Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC WEEKEND REPORT - ALL ABOUT FABRIC PANELS - Part 2
So we started with a pile of frames
Painted them Mouse Ears black
Wrapped and stapled (Porter Cable Upholstery stapler) with fabric. Don't even think about doing this with a manual stapler. My electric was never up to the challenge either.
You see that we added mid span support pieces to prevent bowing. These were just pieces of 1/2 plywood painted black on one side and held in position with the staples.
Then we fitted in the 1 inch cotton insulation, the mid span support was positioned to accommodate a full width piece of the cotton.
We added a belt of fabric scrap to keep the insulation from flopping out as we move them about.
As Damelon mentioned once we had the first one done and propped up on the wall we knew immediately that we had a problem. The columns were too orange. Now at this point we had already invested several hours picking out a color but it wasn't until we had several square feet of the fabric up on the wall that up could tell we had a problem. We pressed ahead somewhat bummed that we had this issue and finished a full section of the red panels so that we could position them and get a good look.
Yup, too orange.
So out with all the paint samples and we found a color that is going to work.
So back to making panels.
The rear wall acoustical plan (BPape) calls for two inches of rigid fiberglass board, two inches off the rear wall, with a paper scrim.
The two inch insulation (OC705) boards
A coat of 3M 77 spray adhesive. Notice we took this outside
on with the brown wrapping paper
and into a two inch frame. These were 4 layers of 1/2 inch plywood.
moved to the wall, you can see with fastened 2 inch furring strips to the walls to hold the panels, these were 2x3s cut down and attached with 3 1/2 inch screws.
Finally it was time to tackle that door section
to the left of the door
we put the insulation on the wall first
then popped on the frame
we will still need to staple and cut out for the switches later,
On to the other two sections.
We had these pesky hinges so we needed to add about 3/16 notch in the side of the panels so they would fit nicely.
on with the fabric
Last shot of the panels is a color test of the new paint and panel molding, we like it.
one other housekeeping detail is the air supply grill, 8 x 24 got painted and installed under the soffit.