post #61 of 2492 Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Well, BIG's working on another build. Looks like this one will be done in another week or so, now

I wish it would be done in a week! Early stages seem to move very fast. Things visually change so much. In my opinion once the drywall goes up the real project actually begins! I do work full time, so finding time to get things done is hard.

I did feed BIG, but my wife let me know that my brain flatlined when I came home and I just pulled into the garage like I always do and just walked into the house... not knowing, or even considering, that for once I had a passenger in my vehicle who had maybe a foot of clearance to get out of the car and around the little stairwell in there to get inside. I'm not used to having anyone in my car. Sorry about that BIG!

I'm still picking out pieces of fiberglass from my skin. I had some water-sandals type of footwear and now i have glass fibers stuck into the bottom of my toes. Way to go stupidity! It always wins with me. On another note I was wearing goggles and mask all day and I could still feel that damn mask on my face for about 6 hours afterwords

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2492 Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Unbelievable guys! You knocked out a months work in a day. Road trip to Omaha when you get done with it! Free room and board.

My perpetual home theater build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 2492 Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

How about a system for the sunroom and theater two zone system that allows you to control either thermostat from the other.

From SmartHhome "Designed to work with the Aprilaire® Programmable Thermostat (#3020A), the Aprilaire® 4-Zone Comfort Control System goes well beyond controlling heating and cooling and into the role of orchestrating the entire HVAC system to increase your comfort and convenience while saving you energy and money. The 4-Zone Comfort Control System works as the nerve center that provides a central wiring hub and information interchange for the system along with the Programmable Thermostat to work with single or multi-stage forced air heating/cooling equipment and control two, three, or four zones. To operate the system, just set each zone's thermostat to your desired comfort. Information is then shared among thermostats through the 4-Zone Comfort Control System to optimize performance and convenience. This means you can turn on/off, adjust or simply view any thermostat from any other thermostat ."

$200

I looked at SmartHome to read about the above thermostat and came across this one http://www.smarthome.com/30403A/Vens...-Rewire/p.aspx

This seems to be a great alternative to adding cooled air to a theater in the summer. It still does not solve the winter watching sessions, but when you are in the theater you could have the thermostat with you in order to keep it comfortable. Unfortunately, you would also be cooling the remaining part of the house on the same zone. What am I missing? Is there a reason why this wouldn't work?

(A GPowers Inspired Fabric Framed Theater)

post #64 of 2492 Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGAMD View Post

I looked at SmartHome to read about the above thermostat and came across this one http://www.smarthome.com/30403A/Vens...-Rewire/p.aspx

This seems to be a great alternative to adding cooled air to a theater in the summer. It still does not solve the winter watching sessions, but when you are in the theater you could have the thermostat with you in order to keep it comfortable. Unfortunately, you would also be cooling the remaining part of the house on the same zone. What am I missing? Is there a reason why this wouldn't work?

That is much closer to what I was envisioning. Actually what we ended up doing was that we have 3 HVAC units in our house. The 3rd only heats/cools the sunroom. We tapped into that with the theater. Every return and supply have dampers. However we plan to leave them open and have the fan on, thus recycling the air between the two rooms, and then cooling when necessary. In the winter we dont necessarily need to heat the sunroom since it is connected to the main level, but we can close the damper and run the 3rd hvac system to just the theater for cooling.

But that product there was exactly what I was hinting at before. Be able to remotely adjust the temp.

We got a lot of work done today, but since BIG was the one with the Camera, I'm going to let him do all of the updates.

post #65 of 2492 Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Weekend Update.

Here is what 2 guys and a couple of dogs got done in 14 1/2 hours this weekend

Resolved three framing issues, moved the rack rough in up, anchored a loose wall and added some missing cripple studs over the door

Removed existing ceiling lighting circuits

Finished the remaining 80% of the insulation, R13 walls and R19 ceiling. Unfaced insulation where there was and existing insulated wall with vapor barrier in place, faced everywhere else.

Installed RSIC-04 clips between the top plate and ceiling joists in the theater and the equipment room

Determined projector wiring locations and installed 2 inch conduit and Romex.

marked ceiling joists for whisper clips, installed clips and 25 gauge channel.

Some pictures

Equipment room view of conduit for the projector

OSHA rejected photo of marking whisper clip locations, either wear protective glasses or turn your back. The Theater owner hard at work. Laser is sitting on the floor.

Putting up a clip

All the clips and channel installed!

I'm pleased to report that not a single sheet of drywall was stolen thanks to the rescued pincher. I'm staying on this side of the pile.

We decided to hold off on the plywood for the projector until the first layer of drywall goes up since it is in the middle of the ceiling not at the back and we want to position it tightly to the adjacent drywall. As it turns out it is best positioned after 4 rows of drywall so we are going to wait.

PROJECTS:

post #66 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Unbelievable guys! You knocked out a months work in a day. Road trip to Omaha when you get done with it! Free room and board.

