post #1261 of 2473 Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

comparison of a bunch of the ones dicussed.

The cross hatching is about an inch square in the following from Home Depot

what I have, Masland Quadrate

Also available

What Sandman has (he got a guy to crawl on his hands and knees and dye the stripes red)

Which carpet did you actually go with, any of these? I am trying to compare but can't really tell.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2473 Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Made a trip out to lowes and found a carpet I liked. It's also a square pattern but larger and has a distinct "relief" to it. It's supposed to be all black, but because of the cut it appears black and dark gray. The price is very good.

The style is this

And the color example online, though it is much more pronounced in this image than it really is.
The color difference is much more blended than the photo.

That's what I got. I purchased it from Lowes.

post #1263 of 2473 Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

So it is, hmm, wish they had it listed on their website.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #1264 of 2473 Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

So it is, hmm, wish they had it listed on their website.

They used to have it online! (Thats where those top two photos came from) But now that I'm looking, I don't see it. There were some at Home Depot and some at Lowes which were all close competitors for my final choice. I went to several "Carpet" stores and found absolutely nothing that I liked compared to the ones at Lowes/HD. When I saw this last one though, i knew it was exactly what I wanted. It is a pretty thick carpet though, so it messed with the door threshold we had. The door with the seal was too low for the carpet, and in order to make the door clear the carpet we had to trim the bottom. That ended up leaving a gap between the threshold and seal. It does mess with the soundproofing since there is an air gap until I raise the threshold, but in all honesty I have yet to watch a movie in there when anyone else is in the house and NOT in the theater, so it's not a high priority.
post #1265 of 2473 Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Did Lowes install the carpet for you damelon?

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1266 of 2473 Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Did Lowes install the carpet for you damelon?

No, my wife is a real-estate agent, so she has her go-to guys for HVAC, carpet, paint, etc in the area. So our carpet guy had his installers come in and install it (They did the padding too) They did it very quickly, and it was a decent job.
post #1267 of 2473 Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 580
D, Bzbase thinks that your carpet would look good in his dark purple room, stopped in his nearby Lowe's today. Does style Silver Lake, and color LO16 Gothic suite ring a bell? The sample looks so Black.
post #1268 of 2473 Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D, Bzbase thinks that your carpet would look in his dark purple room, stopped in Lowes today. Does style Silver Lake, and color LO16 Gothic suite ring a bell? The sample looks so Black.

They both do sound very familiar. I looked at it, that's for sure, and I'm almost positive I got silver lake as the style. The problem with samples on that carpet is that the small pieces are way too small to show how it looks.
post #1269 of 2473 Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
damelon,

what version of unRaid are you using? I'm planning to take the plunge and migrate my WHS to unRaid in the next few weeks, and I'm not sure if I should go with the latest stable release (4.7 I think), or try out the beta version.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1270 of 2473 Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

damelon,

what version of unRaid are you using? I'm planning to take the plunge and migrate my WHS to unRaid in the next few weeks, and I'm not sure if I should go with the latest stable release (4.7 I think), or try out the beta version.

I am running 4.7. Have not yet felt the need to go to v5. I feel safer here.
post #1271 of 2473 Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Runnin 4.6 here with no issues.

Tim
post #1272 of 2473 Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm running 5 beta 13. Have been for almost half of a year now with no issues. I had to go with beta 5 to support my 3TB hard drives, as they are not supported in version 4.

I use the ps3mediaserver plugin, the APC ups plugin, the myMain menu thing, and I think that's all.

Been running great so far.
post #1273 of 2473 Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The unRaid forum is very helpful, but I feel like you have to understand everything to, well, understand it.

Aside from 3TB drive support, are there any other advantages to version 5? I'd really like to set this thing up and not have to worry with it for a while as the rest of this year is going to be very busy!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1274 of 2473 Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The unRaid forum is very helpful, but I feel like you have to understand everything to, well, understand it.

Aside from 3TB drive support, are there any other advantages to version 5? I'd really like to set this thing up and not have to worry with it for a while as the rest of this year is going to be very busy!

Well with the new version came many bug fixes as well, but also it is still labeled a "beta", so there are new problems introduced. Version 5 has been in beta for a VERY long time though. I went with version 13 because it seemed to be the most stable version at the time. I haven't had a single problem in the last 6 months. (Or the entire time, depending on how you want to look at it)

It really depends on what you want it to do, etc. I needed to run version 5. If you aren't using 3tb hdds, there is no real need to run version 5. But then again, it's been out for so long now, which means all of their fixes and improvements have been focused on that version for a very long time, as well as plugin development. I'm surprised it isn't out of beta yet.

I love that program though. The entire server has such a small footprint on that thumb drive. Backup is so simple for the server configuration. The auto-spin up/down works great. Yeah writes are a little slow to the array but almost every time it is a write once, read many type of deal. I'm able to play all of my full quality blu-ray mkv's without any problems over the network.
post #1275 of 2473 Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

version 5 has a new GUI...

I have considered testing v5 in a non production environment, just haven't...Might be worth a look one day.

V4 has been solid to date, so I just havent seen the need to upgrade as I do not have 3TB drives yet.
post #1276 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Closeup of Light Switches and Doorknob

Any reason why you didn't go with a grafik eye setup besides maybe cost?

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #1277 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any reason why you didn't go with a grafik eye setup besides maybe cost?

