope Width" so I would understand that the scope width is the larger image that I need to project, thus the one we need to calculate min throw for.

The 16:9 image is the smaller image, with the same height as the 2.39:1 scope image. But the width of the 2.39:1 image is much greater. You are basically just projecting the black bars in a 16:9 image off of the screen, so it really still is a 16:9 image.

Thanks D and Big. I never knew that regarding the zoom method.

Appreciate it,
Jim
post #552 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, a previously mentioned, chairs arrived on Tuesday. I haven't put them together yet (in the right configuration) or connected the backs yet.

So, since I get views here, and people might use my advice on their future purchasing decision, I'd like to mention the "Lessons learned" to always go with the known go-to-guy in the forums, even if it costs you $150 more. Everyone mentioned Roman as the guy to buy chairs from, especially when he runs his special group-buy or closeout events. I didn't. There was a 3% credit card fee with him so I went with theaterseatstore.com as I needed my cash to pay BIG and didn't want to pay the extra amount. Cheapness never wins.

So the price at theaterseatstore.com was good. Up until the time I ordered, there was not a big negative rant with them anywhere I could find... (the other place I was looking at, 4seating, literally looked like an epic failure thread here, as well as bad reviews everywhere)... of course Berkline was discontinued and Lane took their place. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that these problems had to do with their new association with Lane, but still, as far as ordering things go, I've never really had problems ordering anything from anywhere... and I buy EVERYTHING online.

So I placed the order in august, and because there was a delay in getting in the next shipments from Lane, the order would't be available until September. That was fine with me. Everyone seemed to have the same timetables no matter who you called unless you would take bonded leather. So due to the 3-4 week wait, they said I could pay half up front, and half when I shipped. Wonderful! So I did. In the 2nd week of september (the 13th), my credit card was charged for the remainder of the order. So naturally, getting no email from them, I called to get my tracking number. The person I spoke to told me it wasn't in the computer but he would ask shipping and get right back to me...

... I never got a call back. I emailed the customer service employee I talked with the previous day and got no reply. A few days later, after hearing nothing back, I called and spoke with the same guy again. He said that part of the order was damaged, which is why they had not shipped it to me right away, and that he would go talk to shipping again to figure out what they are doing... same thing happened... no reply. On the 24th of September I sent a long frustrated email to them and on the 26th I got a reply with appologies saying there is a new phone system, and that they couldnt make any outgoing phone calls, and not only that, their building does not get any cell phone reception. This of course came in an email.... which they could have used just as easily to tell me that earlier. But he assured me that they were waiting on the damaged piece and that it would be there tomorrow (a tuesday) or wednesday, and that it would definitely be shipped out by the end of the week. EXCELLENT!

On Friday (the 30th), I emailed back and asked for the tracking number, which I still had not received and got no reply, nor did I get through to anyone at customer service. After a few phone calls in the first week of Octobrer, I finally got a pro number with the trucking company and they were delivered on October 11th.

So.... I unboxed my 7 chair boxes... and the order was messed up. One chair only had a right armrest instead of both armrests, and I was shorted 1 tray table. Though this isn't drastic, it wouldn't allow me to put my chairs in a |O|OO|O| configuration. Instead I could do a |OO|OO| for the rear if I was a pushover.... but, I'm not settling. At least this is getting resolved quicker. As of 5pm today they have now believe me that my order is probably wrong, but require I take pictures of every chair I received to prove what it is that I got before they will correct the mistake. As my theater is not done yet for at least a few weeks, this is not a big deal as long as it gets corrected.... but this journey has not been an easy one!

AT LEAST I can say that the chairs all came in perfect condition, the leather feels wonderful, and the cushioning is very comfortable. I'm sure once I put these in I will be very happy with my chairs....just not the trials of acquiring them!
post #553 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry to hear about the issues with your chairs. I know exactly how you feel. It just seems like some organisations place no value on customer service. Sometimes I rant and rave when it happens to me but then ultimately I just accept that it's part and parcel of dealing with online companies. Overall I have been really lucky and saved a lot of money through online purchasing. Hope that they resolve your problems soon.

Follow my thread here
post #554 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Sorry to hear about the issues with your chairs. I know exactly how you feel. It just seems like some organisations place no value on customer service. Sometimes I rant and rave when it happens to me but then ultimately I just accept that it's part and parcel of dealing with online companies. Overall I have been really lucky and saved a lot of money through online purchasing. Hope that they resolve your problems soon.

Yeah... fortunately this hasn't affected my timetable in any way yet, so it is only frustrating on a personal level. If I had to wait two weeks after finishing my theater... well then.... that's why I'm a little hesitant to try to correct anything since I have 7 chairs that will mostly work for me. Who knows what the turnaround time for 1 chair will be or what they will expect me to do. I'm sure I"ll find out tomorrow.

On the bright side of movie room news, this weekend is red panel weekend!
post #555 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

as I needed my cash to pay BIG

Good plan.
post #556 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I thought BIG worked for food.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #557 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Good plan.