Plane ticket to Omaha $300
Big's hourly rate x hours spent working $(not as bad as you would think)
Room and board

Result : Priceless

PROJECTS:

post #67 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 AM

Liked: 10
If Big wants to come up to PA to finish my room Gas money covered- I'll even come down and pick him up- just fill out the mnu selections in advance

Robert

RT

post #68 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Room and board

Haha. Ever been to Minneapolis?

Excellent work so far in this build. Subscribed.
post #69 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Haha. Ever been to Minneapolis?

I grew up in Hopkins.

PROJECTS:

post #70 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Room and board

Quote:

I grew up in Hopkins.

Very cool, I lived in NOVA for 8 years (Arlington/Alexandria).

We could use you here in Minnesota Big, bunch of builds going on.
post #71 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Send ticket and get your checkbook out.

PROJECTS:

post #72 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Very cool, I lived in NOVA for 8 years (Arlington/Alexandria).

We could use you here in Minnesota Big, bunch of builds going on.
Where I was born in Minneapolis and now live in NOVA... small world!

post #73 of 2492 Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Damelon

Did a quick sketch to rough scale on grid paper to get a rough approximation of stage dimensions. We can use this to estimate materials but we still can modify as we go. Maybe the curve just a couple inches shallower etc. Look at the right side angled part there is an error on the left. Each square is 6 inches.

What the bones will look like for reference

PROJECTS:

post #74 of 2492 Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First layer of drywall should be completed today, along with caulking of the main theater room. We are going to leave the equipment room un-drywalled until we have finished running the wires into the main room.

I have BIG scheduled to come tomorrow to work with me on putting up the 2nd layer of drywall with green glue & caulking.

post #75 of 2492 Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

What tricks did you guys use to easily screw in the first layer of drywall and not miss the channels? Did you use a 2x4 with the levels marked on it?

When you mount the second layer of drywall, do you also screw it into the hat channel or is it just screwed into the first layer of drywall?

post #76 of 2492 Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What tricks did you guys use to easily screw in the first layer of drywall and not miss the channels? Did you use a 2x4 with the levels marked on it?

When you mount the second layer of drywall, do you also screw it into the hat channel or is it just screwed into the first layer of drywall?
The first layer of drywall is actually easy. You can see all of the channels when you start. You put up a piece of drywall perpendicular to the channels. Once you put up a piece of drywall up to the ceiling, you can see where the channels are on the rest of the ceiling all the way to the side of that piece of drywall. It's just a straight line underneath at that point. (If you can't visually picture it, draw several parallel horizontal lines on a piece of paper in front of you and place your hand down over them hiding the left half of each line. You know where the lines are because they continue on the same path as the ones you can still see)

The 2nd layer of drywall can go either way. We used 1.25" screws for the first layer, so they dont go too far through and hit the joists and screw into the channel. You can either use longer screws (2" or so) of the same type and screw into the channel through the first layer or you can use laminated screws and screw directly into the first layer. With the green glue between them, BIG says that would be more than enough to hold them together. You just need to be sure that you don't have screws that are too long that will screw into the joists (Thus eliminating your de-coupling) or into the actual clips themselves.

post #77 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

then I might run the risk of getting loganed.

Too late!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #78 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

So yesterday was the Green Glue festival. I think everyone had the pleasure of squeezing the gun. We followed pretty much the double load per sheet guideline and used 3 1/3 buckets for the 22x15 theater. the remaining will be used in the equipment room.

One little glitch in the coordination of workers is that before the first layer went up we had 4 boxes of screws. 1 1/4 and 2 inch fine thread for the metal channel (Ceiling) and a 1 5/8 and 2 inch course thread for the wood studs. I sent Damelon an Email suggesting he hide the boxes of 2 inch screws from the two workers who put up the first layer this week. He missed the email.

So yesterday after getting the second layer on the ceiling up and starting with the walls there was a complaint "HEY these screws aren't long enough" So I asked were is the box of 2 inch course thread screws? They showed me a nearly empty box of 2s and a full box of 1 5/8s.

Next time I'm leaving the 2s in my truck until the Green Glue festival starts.

PROJECTS:

post #79 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So yesterday after getting the second layer on the ceiling up and starting with the walls there was a complaint "HEY these screws aren't long enough" So I asked were is the box of 2 inch course thread screws? They showed me a nearly empty box of 2s and a full box of 1 5/8s.

Next time I'm leaving the 2s in my truck until the Green Glue festival starts.

At least they only used the 2" -WOOD- screws and not the metal ones. It only caused us to lose out on the screws. On the ceiling, that could have screwed us!

I have a lot of pics from yesterday to post, but can't do it at least until tonight.

So like BIG mentioned, on Wednesday, our 3rd party workers finished putting up the first layer of drywall and acoustical caulk in the theater room.

Thursday all 4 of us (Myself, our two polish contractors, and BIG) tackled layer #2, which was definately the Green Glue festival. That stuff definately gets everywhere! We put up a piece of plywood in place of a piece of drywall for the first layer where the projector mount or platform will go, and did our power hookup plus putty pads to seal it. (I have pics of this whole process to post).