Well cost definitely. That and need. I just didn't need it. I can RF remote the lights if I need to, but I rarely ever even need that. I just turn on the lights when we go in the room, and turn them off when the movie is ready to start and sit down. I guess I never understood the point of advanced lighting macros for a movie room. Wasn't something I ever really cared that much about.
post #1278 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What lighting system did use?

post #1279 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Materials 4 Leviton RF Dimmers Smarthome 266.52 http://www.smarthome.com/45071Z.html
Materials 4 Black Face Kit for Leviton Dimmers Smarthome 7.48 http://www.smarthome.com/86558BK.html

From Damelon's cost breakdown post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21138019

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #1280 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well cost definitely. That and need. I just didn't need it. I can RF remote the lights if I need to, but I rarely ever even need that. I just turn on the lights when we go in the room, and turn them off when the movie is ready to start and sit down. I guess I never understood the point of advanced lighting macros for a movie room. Wasn't something I ever really cared that much about.

What do you have wired to the switches? I see 4 switches, that mean there are 4 zones? Whats on each zone?

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #1281 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for pointing out the cost breakdown cdika! I was ready to post a link when I saw your post. I tried to make that in the first place so people could look it up but I guess it does get lost in the middle of the thread.

Quote:

What do you have wired to the switches? I see 4 switches, that mean there are 4 zones? Whats on each zone?

1) Side and Rear soffit lights
2) Stage soffit Lights
3) Ceiling Rope-Lights
4) Riser step-lights

And to be honest, I am not thrilled with those step lights. I may switch them out. They don't put out enough light to really even see that they're there. Needs to be a little brighter.
post #1282 of 2473 Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Any reason someone couldn't use a set of Lutron Maestro IRs? Are the Leviton's better? I was going to go with Maestro IRs for wall sconces, can lights, and then some regular switches for the rope lights (color changing LED, so they will be turned on and off via remote anyway) and for the star ceiling panel that is just on/off. I haven't purchased yet, so I am just asking...

http://www.dimmers.net/maestro_ir.asp
post #1283 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Any reason someone couldn't use a set of Lutron Maestro IRs? Are the Leviton's better? I was going to go with Maestro IRs for wall sconces, can lights, and then some regular switches for the rope lights (color changing LED, so they will be turned on and off via remote anyway) and for the star ceiling panel that is just on/off. I haven't purchased yet, so I am just asking...

http://www.dimmers.net/maestro_ir.asp

There is no reason you couldn't use those. However I wanted to use RF/Z-Wave and be able to control them without directly pointing at them. Based on where they are in the room it wouldn't be a big deal for me either way, but I prefer to not require Line of Sight, and my harmony supports RF so it worked great for me.
post #1284 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Makes since. Thanks for the clarification. My light switches will be to the side and slightly in front of the seating area. I just figured that they would generally be controlled once, maybe three times (in case of a bathroom/food/phone stop) during a movie. Plus my Harmony One isn't RF.

Thanks again. Now back to just watching your build continue.
post #1285 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So looks like the plan is that on the wall exterior to the movie room we are going to put a stone veneer and sconces. So the entryway will need to be finished up (Painted). This will also mesh into the bar area behind the theater, but I'm not sure on the timetable as we are looking to do a lot of outdoor work like patio, pool, hot tub, etc. My wife will be the driving force on priority there as I'm sure we can't do it all at once. Still, I will provide photos and updates once any of that happens, even though it isn't technically part of the theater.
post #1286 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

And to be honest, I am not thrilled with those step lights. I may switch them out. They don't put out enough light to really even see that they're there. Needs to be a little brighter.

I am reaching the same conclusion after having installed a couple more of these bargain lights (Under $10)

I did some searching based on something to stuff in a standard single gang box and run on line voltage. Found a couple LED lights.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/led-...e_g547088.html

http://www.laststoplighting.com/p6827-30.html

on LED lights 3000k isn't too unnatural of a color light, if you go higher they start getting Bluish/white.

The first (cheaper) doesn't mention if they are dimmable would need to check.
post #1287 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am reaching the same conclusion after having installed a couple more of these bargain lights (Under $10)

I did some searching based on something to stuff in a standard single gang box and run on line voltage. Found a couple LED lights.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/led-...e_g547088.html

http://www.laststoplighting.com/p6827-30.html

on LED lights 3000k isn't too unnatural of a color light, if you go higher they start getting Bluish/white.

The first (cheaper) doesn't mention if they are dimmable would need to check.

I dont know if it's the bulb itself or the actual cover. I dont think that cover lets out a lot of light in general. As long as it has a cover like that, I dont think the dimming part would matter. However I think something like this would be necessary to give out enough light to actually make it more visible.

http://www.lightingdirect.com/elco-e...ce=gba_1661374
post #1288 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

My bias is to use lights that don't have the potential to shine in the direction of the screen, that is why on the front side of a riser I like the louver design. On the side it is a different story.
post #1289 of 2473 Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

My bias is to use lights that don't have the potential to shine in the direction of the screen, that is why on the front side of a riser I like the louver design. On the side it is a different story.

+1, I had to change my front riser light cover to a louvre one as it was reflecting off the hardwood floor onto the screen.
post #1290 of 2473 Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't want that either. It still needs to be bright enough though to actually have a function. They are just too dim as-is. Trial and error I guess!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Optoma Th1060p Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , M80 V3 Floorstanding Speaker Boston Cherry , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Seaton Sound Submersive H P
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page