The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes

post #991 of 3019 Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
doink http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=758

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3019 Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Damelon,

Was showing the wife your theater tonight as we were looking at seating and she prefers your "sofa" setup to the "individual armrests" approach. Originally, I was in the "individual" camp and planned my layout accordingly but I can save some serious and much needed width with a setup like yours and, honestly, I'm starting to warm to the idea as I think it looks great in your case. Other similar setups I've seen? Not so much. Not sure why your's works for me but it does so I'm very open to the idea.

In your experience/opinion, what are the ups and downs of this style of seating apart from the obvious width-saving bonus? This is my first theater so I don't have any seat time in either setup. How do you recline the middle seat without an armrest? Any comfort issues with it? Where does the middle person put a drink? Stuff like that...
post #993 of 3019 Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Damelon is a newlywed. Do you really need to ask about the pro's? From my experience when these wear out the replacements will have individual armrests.

When what wears out?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #994 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

When what wears out?

My first thought was that if damelon was a newlywed, why would he even have an interest in a theater. When I was a newlywed a theater was not what I was thinking about.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #995 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unacceptable View Post

In your experience/opinion, what are the ups and downs of this style of seating apart from the obvious width-saving bonus? This is my first theater so I don't have any seat time in either setup. How do you recline the middle seat without an armrest? Any comfort issues with it? Where does the middle person put a drink? Stuff like that...

For the most part, the ONLY real cons are the lack of tables/cupholders for the people sitting in the middle. Most people you have in your own theater you wouldn't mind sitting next to, and if you have enough seats you can just sit somewhere else if that isn't the case anyway. I personally prefer individual seats too but I like my own personal space. The wife is the exception of course.

How long does the term "Newlywed" last? It's already been over a year. And when you've dated someone for years that effect doesn't really exist. But home improvements in general was a big priority for both of us in our own houses even before we were married.
post #996 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Hmmmm. I was told the honeymoon is over when you are in the bathroom brushing your teeth and your significant other comes in and visits the toilet. I guess everyone has different priorities

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #997 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Hmmmm....I thought it was when your wife lets one rip and says something like "squeaky floor," or "must be frogs," or "jet propulsion."

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #998 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Hmmmm....I thought it was when your wife lets one rip and says something like "squeaky floor," or "must be frogs," or "jet propulsion."

I think one of the worst surprises about the honeymoon ending was discovering that women farts smell WAY worse than man farts. I think they hold them too long and they ferment or something.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #999 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #1000 of 3019 Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

I think we are re-defining "Off Topic".

I think we are redefining 'off color'.

Follow my thread here
post #1001 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I wondered how long it would take before even this classic/classy thread strayed off course/topic/color......whatever. Took longer than I thought it would, but alas it has happened.

It is not a build thread UNTIL it strays off topic.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1002 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 3327
If Damelon would paint the door and post some pictures we could easily get back on course. That, and some superimposed screen shots.
post #1003 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If Damelon would paint the door and post some pictures we could easily get back on course. That, and some superimposed screen shots.

He's a lazy bugger that Damelon. Rumor has it you did all the work anyway Big!

Follow my thread here
post #1004 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 3327
I just know that Damelon would rather got to the dentist than get out the brushes again, I think he has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from painting the trim and columns 5 times.
post #1005 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I just know that Damelon would rather got to the dentist than get out the brushes again, I think he has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from painting the trim and columns 5 times.

Sooo true. After re-painting all that crap that many times I never want to see paint again! Then again every weekend holds a chance that I might get some work done.

Nice try Dingaling, that's not going to get me any more motivated to paint!

----

HTPC Status : converting my whole blu ray ISO library to MKV is taking a LONG time! 64 moved over so far, 288 to go. Then there are some discs I have to re-rip on top of that. Ugh. At least I can remote into my home network and do conversions from the office.
post #1006 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

I feel your pain with the converting. I'm almost finish ripping my Bly ray collection to mkv. 325 to be exact. And then converting half of those to mp4 so the wife and kids can watch on iPads. I have over 16TB of storage, still have plenty on room, Wish I could teach the wife how to rip, as easy as it is, still rocket science to her, would make the process a lot faster.

Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
post #1007 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

I feel your pain with the converting. I'm almost finish ripping my Bly ray collection to mkv. 325 to be exact. And then converting half of those to mp4 so the wife and kids can watch on iPads. I have over 16TB of storage, still have plenty on room, Wish I could teach the wife how to rip, as easy as it is, still rocket science to her, would make the process a lot faster.

What are you using to rip MKV to mp4?

post #1008 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

It's to much screwing around to convert mkv to mp4, im just re-ripping the blurays to mp4. Only bad thing about mkv is that it's a pita to convert then to anything else.

Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
post #1009 of 3019 Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

It's to much screwing around to convert mkv to mp4, im just re-ripping the blurays to mp4. Only bad thing about mkv is that it's a pita to convert then to anything else.

What are you using to rip the BDs to MP4's? I only use makeMKV now.

post #1010 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

What are you using to rip the BDs to MP4's? I only use makeMKV now.

I am using Pavtube Blu-Ray ripper to change BD's to MP-4 or any other number of file types. Good program but slow. I am backing up my copy of Captain America. It knocks it down to about 8Gb but takes about 8 hours per movie. Is this about the norm?

I am using an Imac 24 inch

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #1011 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

I am using Pavtube Blu-Ray ripper to change BD's to MP-4 or any other number of file types. Good program but slow. I am backing up my copy of Captain America. It knocks it down to about 8Gb but takes about 8 hours per movie. Is this about the norm?

I am using an Imac 24 inch

Greg

Dear god, 8 hours per movie. I bet the time you spend watching that movie (In your entire life) takes less than that. At least my ISO to MKV conversions are more like 15-20 min ea. Playback is also flawless. So an ipad can't play an MKV file or is it that you want to put the movie on the ipad? Seems like too much work to me.
post #1012 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Dear god, 8 hours per movie. I bet the time you spend watching that movie (In your entire life) takes less than that. At least my ISO to MKV conversions are more like 15-20 min ea. Playback is also flawless. So an ipad can't play an MKV file or is it that you want to put the movie on the ipad? Seems like too much work to me.

That does seem like a long time, BUT, the savings in size is enormous. I ripped Captain America from BR and kept only the English subtitles and none of the extras. It is 33.2GB. If the mp4 is only 8, that's a quarter of the size. Is there any loss of resolution?

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #1013 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

That does seem like a long time, BUT, the savings in size is enormous. I ripped Captain America from BR and kept only the English subtitles and none of the extras. It is 33.2GB. If the mp4 is only 8, that's a quarter of the size. Is there any loss of resolution?

If the file size is going to 8GB, then the video does get compressed, which means the quality is degraded. Then again if you are playing the movie on an IPAD, then the size is much more important than perfect quality and to be honest, who is going to bitch about any quality loss on a tablet screen? The smaller the screen, the less the quality matters. (Think of a streaming video in a little window on your screen vs how it looks if you blow it up to full screen. One looks fine, the other looks very blocky and pixilated) That all being said... I'd never spend 8 hours of time to convert something just so I could put it on my tablet.
post #1014 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If the file size is going to 8GB, then the video does get compressed, which means the quality is degraded. Then again if you are playing the movie on an IPAD, then the size is much more important than perfect quality and to be honest, who is going to bitch about any quality loss on a tablet screen? The smaller the screen, the less the quality matters. (Think of a streaming video in a little window on your screen vs how it looks if you blow it up to full screen. One looks fine, the other looks very blocky and pixilated) That all being said... I'd never spend 8 hours of time to convert something just so I could put it on my tablet.

