The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have to say, this is one of my favorite builds threads at AVS. Very well done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Damelon was kind in his summary of the day. What he didn't mention was that as we brought the last chair down the steps I lost my footing and in an unconscious effort to compensate, slammed the chair against the wall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

What BIG didn't tell you is a mere mortal man would have been crushed under the weight of the thing! It was probably a concrete wall too.... Maybe even steal!!!

Actually, it looks like the chair knocked him unconscious.
post #903 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Fantastic job guys, just absolutely outstanding. Sorry to hear that there was some "collateral damage" but sometimes things just happen like it or not. Glad to hear that through it all things still got done.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #904 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I have to say, this is one of my favorite builds threads at AVS. Very well done.

Agreed
post #905 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Found the hum from my subwoofers: It was the cable from the projector (3 prong) The actual cable-box cable had one too but I didn't have it hooked up. So there were actually 2 total.

Did my first Audessy XT32 setup a few minutes ago.

Now I'm updating my harmony remote and we'll see how it all goes.
post #906 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Room looks amazing. Glad you went with the dark carpet, it really contrasts nicely with the red.
post #907 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

room looks amazing. Glad you went with the dark carpet, it really contrasts nicely with the red.

^^^+1

post #908 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So you converted the three prong to a two prong clip?
post #909 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Very nice job gentlemen!
post #910 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

So you converted the three prong to a two prong clip?

Had to. I went though every item I have and it was definitely the projector causing the hum. Didn't want to do it that way but it did solve the problem. I plugged the 2-prong adapter into the power conditioner, so I'm not too worried about grounding issues.

Tested my first movie after calibration, LotR:FoTR....only did the first 10 min or so... amazing. Just amazing. Remember I've had these exact same speakers in my previous home theater, and the sound is many times better. The dialogue is so clear and crisp. The subs are punchy and undistorted. And the projector's PQ is amazing.

All of the reviews of the Sony's PQ out of the box were spot on. You only have to adjust 2 things for almost perfect Rec703 color. It looks amazing. I also love the SMX screen. I can't notice the weave at all, and the picture is nice and bright, even with my large screen size.

I can also confirm that the lens memory only works 99%. I have the same problem reported. When switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1 and vice versa, the vertical lens shift is off by a couple ticks each time. It only takes a second to correct, but the issue is there.
post #911 of 2532 Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

Room looks amazing. Glad you went with the dark carpet, it really contrasts nicely with the red.

I also really like the carpet. It turned out just like I wanted it. Not quite black and a cool geometric pattern. It also has a lot of physical texture with raised and lowered squares.
post #912 of 2532 Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I'm choosing "Superlative" as my superlative!!

Very nicely done gentlemen!

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #913 of 2532 Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 PM

simply FANTASTIC.

I hope to copy, steal and try and duplicate many of the great ideas/design of this theater.

Brad T
post #914 of 2532 Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
D,
The lens memory issue has got to be a little frustrating. Have you given any thought to returning the projector and getting a JVC or Panny, since they have lens memory as well?
post #915 of 2532 Old 11-12-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

D,
The lens memory issue has got to be a little frustrating. Have you given any thought to returning the projector and getting a JVC or Panny, since they have lens memory as well?

It is a little frustrating. But not a deal breaker. The picture quality is everything I was hoping for. The lens memory gets me very close to the actual position and zoom. Since everything can be adjusted easily with the remote, it literally only takes a few seconds to make the correction. It's not like I am switching 16:9 to 2.35:1 every minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude 08 View Post

simply FANTASTIC.

I hope to copy, steal and try and duplicate many of the great ideas/design of this theater.

Feel free! That's why we post these things. For people to get ideas and use them. I did the same thing before I built mine!
post #916 of 2532 Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Liked: 14
Not sure which Harmony you have but I assume it's the 1000 or 1100. As you probably know, you can't do sequences with the 1100 like you can with the 1000 which would allow you to program those extra button presses to shift the lens.