Once the 2nd layer was well underway we let the polish guys finish the last half of the work while we worked on some parallel tasks. We wired our romex for the movie room & equipment room circuits, put in the boxes/etc (Almost all of which were in the equipment room). We put up clips/channel and ceiling insulation in the equipment room as well. By then the back end of the movie room's drywall was finished, so we cut the hole and hooked up the collar for the HVAC supply to the back corner of the room. This was later sealed with caulk. Having that air come in during work was a great bonus!

BIG and I sat down at the end of the day and had some fun with blue tape figuring out spacing and dimensions for columns, the riser, the steps, and the stage. We were going to go shopping for the materials but it was already 5:30 and we were tired.

Today the workers should be back and doing mudding and taping of the movie room. If we are lucky they will also get the drywall up in the equipment room but it isn't important for our schedule if they can hit that today or not.

Assuming all goes well, Saturday will be Riser & Stage day for BIG and I.

post #80 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

the dog didn't eat anything off the floor

I'll be happy to send Max over....he LIKES to pick up scraps of wood off the floor (among other things).

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #81 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

BIG and I sat down at the end of the day and had some fun with blue tape figuring out spacing and dimensions for columns, the riser, the steps, and the stage.

7'6" deep riser, 10x18 column, 30 inch inset step at an angle with step light . All inspired by the Sandman's riser. 109 Inches left between steps for seating.

Just for reference here is a shot of Sandman's riser bones. We will be doing a straight front not curved.

PROJECTS:

post #82 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Too late!

Wow, I thought Loganing had gone into retirement - glad you're back in the game (and you didn't notice I haven't done jack since my projector went in).

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #83 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Wow, I thought Loganing had gone into retirement - glad you're back in the game (and you didn't notice I haven't done jack since my projector went in).

+1 on this^^

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #84 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

BIG handled that task while I was putting up and cutting insulation for the walls. (If I ever do this again I'm just going to use blown-in cellulose insulation or have someone put it in. That fiberglass gets everywhere!)

Hehe - i remembered when I would do fiberglass and BIG would be working on something else

just got back from long trip and the thing i missed most while away was the awesome theater BIG helped me with

Amazing progress here and I'm sure it will be amazing -

D - you truly have an incredible resource helping out. can't wait to see how it turns out!

post #85 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesto View Post

Hehe - i remembered when I would do fiberglass and BIG would be working on something else

just got back from long trip and the thing i missed most while away was the awesome theater BIG helped me with

Amazing progress here and I'm sure it will be amazing -

D - you truly have an incredible resource helping out. can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks Jesto! I can't wait to see how it turns out either! And FYI, BIG has mentioned things he did on your build each day he has worked with me so far. I think the biggest topic of conversation is your drywall between your ceiling joists. I remember seeing that in your thread and praying I never had to do that. (My main level is all hardwood above so it DID cross my mind, I just decided against the work and time to do it)

On another note,
I am pretty sold on a 2.35:1 screen at 130" wide. And likely I will get the new Panasonic PT-7000U next month. (ProjectorCentral is supposedly writing a review on one they have on-hand right now and should have it up next week) I just want the CIH to be as painless as possible. It may be using a lens or the zooming method that is offered on the Pannys... not sure yet. But whatever I do, I want my solution be able to at least "support" 3D in both aspect ratios.

post #86 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM

The DD/GG under the joists was definitely a pain - i do think it paid off though, but i totally get not wanting to do it.

Makes sense on the CIH - i'm loving the setup now with the 4000 and the autozoom actually works pretty well as long as what you're watching doesn't have too many iMax scenes (like Dark Knight or Tron) - the picture quality is also pretty darn good and I have no regrets on the projector.

enjoy - and as an FYI - BIG really likes chocolate cake and Ice Cream - it pays to keep him happy

post #87 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Edit - just noticed Big is using a picture from someone elses theater.

are you guys going to be priming and painting the drywall or going with fabric on the walls?

post #88 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Edit - just noticed Big is using a picture from someone elses theater.

are you guys going to be priming and painting the drywall or going with fabric on the walls?

Fabric. Except for the center of the ceiling which will be painted and primed.

I know the picture posted was not our theater, but I can still explain it to you. That is Sandman/Ruben/SMX's theater. He used duct-board instead of metal or flex-tube ducting. Duct board comes in sheets, so when cut, two pieces can form a square tube. The holes cut into them are for the linear grilles he planned to use. The one on the side was a supply and the one in the rear was a return. After the soffits went up in his theater, those ducts were hidden in the soffit (Like we will be doing) and they constructed MDF casing to fit around each of the ducts, which was sort of part of the inside soffit frame.

post #89 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

Although the walls are going to be covered with fabric I lean toward slapping up a coat of drywall primer to "seal" all the drywall and compound from the effects of humidity and aging. But it is Damelon's call.

PROJECTS:

post #90 of 2492 Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Liked: 17
No photos containing bacon. I'm disappointed.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page