You are right....I must have had a brain fart....I mean there were three reasons why this was not a good idea.... :-)

I will rip the BRs to the ipad only if I am going to travel for a long time. For me, it's all about the quality of the experience. Watching movies on the ipad is OK at best, but I'd not do it for any new movie or anything like that. And, I'm with you...8 hours for a conversion is a long time. Heck, most of the BRs that I've purchased recently come with a digital copy, so no ripping would be required.

post #1015 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You are right....I must have had a brain fart....I mean there were three reasons why this was not a good idea.... :-)

I will rip the BRs to the ipad only if I am going to travel for a long time. For me, it's all about the quality of the experience. Watching movies on the ipad is OK at best, but I'd not do it for any new movie or anything like that. And, I'm with you...8 hours for a conversion is a long time. Heck, most of the BRs that I've purchased recently come with a digital copy, so no ripping would be required.

Keep in mind too, I think that he said this was the time it took go from MKV to MP4. If you go from your original ISO or Disc, there are programs that do pretty much 1 click ISO->MP4 which ask what your output playback device is. It also takes a lot less time. Like Ipod or Ipad. And so it knows what compression to use to make the display look good based on the size of the screen used for playback.

I use MakeMKV only because I don't want any loss to the audio and video quality. On some movies, it can cut the total size in half (Because they have 2 versions of the movie or a "Making of" on the disc) but on other movies you are only eliminating the previews, the menu, and a couple of audio tracks, so you might only shave off 5GB. But also because MKV can be played back on a majority of extender devices. You also don't need to purchase playback software like TMT or PDVD to playback all of your blu rays.

If I needed MORE size beyond that, there are other MKV conversion programs that will compress the video a a little. Some people either don't notice or don't care, but it will save you space. I'd like to use the phrase "Well storage is cheap these days" but since the flooding it's not as cheep as it was. Still, I prefer to keep my media quality at the mastered levels, especially when I would be projecting it on a big screen. Why build a theater if my source material isn't even top notch?
post #1016 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Some people either don't notice or don't care, but it will save you space. I'd like to use the phrase "Well storage is cheap these days" but since the flooding it's not as cheep as it was. Still, I prefer to keep my media quality at the mastered levels, especially when I would be projecting it on a big screen. Why build a theater if my source material isn't even top notch?

Well said. I can't say that I understand how people can't see the difference, but to each their own, right? Top notch space demands top notch quality.

I will say that you can quickly fill up storage space. My array is 12 TB and I've filled it as follows:

9 TB - MKV movies and ISOs (of concert videos)
1.5 TB - Music collection (FLAC and some MP3)
1 TB - Digital photo archive (personal home photos)
0.5 TB - Free

I desperately need to update the array to a hardware based RAID array. Maybe I'll get a conroller for Christmas.

The bummer is that I'll need to setup a SECOND array, then migrate data from the original array since I built the original array using Win2003 Server software RAID. To expand the array I have to empty it, then add disks, and then build the new array. Only after it is built and synched can I add data to it. When you have a TB or two, moving data is not that huge a deal, but with 12 TB, it's a HUGE deal! When I convert to hardware based RAID, I will be able to expand and contract as needed without emptying it.

post #1017 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well said. I can't say that I understand how people can't see the difference, but to each their own, right? Top notch space demands top notch quality.

I will say that you can quickly fill up storage space. My array is 12 TB and I've filled it as follows:

9 TB - MKV movies and ISOs (of concert videos)
1.5 TB - Music collection (FLAC and some MP3)
1 TB - Digital photo archive (personal home photos)
0.5 TB - Free

I desperately need to update the array to a hardware based RAID array. Maybe I'll get a conroller for Christmas.

The bummer is that I'll need to setup a SECOND array, then migrate data from the original array since I built the original array using Win2003 Server software RAID. To expand the array I have to empty it, then add disks, and then build the new array. Only after it is built and synched can I add data to it. When you have a TB or two, moving data is not that huge a deal, but with 12 TB, it's a HUGE deal! When I convert to hardware based RAID, I will be able to expand and contract as needed without emptying it.

And here I am doing the exact opposite as you.... moving away from hardware raid. It's just too over the top for me just for media storage
post #1018 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You guys seem to know as much, if not more, than anyone I've found around on here... At least you tend to speak in plain English.

Okay... Here's my question...

I appreciate great PQ and AQ, therefore I purchase most of the BDs that I want to watch. Like most of us, there are some that we go back to over and over again. I have a pretty simple setup... Denon 5803, Panny BD55, TWC HD DVR.