However, I've been able to get around that somewhat with my 1100 by programming a single button in the backend by manually pressing the button combination while tricking Harmony to think its learning a single button. Downside to that is that you can only get about five button presses recorded.
post #917 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

On the side walls between riser and rear wall is 5' high of 1" 3lb dense cotton (this is 5' up front foundation, not the riser).

Damelon,

What did you use for treatment above the 5' mark on the side walls from the riser to the back wall?

Also, what did your throw distance end up being for the Sony 95ES on your 130" wide screen?

The room turned out amazing! I echo the sentiments about the write up, the pictorial documentation, and last but not least BIG's major contribution to the build. Outstanding!
post #918 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post

Damelon,

What did you use for treatment above the 5' mark on the side walls from the riser to the back wall?

Also, what did your throw distance end up being for the Sony 95ES on your 130" wide screen?

The room turned out amazing! I echo the sentiments about the write up, the pictorial documentation, and last but not least BIG's major contribution to the build. Outstanding!

There are no treatments on the side walls from 5' up to the soffit between the riser and the rear wall. This is to allow a little reflection area for a brighter surround stage.

We went just over the minimum throw. A few inches back.
post #919 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So just an FYI. I have twin axiom-audio EP-500 subs. I've had an issue with their volume knobs since I got them. The issue being, say the volume knob has 100 possible points. (It doesnt click, just a normal volume knob) It goes from 0db to about 80 db at point 3 or so. In other words, the power doesnt seem evenly distributed along the knob. This has always made calibrating VERY difficult. So I finally decided to email support about it. They say it's a problem with the sub's amps, and I can unscew them and mail them to them, getting them repaired for free. But now that I've finished my theater, I don't know that I want to do that! Plus Axiom is in Canada.
post #920 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 729
When we got ready to hang the projector we first fired it up sitting on a box that put it at about the bottom edge of the screen. Then moved it to where when zoomed out the most (biggest) we could hit 130 wide. At that point we put a tape on it and it was a few inches short of what the projector specs called for , we than moved it back a few more inches and determined where on the ceiling the mount would need to go.
post #921 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

So just an FYI. I have twin axiom-audio EP-500 subs. I've had an issue with their volume knobs since I got them. The issue being, say the volume knob has 100 possible points. (It doesnt click, just a normal volume knob) It goes from 0db to about 80 db at point 3 or so. In other words, the power doesnt seem evenly distributed along the knob. This has always made calibrating VERY difficult. So I finally decided to email support about it. They say it's a problem with the sub's amps, and I can unscew them and mail them to them, getting them repaired for free. But now that I've finished my theater, I don't know that I want to do that! Plus Axiom is in Canada.

Axiom has been well knows for their great customer service. It might cost you some time and $$$ to ship them, but they will get turned around and your new amps will be in your hands before you know it. You could also send in 1 amp at a time so that you still have a working setup. Might be a few dollars more to ship them independantly, but at least you wouldn't be down 100% in the LFE area. Too bad this issue didn't come up before or during the build, you could have sent them in and have the replacements back well before construction was done.
post #922 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
WORDS WORDS WORDS.... Needs more pictures

Just kidding, of course. You guys did a magnificent job (nobody's used magnificent yet, have they?), and in near record time I'd guess. The theater looks great! It's been a lot of fun watching this build, and I suspect I'll be having withdrawals when the updates stop.

As far as the amps go, if it was me, I'd probably bite the bullet and have them fixed. But I'm the sort of person that knowing there's something wrong would drive me nuts. I'd think about it every time I went in there. If you're not that type, then it might not be an issue. Just my $0.02

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #923 of 2532 Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 PM

I hope you can give us a once over after you get some seat time in. What you're glad you did, what turned out better then expected, what you would do different. I can't imagine the excitement in getting the room finished an d actually watching a movie.