I thought Big does all this for free with a nice meal thrown in every once in a while as the tip

War Eagle!
post #558 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BIG does do all of the work for free, but then he invoices you for his company
post #559 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

All my stories are worth twice what I charge. Including the one about a guy I had to fire who tried to expense a hooker as secretarial services. He was so dumb to think that what he wrote in the establishment box on the American Express receipt might not match the vendor name that showed up on his monthly report for his corporate American Express card.

My hourly rate is actually very reasonable. Damelon argues that he should get a discount if he has to listen to me repeating the same joke for the 7th or 8th time.
post #560 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
For the record, I ordered from 4seating last fall and no problems whatsoever.

Arrived early, right configuration.

I heard they were under new management and CS was much better than the rants that are all over the internet.
post #561 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Good plan.

Don't pay too much in advance.... He's coming to australia to hang drywall.

Follow my thread here
post #562 of 2473 Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

For the record, I ordered from 4seating last fall and no problems whatsoever.

Arrived early, right configuration.

I heard they were under new management and CS was much better than the rants that are all over the internet.

Damn... and I could have gone even cheaper!
post #563 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Damn... and I could have gone even cheaper!

Funny thing was though, I didn't really do ANY research on it beforehand.

I saw their website and thought, "website looks nice, these chairs look nice, let's order some".

After I placed the order I found the negative rants on the net, but everything worked out fine.
post #564 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny thing was though, I didn't really do ANY research on it beforehand.

I saw their website and thought, "website looks nice, these chairs look nice, let's order some".

After I placed the order I found the negative rants on the net, but everything worked out fine.

Lots of times with online stores, you only see the rants and raves of the people that had problems or issues with the online company. Little issues sometimes get blown way out of control, people expressing their emotions on the keyboard.

Not too many people make a big nice review or take time out of their day to make compliments to companies that actually do their job.

Everyone just expects that to be the case with everything they order. Most online companies do not even stock their inventory, they get it dropped shipped from the manufacture.

Not defending any company, but just my experience.

post #565 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
True as that is, this company just seems to have a TERRIBLE record of customer service. I can understand shipping delays due to manufacturer delays, etc, but when it takes DAYS to reach someone, it REALLY makes me think twice. I'll go with the customer service every time.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #566 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

True as that is, this company just seems to have a TERRIBLE record of customer service. I can understand shipping delays due to manufacturer delays, etc, but when it takes DAYS to reach someone, it REALLY makes me think twice. I'll go with the customer service every time.

I agree completely. That's why I have stuck with USAA even though their prices have gone up a bit... their customer service is amazing. I continue to use places like newegg even if I find a better price somewhere, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Lots of times with online stores, you only see the rants and raves of the people that had problems or issues with the online company. Little issues sometimes get blown way out of control, people expressing their emotions on the keyboard.

Not too many people make a big nice review or take time out of their day to make compliments to companies that actually do their job.

It's also true that most people never bother to write a good review. You only hear the bad. Look at that guy Krinkle in the display forum section here. He takes every opportunity to bash JVC because he had a bad experience with them.

Quote:

I thought the same thing on the 4seating website. Best website as far as seating companies go. Great selection, good prices. Was ready to place an order with them until I found a lot of people complaining. Of course, being the biggest company you will have the most complaints. I mean, how many forum posts do you think talk about terrible iphone antennas, or windows BSODs... of course with the biggest adoption rates will come the biggest number of haters. I think that most of the problems arise when anything is custom configurable.

If all of the chairs only came certain ways, and they were boxed and labeled, then everyone would just scan the right chairs before shipping and then put those boxes on a truck. No incorrect orders possible, just possible damaged ones. So in my case, Berkline does not make chairs with just a right armrest, but my configuration required it. So they have to take a chair with 2 armrests, and remove one. Except in my case for some reason they removed the left armrest from both of the two-armrest chairs instead of just one. I'm sure just a mental glitch (In your head repeating... Remove the left armrest, remove the left armrest...). The left armrests have the super deep storage compartments too, so they put the storage tables in those. But the ones with Right armrests are smaller since the recliner mechanism is also in the right armrests. So those chairs require a tray table to be packaged with the chair. Another "custom" deal involving work other than scanning a box. So I can see how those two problems happened. But going through this phone call game for weeks with customer service beforehand was the REAL problem.
post #567 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

D,

That sucks u had to deal with that. I hate drama.
post #568 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, BS excuses and multiple phone calls are unacceptable. That's just poor CS. If they are having problems, just tell the customer the truth and not make promises they cannot deliver. Customers usually are understanding when the truth is told.

post #569 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news at least, they will ship me the new chair without me having to do anything, and will pick up the extra incorrect one they gave me when they deliver the new one. They will also include the missing tray tables along with the new chair. They should let me know as soon as today how quickly they will be able to send this out. I could technically go with the 7 I have in a double-loveseat configuration for the time being if I happen to finish with things before it gets here.
post #570 of 2473 Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

That IS good news. Now I can relax and not worry about this for the weekend.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page