I like the idea of storing everything centrally (BD, DVD, home movies, music, etc.), but can't stand the technical side of the computer aspect. Love HT, Hate Computers.

e.g. I have been trying for days to burn an AVCHD disc on a DVD-R to watch on my Panny BD55. Tried txMuxer, multiAVCHD, Imgburn, Roxio, etc., and must be too stupid to get them to work properly. Finally bought the Nero Platinum 11, and it worked okay, but took over 2.5 hours for a 15minute disc. I get that it may be hardware related, and I would definitely be okay with buy all new dedicated gear to make this happen, but don't know where to start.

What are the benefits of "ripping" and storing BR discs that you already own?

How long does it take? Does anybody/place out there do all that crap for you? I don't have the time or the inclination to spend 2hrs per movie just to get it into my homebased "cloud".

What would I need to get everything up and running to hook up the storage device to my HT and store everything?

Most of this is spawned from the fact that I bought an HD Canon camcorder when our son was born two years ago. After getting frustrated for days trying to figure out how to easily and quickly play HD content on a BR player, I called Canon. They basically told me, at that point, there was no easy way to do it. So I have just been storing the raw folder data on DVDs and waiting to figure something out. I figured out to buy all 4G cards so that I could just dump the raw content/folders onto a DVD.

Any ideas?

Is there a BIG-type person out there that can get me set up?
post #1019 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The one thing I haven't really gone full circle on yet is burning blu rays back to a piece of blu ray media. I used to burn dvds all the time and the one big thing I ran into when I started that was finding dvd players that would actually play a burned disc. Over the years, almost all of them started to do this. I'd assume pretty much any player would play a burned disc.

As far as what I would use to WRITE discs. I only use one utility to burn discs. ImgBurn. It can rip ISOs, or write ISOs. It's not very good for random folders of discs, but it can do that too, it's just not really made for that. But it worked every time. For standard DVD-R discs, I just use generic discs on a spool. I still have many spools of Taiyo-Yuden branded media and they all work great. I've never had an issue getting a burn to work. Download ImgBurn, put in media, open imgburn, click the big button Write Image to Disc, and then it goes. It's pretty simple.

If you need to remote region coding or copy protection to READ a disc, I use AnyDvdHD. Works every time and updates are quick.

As far as your "Central Location" problem. If you aren't computer savvy, then it's hard to recommend anything. You can buy a pre-built unRaid server from Lime Technology, but you still would need to learn how to manage it. You can buy a HTPC from someone like Assassin here that is compact and pre-configured for playback.

What are the benefits? All of your media would be at your fingertips no matter where you are. A click of a button and you can see any movie, picture, or song you have. You can easily browse through them all, seeing all of the cover art and images from the movie as well as a description on your screen. (Which is great for people like my wife who can't remember anything about a movie the day after we watch it) And you don't need a place to have all of your physical media stored where you can see it and get to it. Not only that, it can't get scratched that way. Rip it and store it somewhere. Your original media is your backup. We have a lot of people over and our physical media gets abused and stolen. Kids and media do not mix. We've had many of our movies damaged, stolen, or just plain lost from the kids that come through our house. They can't mess with something they can't touch!

Are there drawbacks? Well, sure. Storing your movies as MKVs doesn't really get you anything. Sure they are easily accessible, but you are paying money (Potentially a lot) for a media storage system that may or may not be worth it to you. It costs money. And time. Eventually you will have a hardware problem with some component, and if you can't fix it yourself, it will just get frustrating.

I've been a computer dork my whole life so I have no problem tearing them apart and putting them back together again. But I hate computers as much as I love them. Are there just random people who can do this for you? No not really. There's no quick way to to it. It just takes patience and time. If you wanted to do it, you could pay me and I'd do it for you. But that wouldn't really be worth it to anyone since it's the conversion process that takes time. There isn't a lot of actual work, just clicking and waiting.
post #1020 of 3019 Old 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
One more advantage, which to me is one of the biggest: no unskippable ads, FBI warnings, and trailers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page