I am in Canada if you need help with your Axiom amps. I have also read they are great to deal with so I don't think your turn around time will be to bad.

Brad T
post #924 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Axiom has been well knows for their great customer service. It might cost you some time and $$$ to ship them, but they will get turned around and your new amps will be in your hands before you know it. You could also send in 1 amp at a time so that you still have a working setup. Might be a few dollars more to ship them independantly, but at least you wouldn't be down 100% in the LFE area. Too bad this issue didn't come up before or during the build, you could have sent them in and have the replacements back well before construction was done.

They have been great. I contacted them about it last week about it. Although the issue was there when I first purchased them, they used to be out in the open and it was easier to just play with it to adjust the volume. Behind the screen-wall now though, I don't want to have to mess with them ever. CS contacted me on saturday and said they would agree to repair them. I'd have to pay to ship them to them, but they would pay for return shipping. I replied to them about the possibility of staggering my shipments one at a time so, like you said, I would not be down 100% in the LFE area.

Thanks for the offer of help by the way dude08.
post #925 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Technically I am not done with the theater yet. There is still some fixes we have to do with the door (shaving another 1/8", and painting) and I want to do some treating in the equipment room because there is a lot of echo in there right now.

So you asked for a once over. Here are a few things I remember that made a big difference.

1) I think if I did the whole room again I would have used blown-in cellulose insulation for my ceiling space. It really fills the joist gaps much better than roll-type insulation. Though the room is still pretty much dead quiet when sealed. Having done it twice it's just my preference.
2) I'd triple check if all of the walls were level. We had some minor variances on the walls being level that made a lot of our pre-fab column parts VERY snug. So this is a combination of checking level and just measuring each column rather than making them all the same.
3) Know exactly where you want your door before you put it in Though I will be the first to admit, this really wasn't a lot of work to move.
4) Test any in-wall cables before putting them in the wall. My HDMI cable to my projector just didn't work at all. Lucky for us, it was in a conduit and the replacement worked.
5) Have a dedicated workspace outside of the theater room to do all of your construction. Working inside of the theater was a mess and there was tons of dust and cleanup we didn't need to have in there. If you have a garage, use it!
6) If you can get lumber/materials a little bit cheaper from some random place, stop to think about it first. Places like Home Depot will cut all of your wood for you for free. You might be able to save a buck somewhere else, but if they don't do free ripping/etc you lose a lot of time. Free labor is always worth a LOT.
7) This isn't something that hurt us on our build, but an FYI, order anything that is "Custom" in advance. Things like theater seats, custom hinges or doorknobs or linear grilles, etc. These things may take weeks to arrive and if you wait until you need them, your project may hit a brick wall.
8) HUGE one for us... PAINT COLOR! If you use paint, be POSITIVE you are using the right color before you do any work. I think I ended up painting all of the wood in my room 6 total times. I changed paint after the first coat of the light tray, painted everything else with 3 coats, found out the color looked completely different under the right lighting with the fabric in the right place, and had to re-paint again 2 more coats. Fabric colors do NOT look the same under direct light and they do not look the same if the angle of the light changes. Hung on the wall, the color was much different than laying on a table under the light.
9) Tools. For any power tool other than a drill (And sometimes EVEN a drill if you are using large drill bits) use CORDED tools. Battery powered things are great for small cuts, but for anything large you will need the torque of a corded tool. Ran into this with some cases of drilling and with a circle saw. Don't buy a tool you will only use one day. Rent it. Why on earth spend the money on something you might never use again. If you have help, you don't need a drywall lift. Just a "T" brace worked great, but we did have more than one person working to help. Two tools you absolutely MUST own. 1) A mitre saw 2) a quality cordless driver/drill. Depending on what you do with your own theater, you might need a good table saw. And you WILL need lights & extension cords.
10) Consider your treatments during your initial design phase. My treatment plan had 4" deep treatments on my rear wall. 4" is pretty thick. If you want things to be uniform, you should stop to consider what space your treatments will take up.
11) Help. Any helper, skilled or unskilled, is a huge help. A lot of times BIG and I worked together, one of us was holding something while the other person did the screwing/drilling. Large pieces, like 2' x 8' pieces of plywood, are heavy. Holding it up will be a major PiTA if you have to do it AND secure it. Think about things like lifting soffit pieces, or holding wall panels in place. Covering the fabric on the frames even.... an extra set of hands makes a HUGE difference in how long something takes and how well it gets done.

To be honest, not a lot of things were really lessons-learned, they were more just mistakes we made. The cable thing could have easily been prevented, but BIG and I checking each other's work as we did it solved almost all of our huge problems. So having someone else check your work is a big bonus!
post #926 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What I liked? Besides the catch all of "Everything!"...

1) Working with BIG. More of a friend than a contractor. Always got down to business. Helped with my motivation and calling me out when i tried to take shortcuts. You can see on our build time alone, let alone the quality of the product, that working with BIG made all the difference for me. Not to mention all of the collaboration on great ideas that made my theater my own. I loved working with him.

2) Fabric Panels & Treatments. Sure, making them was a royal pain. But I love how the look, I love the color, and I love how much of a difference it makes to treat the entire room and hiding it behind GOM vs just making a few panels here and there. The sound is incredible. I've never heard clearer dialogue anywhere... and that includes movie theaters.

3) THIS FORUM. What a resource. Ever since my wife and I knew we were moving into this house and had begun saving, I started researching. I must have read half this forum collecting ideas. Of course most of them came from Ruben/Sandman's theater. I re-read his entire thread at least a half dozen times collecting every measurement, brand name, material, etc. It really helped to have a lot of general design questions answered before we started. BIG and I would look at pictures to see how he did something and then come up with a variation if necessary for our own custom ideas. Not to mention all of the input everything here gave during our build. If you build a theater, POST IT. No matter how simple or complex your build is, it might help someone, but it will definitely help YOU. Other people will provide input and answer questions free of charge. And you might in turn help someone else make a decision or provide some information some day.

4) SMX! Besides the thanks above, his help getting a great screen and giving me the ideas to complete my theater.

5) The entire soundproofing plan. It was so hard to tell until it was finally done how good the soundproofing was. And I definitely had my doubts. My entire basement was not insulated on the ceiling (Other than my room) and any time there was any opening, be it the door not being in to even the hole where the rack is to the equipment room... I couldn't tell. But when we finally got the door seals in and closed both the movie room door and the equipment room door, all sounds just vanished. The loudest noises are usually hearing your own heartbeat. I love the room-in-a-room plan with DD & GG. I don't even hear any noises through the HVAC either.
post #927 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for posting your list. It may seem simple but, number 11 is not to be underrated. For most of us building these theaters DIY, I know my productivity is much better even with just another set of unskilled hands like my own. You're right, holding up the plywood, sheetrock, etc. and securing it in place can wear you down and slow progress, and my progress is slow enough anyway.

Your theater has turned out beautifully and certainly sets another high bar for others to aim for. Thanks,

Dale
post #928 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Damelon, others,

Do you have a link to the Ruben/Sandman thread(s) you mentioned?

Beautiful space you have. Quality workmanship really pays off.

Thanks,
Cory

The BAMA Theatre Build - feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #929 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

Damelon, others,

Do you have a link to the Ruben/Sandman thread(s) you mentioned?

Beautiful space you have. Quality workmanship really pays off.

Thanks,
Cory

Yep. It's 5 years old now but still awesome

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574704
post #930 of 2532 Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Wow. I'm only a few pages in but the level of detail (from OP and contributors alike) is fantastic.

I thought I had read all the major threads here but don't know how I missed this. Guess I just wasn't around in '05.

Thanks for the link.
Cory

The BAMA Theatre Build - feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page